Sign in to follow this  
kronzky

Evolution - Single Player

Yesterday I found only one problem, after cleared one city I've back to the air port and I take A-10 when I aproach to the next city there was only 2 shilkas... I've destroyed that shilkas and I racived message that city is clear smile_o.gif

0.12 is runing much better then previous version.  yay.gif

During 3h of may tests I didn't must to use FLUSH any more smile_o.gif

BTW. KilJoy Russian ver. is amaizing biggrin_o.gif

I hope someone understand me  tounge2.gif

Quote[/b] ]0.12 is runing much better then previous version.

Yeah... 0.12 seems to be quite stable.

I've been playing on one mission now for well over 6 hours (over two days), cleared all of S.Sahrani (Paraiso via code), and haven't come across a single problem with the mission so far.

So perhaps we're finally getting ready for an official release! yay.gif

I'm wondering though whether I should deduct some penalty points whenever one of your AI-units die.

I know, quite often they get themselves killed, but I want to prevent players from using them like "expendables" (esp. since you can remotely recruit them). So I'm considering a 500 point penalty perhaps. What do you guys think?

I don't mind losing points for AI, I take care of them pretty well smile_o.gif

You can still fly over a town without activating the ai, I used a Cobra to take out the shilkas and landed in the grey area to activate the infantry but all I got was a town cleared message.

Even leaving one shilka alive and then entering the grey area on foot doesn't always activate the spawning.

firefoxlover.gif

I don't mind losing points for AI, I take care of them pretty well  smile_o.gif

You can still fly over a town without activating the ai, I used a Cobra to take out the shilkas and landed in the grey area to activate the infantry but all I got was a town cleared message.

Even leaving one shilka alive and then entering the grey area on foot doesn't always activate the spawning.

firefoxlover.gif

I was trying to explain that I've got the same problem rofl.gif eh... I must learn english a little bit more :P

Can someone tell me how many points it is to corporal. On the wiki it says 500 but on the forum 5000 is mentioned. Anyway I have just gone to a town and deystroyed a shilka where can I see how many points that I have? even though I am not taking on side missions but just trying to take out vehicles ect. Shilka had a crew so should I expect 1600 points? When I have accrued the right no of points how do I actually change my rank from private to corporal?

impi

Quote[/b] ]Can someone tell me how many points it is to corporal. On the wiki it says 500 but on the forum 5000 is mentioned.

if you look at the notepad on the map (press M) you'll see there are 4 buttons at the top. Click on notes and it'll show you the ranks you need to gain higher ranks and by clicking on the links on that page it'll also show you what each rank unlocks etc. etc.

Quote[/b] ]Anyway I have just gone to a town and deystroyed a shilka where can I see how many points that I have?

To see the number of points you have you need to use the radio command to bring up the mission minimap. hit 0 - 0 - 0 to bring up the minimap (though take the time at each step to look at all the other options you can choose for future reference).

Quote[/b] ]even though I am not taking on side missions but just trying to take out vehicles ect. Shilka had a crew so should I expect 1600 points?

I really don't know what point values are associated with each unit so I can't answer that one.

Quote[/b] ]When I have accrued the right no of points how do I actually change my rank from private to corporal?

impi

When you hit the right amount of points your rank will AUTOMATICALLY change, you don't have to do a thing.

hope that helps

cheers mate...much appreciated

impi

Heading from dolores to Ortego I took out the shilka east of the town ( not in grey circle ) and then entered Ortego on foot.

Still no enemy spawn.

The Officer was there and I could capture him.

I start the mission by using the "resume" button, could this have any bearing on the problem ?

I can't try again as I saved after the shilka.

I hope this can be fixed.

Edit: Bah, I wanted this in the Evo SP thread, feel free to move

The readme hasn't been updated since .7, right? Just want to make sure I am running the latest (grabbed it from the author's website).

And also, I am sure it has been said a few million times already, but is respawning possible? If it is possible to dynamically add units to the Team Switch menu, maybe just keep a pool of 2 or 3 in said list, and refill it every X minutes?

Either way, GREAT job. Having the time of my life. It will never truly replace the joys of MP, but it is nice to be able to play (without setting up a game with friends) without being completely screwed by twelve kilometer hikes at Private. Thanks.

