Sign in to follow this  
Winters1807

Afterburner?

Just wondering if BIS had any plans for an after burner feature on the aircraft? I think it wud definately add to the realism.

Any one know of any after burner addons?

I don't know how big an impact it is going to make, other than as you say realism. It doesn't take very long to travel from one side of the island to the other as it is now. Realism for realisms sake?

without the single goal of realism, whats the point of making weapon addons, as guns are guns?

Also, jet pilots use after burner when a missile lock is detected, its the split second aspects that mean mean u end up in flames or not.

Well its would only be useful for the Su-34 anyway... so its not really vital. There's no high speed interceptors and modders will add the to their addons anyway. Different aircraft have different afterburn too anyway.

And the afterburn just makes the aircraft a bigger heat signature anyway...appart from the speed boost

Wouldn't flying manoeuvres designed to counter missiles be better than raw speed?

i know that when tornado pilots get a lock, they engage after burners, break right/left, at the peak of the break they release countermeasures, then come out of the break and go really low and really fast

So its a bit of everything, seeing as this is a simmulator it would be nice to have all 3, not complaining, just think it wud b cool 2 add thats all

Black-out would be nice too. For all those high G moments.

Maneuvers to evade air to air missiles typically just involve trying to make the missile waste energy. Air to air missiles usually only fire their rockets for the first second or so of flight before they run out of fuel. If you make a missile try to turn to get you, it wastes its precious energy and eventually will not have enough left to turn into you anymore. When missiles are in forward flight, they have very low drag. When they try to turn, the expose more of their skin to the airflow because they have to increase their aoa, causing a drastic increase in drag. The technique of 'beaming' the missile was invented to take advantage of this. If there's no way that he can fade out of range, the target aircraft will turn 90 degrees to the missile's approach. This will cause the missile to have to turn constantly in order to stay on an intercept course with him, eventually wearing the missile down until it can't keep up anymore. Of course, any thrust you can get would be great... but I'm not sure if missiles in ArmA can be beamed or have the engagement range necessary to even try it out.

Mission/addon makers will just include it as they see fit anyway, there's no real need to request it. It was practically standard on all the worth-downloading jet aircraft in OFP so it's just a matter of time, just wait patiently.

I never played OFP so i dont really know what this community is made of, though i have heard great things

Do the real jets even have an afterburner feature in them? I thought afterburners are only found in arcade flying games.

Every single supersonic fighter jet has an after burner, as it needs one to go supersonic. Only a handful of jets exist today which can "supercruise" (go supersonic without the use of afterburners) and none of them are in production right now. The most famous of them undoubtedly being the F-22 Raptor.

The after burner of a jet is engaged by pushing the throttle to the fabled "110%", so, past the combat power setting of "full take-off thrust", you engage the after burner. Most jets can only sustain after burner thrust for about four to five minutes on a full load of fuel (!!!wink_o.gif before going Bingo, so it's not used all that much as movies would have you believe.

To evade missiles using your after burners is mandatory and it is part of your flight training. Yes, they will create more heat. But seeing as your engines are already generating thousands of degrees celsius worth of heat, the extra couple of hundred won't be that big of a deal.

The trick of evading an incoming missile is, as posted above, making it lose its momentum. Get as much distance as you can between you and the enemy target and do everything you can to get a 90-degree angle on the incoming missile. Then start popping off flares to distract it. More commonly, you engage your afterburners and go into a very, very steep climb in an attempt to make the missle bleed off its speed. Making the missile go 'up' instead of straight for your or down on you can halve its range! It's probably the smartest thing to do. As soon as you hear the tone, don't bother checking your bearing, push the log and pull the stick. smile_o.gif

No real jets have transwarp coils and phaser arrays