Sign in to follow this  
Deadmarsh

Vista + out of reserved memory

I've been having out of reserved memory errors ever since I got my new PC (Vista as OS). I have 4 GB of RAM and I suspect OFP doesn't know how to handle it?

Vista is usually using around 1.5 GB of it at any given time so if OFP can only handle 2 GB that doesn't leave much left and might be causing the errors.

My old system almost never suffered from this problem and it only had 1 GB of RAM.

Is there a way to fix this issue?

Maybe you have set the memory amount too low on OFP preferences. If that doesn't help try the -nomap command line parameter.

I'm already using the -nomap parameter, forgot to mention that.

I'll check the memory amount, with 4 GB it should be 4096 right?

Also the game itself starts with no problem, the problem exists when I try to save missions or sometimes when the mission is starting.

I would set it at, maybe 2GB or so, should be more than enough. If they use a 32-bit unsigned integer to hold the value of maximum memory, it might roll around to zero if you set it at exactly 4GB smile_o.gif

I recommend getting rid of Vista & installing XP (I've already helped 3 people reinstall XP )...There's a reason why that "OS" isn't selling too well you know.

Vista is selling twice as fast than XP when it came out icon_rolleyes.gif

Besides, this is not a Vista problem, it's an issue with OFP not using the memory which is available to it.

So pack your troll gear and go someplace else.

I have 4 GB of RAM and I suspect OFP doesn't know how to handle it?

With logic like that no wonder you're a vista fan.

Only reason why vista sells (and it's only in the USA) is because most new pre-assembled PCs come with it. And yanks will consume just about any piece of turd that's wrapped nicely and hyped in the media.

And I'm not trolling , I've dealt with this operating system on other people's PCs and there are loads of bugs in it from graphical interface problems to internet connection & compatibility issues . It's why I stay clear of it.

Though i've been marked as Vista fan-boy before, I still got something to add:

Incompatibilities and other problems are usually caused by usage of Old versions of programs and drivers or even WRONG drivers.

Vista performs worse for me in ArmA though it does better in some other games, no discussion needed about that, but telling ppl to go back to XP because of the things you mention is usually caused by the unknowing/inexperience of the ppl.

Usually it takes 1-6 months since an OS release until it gets the support of the majority of software, hell even many of the software simply runs! Still I think it takes 6-18 months for an OS to be "As good supported as the previous one".

(Besides, Microsoft Bashing is a real hobby and a trend at any age, I know the usual preconceptions and I know what kind of effect they can have on the perception while working with the OS and when things aren't working etc wink_o.gif )

As for the problem of the thread starter; Do you use any Addons?

If you have any addons installed please remove all of them (move to some backup folder) and try again.

Reasons for out of memory I've found:

- Wrong/Corrupted Addon

- Too many Addons (talking mainly about the total size, not the amount)

OFP can not assign more than 512MB of some kind of memory afaik, even though the memory usage in Task Manager sometimes goes over, still after the 512MB mark the game usually crashes soon. What is your memory usage during the game and around the crashes? (you can check it out with task manager (CTRL+SHIFT+ESCAPE))

last PC I worked on vista would cause so much hardware instability problems the laptop would shut itself off during boot. It's like Microsoft is working on it's first operating system. rofl.gif

last PC I worked on vista would cause so much hardware instability problems the laptop would shut itself off during boot. It's like Microsoft is working on it's first operating system. rofl.gif

Which sounds exactly like wrong/old/outdated drivers, thats why MS invented Downloading Updates while installing (if available) and windows update after installing. Did your laptop act this way after an Upgrade, after a clean install, or after you installed some applications and or Drivers?

No no! this happened after a fresh reinstall..The flippin thing would just shut down after boot. I installed it twice thinking it goofed up first time around , same thing. So I just broke out my XP copy installed that and everything was fine.

No no! this happened after a fresh reinstall..The flippin thing would just shut down after boot. I installed it twice thinking it goofed up first time around , same thing. So I just broke out my XP copy installed that and everything was fine.

Then that's indeed poor. Might check up the Vista Compatibility Advisor, altough i'm not so sure but I think it also tests for BIOS versions and notes incompatibilities and problems smile_o.gif

Maybe it would help to set it quite low, like something under 1GB. I have mine at 768 MB (total 1GB) and it never runs out. Anyways, back to Vista bashing, sorry for the interruption.

I'll try the low memory amount, changing it to 2048 didn't change anything. Removing any extra addons reduced the amount of errors little, but didn't remove them completely.

I'll try the low memory amount, changing it to 2048 didn't change anything. Removing any extra addons reduced the amount of errors little, but didn't remove them completely.

Simply try without any Addons.

I for instance already had Out of Memory errors simply by playing on the Nogova 2 Island by MAPFact, didn't need to add any other addon, few minutes: BAM out-of-reserved-memory smile_o.gif

Try limitting to 512, but my tests never really made the errors go away, only reducing addons and weeding out wrong or big ones.

It's kind of hard to run a mod without any addons though tounge2.gif

The weird thing in this is that my old PC handled the same amount of addons without memory errors and it had 4 times less memory than my current system.

It's kind of hard to run a mod without any addons though tounge2.gif
What do you exactly want?

Screw around with a mod, crash and don't know what the problem is

Or simply disable the mod and play to see if you still have the same problems as before?

Reply @ ur Edit:

OFP only supports assigning 512MB of RAM afaik, and anything going above soon ends in Memory Errors.

In between ur current PC and back then, there can still be a lot different... Corrupted addons is a possiblity..

My system has 1.50 gb of ram , I've got 6.53 GB of addons in my folder..it takes over 5 minutes to load OFP on my PC. But I don't get 1 error message.

But I agree. Reinstall OFP from scratch and make sure you use "-nosplash -nomap" commands with no extra addons. If you still get memory errors then sorry that means vista's an anti-OFPmite.

The game now works relarively well after I removed most of the addons. Changing the memory amount in the cfg-file didn't help.

Atleast not much. I think OFP is unable to handle the 4 GBs of RAM I have confused_o.gif

Thanks for the help guys smile_o.gif