Sign in to follow this  
Col.Flanders

Repair/Service buildings

'lo...did a search on this but the search function doesn't like me much.

So, we have these buildings, much like in OFP, with the repair icon painted on them (the same icon you get on the repair trucks).

These buildings, along with civilian fuel stations, appear to make up a static system of repair/refuel in the game (again, much like OFP had). Only thing is, the repair buildings seem to do diddly-squat. Am I missing something? Can't seem to get them to work.

As far as I know, no. They should accept any vehicle from either side/army. I would imagine you should be able to land a helo next to it and repair that too but I can't get anything to work.

I noticed it a while back but recently I've been playing a multiplayer mission where the enemy attacks your base and having that building work would mean a whole different outcome.

didnt they used to work in ofp?

the fuel depots work so why not the repair?

How about to setpos an empty repairtruck directly below the

building, 1m? (You know, like the engineer/tent stuff from one

of the single player missions)

dirt workaround as long as it works.

Might do it for an FARP as well...

wink_o.gif

In the MAP_Misc Addon are invisible Objects you can place to gain that functionality.  wink_o.gif

Ok, i'm still downloading 1.08 so not sure if it has changed but if OFP was anything to go by (and in this case, it's exactly the same) - then these buildings should service your vehicles.

They have exactly the same icons as the repair trucks have:

repair_building2.jpg

They even have the marked areas with chevrons to indicate where to park:

repair_building1.jpg

Now, I don't see how that can simply be game aesthetics. Admittedly, I only checked this out because of having played OFP...had I not, I may have skipped over this.

It is posible to do since BAS did it with there tonal island they also made the hospital work so I am hopeing BIS will implant this into the game.

If you smack a trigger down with the right script or code then it all comes back. Of course it's a lot of work and the easiest way would be to have a "Service building" layer mission that you could merge with your real mission in the editor if you wanted to. (Anyone feel like making such a mission?)

On the most practical front, mission makers and addon makers have been using "game logics" as switches to features for years (apparently BAS has done just that for these buildings). Perhaps it is time for BIS to start adopting this policy. Placing a "Service buildings work" game logic on the map and having it work would greatly simplify the misson maker's life.

Because if BIS simply made all these buildings work 100% of the time without a chance to make them not work... then you'll get mission makers complaining! "It's very important that you be unable to repair your tank this mission! BIS with their repair structures have made it impossible to get my desired mission behavior!"

Do the fuel stations do anything? Also would they be at all useful, as tanks etc don't seem to have a fuel gauge so they don't look to need refueling... Choppers as far as I've bothered to check are basically the only vehicles that need refueling (besides jets too i guess) so can chopper refuel at these Schnell stations?

I'm not sure if the helicopters can refuel at fuel stations, but every car and armored vehicle needs gas in ArmA and can refuel at these gas stations.

I know HMMWVs in ArmA have a working fuel gauge if you know where to look.

The gas stations can run out of gas (as can fuel trucks) but there is no way to refill them.

There are many, many gas stations in Sahrani but not all of them are marked on the map!!

These buildings have no repair capabilities, they're not supposed to.

Next game... same ****

Had the same issue in OFP as well

It's reasonably easy to put a trigger next to such a building with the code like:

if tank && damage > 0

then setdamage = (get damage - 0.01)

sleep 1

Yes it kinda sucks that the game requires you to make it to play it, but it does.

Not everyone wants to be forced to have some sci-fi insta-repair depos all over their missions. And adding it is easy for those who want such, so why bitch about it, it's better the way it is.

Fair enough...I just thought they were supposed to work all the time. I never had a problem with getting them to work in OFP.

A 'building inoperative' or 'repair not available' message would've been nice though. Would have saved me bashing around the building from 360 different degrees trying to find the sweet spot.

Not everyone wants to be forced to have some sci-fi insta-repair depos all over their missions. And adding it is easy for those who want such, so why bitch about it, it's better the way it is.

Agreed!

As for chopper refuelling I guess they just have big fuel tanks!

I used to play around with the jet pack and the dragonfly add-ons (can't remember by who now) in OFP and had great fun hopping around the islands making sure there were sufficient gas stations around for refuelling!  biggrin_o.gif

Since they worked in OFP, I think they should be made to work in ArmA. Besides, if a mission maker really has a problem with them (they didn't cause any problems in OFP though) then he can destroy them. It's not any less realistic than the repair trucks anyway.

By the way, you can refuel choppers in ArmA by simply landing on the roof of the fuel station. I found that out once when my KA-50 had a fuel leak. Of course if an enemy spots you, he can easily kill you by firing an RPG or other powerful weapon at the fuel station so you need to be careful where you do it.