Can someone PM me the code for Captain as I forgot to right down that code and after clearing Cayo I got a corrupted save which always takes me back to desktop.

The corupted save happened while I had captured AI active in transport and although I have been playing many versions for a while now I don't actualy remember ever saving while transporting AI before so I will avoid that until they are fully return as a precausion.

I was using version 11 but now on 12.

The codes are different for every user, because they are generated related to the username.

Great job on the mission it is fan-freakin-tastic! I dont, however, really like the idea of the penalty for an AI death.

In my case, I set up on the hill overlooking the first town (Paraiso?) and set my 2 AI units up for overwatch. I snuck a little into the town, then had my soldiers open fire on the soldiers guarding the radio tower. I sprinted over and layed two satchels down, then sprinted back and set them off, but as I tried to make my escape over the hills, my AI guys didnt want to disengage, and one got killed  mad_o.gif

The penalty is good discoruagement against using them as fodder, but I think it will penalize more for just regular combat deaths and less for misuse. Of course, 500 points isn't that much, but still...

Anyways, excellent job on the mission, its exactly what I needed. notworthy.gif  notworthy.gif  notworthy.gif

Kronzky,

I know that the current version is 0.13, but I'd still like to report the city bug for 0.12, since you mentioned that this should be fixed. I uploaded a saved game archve with two saved games from 0.12 where Ortego and Dolores are immediately cleared when I enter them. It happens whther I enter the cities on foot or by tank or truck; I haven't tried choppers. (.19 is the actual save with the problem, .18 is for 7 minutes earlier.)

Here is the link for the save games: Link

I'll try to play 0.13 and see if I still get this problem. I'm sorry for the false report if this is already fixed; if not, I hope it'll help fixing it.

Thanks,

xxbbcc

PS: I used the ModWarSound addon, you might need it to load the games.

Quote[/b] ]I uploaded a saved game archve with two saved games from 0.12 where Ortego and Dolores are immediately cleared when I enter them.

This should be fixed in the 0.13 version.

There was a problem when AI units were entering the city before you (which could cause the "empty city syndrome" in some cases), but that is hopefully fixed in 0.13.

Other new things in 0.13 are:

[*]Penalty points for dead team members: If one of your AI teammates die you will lose 500 points.

I understand that some of the fatalities are out of your control, due to the occasional "stupidity" of the AI, but since the penalty is only 500 points that shouldn't be too much of a problem if you do try to keep'em alive. Clearing a city should give you around 20 to 30,000 points, so even if you lose 10 AI units that's only 5,000 point. If, OTOH, you treat them like cannon-fodder, recruiting one after another, then it will effect your rating.

[*]You can now select the drop-off point for remotely recruited units (within a 200 meter radius of your position). In case you didn't know: if you leave one of your AI units back at the base you can use that one to have another unit recruited and para-dropped while you're still in the field.

[*]If you achieve an rank via a passcode you will still start out with zero points (even though you have the advanced capabilities). This was changed to prevent "points cheating". Since you could first clear a few towns the hard way to gain your rank (and passcode), and then restart the game, get promoted right away, and then clear the cities again, this time with much better equipment, this could've easily been exploited to rack up your score.

[*]There was a feature in MP-Evolution to have a bunch of paratroopers drop into the current city, but which was seemingly never used. I have activated this now in SP, so that it might happen now that, after taking over a city, that these paratroopers will drop in on you.

Great fun this, thx for all your hard work Kronzky:

A couple of things I find confusing, sorry if I missed an update:

1. What are the passwords for? Now that the game resumes from save properly, surely you simply continue where you were with the rank/city states the same as when you last saved?

2. In the SP version do we need to leave an AI on the edge of the grey zone to prevent total city respawn? I think I read somewhere that this isnt necesary in SP version but wanted to check.

3. Was going to ask about how to remote-recruit AI's but you just answered that thumbs-up.gif

Thanks again,

Mandrake

Quote[/b] ]1. What are the passwords for? Now that the game resumes from save properly, surely you simply continue where you were with the rank/city states the same as when you last saved?

Even with a working game save it's good to have the codes.

