Sign in to follow this  
-Puma-

7900gs 512 or 1950 pro

as the title says im upgrading(and downgrading at the same time: selling old GFX and 1 gig of mem to finance my upgrade)

so wich 1 mainly for arma:

7900gs 512

or

1950 pro 256

help.gifhelp.gifhelp.gif

I have a 7900GS Gainward 256MB Ram and the game looks great, everything runs with a high or very high with a smooth FPS of 30, and a resolution of 1024x768 smile_o.gif

Not tested a 1950 myself, but I imagine there similar performance?

I read some reviews and 7900gs is a monster overclocker and 512 ram, but 1950 beats 7900gs/even gt on most benchies with stock clocks..

I have an X1950 PRO, im running at 1280*1024 most settings on high.. The main advantage with the X1950 PRO is the amount of shaders, so less foilage lag.. BUT personally i would say get the 7900, BUT if you can spare a bit more cash the 7950GT card is the best card for ArmA at the moment, due to the 8800s not performing well in a lot of rigs.

I personally, would advise you to stick with Nvidia, although the handle leak for ATI has been fixed now.

Hope it helps smile_o.gif

EDIT: Oh also, i needed a new PSU for the X1950 as its a hungry bitch :P Check your PSU before u buy it (if u choose the X1950) and make sure that it has 30 AMPS on the +12V rail, or if its a dual rail system it needs +12V1 @ 22AMPS and +12V2 at 22AMPS. All that info is on a sticker on the side of your PSU. Just thought i'd let you know!

I have an X1950 PRO, im running at 1280*1024 most settings on high.. The main advantage with the X1950 PRO is the amount of shaders, so less foilage lag.. BUT personally i would say get the 7900, BUT if you can spare a bit more cash the 7950GT card is the best card for ArmA at the moment, due to the 8800s not performing well in a lot of rigs.

I personally, would advise you to stick with Nvidia, although the handle leak for ATI has been fixed now.

Hope it helps smile_o.gif

EDIT: Oh also, i needed a new PSU for the X1950 as its a hungry bitch :P Check your PSU before u buy it (if u choose the X1950) and make sure that it has 30 AMPS on the +12V rail, or if its a dual rail system it needs +12V1 @ 22AMPS and +12V2 at 22AMPS. All that info is on a sticker on the side of your PSU. Just thought i'd let you know!

thnx for the info, i was worried about the PSU allso, but my system

isn't streched that much (400w with 2 HDs,), Im starting to lean to the 7900gs, for its memory + Good OC capabilities...

btw 7900gs, and 1900 pro are my only two options(8600gt is my third but scrapped it at start)

Always had ATI-bought a ocuk 7900gs 256mb a few months ago and am well impressed with it!

There is a 512mb version of the X1950 PRO FYI, dont know if you were aware wink_o.gif

There is a 512mb version of the X1950 PRO FYI, dont know if you were aware wink_o.gif

yes im aware but as I said my ONLY options are 7900gs or 1950 PRO...

ck-claw: what kinda settings u run and what's ur FPS?huh.gif

i have a 7900GS with 512 of ram. but ive dropped my setting down for fraps as it was showing me with 25fps and even dropping to 14fps and that was on medium settings.

but fraps probably lied to me

well I'm very happy with my x1950 pro.

I run arma with these settings: screenshot of settings

I didn't play much with the settings, don't know if it can handle more or not. My framerate is between 35-45 although it can sometimes drop to 28-30.

well now im tempted with the 1950 pro,thunder have u tried with overclocking of the card?huh.gif

dunno much about the difference of 256 and 512 mb, on arma any

experiences?huh.gif

Puma, the difference between the two cards will be insignificant. The best choice for you is based on what Mobo chipset you have and what details you like in game. For example, I hate how post processing and shading look in the game so I will set it to low no matter what rig I have. Secondly, I went with a Nvidia 7900gs because the chipset on my Mobo is nvidia 650i which seems to get better perfomance using Nvidia cards.

Do your homework, look for what it is you like settings wise and then decide. But I have tested and have others tested this game with various cards on the same rig and found GPU has little outcome on FPS but does effect how you want the settings without losing FPS.

BTW, I avg 50-70fps on 1600 resolution with a 7900gs OC (evga) but its not the card that does the hard work.

Ocuk have a good deal on Radeon X1950xt 512mb this week only..better card than anything mentioned so far.(Just ordered to replace x1800xt smile_o.gif )

Not tested a 1950 myself, but I imagine there similar performance?

yes, i play Arma w a sapphire 1950XT 512 and the game works so fine thumbs-up.gif

well bunks i've read that ATI cards have a better looks in-game, and nvidia performance-wise

so it's tough call: get 7900gs and OC the hell out of it or get 1950 pro and get nice GFX (due to more shaders??)

Well i Think you Got a AGp card Right?? and looking for a beter agp card right?

Well Conserding Nvidia Cant handle HDR & AA at the Same time i would go with ATi.

Well i Think you Got a AGp card Right?? and looking for a beter agp card right?

Well Conserding Nvidia Cant handle HDR & AA at the Same time i would go with ATi.

actually I got pci-e, but ut right about that 1. I think if the store still holds that ATI, i'll go for that 1, if not then its the geforce...