Sign in to follow this  
DeadlyAvenger

ArmA:Armed Assault vs ArmA:Combat Operations

Hi

I just bought ArmA:Armed Assault on PC DVD, but after visiting the website I see there is a new version; ArmA:Combat Operations.

I can't seem to find a definitive list of what's new / improved between the two.

It is worth buying if I have ArmA:Armed Assault?

Are there any new weapons? Has it been enhanced in anyway?

If it's just different missions and US Miltary outfits I won't bother, but if it has better features I might.

Anyone know?

Regards

Matt

No difference. Atari published the game in the US under the 'ArmA: Combat Operations' name. Atari just wanted to be special by giving the same game a different name and trying to confuse people tounge2.gif

Hehe, I don't really know why though confused_o.gif

When the 1.08 patch comes out on Monday, all ArmA versions will be the same. I think Combat Operations has one or two extra missions for the A10, that's all.

and mabye new sounds? when you look at this official atari trailer, the sounds are really different to armed assault. i am very confused. and i can not see any relevant fix in the next patch. for me it looks very simpel: comabt operatoins has GOOD SOUNDS from VBS1/2 and arma has...

here is the Atari Trailer

Phew! I nearly bought it on download, glad I didn't now!

What about this statement?

"An all new gallery featuring every weapon and vehicle with various specifications, and even the option to try out weapons on a shooting range"

I can't find that in ArmA:Armed Assault. The shooting range is there, but you can't choose which weapons to test out!

I really wanted a go with the M107, but I can't find anywhere in which to assign it to your kit.

Help with that would be good!

biggrin_o.gif

As Dan mentioned, it wouldn't have mattered if you had chosen the normal ArmA, as soon they will all be exactly the same, including shooting range.

Guest Ti0n3r
and mabye new sounds? when you look at this official atari trailer, the sounds are really different to armed assault. i am very confused. and i can not see any relevant fix in the next patch. for me it looks very simpel: comabt operatoins has GOOD SOUNDS from VBS1/2 and arma has...

here is the Atari Trailer

Those are not in the US version Demo, so I guess it's a joke banghead.gif Which is a shame...

Or, is it possible that the NEW trailer was shot with the 1.08 version (including sound changes?), since I believe Dysclexi made the footage? With BIS anything's possible.

Phew! I nearly bought it on download, glad I didn't now!

What about this statement?

"An all new gallery featuring every weapon and vehicle with various specifications, and even the option to try out weapons on a shooting range"

I can't find that in ArmA:Armed Assault. The shooting range is there, but you can't choose which weapons to test out!

I really wanted a go with the M107, but I can't find anywhere in which to assign it to your kit.

Help with that would be good!

biggrin_o.gif

comes with the beta patch 1.07 so it will be in the 1.08 patch to.

And you have one already in 1.05 but you have to work a little bit harder its called the editor :P

i mean no offense, but why do so many of you people ask whether the US version is different from the european releases?

the very thought that there might be two different versions of the same game out there doesn't make sense at all in the first place.

i've noticed that the same thing is currently going on with Resident Evil 4 (PC); people seem to expect that the US version - having come out after the european (and asian) versions - is an entirely different game.

different publisher, different release date, and as a consequence different patch version. that's all there will ever be in terms of differences between regional verions.

@ Smellyjelly: Official or not, Dysclexi has posted vids using soon to be released patches (1.07 for instance). Just positing that there's a chance for sound updates. smile_o.gif

@ Fred DM: If someone new to a title hears about 'new content' in a different time and place release, is that not a viable question to confirm?

Quote[/b] ]i mean no offense, but why do so many of you people ask whether the US version is different from the european releases?

Yeah, it's strange since it makes perfect sense to have two different names for the same game. Because it does.

Quote[/b] ]the very thought that there might be two different versions of the same game out there doesn't make sense at all in the first place.

Believe it or not, there are many games that have different versions for different countries, most commonly in language and gore.

but keep in mind, BIS announced a big "thing" in recent times. i thought it must be the missing modding tools. but maybe they change the sounds also.

Atari re-named ARMA: Armed Assault to ARMA: Combat Operations because Armed Assault is a name of a major crime in the united states and might evoke unwanted attention from anti violence groups such as M.A.V. (Mothers against Violence) we don't want the game to be seen as a gore vest just because of its name. So Atari renamed it to avoid such controversy.

look at the movies, most of the films have different names in each country, mostly cause of the language, but why should it be different with a game?

Atari re-named ARMA: Armed Assault to ARMA: Combat Operations because Armed Assault is a name of a major crime in the united states and might evoke unwanted attention from anti violence groups such as M.A.V. (Mothers against Violence) we don't want the game to be seen as a gore vest just because of its name. So Atari renamed it to avoid such controversy.

It's a little strange though, since "ArmA" stands for Armed Assault. Should the US version be called CombO? crazy_o.gif

i mean no offense, but why do so many of you people ask whether the US version is different from the european releases?

the very thought that there might be two different versions of the same game out there doesn't make sense at all in the first place.

different publisher, different release date, and as a consequence different patch version. that's all there will ever be in terms of differences between regional verions.

as Metal Heart said, there have been released games before, that had different contents in it. not only by different publisher.... one of the addons for the rb6 series, had a completely different map in the us release than in the rest of the world..... witch was kind of a pain in the you know what, since the original map was actualy a rather nice one....

@ Smellyjelly: Official or not, Dysclexi has posted vids using soon to be released patches (1.07 for instance).  Just positing that there's a chance for sound updates. smile_o.gif

Was he the one that posted the video with a plane flying using the insane view distance a few months back? Hmm, was that supposed to be for 1.06?

but keep in mind, BIS announced a big "thing" in recent times. i thought it must be the missing modding tools.  but maybe they change the sounds also.

Sounds interesting, I haven't heard of that. Do you have a link where I can read up on it?

@ Smellyjelly: Official or not, Dysclexi has posted vids using soon to be released patches (1.07 for instance). Just positing that there's a chance for sound updates. smile_o.gif

Was he the one that posted the video with a plane flying using the insane view distance a few months back? Hmm, was that supposed to be for 1.06?

but keep in mind, BIS announced a big "thing" in recent times. i thought it must be the missing modding tools. but maybe they change the sounds also.

Sounds interesting, I haven't heard of that. Do you have a link where I can read up on it?

"The insane view distance" was since the 1.05+ beta, it reduced the fog over distance so that turning your viewdistance up now has the effect it should. Of course you still need a PC that can handle it. Viewdistance setting is in your video options, it's not going to magically turn itself up.

If you looked in the video topic, Dyslexi made the footage for the trailer and Atari added the sounds and music. It's just a bit of false advertising, nothing more.