Sign in to follow this  
Heavy Metal

My problem with the Aimpoint model in ArmA.

Folks,

The Aimpoint (and the EoTech which is not modeled in the game) is designed to be used by both eyes. The tube does not significantly interfere with your field of view in the real world. Your brain uses the imagery from the weak eye to 'subtract' the tube from your FOV.

In ArmA, the tube occupies a large chunk of your FOV. A real aimpoint does not do this for the above reason. The tube should be deleted in the zoom view and only a red dot that appears to float in the air should replace it.

This, IMO, makes the Aimpoint more unweldly than the iron sight model.

I dont know, when I looked through some aimpoints (cheap ones). I was still able to see the "tube".

rofl.gif

I have to agree with this, it takes up far too much screen when using it and detracts from whats its purpose is, thats to make sighting fast and easy.

You throw it up you fire enemy dead you throw it down.

Has anybody played Novas Black Hawk Down? That has a Great Aimpoint IMO.

I think the real issue is why does it matter? whistle.gif

I've got one word for you: Addons. If you don't like the BIS content then don't use it, find or make something better.

Yes, the aimpoint is problematic. I have thought about it some time, and as I see it there is no easy fix to that.

I dont know how it would be possible to make a realistic aimpoint with the 3d sights, as it should be "subtracted" from the view. If you use the 2d image for scoped weapons to get the freefloating red dot you would loose the the new great features of a "free-bobbing" sight (when walking) and the ability to look around with trackIR. And loosing that is not worth it..

Even if it was "subtracted from the view" when you zoom in, it should only happen when you use it. So if I`m zoomed in and aiming through the aimpoint I should experience a floating point, when I look away with trackIR, still zoomed in, the aimpoint should be visible like today.. (edit: maybe not so important to make it visible when its not in focus..?)

This is not easy to fix, I think. One way to solve it would be to use 3d goggles and only project the aimpoint to the right eye. Then you have a fully realistic and functional aimpoint.

Maybe it could be possible to make the texture on the aimpoint transparent when you have it zoomed in and in focus? That could simulate a real aimpoint and make it more reallistic and usable. How to do that? No idea.. Maybe with some alpha channels that makes the aimpoint transparent when you look at it directly from behind and some magic use of some, not yet discovered, "features" in the arma-engine?  crazy_o.gif

(edit: maybe its not that important to only have it transparent when you are using it (in focus..), maybe it is as "simple" as having transparent textures on the faces that are at the back of the aimpoint. So when looking at it from the side or front it looks like today, but if you look at it from behind its tranparent? The transparent textures at the back of the sight could go unnoticed if you are not using the sight or holding the gun as the faces are small. Do anyone understand what I`m trying to explain? That could be a fix to this. Maybe..?)

EDIT: sorry about my edits, but the transparent texture-idea growed on my as I was typing..

I think there's a lod for weapons which is only visible for the player in 1st person view, you could make that partially transparent. It would look a bit silly when you're not aiming though but at least it wouldn't be transparent for others.

Because normal use of an aimpoint sight involves keeping both eyes open it should not be so solid.

Making the sight barrel semi-transparent when in aim mode would be cool. (even better if it could be blured)

Folks,

The Aimpoint (and the EoTech which is not modeled in the game) is designed to be used by both eyes. The tube does not significantly interfere with your field of view in the real world. Your brain uses the imagery from the weak eye to 'subtract' the tube from your FOV.

In ArmA, the tube occupies a large chunk of your FOV. A real aimpoint does not do this for the above reason. The tube should be deleted in the zoom view and only a red dot that appears to float in the air should replace it.

This, IMO, makes the Aimpoint more unweldly than the iron sight model.

Agreed. There had been some game (cannot remember what it was again) where that looked quite realistic. Like a blurry somewhat arround the red dot suggesting there was still "something" (the tube which has been deleted by your right eye) smile_o.gif

You know the thing with the toiletpaper-roll and your right hand` biggrin_o.gif ?

NovaLogic's Black Hawk Down does have a nice aimpoint view and I play that game A LOT, but I still prefer ARMA's 3D aimpoint view as it gives me a visual simulation of really having a weapon with an aimpoint sight, its one of those little things why I like ARMA so much.

