Sign in to follow this  
smiley nick

Virtual Community Project

(“I guess you can call this an “addon/modâ€, as it will have content, but its also mission based, I will let the moderators decideâ€)

Virtual Community Project

(name is just a placeholder)

Here is an idea I had a while back, and I thought I would write up a little summary to see if anyone would be interested in taking the project on, or a collaboration effort with many people.

The idea is simple

“Putting the ArmA community into the gameâ€

You might be a bit confused, but let me explain.

Imagine a world, where there is a server running 24/7, with JIP.

In this world, there are locations that represent organizations.

Those organizations can consist of mod team's, clan's, news site's, each with the spot on a map, with a custom built building.

At those locations, people can view,walk in and around, and get information from the building, as you would by viewing a website.

The people viewing these locations will in fact have their own “lifeâ€, similar to nogvill or crime city, where you have earn a living, in its basic form.

Think of it as a huge role-playing game, but with some strength holders as community mod team and news site buildings.

The player would be in the community in a virtual game world.

Some people might think sad, and you are free to think that, and you might as well close your window.

But those of you with map making experience, or ideas, could contribute to the thread, and we could try and make this happen.

I think it would strengthen the community by far, with “updates†every month or when there is new content.

With a similar system to the evolution, people can save data, and have job ranks, a income, and if they wish generally chat and visit general areas of interest in the ArmA world.

Anyway, let’s see what the reaction is! As I am hoping some of the big name mission makers would like to help!

Nick

Nice idea... But how do you want to update the server with the current informations?

To keep things simple.

We could use the dialogues and updating the sqs variables that where created, as part of the evolution style workaround mission.

It does sound like a cool idea - would definitely be worth taking a "snapshot" of all the building and object content at a regular interval (dependant on the popularity would alter the frequency of requirement for this) and using it to create a proper WRP, since having large quantities of script spawned objects on a server is gonna get boggy eventually.

Still, cool idea, I kindof like it biggrin_o.gif

Sounds rather epic, after a few highspeed adrenaline fueled spec-op missions I could do with just hopping in a truck, cruising and soaking up some good ambience. I like the Idea actually and no doubt its 110% possible. tounge2.gif

Get my vote.

There was a similar project in the german community: Operation Freeworld

Maybe you can get in contact with these guys, but i don't know, if this project is up to date

this sounds like a good idea. i love playing second life and this sounds like it could be something along the lines of that...just not as much freedom? i guess?

either way, sounds like a great idea and i'd like to help in any way i could.

sort of like a virtual interactive Biki of sorts? (besides the aforementioned similarities to 2nd Life)

could be interesting - trying to get my head around quite how it would all pan out and work, but the concept is certainly interesting

Nice idea... now we can blow up mod team's buildings in ArmA.... would make great spec op operations rofl.gif

Nice idea but who will run server not for game but just for walking around?

Oh I can just picture it I now!

A mod team doesn’t post and news, or release any new updates in a month, and you have some rioters throwing stones and firebombs at their HQ on Sahrani.

Would there be a need for a police force perhaps?

It can offer a huge scope

For instance, clans can advertise and recruit in "real time" if people turn up!

But yes, I guess you could view it on the same lines as second life, but it would more constructive.

But judging from the feedback, all comments are "in favour" which is good.

So where do we start? If this is a community "2nd life" then it should be created by the community too (by many)

Nick

I like the idea very much, My hut would be striptease club, where u could see all my custom faces(and breasts) yay.gifyay.gif

Count me in if anything like this happens. Sounds really cool

yeah very good idea thumbs-up.gif

nice idea, but which servers should handle such big mass on players?

its a great idea , you could saharani radio playing in all vehicles, and i wonder if a virtual youtube is possible with mod links to movies , i know ofp airwolf managed to get video working ingame! clan competitions and shooting ranges ooh it would be pretty cool .

<Smiley_Nick: Welcome to Sahrani. Here we can see the BAS' stand, there aren't any BAS members online at the moment, but you can see their wip models. You can board any of them and test them for a while untill we move on to the RHS stand, which is situated just on the other side of the street.

Oh, and be careful with the>...BANGbangbangbang

<Oh no, Smiley_Nick's down>

<haxorr1_{mastah_blastah}_superPwNeR!!111!: sry guyz, didn't now da minigunz re working>

J/k. Would be cool, really! But it would take a lot of effort to make it interesting for a longer period of time...Maybe some kind of interactive BIKI (as somebody mentioned) or tutorial?

I like the idea for possible clan recruitment. There could be like a market with ads (billboards?) and such stating what times recruiters would be on etc and then have small training courses that clan leaders could only activate for some training/recruiting.

Thumbs up for this thumbs-up.gif but only doubt would be that people wont use it so much for info coz web browsing is so much quicker and easier and the server would be over loaded(?)

players without nothing to show(non educated), could be bus drivers to ship ppl from place to place. And police would be a must(but carefully selected to avoid abusing power tounge2.giftounge2.giftounge2.gif)

Tk'ing should be punished with 2week jail (ban) break.

Oh and I like this idea alot welcome.gifwelcome.gifwelcome.gif

Could just set it to no friendly fire if weapons would be included at all (depending if there is a recruitment section for training etc).

Police could just be moderators but unarmed or perhaps given rubber bullets that break your legs so you can't run amok biggrin_o.gif

Would be sweet to have a bus station tho smile_o.gif

Oh and maybe everyone could just be given a car so we could have some nice traffic going with road rules etc and cops to keep speed limits upheld tounge2.gif Would need to find a way, if not already one, to make it so you cannot drive other peoples cars but your own. So if you break it then it's the bus for you wink_o.gif ...till you reconnect maybe

Nice concept, I'd love to build a palace for ArmedAssault.info in the newssites-greenzone :P

But I don't think that this would work in the near future.

There are simply too many idiots on this planet who will join 2ndArmA only to kill&destroy.

Furthermore I can't think of a server capable to run with that many players.

IMO we have to wait till the community is smaller again and most of the "idiots" have switched to BF 5642 (like it was back in 2006)

Nice concept, I'd love to build a palace for ArmedAssault.info in the newssites-greenzone :P

But I don't think that this would work in the near future.

There are simply too many idiots on this planet who will join 2ndArmA only to kill&destroy.

Furthermore I can't think of a server capable to run with that many players.

IMO we have to wait till the community is smaller again and most of the "idiots" have switched to BF 5642 (like it was back in 2006)

agreed too many new version with stupid idiots bying games with daddys money...

well to start out we first need to plan what all is going to be in here. peoples houses? clan buildings? mod's buildings? etc. then decide whether to use Sahrani? a new map? or perhaps an editted version of sahrani (thats what i'd think). after that have the ones that are allowed to have a builing/property claim it and/or claim the land so they can get the building removed and make their own building.

and using the tool that allows for real time updating using http you could imagine the possiblities. (whats that tool called again?)