Sign in to follow this  
newbieboka

ArmA Graphics Problem

Same glitches here but I'm refusing to downgrade drivers or anything else on my rig. Waiting for next patch or fix confused_o.gif

Also now getting the problem. Game plays for 5 mins or so then atrefacts before CTD.

Spec is:

AMD X2 4200+

2GB RAM

Geforce 7900GT 256MB

Oddly, I was getting a falling frame rate, then I cleaned all my fans thinking it could be an overheating problem, now the FPS is maintained but the game crashes.

This only happens in ArmA. Nvidia's stress test works fine.

Strange.

KT

Aye. After 1.08 and setting textures to default, I got that spiky graphical glitch as well. Then Arma crashed.

No overcloking, no overheating. Same as i left it with 1.05+.

Thankgod i'm not alone with this issue. The exact same thing happened to me. I've just left my textures on high and i've not had the problem again.

Whats that default setting supposed to do anyway, apart from totaly f**k up your game that is.

I have an 8800GTS 640MB and I'm getting this texture bug which TOTALS my FPS majorly. It's not just the 7000 series.

Hey guys smile_o.gif what is this 'maxmem' i keep hearing about, could it help? could you tell me what to do lol ive never heard of it, i guess it means maximum memory but what memory and what do you do? thanks wink_o.gif

It limits the amount of memory used by ArmA. Gives a performance increase to most people who use it correctly.

To use you edit your ArmA shortcut so you have

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">....Bohemia Interactive\ArmA\arma.exe" -maxmem=512

I believe that using half of your RAM works best.

I had similar graphics degradation. I tried many different settings and drivers. Two things finally fixed it for me; I disabled (unchecked) write combining in the advanced display properties > troubleshooting. Then, in the nVidia control panel I set up program specific settings for ArmA and changed the 'Force mipmaps' to 'None'. That completely cured it. Don't know why it worked because I had both set that way before, but just not at the same time. No other settings or combinations of settings made any difference...for me.

AMD 64 Athlon 4000+

Biostar 6100 micro ATX

Corsair 2GB

BFG 7800GTX

Audigy 4

WinXP

old problems I´m afraid:

http://www.flashpoint1985.com/cgi-bin....t=55868

I have had this problems since 1.04 straight out of the box. I think its driver related because lately i have had the same artifacts in Medieval 2 (but very little).

I also think i remember this problem with OFP for a short while before i updated the drivers back then.

We had a person from ATI (under the name crossfire) here a while ago and i mailed him about this problem. He would look into it but i haven heard anything since.

P4 2.8c

ATI X800pro

Audigy 2

1gb ram

etc.

this game is unplayable, so many problems.

1. game freezes very often for about 3 seconds at a time.

2. when playing, graphics have not fully loaded, some objects look basic (square wheels, that sort of stuff)

3. someitmes when loaded, it looks ike someone has exploded a tin of paint

just like this, but everything does it.

4. when loading, it crashes. (probably 3 times out of 10)

im sure theres more problems, but ive played it for 5mins and gave up. is there any fixes.

ive also patched up to the latest, which i think is 1.08.

apart from that, and when the game runs well, the looks are amazing, but thats when it goes well, very rare.

this game is unplayable, so many problems.

1. game freezes very often for about 3 seconds at a time.

2. when playing, graphics have not fully loaded, some objects look basic (square wheels, that sort of stuff)

3. someitmes when loaded, it looks ike someone has exploded a tin of paint

just like this, but everything does it.

4. when loading, it crashes. (probably 3 times out of 10)

im sure theres more problems, but ive played it for 5mins and gave up. is there any fixes.

ive also patched up to the latest, which i think is 1.08.

apart from that, and when the game runs well, the looks are amazing, but thats when it goes well, very rare.

Try using the -maxmem=512 in your shortcut target if you havent already tried. Also make sure your graphic settings are not on default.

whats maxmem512? cant find it.

Check page 2 of this thread. This has already been discussed.

Also ... it may help to use this command in game, when things start getting "choppy"

<L> <SHIFT> + <NUMPAD> <-> then type 'FLUSH'

This clears vRam and may prevent a crash or clear particles/warping.

If this fixes your problem, then it will be clear to you that it is your video card/driver and not your OS or another variable.

Also ... it may help to use this command in game, when things start getting "choppy"

If this fixes your problem, then it will be clear to you that it is your video card/driver and not your OS or another variable.

This does NOT work. I am running the specs in my signature and doing this command does Activate "FLUSH". However, it doesn't fix the texture bug, it only resets the Video RAM or whatever it's doing.

I have reinstalled ArmA 5 times now and downloaded 5 1.08 patches from different sites and I am STILL getting this texture bug which drops my Frames Per Second to a condition where it is UNPLAYABLE.

I'm going to go to my last resort and reinstall Windows XP, because there is nothing else I can do. My graphics card and drivers work fine with any other game, in fact they work extremely well. The only problem I am having is with ArmA's 1.08 PATCH ONLY!

This does NOT work.  I am running the specs in my signature and doing this command does Activate "FLUSH".  However, it doesn't fix the texture bug, it only resets the Video RAM or whatever it's doing.

