Sign in to follow this  
LordHorusNL

Time for Weapon Saftey!

Just do it like they do in real life? Surely you don't get British Army soldiers being spotted because they "accidently" pressed the trigger finger? Just do what I was taught in basic, don't point the rifle at anything you don't intend to kill or destroy. And also sounds like some people need steadier hands!

smile_o.gif

keep your finger on the middle mouse button until your ready to fire!

Easiest way to do, no need for download, no need to install or anything!

Otherwise, take away the controll from LMB, and just use CTRL?

A safety catch is trivially easy to implement on an addon

using an extra "mode". I did it for all my OFP addon weapons

(unreleased). It added to the realism by forcing one to

consider the state one's weapon was in all the time. The

problem I found, though, is that if you gave an AI man a

weapon with a safety, the game (OFP) would always crash

as soon as he tried to fire. This eventually necessitated

creating a separate "player-only" weapon that had the

special safety catch feature.

I purposely tried not to look in this thread. Now that I have, it is hands down THE dumbest thread I have yet to see. You NEED a safety switch cause your finger slipped on the mouse button???

It`s a joke eh??? LOL

well ai dont have trigger happy finger like the human player does

@Shataan

it happens m8, it happens confused_o.gif

Should be working great when applied to the mouse. Has some kind of teaching effect aswell.

Should be working great when applied to the mouse. Has some kind of teaching effect aswell.

rofl.gif

Don't forget to put the cheese into the mouse-trap!

rofl.gif

My suggestion:

52.jpg

Should be working without a patch.

Brilliant wink_o.gif

Hello

I, for one, do like the idea of a safety.

As long as it can be tied into a key press and not the evil "scrolly selector of doom".

Is it really needed? well no, but I know I have accidently discharged in my time. (that sounds so wrong, if you have a Franky Howerd sense of humour).

I do, however, think that Arma does need some kind of "Gun Safety" protocol/awareness built into it.

How to impliment this is for minds greater than mine, but the game does not give the sense of having a loaded gun in ones hands. And of course the penalty for shooting a friendly doesnt have quite the same gravity.

So, I'd like to see something, just what it is, I'm not sure!

rgds

LoK

Lets have a look at the guys who wants a reminder...erm "Weapon Safety":

lordhorus, Winters1807, Donnervogel, Odie3 maybe Frederf wink_o.gif

Not so many to recognize them in MP *aaaaaaaaahhhhh

Balschoiw you make my day biggrin_o.gif

I see no reason to put a weapon safety into ArmA, especially as a firemode that will further clutter the method of changing weapons.

Keep your "trigger finger" off of the fire button until you're ready to shoot. It's really simple, totally effective, and it does not require any addons.

I will personally be against any mod that introduces a "Safe" fire mode. It's just not necessary. The weapon selection method is clumsy enough as it is, we don't need to add any extraneous options to it.

I see no reason to put a weapon safety into ArmA, especially as a firemode that will further clutter the method of changing weapons.

Keep your "trigger finger" off of the fire button until you're ready to shoot. It's really simple, totally effective, and it does not require any addons.

I will personally be against any mod that introduces a "Safe" fire mode. It's just not necessary. The weapon selection method is clumsy enough as it is, we don't need to add any extraneous options to it.

I wouldn't say the weapon selection is clumsy, but I agree that an additional "safe fire mode" would be unnecessary.

My finger used to slip occasionally, and that tought me not to have it resting on the left mouse button when I wasn't planning on shooting something.

There is the lower weapon key ... but perhaps you just have a itchy trigger finger tounge2.gif

indeed. lowering the weapon will prevent you from firing

Quote[/b] ]Discussing this really is pointless. Some people want it, some don't. It's no big deal. BIS are certainly not going to do it, but that's ok because the OP even said that he could do it himself - so he should do it and release it for the people who want to use it.

Truer words have never been spoken.

I don't think its such a stooopid idea, y u not just keep ur finger off da button?!?!1 since the exact same concept applied to real life sounds asinine. While it's been a few years since I innocently discharged my weapon into the dirt, it's been only a few weeks since someone else discharged a weapon... into someone's back, during a long operation.

You can have all the steady hands in the world but you cannot help the person beside you. Trust me, some of these people are French AND Canadian. And when you give a French Canadian a rifle you want it to have 27 safeties. Heaven help me trying to get sensible action out of some people is like trying to teach a brick wall calculus.

All in all it'll be a feature for some people and not everyone. Just like respawn. There's a hand salute in the game, doesn't do anything productive, but it still makes the game more like you're there. That's how I feel about a weapon safety.

PS: The AI issue I've heard about. First I wouldn't make that fire mode the default (although starting on safe would be idea), I think I can code a safety without the game CTD if the enemy happened to fire it, and I'm pretty sure I can code it so the AI will never attempt to use the safe fire mode.

This is useless and waste of time implementing. Especially since ARMA has so many severe problems that needs working on.

What the hell would safety add other than something annoying and stupid that you rarely use? Its a game, get used to it.

In RL, you also have to clean you weapon, don't you want that in the game? Perhaps in an option? icon_rolleyes.gif

I would be gratefull to every new features what bring more realism to game.

How do I re-enable the non-safety mode with that safety switch addon? Do I have to input my mouse, or my finger? nener.gifrofl.gif

That's hysterical dude

I back a "enable safety" option for weapons!

Sometimes the game runs slow and i'm looking in the Gear screen. I hit "Done" and I accidentally discharge a round. A right panic moment for me and my team. crazy_o.gif

1. Dont point your weapon at teammates. And beware that you are not doing that unintentionally.

2. Keep finger off left mouse button.

3. Lower your weapon

Three options I choose from depending on situation.

