Sign in to follow this  
Ronin13

Detailed Global Mapping (DGM) Project

I'm all for big areas in ArmA. The vastness would be cool. I want to recreate a fairly sizeable area of England. Mogadishu however won't ever be anywhere near 65% recreated in ArmA.

Ok deadmeat what you are doing is called in the PSYOPS world SPIN. To make truth look like lies and lies look like truths. In other words PROPAGANDA.

SNAKEMAN already proved beyond reasonable doubt that ArmA stream terrain technology can be push harder that whatever you have seen in VBS2 and he did it without the proper tools. That is a great achievement and I think we all should be thankful of PMC instead of giving them so harsh criticism.

The VBS2 map was constrained by MILESTONES, Project Management term that means you develop until the time or the money runs up which means it can be develop further but the developer needs to release the product, so it does. Check at the book Project Management (A Managerial Approach) by Wiley I took that class during my Masters Degree in Technology in College.

I will like to see what we will be able to make with the proper tools since I have seen what PMC Tactical did without the proper tools. IT IS AMAZING. yay.gif

AND THIS IS JUST THE BEGINING

Snake_Man proved nothing aside from the fact that ArmA doesnt share the same filesize limits as OFP, and therefore can handle larger sizes of the old wrp format. The last person to post along a similar train of thought to me was PR'd for trying to "expose" this truth, I wouldn't be surprised if my words were "spun" as you put it to have me PR'd too.

If anyone is spining propaganda its Snake_Man. The demo's which he has produced do NOT use the streaming technology available in ArmA, thus prove nothing to that extent.

Like I, and many other people have already said, all he is doing is using a kludge which was introduced in a recent patch to "force feed" the engine an obsolete format which does not use any of the new technology available in the new engine.

These demos do not use the new layerfile technology and do not use the streaming technology. Neither of which are possible "without the proper tools" or a suitably modified version of something like WRP Tool, development of which ceased a long time ago. So what he has been able to "make" is not indicative of the real capabilities of the ArmA engine.

I will agree that this IS only the beginning tho.

Ok deadmeat what you are doing is called in the PSYOPS world SPIN. To make truth look like lies and lies look like truths. In other words PROPAGANDA.

SNAKEMAN already proved beyond reasonable doubt that ArmA stream terrain technology can be push harder that whatever you have seen in VBS2 and he did it without the proper tools. That is a great achievement and I think we all should be thankful of PMC instead of giving them so harsh criticism.

The VBS2 map was constrained by MILESTONES, Project Management term that means you develop until the time or the money runs up which means it can be develop further but the developer needs to release the product, so it does. Check at the book Project Management (A Managerial Approach) by Wiley I took that class during my Masters Degree in Technology in College.

I will like to see what we will be able to make with the proper tools since I have seen what PMC Tactical did without the proper tools. IT IS AMAZING.  yay.gif

AND THIS IS JUST THE BEGINING

Ronin13

Given how long you have been here on the BIS forums I do suggest a little humilty.

Some of the guys replying to you, are extremely experienced and therefore have a wealth of knowledge that I would advise you do not ignore.

Bragging about your education impresses very few I am afraid, and frankly shows what little effect it has done for your personel skills.

I would strongly recommend a change of tact if you wish people to be more receptive to your train of thought.

Consider this friendly advice. The discussion is good, try not to make it personal.

Knowing the object density ArmA can support would be very handy. I remember reading somewhere Sahrani has ~790,000 objects. 400km^2 is the total terrain size, but does anybody know it's land area?

For reference, some OFP islands :

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">

WRP km^2 cells objects objects/km^2

abel 56.633 256 103114 1820.7

cain 34.350 256 70770 2060.3

eden 49.745 256 56740 1140.6

noe 93.688 256 177224 1891.9

nogojev 89.710 256 131866 1469.9

mapnoe2 96.250 256 777777 8080.8

tonal 157.260 512 147501 939.9

anjou v3 97.603 256 279369 2862.3

rezina 132.632 512 199191 1501.8

Isn't one OFP basic cell 50m? Just... hard to imagine that Tonal is merely half bigger than Nogova. huh.gif

Isn't one OFP basic cell 50m? Just... hard to imagine that Tonal is merely half bigger than Nogova.  huh.gif

noe 93.688 sqkm

tonal 157.260 sqkm

It isn't its closer to be twice as big as Nogova. Object wise it has half the density but remember that tonal is mostly desert and that the jungle parts are made out of forest squares and not individual objects.

I'm in my final year of a GIS degree.

I can't think of where to begin lecturing, but the possibilities, are quite literally, endless!

Google Earth, whilst great for Joe Blow, has quite low spatial accuracy and is of very little use any detailed mapping. The patch-work of images Google has utilised for it's programs and online mapping, are poorly geo-referenced and mosaiced. Generally, one 'full' image (Google splits full images into lots of smaller ones for streaming efficiency) will be poorly lined up in comparison to another 'full image', IE... the topography is shifted.

Whilst they should be commended for a very useful program, it's of little use for the creation of DEM's, especially if they're to be the basis of a 3D world. You need raw data such as contour and spot heights, and raw images straight from the agencies, responsible for distributing them… Anything but cheap!

If you want accuracy, you wouldn't be using Google for anything.

Then there are the issues of different agencies, using different height datum’s, projections, co-ordinate systems, units of measurement, file types e.t.c. …..The list goes on and on and on!

Whilst conversion to a common standard is achievable, it would be extremely time consuming!