For one, it may still happen in unfortunate circumstances that ArmA creates a bad, unrestorable savegame. It happened to me once, but, while not being reproducable, it still made my gamesave useless.

And two, it allows you to fast-forward to any stage of the mission, independent of your game saves. Which might be useful if, at a later point, you only want to play a particular city, or if you saved the game at a bad point (where, right after the save, you get killed, no matter what you do).

Quote[/b] ]2. In the SP version do we need to leave an AI on the edge of the grey zone to prevent total city respawn? I think I read somewhere that this isnt necesary in SP version but wanted to check.

No. No reason to leave an AI as a "placeholder". Enemy AIs in a city are only removed once you attack the next city. Until then they will stay in their original positions (or continue on their original paths).

Quote[/b] ]3. Was going to ask about how to remote-recruit AI's but you just answered that
For those who aren't familiar with that (very useful) function: Leave behind one of your teammates, and then you can, via its action menu recruit another unit from anywhere ([select unit] - radio 6 - recruit ...).

v0.13

I've had some problems with two of the side missions.

The Search & Rescue mission, to rescue the pilot. There is an error displayed shortly after accepting this mission. I was able to reproduce it every time so I didn't write it down. If you can't find it, I will write it down.

Same mission, I searched the entire green square with my squad, killed all the enemy, found the pilot, but he never joined my team. A message popped up telling me I had 5mins to complete the mission and after that time, all dead enemies, the living pilot, and the blackhawk wreck vanished. Later but same game, I selected this mission again, same errors appeared. However when I arrived at the location, there were no enemy units and no pilot. No wreckage either.

Same mission, the 0~0~1 radio briefing gives a description for rescuing a reporter from a house.

--------------------------------------------------

The Combat Air Patrol mission, I completed it successfully but it was mainly due to luck. I was about to give up. I shot down all the aircraft without problem, but the ejected pilots needed to be killed in order for the mission to be successful. Not sure if you wanted it this way, but they could be potentially almost impossible to find.

Same mission, the 0~0~1 radio briefing gives a description for a water assault mission. Requiring me to destroy all boats.

---------------------------------------------------

Other then that, everything has been running very nicely. Great stuff.

P.S. I still don't know what that phone is for......

Quote[/b] ]

The Search & Rescue mission, to rescue the pilot. There is an error displayed shortly after accepting this mission. I was able to reproduce it every time so I didn't write it down. If you can't find it, I will write it down.

Same mission, I searched the entire green square with my squad, killed all the enemy, found the pilot, but he never joined my team. A message popped up telling me I had 5mins to complete the mission and after that time, all dead enemies, the living pilot, and the blackhawk wreck vanished. Later but same game, I selected this mission again, same errors appeared. However when I arrived at the location, there were no enemy units and no pilot. No wreckage either.

The error message was just for the return marker, and shouldn't really affect the mission.

Did you get the message that all enemies are eliminated? (There are about 8 foot patrols and one UAZ.)

Once you get that you have to be within a certain range of the reporter for him to join you. After that you have to return to the base (landing pad near POW camp).

As far as the pilots in the Air Patrol mission are concerned - that does seem tough to have to eliminate them, even when their plane is already down, but that's how the original side mission was set up by KilJoy. My priority was always to keep the mission as close to the original MP version as possible, but in this case it was probably more of an oversight to test for the pilots instead of the planes, so I changed that requirement.

I'm not much of a pilot, so I was only able to test it in while being set to "captive", but if you want, you give the modified version a try.

Loving the mission, easily the most fun I have had playing arma.

Is there any chance of you doing a version that lets you have the full points back when you use the password to get promoted - at least while it is still in the beta phase as I am finding it a bit annoying having to start with 0 points every time I install the latest update (for those of us who don't want to use it to cheat)?

Have you thought about allowing your men to gain individual experience as an incentive to keeping them alive, rather than a points penalty when they die? Or would this be too hard to implement?

thanks for all the hard work.

Quote[/b] ]As far as the pilots in the Air Patrol mission are concerned - that does seem tough to have to eliminate them, even when their plane is already down

Thinking of changing this recently for MP it always worked ok in other patrol missions but theres an obvious problem when pilots eject.

