Sign in to follow this  
mattxr

1.08 Troubleshooting thread.

TBH, people can blame Vista all they want. At the end of the day it IS a new OS but similarly, I dont have any issues with other games. So I call shenanigans. Vista has to be supported as it is the flagship OS now and within a year or so pretty much every gamer will be using it. BIS have time to fix the problems, so no big deal at the end of the day. In the meantime, back to XP if you want to play ArmA.

E

I get CTDs with the CreateIndexBuffer error mentioned earlier between 30 seconds and 5 minutes in, even if sitting in the main menu. This error was introduced (for me atleast) in the first v1.07 patch and continued with v1.07b and now v1.08.

System

3ghz P4

1gb DDR

x800pro

acer m/board

Sprocket ArmA v1.05

I have a clean install of ArmA and v1.08 patch. No mod folders and untouched addons folder. Latest patches for all hardware. These errors also don't create an arma.rpt file. I could just live with running v1.05 SP but I want the 500 odd fixes, changes, improvements in the v1.08 patch!.. and MP.

I will be getting a whole new system in about a month so I guess I'll have to play it unpatched until then and just pray the new system doesn't suffer from the plethora of errors I'm seeing in this thread. icon_rolleyes.gif

Quote[/b] ]I know though that atm the Vista-support is really bad, esp in case of 8800 if im not mistaken. Goodluck!

I have 5 more games running sweet at vista (Oblivion, LOTRO, COH DX10, GRAW2 demo, Colin dirt demo, Tomb Raider Ani.)

Only arma is giving me problems confused_o.gif

System:

E6600@3700

8800 GTX (tryed several drivers)

4Gb Ram

Raid 0

OP: Vista Ultimate 64Bits

The funny thing is 1.07 worked fine for me. sad_o.gif

Im not blaming BIS for anything, but blame Vista its not correct too since I havent got any problems with other games.

I am not blaming Vista, I AM blaming BIS dude smile_o.gif They don't officially support Vista, but I think it's time they should put effort in this.

Quote[/b] ]I know though that atm the Vista-support is really bad, esp in case of 8800 if im not mistaken. Goodluck!
Is meant as "ArmA's Vista Support is really bad" of course smile_o.gif

I have 5 more games running sweet at vista (Oblivion, LOTRO, COH DX10, GRAW2 demo, Colin dirt demo, Tomb Raider Ani.)

Only arma is giving me problems confused_o.gif

System:

E6600@3700

8800 GTX (tryed several drivers)

4Gb Ram

Raid 0

OP: Vista Ultimate 64Bits

The funny thing is 1.07 worked fine for me. sad_o.gif

Im not blaming BIS for anything, but blame Vista its not correct too since I havent got any problems with other games.

I am not blaming Vista, I AM blaming BIS dude smile_o.gif They don't officially support Vista, but I think it's time they should put effort in this.

Is meant as "ArmA's Vista Support is really bad" of course smile_o.gif

Oh biggrin_o.gif , sorry my bad.

Oh wating till next patch for Vista support then. sad_o.gif

Hi

Has anyone got Armed assault working in Vista yet, i have installed the new patch ok with no hitch.

The game starts up ok with no problem then after playing for 10mins, looking at building trees etc. the textures look flat and lifeless??

I just wanted to know if anyone else is playing this game ok with similar system under vista as i dont know if its the game developer fault, vista not compatible or bad nvidia drivers?

Done maxmem, updated drivers etc etc.

Dissapointed user...

There's something that this patch broke a bit.

Now the game is extremely unstable if I use maxmem more than 512..

If I use 1024 the game will crash within seconds of playing (10 seconds of the main GUI background 'movie' was enough) and the game will freeze the whole PC, quite badly.

It actually crashes so bad that for example the signal from the gcard to the monitor disappears..

Maxmem at 768 and the game runs a bit longer but the same thing happens eventually (within 1-2 minutes), happens both in full-screen and windowed mode..

