Sign in to follow this  
LordHorusNL

8500GT Stutter?

I have a problem with my Nvidia 8500GT when i play arma it seems to play the game smooth but after about 10 seconds the screen/animations of the soldiers begins to stutter, so when i start running in a straight line with my soldier arma will stutter every 3 seconds or so like the soldier stops running for 0.1 seconds and then runs fine for 3 seconds.

This also happens when i move the mouse in freeview, moves smooth and then just jumps to its next position.

This happens in both 1.05 and 1.07 beta on all settings low/high

Here are my specs.

AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core 4600+

2 Gigs Ram

Asus M2N-E SLI Motherboard

3D-club Nvidia 8500GT videocard (PCIe)

DirectX 9.0c

Newest Nvidia forceware drivers (158.22)

Windows XP professional SP2

Anybody heard of this before.

Might have to return the card for one in the same price range, any suggestions?

I dont know... havent read about any 8500GT user experiences with Arma so far.

Im not sure about your problem but if i were you i would try disabling v-sync and setting "render frames ahead" from default 3 to 0.

See if it helps, you might end up returning a perfectly good card because of a minor driver bug or setting.

I have a 8600 GT (sonic) wich uses the same chipset I think and I don't have troubles.

I think that the 8500 GT is just too weak to run Arma, at the same price here in Switzerland you can buy a 7600 GT wich is better.

Sito

Its not youre card, you proved this yourself by saying it happens with ALL graphics settings.

Defrag youre hardrive (properly) and you will most likely see the problem dissapear.

The command prompt program "contig.exe" can be quite usefull as it can make sure that all files within a directory are contiguous.

It may also be worth using something like "smartclose" to close all other programs and unecessary services before running arma, youre antivirus or firewall could cause this problem.

But in my opinion..its youre HD, try to defrag and move youre swapfile away from the os' boot drive if possible.

I've had this too on my Quad SLI 7950 GX2 setup. I'm pretty sure its a refresh rate problem with the monitor. I have a 20in widescreen LCD monitor and running ArmA on 1680x1050 (which is my monitors recommended res) causes this problem. Lowering the res seems to lessen the problem.

Mhhm yes i thought it might be a refresh rate problem with my monitor (samsung syncmaster 710n)

However it did not happen on my old GFX card so i might still return my current card for another type.

What would give me better performance in arma than this 8500GT?

Ok i'm now thinking of just buying an asus 8800GTS 640mb

however with my current settings i only get 1033.12!! on arma mark?huh.gif? (8500GT)

SO! if i my system would look like this how will i be able to play arma? because i'm getting pretty tired of being new hardware and not getting any performance increase mad_o.gif

AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core 4600+

3 Gigs Ram

Asus 8800GTS 640mb (PCIe)

DirectX 9.0c

Ok i'm now thinking of just buying an asus 8800GTS 640mb

^

*Much* better choice really. smile_o.gif

normally 8800 can handle VD range from 2500 to 5000 on high to very high under 1024x768, avg. FPS 40, ARMA mark shows 2000 something

i am using GTS 320MB with 165.01 beta and my perforemce is about that line

Thanks for the comments guys, i was shocked with the numbers i got running armamark on my 8500GT so i want to be sure ill get some nice performance when buying another card in the 8000 series.

That poor performance of the 8500GT did not surprised me.

It`s the low end of the 8000 series, look at the specs of that card and look at the specs of an 8600GT for example. wink_o.gif

dont trust those arma marks. I've seen dudes with twice my score, that have way older system than mine...

Don`t buy low end video cards, when you want performance.

Investigate a little bit before you buy stuff, not every card of the 8000 series is really powerful. wink_o.gif

Thing is my budget was not very big so that why i went for the 8500 however i would have thought it would perform better than my asus n6600 on my old computer but that didnt seem to be the case.

Check this out.

My old computer:

MSI k8 neo platinum 2 motherboard

1 Gigs Ram (kingston value ram pc3200 400)

AMD 64 3200+ processor

Asus N6600 AGP video card

DirectX 9.0c

My new computer:

AMD Athlon 64 X2 AM2 Dual Core 4600+

2 Gigs Ram (MBT) 800 DDR2 (this might be carp?)

3d-club 8500GT

DirectX 9.0c

And not 1% performance increase in ANYTHING! Ok half-life 2 might run just a smidge faster but thats about it. Arma plays worse and my pc doesnt seem to respond faster to anything.

I ran 3Dmark 2006 and got an avarege of 5FPS and in the last 2 tests 0-1 FPS?? and ran sisoftware sandra lite XI and found out my computer just about blows chunks.

I might be a bit pissed off right now tounge2.gif

I ma not sure, but it may be that the VGA card was not an upgrade at all, the 8500 GT is a very very slow and overpriced card. You should have at least got the 8600 or 8800 320 but the 8500 GT is a total waste of dineros smile_o.gif

You should think about investing a bit more money, and buy an 8600GTS.

With that you`ll get the best performance, for the invested money. The 8600GT is cheaper, but weaker too.

8600GT

GPU/DDR : 540/1.180

8600GTS

GPU/DDR : 675/2.000

wink_o.gif

I would just wait on patch 1.08 before buying new system because the patch wil fix about 500 nasty bugs .

Look at my system:

Vista Ultimate 64Bit - QX6700 @ 3.2Ghz 1164Mhz FSB - MSI P965 NEO2 FI Bios 3.3 - 4 GB SDRAM (DDR2-800 DDR2 SDRAM) - MSI NX8800GTX OC - 2 x WDC WD2500KS-00MJB0 ATA - Antec Trio Power 650W

My system crashes on video memory , video texture if i put video options to high in arma.

So should i buy a new system when i only have problems with this game , NO

Just wait on the patch bro it will fix alot.

Also i found this:

Morphicon admitted that there is bug in the German version of Armed Assault which lowers the FPS so much that even the best systems can barely run the game smooth with everything on low details. As this bug doesn't seem to be in other language versions its probably caused by the copy protection Morphicon decided to use (Securom). Morphicon announced that they are currently working on a hotfix to get rid of this problem. So german users should hold on for a few more days...

But i dont know if your german tounge2.gif

HAHA! problem solved i went out yesterday and bought 3GB of Geil Ram and a Asus 8800GTS 640MB now arma runs like a dream. Pretty much all settings on high or very high and viewdistance at about 3800 biggrin_o.gif

A lot of cash but so worth it.

TIP!! never ever buy a 8500 or other silent cooled card.

nvidia series 8 are greate (the 700mo one) but it each time the same thing :

intel does the best proc amd have lower spec

a year after amd proc are the best intel have lower specs ...

same for nvidia and amd ...

just wait for the 1go xt 2900 hd 65micron with good support and drivers

i think it will work better than 8800 ...

My old computer:

MSI k8 neo platinum 2 motherboard

512mo ddr value

sempron 2800+ processor

Asus N6600 pcie

DirectX 9.0c

Newest Nvidia forceware drivers

My new computer:

AMD Athlon 64 X2 AM2 Dual Core 4600+

1 go ocz camo ddr2

Asus M2N32 SLI deluxe with 1004 bios (help a lot with crashes on desktop)

Asus 7950GT 512mo

DirectX 9.0c

Newest Nvidia forceware drivers

1024x768 all settings high when im alone

else all in medium