Sign in to follow this  
fish44

View distance in MP

I noticed that my viewing distance is down to less than my video settngs when i go into a mp mission. Is there a way to

a. Know what the viewing distance is,

b. Adjust it.

Thanks

Thanks

Ah, put this into my init.sqs file for the mission.

I have put in SetViewDistance 2000. And it works for a distance of over 1000? Need to play around with values.

Result, for anyone interested

Setting of ViewDistance 1475 = 1000m in the game.

You don't happend to remember the command for turning off third person view. ?

Fish

The view distance is a bit shorter for objects but you can see the shape of the terrain further away until it dissappears into the fog completely.

Also, you might be intrested in the command setTerrainGrid which is the same as the terrain detail setting. Values:

50 very low

25 low (default for mp)

12.5 normal

6.25 high

3.125 very high

And these commands are local, meaning that one client might see further away or have more detailed ground elevations. Obviously, this can cause problems such as player 1 or his AI shooting through the ground from player 2's perspective etc.

To turn off 3rd person view you need to use the difficulty settings. There's no command to force it off per mission other than looping something like player switchCamera "INTERNAL" but that might not be such a good workaround.

Thanks for the comments

What you say about distance and objects makes sense, and my calibration numbers above are only for the objects. View distance is not really that relevant, since its the objects on the terrain that we wish to see (except maybe we are using a mountain peak for navigation).

Ive no problem with the other settings since all our clan are playing with the same agreed settings.

I a bit surprised however that the third person view cannot be 'locked' at mission level, since it can be a spoiler, However, i suppose the 'command' view is much more of a spoiler, allowing a birds eye view of the surrounding area. Oh well we will just have to be disciplined enough to keep it off.

I'll probbly do a separate post on this issue, but perhaps has been discussed before.

Once again we reach the limits associated with 'virtual' worlds trying to 'simulate' reality....