Sign in to follow this  
neswrossi

Sight Adjustment

Noticed this in the ArmA 1.07 changelog:

New: Weapons - optics camera can have a different direction than muzzle direction now

This could mean we can adjust optical sights in game?

As has already been partially discussed here, the feature you mentioned could be used to implement adjustable sights. But, as far as we are informed, it will not be in version 1.08 and we are not sure if BIS will ever impmement it.

I believe a feature request for this already exists in the bugtracker.

I meant by using some kind of script.

Not really. It is currently used to have 3D grenade launcher sights.

Methods to make adjustable sights in ArmA are too cumbersome to bother with IMO. And probably would be buggy.

I dont think we really need adjustable sights as much as we need the sights adjusted accurate use the MilDot system.

I would like to see them add a feature that keeps the Grenade-launcher ladder down until you select the GL.

I dont know how possible this is, but I think it would be great if they could add the Aimpoint 3xMag Scope that can be put on and pulled off at any given time to augment the Aimpoint.  I am not a fan of ACOG.

EoTech sight would be neat, but I hear there is a mod coming out for it.

I would like to see them add a feature that keeps the Grenade-launcher ladder down until you select the GL.

this is perfectly possible using modelspecial with weapons as in ofp... its strange that bis didn't choose to use it

Quote[/b] ]... its strange that bis didn't choose to use it

I guess they wanted to fix it fast. Maybe we´ll see animated flipsights later...just speculating though.

This new feature could have some intresting potential uses.

As well as adjusting sight optics to compensate for distance and windage, you could also set up GMPG tripods for later use.

I guess they wanted to fix it fast. Maybe we´ll see animated flipsights later...just speculating though.

of course - at any rate its a very easy thing to implement in for community made stuff

Methods to make adjustable sights in ArmA are too cumbersome to bother with IMO. And probably would be buggy.

Buggy? How the heck would you make it buggy? I mean its not hard, you make it, so when you press a button, such as scroll on mouse like in JOTR, it moves the gun up for 100m, then 200m, then 300 and so forth.

I really dont see a way you can screw that up, if Novalogic can do it, then anyone can.

of course - at any rate its a very easy thing to implement in for community made stuff

Modelspecial wouldn't work because it wouldn't allow you to share magazines between the GLs on different weapons, among other things. Animation controllers are more practical and likely the method BIS would use if they were to do it (besides they're really into creating new controllers for the patches).

Quote[/b] ]Buggy? How the heck would you make it buggy? I mean its not hard, you make it, so when you press a button, such as scroll on mouse like in JOTR, it moves the gun up for 100m, then 200m, then 300 and so forth.

I really dont see a way you can screw that up, if Novalogic can do it, then anyone can.

That's exactly the kind of thinking that will get you the reputation of an idiot. Your words are proof that you have no idea of what the technical aspects of doing that are. First, ArmA's simulation of infantry weapon mechanics is not very detailed, the whole thing is in need of makeover much more drastically than this feature is needed. If the engine supports motion of the camera position and direction memory points within the model (most likely via animations), then sure it might be possible, given the addition of the required animation controllers by those developing the game engine, for an experienced person to design and calculate a method of adjusting the sights for their specific weapon model. It'd take a lot more work from the weapon creator for each weapon they make. It would have to be customized and calibrated for each different type and design of sight. And it's often hard enough just to give the weapon accurate & realistic config values. And then that all depends on a big IF anyway. And I don't like your "I really can't see how that's hard" attitude when you really can't see how it works at all and your "if someone else can do it, anyone can" attitude when you can't see how extremely different the situations are.

Buggy?  How the heck would you make it buggy?  I mean its not hard, you make it, so when you press a button, such as scroll on mouse like in JOTR, it moves the gun up for 100m, then 200m, then 300 and so forth.

It's not as simple as you think, because we can't actually change the scope or muzzle vector in game.

We would have to resort to workarounds, thus going with a high risk of bugs, and potentially not even getting it right at all.

Please people stop comparing ArmA to other games, it is and always will be apples and oranges.

Animation controllers are more practical and likely the method BIS would use if they were to do it (besides they're really into creating new controllers for the patches).

Good to hear, missed that one. smile_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]Modelspecial wouldn't work because it wouldn't allow you to share magazines between the GLs on different weapons, among other things. Animation controllers are more practical and likely the method BIS would use if they were to do it (besides they're really into creating new controllers for the patches).

yes, of course - I'd overlooked that tounge2.gif

Quote[/b] ]Modelspecial wouldn't work because it wouldn't allow you to share magazines between the GLs on different weapons, among other things. Animation controllers are more practical and likely the method BIS would use if they were to do it (besides they're really into creating new controllers for the patches).

yes, of course - I'd overlooked that tounge2.gif

An animation linked to the selected firemode could do it, although I think BIS would need to add the ability to have animations controlled by firemode. If it goes as a feature request on the bug tracker it might get their attention.

Pressing the freelook button and moving the mouse up or down to adjust the sights would be a good system.

Pressing the freelook button and moving the mouse up or down to adjust the sights would be a good system.

Wow, that is a good idea. Perhaps not necessarily the freelook button, because I use that, but an extra button for adjusting sights in combination with moving the mouse would probably be very intuitive.

Nice idea. notworthy.gif

Now thats an excellent suggestion! I think the mods should forward your idea to BIS, I would love to see something like that. thumbs-up.gif

I think most scope adjustments are made via knobs with "clicks" (I say click because no one knows what a 'detent' is). Key presses that increment the scope/sight zero in steps are probably the most realistic.

Although the idea of having to look at the butt end of your weapon while you held down the "Knob adjust" key (that shifted mouse from aim over to knob rotation) sounds all sorts of cool.