Sign in to follow this  
LordHorusNL

Time for Weapon Saftey!

Right so i was playing Arma multiplayer today, for the first time ever (very cool btw) And in one mission on the base "safe zone" my finger slipped onto the primary mouse button and i almost blew a team members head off biggrin_o.gif

So why dont the Arma weapons have a safety switch? it would be simple to add a new magazine to the config so the weapon starts with the saftey on and this would prevent friendly fire in safe areas.

Why hasn't this been modded in yet? even i could do this and i suck at scripting whistle.gif

What do people think about this? discuss minions!!!!

from "Black Hawk Down" movie : my safety switch is my finger ... biggrin_o.gif

I realised this a while back and i totally agree, especially if you are trying to sneak around some AI, and your silly team member discharges a round, this could make a useful addon.

There is the lower weapon key ... but perhaps you just have a itchy trigger finger tounge2.gif

from my experience this is quite realistic. There's always some idiot having forgot to switch safety on - sadly.

besides it was just funny in OFP when for example the mission was finished and everyone was running back to extraction zone and someone fired unintentionally and everyone goes panic looking for cover, lots of chatter in voice coms "where did it come from?" - "sorry guys it was me..." wink_o.gif

hehe yeah well safety would be cool but imo i can live without , btw if you press left ctrl ( default ) twice your soldiers goes into safe mode or patrol mode. So you dont need to worry of itchy trigger fingers or to scare your team members tounge2.gif

keep your finger on the middle mouse button until your ready to fire!

It would be a realistic feature. However it would be offset by a fact that no one would ever use it...

I think that most people, myself included, would rather take a chance of firing an unintentional shot over not being able to fire when your life depends on it.

Peace,

DreDay

Quote[/b] ]even i could do this and i suck at scripting

I believe you just solved your own problem...

Seems kind of pointless in my opinion. It'd be another key to remember that could easily be susituted by keeping your finger off the "trigger".

It's called a negligent discharge. If you're dumb enough to fire accidentally perhaps you shouldn't be allowed to carry a weapon in ArmA. Be a civilian. wink_o.gif

A good way to stop yourself from doing it is to drop and to 20 pushups whenever you do it. If you do it a lot, you'll soon be ripped.

This is useless and waste of time implementing. Especially since ARMA has so many severe problems that needs working on.

What the hell would safety add other than something annoying and stupid that you rarely use? Its a game, get used to it.

In RL, you also have to clean you weapon, don't you want that in the game? Perhaps in an option? icon_rolleyes.gif

^ ...

Don't touch the trigger untill it's time to destroy something and never point your muzzle at a friendly unit.

If you follow these you really don't need a safe switch. But if you're not abselutely sure you can do these two things, drop all your magazines and pick them up again. Now you have to reload before you can AD.

I (and 4IB) would love to have a "safe" fire mode. We also should be teaching "don't point at what you don't want to shoot".

I'm looking into coding one in a config.cpp.

1) Double tap ctrl - keeps gun pointing to the floor. If you do happen to fire, you'll shoot your own foot instead of an enemys eye.

2) Don't have your finger on the trigger in safe zone areas.

Another way this can be done, made as an addon which would simply be having an empty magazine for all weapons acting as a safety firing mode. Switch to this using the Switch fire mode keys. You now have Semi, Burst, Auto and SAFE.

It will be an empty mag by default so nothing gets fired. It all depends how excited you get in game..

Excerpts from weapons.pbo config.bin:

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">class Mode_SemiAuto {

multiplier = 1;

burst = 1;

displayName = "$STR_DN_MODE_SEMIAUTO";

dispersion = 0.000200;

sound = {"", 10.000000, 1};

soundContinuous = 0;

reloadTime = 0.100000;

ffCount = 1;

ffMagnitude = 0.500000;

ffFrequency = 11;

flash = "gunfire";

flashSize = 0.100000;

recoil = "Empty";

recoilProne = "Empty";

autoFire = 0;

aiRateOfFire = 0.500000;

aiRateOfFireDistance = 500;

useAction = 0;

useActionTitle = "";

showToPlayer = 1;

minRange = 30;

minRangeProbab = 0.100000;

midRange = 300;

midRangeProbab = 0.580000;

maxRange = 600;

maxRangeProbab = 0.040000;

};

class Mode_Burst: Mode_SemiAuto {

displayName = "$STR_DN_MODE_BURST";

burst = 3;

dispersion = 0.000500;

minRange = 10;

midRange = 60;

maxRange = 150;