Preceeding the crash FPS starts to slow down until the game is a complete slide show (like 2 FPS) before it freezes completely..

The 1.07.5157 beta was stable at maxmem 1024, only time it froze the PC was when alt-tab was used too extensively (apparently the memorysurface 0800eblah blah error was replaced with the freeze)..

I don't want to make any more tests because once the game crashes the HD is quite active and I don't want to damage it, as the only way to recover from that crash is to reset..

Then again, this isn't really that big of an issue because I never noticed any performance gain in using higher maxmem..

Just to mention, no voltage drops or heat issues, both CPU cores and the GPU ran below 50 celcius (no temperature spikes either)..

XP Pro (32)

2Gb Ram

AMD 64 4200+ X2 AM2

Ass M2N-Sli Deluxe nForce-570

GF 7900 256

No oc, everything with latest drivers

Other than this crash issue everything else seems just fine for me smile_o.gif

sad_o.gif i cant play the game no more, these crashes are making me insane. Ah nice coop, ok guys lets go, 25% of the trip in and CTD!!!

Before i even get into any action wink_o.gif

Do the Arma programmers actually test the patches before they are released? 229 replies to problems must mean something - I'm rather annoyed at the lack of care that goes into throwing patches out left right and center, something is quite clearly wrong. banghead.gif

Maybe all the beta testers dont get this problem.

I've had a CTD after about 30 minutes of testing.

I got there a very cpu intensive mission with lots of

tanks and infantry and explosions - no crash.

Then i thought i'd give the A10 a try - only me in my A10

flying.

When flying very low i started noticing the graphical artifacts

being seen alot when using bad drivers or when the gpu

is overheating - i mean the vector style graphics.

Also lots of street textures were replaced by sand textures

all around the place.

Then i crashed the plane into a building - game starts freezing

and suddenly CTD + the 800700xx message - cannot create

surface memory (soz don't know exactly but the message

seems to be well known and has been posted already in here).

In combination with DXT5 or so.

Gonna have to check if it was some settings i've changed

or if it's my 1024 maxmem (but 1024 worked before fine).

And for the statistics:

I have a 7950 GT KO 512mb and it's the first time i'm getting

problems like this now.

Previous versions did run smooth and without any problems.

~S~ CD

Another Blue Screen for me - 4th one today. I'm sick of this... with over 200+ people contributing to this thread in 12hrs; thats not even all the ppl that know about the forums... its a disgrace. I'm most annoyed at this... how hard is it to test a game before you release a patch?

Another Blue Screen for me - 4th one today.  I'm sick of this... with over 200+ people contributing to this thread in 12hrs; thats not even all the ppl that know about the forums... its a disgrace.  I'm most annoyed at this... how hard is it to test a game before you release a patch?

Blue screens are the best indicators for having some faulty

hardware - not software.

Experts even said that blue screens cannot be caused by

faulty software but only by hardware.

~S~ CD

Another Blue Screen for me - 4th one today. I'm sick of this... with over 200+ people contributing to this thread in 12hrs; thats not even all the ppl that know about the forums... its a disgrace. I'm most annoyed at this... how hard is it to test a game before you release a patch?

Blue screens are the best indicators for having some faulty

hardware - not software.

Experts even said that blue screens cannot be caused by

faulty software but only by hardware.

~S~ CD

Game was working fine with 1.05 havent changed a thing.... installed the patch and bingo... BSOD.

Well I thought I'd got the game stable by running it at 800x600 (anything more than that and it was a guarenteed CTD within minutes).

But it seems that 800x600 isnt that great either. CTD after about 15 minutes.

AMD Athlon 64 3200+

ATI x800 Pro

2Gb RAM

Running the Sprocket d/l version

I was hoping that I'd be really into the game with the 1.08 patch, but it seems it goes on the shelf until the next patch. Shamre really, I like the fixes that are in place, just that it's really broke too.

Another Blue Screen for me - 4th one today.  I'm sick of this... with over 200+ people contributing to this thread in 12hrs; thats not even all the ppl that know about the forums... its a disgrace.  I'm most annoyed at this... how hard is it to test a game before you release a patch?

