Sign in to follow this  
CanisDEK

ARMA player versus player

Until you create some kind of working squad system, resembling what exists in BF2, this game will continue to be an arcade "every Rambo for himself" type of shooter on public servers.

Please consider doing some gameplay feature updates alongside the bug fixes.

Hmm, don't know what you are talking about. I have no problem working with my teammates. Last night we did hold the fortress as Opfor and the enemy didn't even get in for 10 seconds.

Then when it came our turn, we won in the first 10 minutes (5 minute hold time or something like that)

No matter what game you play you are going to find tons of Rambos. I mean you mention BF2 for gods sake. The game where everyone takes a vehicle by themselves, and if they aren't in a vehicle, or camping for a vehicle, they are a sniper. There are some teams but the majority of people are lone wolves. Sure they join a squad but they never work as one.

ArmA has a group system. The rest of the features are usually very easy for a scripter to code.

Can you describe this squad system that you want?

Play some decent missions where players are grouped togother instead of crappy missions where everyone is put into his own group.

ArmA has the most extensive squad system ive ever seen. confused_o.gif

Guest Ti0n3r

Agreed. Something like the BF2 squad interface would be great. I really miss the teamwork I used to see while playing it sad_o.gif

Edit: When I think about it, the whole "more points if you work as a team" aspect was great. It encouraged, made and sometimes even forced people to play as a team.

It's not the game thats the problem, it's the player who is playing, the game doesn't make the player turn into rambo, the player himself is the one who chooses to be a Rambo, I've noticed several times while playing on servers, people will start to group and work together even if they are total strangers

Join some Coop nights! Get into a clan or a coop group ^^ Now that's really fun!

Sad thing is that a LOT of servers are playing Evolution 1.xxxxwhat-ever and I don't like that mission because of the unlocks.. the mission adds to the lonewolf aspect because everyone wants some kills so they can get their own chopper etc.

I can highly recommend Coop nights!

Most PvP games aren't even meant to be played seriously, clanwars are for that. I wonder what you mean with a BF2 style system. A random dude is a squad leader and issues "move there, kill him" orders and dead teammates spawn next to him? You can issue orders well enough as it is and with scripts a map maker can make people spawn anywhere necessary. Another thing is if map makers think the system is worthy of realizing. Personally I would hate to be commanded by a "team player" with no tactical insight or situational awareness and blocking a spawn with a hiding leader and constantly respawning attackers would be unfair.

It's not difficult to find players on a server that are willing to use teamwork. Just start discussing means of attacking/defending or identifying enemy locations. Just don't get annoying with it by doing things such as typing in all caps or saying those "l33t, n00b!sh" phrases.

Plus a squad system does not ensure rambo-free gameplay. It is just a easy means of communication between players that wish to work as a team.

Not sure if I agree that BF has more teamplayers and not sure if the teamplay in BF isn't just as much because of how the maps are laid out that forces a level of apparent cooperation.

But I'm sure no one would disagree that arma could use the option for some slightly more hardcoded command structures or so.

Though, one thing I think is never mentioned about Battlefield is its spotting feature. Spotting can help a greal deal with teamplay if the functionality allows it.

In BF you can spot any type regardless of what you're looking at. So if a tank just rolled past you but is out of view you can still spot it using a key-series (bf1942) or a (wheel?) menu (BF2/2142). This can also become misinformation, but that's just even more realism for you.

ArmA spotting is kind of limited and kind of annoying at range as you hammer the button to no avail. It's probably being simplified in favour of the AI, but I'd like to see some improvements in game2 or so.

I think it would be possible to code an exact copy of the BF2 commo spotting system in ArmA. You'd point at the terrain, hit a button and it'd bring up a menu, you'd select an icon and the icon would go onto the map where you were looking. If the map marker was close to a known enemy unit the marker could follow the enemy unit around on the map, disappearing after some time. The code practically writes itself.

And to speak of "the BF2 squad system" and how ArmA doesn't have it... you have to enumerate the features of the BF2 squad system. What exactly are you looking for?