};

class Mode_FullAuto: Mode_SemiAuto {

displayName = "$STR_DN_MODE_FULLAUTO";

dispersion = 0.000500;

soundContinuous = 0;

reloadTime = 0.080000;

autoFire = 1;

minRange = 1;

midRange = 30;

maxRange = 80;

};

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">class M16A2: Rifle {

scope = 2;

value = 0;

model = "\ca\weapons\m16_proxy";

optics = 1;

dexterity = 1.640000;

displayName = "$STR_DN_M16A2";

picture = "\CA\weapons\data\equip\w_m16_ca.paa";

UiPicture = "\CA\weapons\data\Ico\i_regular_CA.paa";

drySound = {"\ca\Weapons\Data\Sound\M16_cock_v1", 0.000316, 1};

reloadMagazineSound = {"\ca\Weapons\Data\Sound\M16_reload_v1", 0.010000, 1};

magazines = {"20Rnd_556x45_Stanag", "30Rnd_556x45_Stanag", "30Rnd_556x45_StanagSD"};

modes = {"Single", "Burst"};

class Single: Mode_SemiAuto {

sound = {"\ca\Weapons\Data\Sound\M16_3_SS_A", 7.943283, 1};

reloadTime = 0.150000;

recoil = "assaultRifleBase";

recoilProne = "assaultRifleBase";

dispersion = 0.001500;

minRange = 2;

midRange = 250;

midRangeProbab = 0.700000;

maxRange = 400;

maxRangeProbab = 0.050000;

};

class Burst: Mode_Burst {

sound = {"\ca\Weapons\Data\Sound\M16_3_BS_Aa", 10.000000, 1};

recoil = "assaultRifleBase";

recoilProne = "assaultRifleBase";

dispersion = 0.004000;

};

class Library {

libTextDesc = "$STR_LIB_M16";

};

};

Why not have a new mode?

Quote[/b] ]class Mode_Safety: Mode_SemiAuto {

displayName = "$STR_DN_MODE_SAFETY";

burst = 0;

dispersion = 0.000500;

};

Quote[/b] ] class Safety: Mode_Safety {

sound = {"\ca\Weapons\Data\Sound\M16_Safety", 10.000000, 1};

recoil = "assaultRifleSafety";

recoilProne = "assaultRifleSafety";

dispersion = 0.0;

};

You could also make AddOn weapons that didn't override the originals

Because it's annoying enough switching through all the options to get the one you want. I'm at "Safe" I want to toss a grenade, I have to cycle through Safe->Semi->Burst->Grenade.

And what if I'm a team leader and I'm carrying smoke grenades? Safe->Semi->Burst->Grenades->Smoke(red)->Smoke(Green)

As much as I like realism and all that, the easiest solution is to not fire.

Pressing "F" 4 times instead of 3 isn't annoying. Having enemy enemy platoon target your forehead because you slipped your finger onto the trigger 3 hours into an infiltration is annoying.

This seems to indicate more an annoyance with how BIS made the control interface than anything else. Most games that I know of with multiple weapons and weapons with multiple fire modes put them on separate keys.

To each their own, but this argument that no one wants an optional addon that would add a feature to the game because others might not the incremental complexity is well... you fill in the blank.

Discussing this really is pointless. Some people want it, some don't. It's no big deal. BIS are certainly not going to do it, but that's ok because the OP even said that he could do it himself - so he should do it and release it for the people who want to use it.

You can't deny that having a safety switch would make the guns more 'realistic'. However, along with other people here, I feel that in the context of ArmA it's far more realistic to have to train people trigger discipline, and never pointing at friendlies (for example, lowering your gun if you're behind someone in a hallway).

But guys, let's not argue about whether it should be done or not - if someone wants it and can make it, let them make it for the people who want it! =D

aaaarrrrrgggg

I just had the vision of a 16 year old, 8 years dedicated FPS DM player, just joined the army, waiting to get his hands on a real assault rifle for his first shooting leasons crazy_o.gif

might be better for anything moving round the next corner, if he DON'T know what a safty switch is and how to use it from reflex rofl.gif

QuietMan

Like I said, the only way it's going to exist in ArmA is via an addon.

Up to you if you want to use it then..

I fully agree with jason, double tap control and if you have your finger on the middle mouse button move it so both your fingers are on the right mouse button, thus the middle button acts as a divider