Since when they worked in OFP? You guys must've played a bit too much MFCTI biggrin_o.gif

Maybe the engineers are on a vacation and that's why the rep depos don't work. Or maybe they're not the kind of engineers that fix a thoroughly thrashed 60-ton main battle tank by snapping their fingers a few times.

Ah crikey...they did work in OFP otherwise I never would have brought it up. I only ever played vanilla OFP plus official addons so I'm not sure why everyone thinks I'm crazy by commenting on this. Maybe it was mission-specific but I don't ever remember them not working.

It's not like I'm complaining that there is no active ATC at the airfields or that when I go into one of the Inns there is no barman to serve me a virtual pint.

Having these buildings active would be no more "sci-fi" or unrealistic than the service trucks are. You don't see a crew jump out of the service truck and take 48 hours to repair a damaged tank. It is instant.

Now, I can understand how some may be worried that this could be used as an exploit - eg. a guy sits up against the building in his tank while smashing the opposition to oblivion no matter what comes his way. This could be easily overcome through one of many ways.

I was simply thinking of this in a "ok, we're damaged and on the run. If we can make to ...Cayo...we'll be able to get repairs." - type way. tounge2.gif

Anyway...it's not a biggie. I can live with it. My thread started as more of a question of how to get 'em to work as opposed to "WTF!!? Repair building not working - p.o.s game wth!!?"

Ah crikey...they did work in OFP otherwise I never would have brought it up. I only ever played vanilla OFP plus official addons so I'm not sure why everyone thinks I'm crazy by commenting on this. Maybe it was mission-specific but I don't ever remember them not working.

It's not like I'm complaining that there is no active ATC at the airfields or that when I go into one of the Inns there is no barman to serve me a virtual pint.

Having these buildings active would be no more "sci-fi" or unrealistic than the service trucks are. You don't see a crew jump out of the service truck and take 48 hours to repair a damaged tank. It is instant.

Now, I can understand how some may be worried that this could be used as an exploit - eg. a guy sits up against the building in his tank while smashing the opposition to oblivion no matter what comes his way. This could be easily overcome through one of many ways.

I was simply thinking of this in a "ok, we're damaged and on the run. If we can make to ...Cayo...we'll be able to get repairs." - type way. tounge2.gif

Anyway...it's not a biggie. I can live with it. My thread started as more of a question of how to get 'em to work as opposed to "WTF!!? Repair building not working - p.o.s game wth!!?"

You might want to look into KilJoy's Evolution map for the answer to that. When most vehicles come to a stop on the airfield grounds they receive a refuel, rearm, repair, fresh coat of wax, and pine tree air freshener.

BIS has provided the art (building) as well as the functionality (engine that executes code); the remaining part is for the community to put it together.

If someone is really cool they'd make a script that automatically found all these buildings on the map, placed the appropriate triggers slightly displaced that did the desired "repair up"

...fresh coat of wax, and pine tree air freshener.

biggrin_o.gif

Cool...I'm more a graphics guy than a scripter anyway so I'll just wait an' see what those talented mission makers come up with.

You might want to look into KilJoy's Evolution map for the answer to that. When most vehicles come to a stop on the airfield grounds they receive a refuel, rearm, repair, fresh coat of wax, and pine tree air freshener.

BIS has provided the art (building) as well as the functionality (engine that executes code); the remaining part is for the community to put it together.

If someone is really cool they'd make a script that automatically found all these buildings on the map, placed the appropriate triggers slightly displaced that did the desired "repair up"

But then the AI wont know how to use them. It would save so much effort if they were defined in the config to repair stuff, just like the repair trucks (and just like OFP).

Of course you can script the repair job, you don't need to look at Evolution to see that as anyone who knows a bit about scripting should be able to do that already, but that's not the point.

It's not a major issue, just a tweak that would be nice.

No, I'm sorry but it is not true, the repair depots in OFP never worked by default.

To check for certain I loaded up OFP 1.96, and went to a repair depot on Everon with a half damaged jeep.......no option to repair the vehicle at all.

Examining the config entry for the repair depot:

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">

class Houserepair_center:House

{

scope=1;

model="repair_center";

};

So, there you have it, no functionality to repair vehicles at all.

People who swear it was able to repair vehicles by default must have been using a community fix either in a mission or addon form......or......MFCTI

tounge2.gif

Planck

No, I'm sorry but it is not true, the repair depots in OFP never worked by default.

To check for certain I loaded up OFP 1.96, and went to a repair depot on Everon with a half damaged jeep.......no option to repair the vehicle at all.

Examining the config entry for the repair depot:

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">

class Houserepair_center:House

{

scope=1;

model="repair_center";

};

So, there you have it, no functionality to repair vehicles at all.

People who swear it was able to repair vehicles by default must have been using a community fix either in a mission or addon form......or......MFCTI

tounge2.gif

Planck

crazy_o.gif

Well it has been a long time since I played OFP tounge2.gif