Sign in to follow this  
Sand Flea

Countermeasures?

Currently it is nearly impossible to avoid an anti-aircraft missile. It would be fine if they had somewhat realistic flight patterns and tendencies, but clearly they don't. What compounds this problem is that the aircraft don't have any flares. We need flares added in an upcoming patch. And as a side note, the glass is way to vulnerable to small-arms fire.

yep realistic countermeasures would be a blessing... then every mod wouldnt have to include them

Aircraft (airplanes and helicopters) need flares, chaff and a missile warning system and armored vehicles need their smoke screens working and a laser warning system.

I can't see why they are not present especially since they exist in other less realistic games, are not hard to implement and particles are already used for smoke and flare effects.

Can you say Mando Missile System version 2.2 ?

If you cannot now you soon will. smile_o.gif

Again thanks Mandoble for a great mod. Actually its not a mod. Everything is done via script. Thanks!!

If no countermeasures will be added, then MANPADS should at least be made less accurate. Their extreme accuracy is just wrong. Even an SU34 can't avoid them.

Also in 1.07beta it seems they are too powerful and surviving by means of autorotation now seems impossible.

MANPADS were far less accurate in OPF - if I remember correctly you only had a chance of hitting an aircraft by aiming at its rear as it was flying directly away from you... maybe they should bring this back?

MANPADS were far less accurate in OPF - if I remember correctly you only had a chance of hitting an aircraft by aiming at its rear as it was flying directly away from you... maybe they should bring this back?

Something like that would be good. Working countermeasures would be even better though.

Currently it is nearly impossible to avoid an anti-aircraft missile.  It would be fine if they had somewhat realistic flight patterns and tendencies, but clearly they don't.  What compounds this problem is that the aircraft don't have any flares.  We need flares added in an upcoming patch.  And as a side note, the glass is way to vulnerable to small-arms fire.

Not just flare but chaff & electronic C.M to...

Adding Radar, Laser & I.R jamming in the core engine would be just fine...

Also, what would be realy great is that BIS add to his plane & chopper AA radar (Air) & AG radar (Ground) [Radar, IR] in a working M.F.D...

Thermal view for chopper, plane, tank & soldier would be the dream...

After that computer interface for the gunner, in chopper, plane, & tank (to assign target)

Like those simulation made by Jane's & Novalogic...

And top of the top : usefull M.F.D & panel (showing weapons left, radar, engine, warming signal...) [like the Franz & DKMM addons)...

- ground radar

- air radar

- electro-optical system (EOS)

- target acquisition and designation sight (TADS)

- tactical situation display (TSD)

- aircraft survivability equipment (ASE)

- threat warning display (TWD)

- weapon

- system

- engine

- flight (waypoint, map)

- mission (objectif)

PS : I have a question does anyone know what type of radar is in ARMA (the think up the plane & tank cockpit ?), it's I.R, RADAR or BOTH...

PS : I know that addon maker can add those some of those stuff, but official optimized would be better, the original arma unit should handle those tech...

That's just asking for too much. ArmA is not going to turn into a flight simulator, it would be nice but you can't expect 1 game to simulate everything. Accurately simulating a vehicle takes a lot of work.

We just need those stingers and strelas to be less accurate.

Yeah I would also like the AA missiles to be less accurate.. right now it feels really strange when you get hit.. I am yet to see a missile fly past my MH/AH-6 and not hit me... haven't happened once..

I don't think any AA missile in ArmA are radar guided, they are all infrared so only flares would be effective anyway, not chaff or ECM.

It would be cool is if you had a radar paint warning when a shilka radar-painted you.

It would be cool is if you had a radar paint warning when a shilka radar-painted you.

This is called "Threat Warning Display" an normaly it should be on plane & chopper panel...

- RBRK rotor brake engaged

- TRQ engine over torque

- RPM low rotor RPM

- WBRK wheel brake engaged

- AP auto-pilot active

- HVR hover hold active

- RDR radar active

- R JAM radar jammer active

- I JAM infra-red jammer active

They should add it (even with radar, ir & laser marking or locking)

Quote[/b] ]Accurately simulating a vehicle takes a lot of work.

I don't asking BIS to made vehicle (addon maker can do that better than them), but i would like that they update the engine (core) to be able to use those new tech...

Needed core engine enhancement

- M.F.D SHOWING ELECTRONICAL & OPTICAL VIEW (CAM)

- RADAR AA, AG

- LASER, WIRE, IR MARKING

- AA CREW SHOOTING MULTIPLE TARGET AT SAME TIME

- THERMAL VIEW

- BETTER PANEL

- (CHAFF, FLARE, ELECTRONICAL) C.M REACTIVITE AGAINST LOCK & MISSILE

- BETTER PHYSIC & REAL BALLISTIC, OPTIC AT SAME SCALE THAN THE REALITY

- EFFECTIVE JAMMING SYSTEM (LASER, RADAR, IR)

As ViperMaul stated, the Mando Missile System version 2.2 is a top notch counter measure script. And quite impressive to watch!

Yeah, BIS should implement it in a patch so that every mod that comes out doesn't have to make their own. banghead.gif

And really... BIS needs to decide if it is the Army or USMC that is fighting because the UH-60/AH-1Z combo isn't helping. Now we have AH-64's and CH-47's, but no USMC CH-53E's or CH-46's! I saw an Mi-24 Hind that looked spectacular to complement the soviet helicopter fleet though.

would be nice to dump some flares after pulling out of an A10 straferun.. if just for effect biggrin_o.gif

(if you can pull out that is *cough* underpowered)

Guys, guys Frederf is right, you guys are overthinking this.

Even though all aircraft does have version of a RWR (Radar Warning Receiver) it is exactly that. It can only warn against threats that have their radar up and are close enough. And to my knowledge, nothing in armA uses a real Radar to bring down or track air threats.

Also, flares would only help IF you can see or someone tells you of the missile launch, otherwise it would have to be complete 100% lucky guess; because NOTHING can warn you from an Infared missile launch (which is all armA shoots, ____to air missile-wise). That's why you see A-10s and such in real life launching tonnes of flares after they go in hot.

because NOTHING can warn you from an Infared missile launch (which is all armA shoots, ____to air missile-wise).  That's why you see A-10s and such in real life launching tonnes of flares after they go in hot.

The co-pilot can advertise you if I see the incoming missile

I tried to script a counter measures script to try to make the native AA missiles miss a bit. It's very hard to force the damn things to miss, they can turn 180 degrees in ~10m radius at full speed. I could only manage to make them either hit or miss by several hundred meters...

I gave up, hopefully 1.08 missiles will be a little less accurate/agile.

This is maybe the worst gameplay bug so far.

Still present since 1.0 and made even worse in 1.07 where they nearly doubled the damage of Stinger/Strela and kept their ultra maneuverability.

The saddest thing is that it worked very well in OFP, without the need of any countermeasures.

I made a bug report a few weeks ago about this uber accuracy, I ll post the link when the bug tracker is up again.

I don't think that uber-realism is their goal. They probably have the air to air rockets tuned the way they do to counterbalance the insane power of aircraft. I do agree that being missed sometimes as in ofp was good. There were things you could do to fool the missiles in ofp.. like they had a certain minimum range. If they fired at you while you were within that range they wouldn't track you. Has anyone actually tested the hit rate or is this all just impressions people have?

I did test it in the editor 100s of times.

You can NEVER EVER evade Stinger/Strela in a chopper. In the worst case, it will just turn 180° and catch you back.

You can NEVER EVER evade Stinger/Strela in a chopper. In the worst case, it will just turn 180° and catch you back.

Hahahaha!

LOL biggrin_o.gif