Well in the "General" thread there are several people that have great improvements with 1.08 so its not all bad biggrin_o.gif .

Im one of the lucky ones i guess as 1.08 works like a charm for me (in XP, not in Vista were its still unplayable).

Well I thought I'd got the game stable by running it at 800x600 (anything more than that and it was a guarenteed CTD within minutes).

But it seems that 800x600 isnt that great either. CTD after about 15 minutes.

I was hoping that I'd be really into the game with the 1.08 patch, but it seems it goes on the shelf until the next patch. Shamre really, I like the fixes that are in place, just that it's really broke too.

if ur not a vista user try running the game with -maxmem=512

or 768, might help you.

Just give it a few days and there will be a hotfix. I bet Suma is stressing just as much as we are trying to find what is causing the crashes. Remeber he is the guy who has too look though millions of code and find the problem, could you do that?

Patience is a Virtue tounge2.gif

Just give it a few days and there will be a hotfix. I bet Suma is stressing just as much as we are trying to find what is causing the crashes. Remeber he is the guy who has too look though millions of code and find the problem, could you do that?

Patience is a Virtue tounge2.gif

Funny that of all FPS game players, it should be us Arma-ians who know how to be patient. If you see the flash, it is already too late, after all. pistols.gif

Patience is a Virtue  tounge2.gif

suma should be like banghead.gif right now

basicly we are looking at one game that Murphy's Law simply applied too well on

I fixed my problem ( PC freezing trying to install 1.04 to 1.05 ).

I suspected CPU usage and added /NumProc=1 to boot.ini

The update completed without any problem. Now I have copied the 1.05 addons, the campaign pbo and arma.exe to another hard drive just in case 1.08 fails.

Oh, and due to the previous 7 attempts I have a massively fragmented games partition so will try 1.08 after the defrag.

It might be a worthwhile test for dual-core owners to limit the pc to one core and see if the problems remain ?

yay.gif

It looks like I'm the only one with heating problems, but as I don't have that much time to test what's causing it at the moment, I "hope" to see some more people posting/checking if their MOBILE GPU is getting way hotter then before.

If that is not the case I'm glad because then it's not ArmA, but yet again I'm worried about what it is then, as I allready said I'm 99% sure it did not happen with previous ArmA versions as yesterday was the first time I got a critical note saying my temp went up suddenly

I suspected CPU usage and added /NumProc=1 to boot.ini

The update completed without any problem. Now I have copied the 1.05 addons, the campaign pbo and arma.exe to another hard drive just in case 1.08 fails.

I hardly think this has anything to do with the Dual or non Dual core setup mate when it comes to installations crashing and hanging and rebooting... I really say it must be your heat, as when you leave 1 core totally unused (as you do with /NumProc=1), it suddenly works.

Only 1 core working instead of 2 is a lot less heat... And let's say that those f**king p4's love to create heat!

Try searching for SP2004 on google, which is Stress Prime 2004, there is also a dualcore version out: SP2004 Orthos Edition, run that baby, check ur temps and see if you get errors (usually errors popup in under 30 minutes but the real subtle buggers can take up to 20 hours !!wink_o.gif, I would bet a crate of beer that with both cpu's enabled you will find at least 1 cpu erroring out and heat getting prolly the worst of ur cpu smile_o.gif

@ sickboy

I really wouldn't mind 20 hours between crashes smile_o.gif

I have been watching temps using the Rightmark CPU clock utility but am not sure if it just takes an average of the 2 cores.

Having said that, when 2 cores were in use, one was at 99-100% and the other at 5-10% utilisation !?!

I have noticed with CPU-Z that the cores are not running at exactly identical speeds so maybe one is flaky (its an E6300 ) but there's no denying that disabling one stopped the freezing ( am writing an entry for Ripleys Believe it or Not

smile_o.gif )

Once all logical steps fail, try the illogical .. captain wink_o.gif