I have reinstalled ArmA 5 times now and downloaded 5 1.08 patches from different sites and I am STILL getting this texture bug which drops my Frames Per Second to a condition where it is UNPLAYABLE.

I'm going to go to my last resort and reinstall Windows XP, because there is nothing else I can do.  My graphics card and drivers work fine with any other game, in fact they work extremely well.  The only problem I am having is with ArmA's 1.08 PATCH ONLY!

No dont bother reinstalling windows that wont help, it's clearly a problem with the 1.08 patch, using the 1.07 patch doesn't have these texture issues.

This does NOT work. I am running the specs in my signature and doing this command does Activate "FLUSH". However, it doesn't fix the texture bug, it only resets the Video RAM or whatever it's doing.

I'm going to go to my last resort and reinstall Windows XP, because there is nothing else I can do. My graphics card and drivers work fine with any other game, in fact they work extremely well. The only problem I am having is with ArmA's 1.08 PATCH ONLY!

No dont bother reinstalling windows that wont help, it's clearly a problem with the 1.08 patch, using the 1.07 patch doesn't have these texture issues.

Thanks and I believe you are right. It seems like an isolated problem I guess (1.08).

Oh well, I hope BIS gets this fixed soon, because they might risk losing players if it becomes a long duration.

Sorry, but ArmA is UNPLAYABLE. I tried everything, this game is f* up.

C2D E6400

8800GTX

2GB Geil 800MHz

Vista HP x64

Hey guys smile_o.gif what is this 'maxmem' i keep hearing about, could it help? could you tell me what to do lol ive never heard of it, i guess it means maximum memory but what memory and what do you do? thanks wink_o.gif

It limits the amount of memory used by ArmA. Gives a performance increase to most people who use it correctly.

To use you edit your ArmA shortcut so you have

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">....Bohemia Interactive\ArmA\arma.exe" -maxmem=512

I believe that using half of your RAM works best.

Awesome, thanks , ill give it a try, i have 2gig ram so i would use say 1gig for game?

Well, actually it doesn't make it clear that it's the video card. They have the same flush command in America's Army.

All that the flush command does, is dump memory blocks that aren't being used anymore in the video memory. This is something that:

1. Can be caused by poor driver design.

2. Can also be caused by poor programming on the game developers part.

So, to just blow it off to the video card is erroneous.

This is an issue that needs to be addressed by Bohemia Interactive with nVidia or ATI.

I'd like to see the stats on which make of card has been more successful at running ArmA... nVidia or ATI?

Awesome, thanks , ill give it a try, i have 2gig ram so i would use say 1gig for game?

I would actually use your Task Manager to see how much physical memory is being used (do not include the pagefile - it should be a static size anyways).

Make sure that ArmA is not running while you're checking that.

Then check to see how much physical memory is being used by ArmA by checking the Task Manager with ArmA running.

You don't want to go over the amount of free physical memory when you put in the maxmem= amount. I'd leave a buffer of 256 or 128MB...

Just my thoughts...

MW

Would it not be smart to open the task manager, go the performance tab and see how many MB's of RAM you are using on just your desktop, then adjust the remainder of the RAM amount for the maxmem option?

I.e.: I have 2048 MB's of ram. My desktop UI uses 247MB's, 2048-247=1801

1801 minus by error margin=1536MB

Now, can ARMA fully use 1536MB's? I don't have my G15 keyboard anymore so I can't see CPU/Mem usage while the game is loaded and playing.

There seems to be some strange occurances in the "streaming" that ARMA is supposed to do. I don't see much hard drive activity compared to the amount of distance I am moving in-game. If I understand correctly the engine uses a grid of terrain, and a circle is representative of the player, grids ahead, beside and behind the player are drawn, while previous grids are purged from memory. It'd be nice to get some more info on this process so we can try to make it cache the upcoming data better.

I haven't seen ARMA use more than 900MB's of RAM, which is a waste imo.

Would it not be smart to open the task manager, go the performance tab and see how many MB's of RAM you are using on just your desktop, then adjust the remainder of the RAM amount for the maxmem option?

Yeah... I thought I said that... ? I wasn't clear I guess...

Quote[/b] ]

I haven't seen ARMA use more than 900MB's of RAM, which is a waste imo.

Yeah, I think so too.

All nVidia 7x users need hotfixes in their heads!  tounge2.gif

7x cards coolers are very very VERY gay design! After 2-3 months of usage tons of dust gets between fan and radiator in enclosed compartment! The card overheats as hell and you get lots of artifacts (like stated in first post), and in most games. (BTW, card tempo screening doesnt help alot, dunno why).

Already cleaned my 7900 and 2x friends 7900 coolers and goes perfectly!

Unfortunately cleaning 7x coolers is not so easy, bu with little screwdriver everything is possible.

EDIT: vCore temperature can go quite high with no artifacts, unfortunately vMemmory gets very unstable in higher temps on 79xx's. Your vCore can go 60-70 heating whole card, but problems will be from vMemory as on 60-70 it starts crashing.