Sign in to follow this  
Rune

SOW Introduction to FSMs in ArmA

I have written a .pdf document to serve as an introduction to finite state machines in Armed Assault. It covers just about everything we know at the Sinews of War mod, the only things not included are some very recent testing from ArmA versions 1.06/1.07 that I have yet to absorb and play around with before I can write about them, but that information will be included in the future. The document also has a couple of FSM example missions with thorough walkthroughs that should be quite informative to beginners and experts alike.

These are the main goals of the document:

1) To provide the easiest possible way into the world of FSMs for someone new to FSMs.

2) To quide people to make more dynamic and varied missions.

3) To provide a look up, fact sheet or memory refresher-style ressource for more advanced users.

Right now the FSM material included, that is relevant to addons makers, is limited. This is because of a general lack of available information and the fact that my testing has started 'at the opposite end' of the FSM spectrum. That is I have been trying to learn the information that is more relevant mission makers first. Everything needs to be tested before anything much can be written and it is a lot of work. But the intention is to cover all ArmA FSM material eventually. But to do this I need your help to fill in the blanks, please help me improve the document, even if just by asking questions that makes inspire someone to perform a test that could uncover something interesting.

The document can be downloaded at Sinews of War under Downloads -> Tutorials. I hope you find it useful...

And you can email me at rune@sinewsofwar.com or PM me in this forum if you have any comments smile_o.gif

You guys at SOW are my Heroes!

Already felt this one coming due to my talks with CrashDome...

Hugely interesting, I guess I can kick off my AI-Manager v0.3 with a lot of information read from these Docs!

I would like to note that Rune has also informed me that the KPCTI by granq had an FSM within the mission. I had a look and I think it is a prime example of what the purpose of an FSM in ArmA was expected to be (by the developers). This particular FSM is something run on the Engineers to perform the mine clearing. Whether or not it is used or who was the exact author (I am assuming granq), I am not sure. It is a good example though.

I had a look and I think it is a prime example of what the purpose of an FSM in ArmA was expected to be (by the developers). This particular FSM is something run on the Engineers to perform the mine clearing. Whether or not it is used or who was the exact author (I am assuming granq), I am not sure. It is a good example though.

I think kungtotte wrote that FSM, I remember giving him some FSM advice on it when he was doing it.

The FSM in KPCTI is released under the free beer license, use it, learn from it, change it, distribute it, whatever you feel like.

I wish I had more time and energy to make it less simplistic, as it only works right for one engineer at a time right now (and uses deleteVehicle as opposed to the engineer actually deactivating the mines, due to ArmA weirdness), and he'll happily go on disarming mines even if WW3 would break out right behind him, but at least it works.