Sign in to follow this  
Avenger29

Got some ATI problems

The specs:

This is for a Dell Inspiron 6400 notebook, built/purchased in July 2006, running Arma, US Version, 1.06.5151

Penitum Core Duo 1.6 Ghz (I know, below spec, but I can live

with running the game on minimum detail)

Windows XP Pro, with SP2. I can't tell you if it is up to date or not, due to the fact that updating is near impossible for me.

ATI Mobility Radeon X1300. 6.10 Drivers. These have not been updated, and I am having problems with it. I have tried to uninstall all of the drivers, reboot, and install either newer drivers, or try installing older drivers. Unfortunatly, it is impossible for me to do so because Windows automatically detects and installs its default drivers for it upon restart.

The problem:

When playing ArmA the graphics will corrupt to the point that the screen is filled with what basically looks like a crappy pie chart of base texture colors. I have lowered graphics, etc, to try to stop this.

Once I get these issues resolved, it will be great to see if BIS has topped OFP. I would also like to know what will be a good brand of video card to buy in the future.

Unfortunatly, it is impossible for me to do so because Windows automatically detects and installs its default drivers for it upon restart.

So you are blaming ati for a windows problem? You should try to install the new ati-driver over the old driver.

Also note that the M X1300 is also below the minimum specs. This means you should put everything on the lowest to start with.

ATI is a good brand, but you only have to buy a more powerfull one tounge2.gif, of course there is Nvidia aswell. Choice is up to you.

Quote[/b] ]So you are blaming ati for a windows problem? You should try to install the new ati-driver over the old driver.

No, I am not, but all the instructions and forums I have looked at say to uninstall old, reboot, and reinstall. I am hesitant to try to install the new drivers over the old as I have had very bad experiences with video cards in the past. If someone can tell me how to disable the auto-install and detection, I would be very grateful.

Quote[/b] ]M X1300 is also below the minimum specs, This means you should put everything on the lowest to start with.

I am not asking for mind-blowing performance, just the lowest level. The game started with the auto configuration, then I changed it to the lowest settings. Still no change. Which is why I am here.

Quote[/b] ]ATI is a good brand, but you only have to buy a more powerfull one tounge2.gif, of course there is Nvidia aswell. Choice is up to you.

Which doesn't help me a bit, considering that you can't change the cards on a laptop. ATI was the only choice available when I had the laptop built, so I had to go with it. No way in hell am I buying another ATI card. But upgrading is going to have to wait until I get another PC, preferably a good desktop. I don't have the money right now.

Get CCleaner. To get rid of any old driver software that hangs around after installation. My last 2 cards were ATI and I haven't had any problems so far like everyone is complaining about here.

Quote[/b] ]Get CCleaner

I have gone forth and Googled, and will download it right after I finish d/l the 7.5 update.

Quote[/b] ]My last 2 cards were ATI and I haven't had any problems so far like everyone is complaining about here.

Glad to hear that they have worked for you, but I will not be buying ATI in the future provided I can avoid it.

Quote[/b] ]I am not asking for mind-blowing performance, just the lowest level. The game started with the auto configuration, then I changed it to the lowest settings. Still no change. Which is why I am here.

I just sayed that your card is below minimum requirements, so there is a possibility it just not might run decently at all. confused_o.gif

Is your screen filling with the crappy pie chart(I love the description smile_o.gif) instantly or only after a certain time?

Also the thing that didn't help you at all was just to say you have only the choice between ATI/NVIDIA. ATI isn't a bad brand. I had also good experience with it. You just happen to have a cheap graphics card(and it's also in a laptop so performance is even lower this in exchange for better battery life).

To disable auto-install, you could go to your control panel, administrative tools, then to services, there you have to look for plug and play, right click properties, put that on disabled. Then uninstall driver, reboot, install new driver, put the service back to automatic, reboot and it should be done

Thanks, Kode, that's great info.

Quote[/b] ]s your screen filling with the crappy pie chart(I love the description smile_o.gif) instantly or only after a certain time?

This does not happen instantly. After a short while, it does start. It happens when looking around in certain directions, then when turning back to the previous direction, it may or may not decrease. It goes in and out. And "crappy pie chart" was about the best description that I could come up with, and it fits.

Thanks particuarly for helping me disable the autodetect. That should help a lot in trying to get the new drivers installed.

I have a Gateway laptop with a ATI x600 mobile.Theres the catch ..."mobility"

If I try to install new ATI drivers on my system it says I don't have a ATI card.I have to use ATI mobility raedon drivers specifically for my laptop that I download from gateway.com(I have forced other drivers tho)

Download your video drivers from dell.com for your laptop

at ati.amd.com you have a specific driver for the mobility that also should work. Although you indeed have to use the mobility radeon and not just radeon.

So how is it going, any luck with the new driver?

When I pick the mobility driver from ATI.com it says my card isn't supported and I need to seek manufacturer

It won't let you download... it does a test

Well, the regular Radeon X1300 drivers did not work. I am going to try Omega drivers, which say they support the Mobility cards.

Just went to Dell.com. The last time their drivers were updated was 7/13/2006, I think that was the day before my computer was loaded with software and shipped...

It is real slow going- dialup sucks, and there isn't anyway around it for me.

If the Omega driver doesn't work, I'm SOL.

Should work, thats what it says at ATI.com when my drivers don't match, it refers to Omega which are the other drivers I have forced before

I just use Gateways which are cat 6.4 i think

Quote[/b] ]I just use Gateways which are cat 6.4 i think

I have Catalyst 6.1 currently. Working on either upgrading or downgrading (as I have heard that going below the 5.8 set might help issues in another thread here...)

Got the omega on download, hope it works, as I am ready to dive into ArmA.

The Omega drivers did work.

Getting 15-20 fps, on lowest detail setting. Seems to be enough to pretty much play the game smoothly, at least to tide me over until I get a better machine to enjoy the graphics.

Ati is a Good Brand AMD owns them now

If you want later drivers for your card head over Here and try the latest Mobility Modder

Oh and ATI far from sucks just the OEM's who use them do wink_o.gif