1. Give orders to group members. Check.

2. Add squad members to your group on the fly. Check.

3. Respawn group members on squad leader. Check.

4. Mark map for other squad members. Check.

5. Dedicated voice and text channels for squad. Check.

ArmA has all this. What does BF2 have that ArmA doesn't?

My experience from America's Army, Vietcong and ArmA dictates that you don't need a squad system. You just need to communicate with your teammates and back your words up with results. ArmA already contains everything you need to succeed as a team.

But someone has to put in the work. There has to be a common desire to win the mission and not just be content with a good individual score.

You can't succeed without teamwork, which is the best incitament you can have.

Respawn kills team work. If you go rambo (in coop) and get killed in the first few minutes of a mission and then have to wait 20-30 minutes for a restart, you would soon stop ramboing and stick with a team to stay alive longer.

I guess respawn is needed in PvP or the missions would be over very fast.

I don't play respawn and I don't play PvP coz of the lack of team play.

Ditto, respawn kills teamwork and your willingness to keep each other and yourself alive. And any hard coded teamwork system would restrict the open ended possibilities we currently have. Get TeamSpeak, get in a clan. You won't look back.

best way to have teamwork in OFP is a lan or pre communicating with players before even firing up the game

Just like in real life, if I were to know that if I could respawn after death, you think I would follow the norms of Military protocol? Pft, I would have just ran at the enemies with my M4 and started shooting at them while screaming "LEEEROOOY JENKINS!!!!" (Though I hate people shouting that in games)

The bigger the consequences you must suffer for your actions, the more likely people will work as a team. Say, if you died and it shut down your game and you had to wait 24 hours to play it again, wouldn't you be more likely to work with your team.

I hated BF 2 with a passion. The day that BIS adopts forced squad reliance is the day I will no longer buy their games. I personally like being in either a squad OR lone wolfing. Both are a needed aspect in any team.

If I was in a squad, and I had a crapload of lone wolfers on my team.... as long as they are doing everything possible to take out the enemy, that is ok fine with me.

I don`t need everyone holding hands. Whiners, well, they can go back to BF 2 for all I care. lol

I'd just like to add that I don't really play online unless someone else from my group is playing. Lonewolfing is not my thing but I also can't really get into playing without at least one person that I can count on not to be a total dingbat. In that way, I disagree that respawn kills teamwork. It does kind of mess with it a bit since you have to actually coordinate to link back up after one dies, but it does also depend on who you're playing with largely.

in public servers i find myself finding a player and following him. If i wanted to play solo i'd be playing single player smile_o.gif

best way to have teamwork in OFP is a lan or pre communicating with players before even firing up the game

Agreed. Start communicating with some people who are hosting a Coop night. It's essential though that you use TeamSpeak, Ventrilo etc. since the ingame Voice Communication doesn't work that well. But once you have been dedicated into a squad and a squad channel on the TS/Vent. i'ts really fun and much more immense! : )

in public servers i find myself finding a player and following him. If i wanted to play solo i'd be playing single player smile_o.gif

Here here. I have the most fun playing multiplayer with other people instead of along side them.

Respawn kills team work. If you go rambo (in coop) and get killed in the first few minutes of a mission and then have to wait 20-30 minutes for a restart, you would soon stop ramboing and stick with a team to stay alive longer.

I guess respawn is needed in PvP or the missions would be over very fast.

I don't play respawn and I don't play PvP coz of the lack of team play.

In ofp someone made a script that one of your team mates or a medic of your team sould get near you before you could respawn, its a great anti rambo function cause all the rambo's start running and getting killed. No doubt the serius players wouldnt risk there life to give the rambo's a chance to do it again.

If its not moved to arma I sure hope its done soon gave me and some of my friends one hell of a good laugh.

Nothing beats this. I've played lots of MP with LAN connection in my youth. Quake with navy seal-mod, chopper-sim Hind or OFP notworthy.gif

LAN is the king of MP and this is the thing i miss from my youth... Miss it alot sad_o.gif

I'd hate to see BF2's squad system in ArmA.

Imagine the squad leader staying back, using himself as a mobile spawn for his teammates? The system might work n BF2, but lets make it stay there. If anything, only parachuting in would be acceptable.