Quote[/b] ]don't think its such a stooopid idea, y u not just keep ur finger off da button?!?!1 since the exact same concept applied to real life sounds asinine. While it's been a few years since I innocently discharged my weapon into the dirt, it's been only a few weeks since someone else discharged a weapon... into someone's back, during a long operation.

1) The penalties for doing without a mechanical safety in real life and the penalities for going without in a video game are not comparable. This is the place to learn the discipline to not depend on a mechanical safaty. A mechanical safety on a real firearm is a essential thing but one should never substitute good gunhandling skills for a mechanical fix. The safety is there when all else fails, not a crutch to be leaned upon exclusively.

2) I can with ingraned habit operate the thumb safety on a H&K USP Compact and a M1911A1 and the safety selector on an AR-15/M-16 series as I present the weapon to the target.  I also with ingraned habit re-engege the saftey when I bring the weapon down.  This requires no superconscious effort on my part.  It has been trained thru repetition and enforced thru mindset.  It is automatic, ingraned and seamless.  I do this with zero penality in time to bring the weapon to bear on the target as all of these weapons were designed with this ergonometric feature.  

With the overburdned keyboard, there is no way to implement this without encumbering operation of your virtual weapon and inducing the inevitible casuality due to the inability to bring the weapon to bear on a target.  Ergonometric effenciency will not be found.

Yeah i think most "normal" player use those common sence tactics, however i missed this option in OFP since day1 and was sad to see it missing from Arma also.

So OK maybe i was talking about those special situations where your finger slips due to a "Chitto related Accident" whistle.gif

BTW this would not be such a stupid feature for the legion of people who dont seem to understand that you cant start shooting in circles in your own base pistols.gif I think i got TK about 20 times last night playing Evo0 Maybe with a safety feature they will get the message.

To try to put it into some sort of context, the safety catch

feature I made was meant for a "Northern Ireland OFP mod"

where the intention was to try to "re-educate" players about

weapon safety and the serious import of firing live ammo in

those special circumstancces.

The missions we were planning would emphasise more

of the other aspects of operating in the province rather

than just shooting. Crown forces players, for example ,

would patrol with loaded, but safe, weapons most of the

time. We really did want to make it all quite unlike the

average OFP mission.

An applied safety catch, we thought, would catch out (pun

intended) a lot of casual players of the mod during the odd

fleeting contacts with the Boyos of the IRA, and add a tiny

bit to the realistic feeling of apprehension and frustration that

we wanted to try to portray. We felt that having to actually

select "Fire" would represent the actions of flicking off safety

and making ready - which was SOP on the streets in NI. But

sadly it all came not to pass and the NI mod was killed off by

dinosaurs (ask Smiley_Nick).

I'm pretty sure I tried reordering the default firing mode.

Anyway I've not looked at that config for quite some time

now.

Pressing "F" 4 times instead of 3 isn't annoying. Having enemy enemy platoon target your forehead because you slipped your finger onto the trigger 3 hours into an infiltration is annoying.

Pressing "F" another time is not annoying, pressing "F" too many times and ending up throwing a grenade is annoying. I should only tap it once, but honestly with so many weapon selections I'm frequently overtapping the button. I'm at "safe" I get into a fight so I tap the button once to semi, then I need to toss a grenade. So I tap "F" twice. Now I need to switch back to "semi" so I need to tap it twice. Why isn't my rifle firing? What the hell, oh crap I need to tap the button one more time, I forgot I was carrying smoke. Oh crap I tapped it one too many times, I gotta cycle all the way back to "semi".

It's nowhere near as complex in real life for one, you just *click* and it's safe or not safe. It'd be like requesting BIS to make a button that makes you breathe, and if you forget to press it you asphyxiate and die. I'm sure someone would love that since they want to use proper breathing techniques for marksmanship.

The best solution to negligent discharges? Don't click. Hell in real life it's the same, don't pull the trigger.

Let's have some quote fun (with a lot of grammar and spelling errors fixed):

Quote[/b] ]1) The penalties for doing without a mechanical safety in real life and the penalties for going without in a video game are not comparable.

So? Killing your friend in real life and TKing your friend in a video game aren't comparable either, doesn't make TKing an acceptable thing.

Quote[/b] ]This is the place to learn the discipline to not depend on a mechanical safaty. A mechanical safety on a real firearm is a essential thing but one should never substitute good gunhandling skills for a mechanical fix. The safety is there when all else fails, not a crutch to be leaned upon exclusively.

What was this assumption that ArmA players would learn upon a mechanical safety like a crutch? I must have missed when that was made.

Quote[/b] ]With the overburdened keyboard, there is no way to implement this without encumbering operation of your virtual weapon and inducing the inevitable causality due to the inability to bring the weapon to bear on a target. Ergonomic efficiency will not be found.

This is true. Ideally, the safety function would be offloaded to another keybind (making it entirely up to the player if they wanted to participate in the feature or not) to relieve the overburdened "F"-key. I am just being realistic in terms of the scope of the mod maker's ability to change the game.

Quote[/b] ]Pressing "F" another time is not annoying, pressing "F" too many times and ending up throwing a grenade is annoying. I should only tap it once, but honestly with so many weapon selections I'm frequently over tapping the button.

This is irrelevant to the safety idea or not. This annoyance exists either way. Again a "Change Weapon" command should exist alongside the "Change Firemode" command. Back in OFP all "throw" weapons were the same and you had to reload different ammo for them (smoke, frag, colored smoke, etc). Now each one gets a fire mode and it does clog up the interface quite a bit.

Quote[/b] ]The best solution to negligent discharges? Don't click. Hell in real life it's the same, don't pull the trigger.

That's not correct. In real life there is a safe weapon mode. Why is everyone being so argumentative and against a feature that will show in some custom addon that they'll never play? Do they really have such a problem with someone else playing the game with more minutia?