Sign in to follow this  
vipermaul

Excellent!! Armed Assault on a MAC PC

Excellent - Now my friend can play Armed Assault on his MAC - http://blogs.pcworld.com/gameon/archives/004546.html

LOL.

If you can play Half-Life and Quake 4, I wonder if it is possible if you can play Armed Assault?! Hmm... who thinks it would be possible?

I wonder if BIS wants to weigh in on the technical possibilities too. Your thoughts are welcome as well. As long as it doesn't delay the patch 1.08 (not 1.8) but 1.08. LOL

I'd also love to hear confirmed stories when this does come out if its possible.

Can you please ask your friend how the game runs ?

Is it maybe more fluent that on windows ?

another question: which operation system of the following would you guys recommend to play ArmA with best performance:

windows xp

windows 2000

zeta

any type of linux

mac

I can confirm that you can run ArmA on a Mac.  Mooncaine[QSF] was able to run the original ArmA demo (v. 1.03) successfully.  However, I think he recently ran into some sort of performance issue.  I can try and post more details later or have him post about his experiences here since he has an account in the BIS forums.

@ dick

you should get the size of your linked pictures under 100 Kb or you'll have a moderator yelling at you or removing the pics.

I recommend to use Irfan view to resize your pics.

For a minute I thought someone had managed to get it running under Mac OS/X (natively without parallels VM). Now that would have been really impressive smile_o.gif

For a minute I thought someone had managed to get it running under Mac OS/X (natively without parallels VM). Now that would have been really impressive smile_o.gif

I should have mentioned that it is not running on the Mac OS, but MS Windows running on Mac hardware.  I still have not heard back from Mooncaine, but he had recently mentioned to me that his Mac has a 2.16GHz Intel Core Duo processor and his exact words were "it doesn't run so great" (the 1.03 demo).

I noticed significant improvements in gameplay from 1.xx to 1.07. Maybe if he patched a bit.

I've been running this game on my iMac for a while now, I use Windows Vista on Boot Camp. It runs natively (not in OS X, in Windows).

Hi, MoonCaine here. I haven't tried ArmA since the night M9ACE described, but I just downloaded the ArmA demo again a few days ago and will try again soon.

In short, here's my experience:

Installed Windows, secured it, and booted Windows on my MacBook Pro. M9 had the specs right. The graphics in this MBP are handled by an ATI Radeon x16000 with 256MB RAM. The MBP had 1GB of RAM then; now it's got 2GB but I haven't fired up ArmA on it [yet, see below].....

I got into some online missions with M9, and spent most of my time messing with graphics settings, trying to improve performance.Seemed a bit too choppy [low FPS?] to play. Felt like my soldier was moving underwater, kinda slow and clumsy.

Things looked good, but game play was sluggish

On another day, my machine was attacked, and I pulled the plug on the entire Windows installation by booting to OSX and deleting the Win partition. I have since reinstalled Windows, and I've run it so far via Parallels, but I haven't booted to Windows again since.

Like I said, I wanted to try ArmA since reinstalling Windows. I did. It won't run now. Windows throws an error dialog a second or two after I start it, saying "...failed to start because d3dx9_30.dll was not found." Maybe it did that before, and I [probably would have tried to] fix it by installing DirectX again from the MS website. Since this WinXP system isn't allowed on the net yet, that's as far as I got.

..Er, Macs are now *exactly* the same as PC's. Not the slightest bit of difference whatsoever, just the pricetag and ability to run OSX. Therefore not really surprising that you got it to run!

>Macs are now *exactly* the same as PC's. Not the slightest bit of difference whatsoever, just the pricetag and ability to run OSX

Now that's a provocative statement... smile_o.gif

>On another day, my machine was attacked, and I pulled the plug on the entire Windows installation by booting to OSX and deleting the Win partition

A slightly extreme reaction perhaps? (Depending on what form the attack took and what damage it did.) Were you running any form of firewall? If not, well you should have been.

Not provocative, but mostly true. Same hardware and mostly the same software now. Well, kernel anyhow depending on what OS you choose.

The only reason those computers still exist in the marketplace today is because Microsoft keeps them going with cash injections. Otherwise, if Apple folds, MS can be hit with monopoly lawsuits. Sad but true.

I've been running this game on my iMac for a while now, I use Windows Vista on Boot Camp. It runs natively (not in OS X, in Windows).

hey everyone - first post for meh! i'm about to purchase an imac 20" for necessity

2.66GHz Intel Core 2 Duo

NVIDIA 256MB DDR3

2GB (possibly 4gb) DDR3 ram

anyone know if it'd be worth it to purchase arma2? i'd love to rock this game with you gents - let me know, thanks!

frogOR - review the thread date before you post. Review the rules and you'll notice that threads older than 4 months are not to be dug up. ;)

If you want to know about ArmA2 system requirements, I suggest you go to the ArmA2 forums and ask your question there.