I've tried tried the search & rescue mission five times now. I destroy the UAZ and about 6 men. Each time, I stand in front of the pilot with no enemy units anywhere to be found, but he still won't join.

Either some of the enemy are fleeing before my arrival, or they are spawning in the wrong location.

I think the captive should become part of the group when the player is near. I'm pretty sure he wants to be rescued. He doesn't look very happy. help.gif

I still have problem with spawning AI with a town which I'm starting to attack.

Yesterday I was flying to Bagango, unfortunatelly during my fly SU attack me and I almost crashed, I've made v. lucky emergency landing in front of the grey zone, when I reached g.zone on foot I've recived message that Bagango is cleared sad_o.gif

Earlier... before my movements to Bagango when I was attacking previos city with A10 and I killed one Shilka in Bagango.

Maybe this is a reason why AI don't spawn there.

Also I've noticed that pilot's of kamov are very brave smile_o.gif and just hanging above the city without any movements.

I hope You understand me Kronzky wink_o.gif

I noticed too, that the KA-50s hover in one place for extended periods of time.

In 0.13 I don't seem to have the "city cleared" problem, but I'm not really into choppers and planes, so I haven't tried flying over a city. Entering on foot seems to be ok, but I'll do some more playing.

Good work, Kronzky!

Edit: can you please add some notification that a friendly AI died? On several occasions I saved over a savegame because I didn't realize that one of my men has been shot. The rest don't say anything (no 'Oh no, 4 is down' ), because the dead soldier is immediately removed.

Is there any chance of you doing a version that lets you have the full points back when you use the password to get promoted - at least while it is still in the beta phase as I am finding it a bit annoying having to start with 0 points every time I install the latest update (for those of us who don't want to use it to cheat)?

Now that you don't get any points anymore when entering the rank code I've reactivated the 20,000 points bonus you get when entering a city code. I hope that will be the optimal setup to avoid points cheating and being able to reproduce a previous game status.

Have you thought about allowing your men to gain individual experience as an incentive to keeping them alive, rather than a points penalty when they die? Or would this be too hard to implement?

I think I need to keep the points penalty, as otherwise you could just go through hundreds of AI units without any repercussions, but I'm now making the skill of your team members dependent on your rank and the number of cities they've cleared. (So you should definitely try to hold on to your long-term buddies...)

I've tried tried the search & rescue mission five times now. I destroy the UAZ and about 6 men. Each time, I stand in front of the pilot with no enemy units anywhere to be found, but he still won't join.

All I can tell you is that you probably have to search a bit harder for those last guys. They might be hiding in the bushes somewhere, or are just running in circles, but I'm sure they're around. Even if they would've spawned at a wrong location or ran off, the side mission would notice that (since there's a presence trigger over the green area that will fire if there's no enemy units left). As I said, there should be eight foot patrols, so if you only killed 6, there are obviously still some hiding...

I still have problem with spawning AI with a town which I'm starting to attack.

Yesterday I was flying to Bagango, unfortunatelly during my fly SU attack me and I almost crashed, I've made v. lucky emergency landing in front of the grey zone, when I reached g.zone on foot I've recived message that Bagango is cleared

I'm PMing you to see what's going on in your particular case. No matter what I try, I cannot reproduce that behaviour...

Also I've noticed that pilot's of kamov are very brave, and just hanging above the city without any movements.

Yeah... I noticed that too. I've tried to limit that stationary time somewhat, but since this situation is hard to reproduce, I'm not 100% sure how successful I was...

Can you please add some notification that a friendly AI died? On several occasions I saved over a savegame because I didn't realize that one of my men has been shot. The rest don't say anything (no 'Oh no, 4 is down' ), because the dead soldier is immediately removed.

I've now added a two-minute delay before dead units are removed from your group, so that'll hopefully address this problem.

I may have missed an update, but I am still struggling to get this mission started

at the beginning, I accept a side mission (which is usually far away) and I order a shuttle to bring me there. the helicopter picks me up at the airport but then it immediately returns to its point of departure in the immediate vicinity, instead of bringing me to my destination. I cannot order the pilot the the waypoint myself

since I hear all the positive feedback, I am very eager to play this