What I find lacking in ARMA's aimpoint is the ability to reduce or expand the red death dot as how you would want it like in Black Hawk Down, in that game I find reducing the death dot to its smallest size helps a lot in aiming at small far away targets or even near targets who are between shacks and crevices whereas in ARMA the death dot takes up the whole target and it gets worse as the distance to target increases.

I would suggest adding death dot reduction/enlargement and blurring the aimpoint outline some more when aiming.

I would suggest adding death dot reduction/enlargement and blurring the aimpoint outline some more when aiming.

Blurring the aimpoint outline is something I can understand, due to DoF, but it adjustung the dot size actually realistic? I mean is it adjustable on real modern scopes?

This is offtopic, but are you supposed to look through a weapon's sights with your strong or weak eye?

Quote[/b] ]This is offtopic, but are you supposed to look through a weapon's sights with your strong or weak eye?

Dominant eye. Aim something at a distance with your thumb (you need to have it well focused, not the target) then close one eye. If the thumb moves (revealing the target behind it) the closed eye is dominant.

Quote[/b] ]Blurring the aimpoint outline is something I can understand, due to DoF, but it adjustung the dot size actually realistic? I mean is it adjustable on real modern scopes?

You could look at it from different distances (which is NOT the same thing as zooming as is possible in ArmA), making it appear in different sizes relative to the stuff behind it.

Blurring the aimpoint outline is something I can understand, due to DoF, but it adjustung the dot size actually realistic? I mean is it adjustable on real modern scopes?

The dot size on the latest model Aimpoint is 2moa or roughly 2 inches apparent at 100M.

Because normal use of an aimpoint sight involves keeping both eyes open it should not be so solid.

ArmA is not an Aimpoint simulator, what you got is an Aimpoint that fits the constraints of ArmA's simulation of weapon optics. And I highly doubt BIS had Aimpoints in mind when designing that part of the engine for OFP way back in the nineties.

Then just delete the tube in the zoom mode. Not perfect but closer to the real world than what is.

The whole purpose of the Aimpoint is FOV and fast target acquisition. Better than irons.

The ArmA model is worse than Irons, it is a handicap.

ArmA is not an Aimpoint simulator, what you got is an Aimpoint that fits the constraints of ArmA's simulation of weapon optics. And I highly doubt BIS had Aimpoints in mind when designing that part of the engine for OFP way back in the nineties.

that may be, but i think they could just simply make the aimpoint housing semi-transparent.

i play professional airsoft, and i use a Aimpoint and EOTech sights on my HK416D. when using them with both eyes open, the sight it self appears seethrough.

one thing that does bother me is the placment of the view when looking down the gun when not using the sights.. its way too far to the left of the weapon. to me it seems as if when not using your sights you are viewing with your left eye (which is too far to the left), and then switch to your right eye to use the sights. when you are sighting the weapon your head is slightly tilted and your shoulder is slightly raised to line up your eyes with the sight, to me it would be more accurate if the weapon was placed closer to the center and lower on the screen when your not looking down the sights.

i understand the limitations of having a virtual box over your head blocking most of your view, but thats no excuse to make the view over the weapon wrong.

i'll take some pictures of my HK416 from my eye's perspective and post them up so we can compair them.

Guys I should have made myself more clearer. I should have said reduction or enlargement of BRIGHTNESS of the red dot not size. The size of the red dot gets smaller as you reduce the brightness and vice versa as you expand the brightness. It can be done IRL.

Guys I should have made myself more clearer. I should have said reduction or enlargement of BRIGHTNESS of the red dot not size. The size of the red dot gets smaller as you reduce the brightness and vice versa as you expand the brightness. It can be done IRL.

its not the size of the RDS than changes when you adjust the brightness.

simply looks larger when brighter cause of bloom and glare.

its not the size of the RDS than changes when you adjust the brightness.

simply looks larger when brighter cause of bloom and glare.

Exactly, it is the way your eye and brain percieves it. the size stays the same. The apparent size changes.