Sign in to follow this  
Snake Man

PMC WRP Demo islands released!

Managed to make 204 km isle crash flying the su-34 at 8.5 km vd, so flat and barren makes the vd always feel low.

In any case its impressive and performs well.

I dont think an environment of this scale would be playable if it was filled with objects, detailed towns, etc.

It really makes me look forward to things to come

thumbs-up.gif .

I dont think an environment of this scale would be playable if it was filled with objects, detailed towns, etc.

Well, it should because of the streaming engine.

You would have to wait a bit before the island is completly loaded in the editor or the mission though.

Well, it should because of the streaming engine.

You would have to wait a bit before the island is completly loaded in the editor or the mission though.

Loading time nightmare?

I think the streaming is great ingame (playing) but Arma still needs to "know" what is placed where.

How many objects would be needed to decorate such a huge land mass?

We will see how it goes once the official terrain editing tools come

smile_o.gif .

@BIS Leader Programers

I don't understand why we have to load the full map at start first.

Why not loading part as they are needed (only load grid in fact at start), then all other stuff? This mean that some area would never load... untill necessary.

Because these are using the old WRP Format, which does not support the streaming technology (hence the stupidly long load times)

Not really anyones fault, since its essentially "bashing" the old formats into the new engine, and stuff is bound not to work "properly"

Still, the fact remains that filling an island of this scale with objects would take a LOT of time, the only way you could possibly do it if there was an option to import certain areas of a map into a larger one, enabling people to work in one small part each, otherwise it would take years.

Thank you for this,it's like a trip down memory lane.

and thx for your tutorial on the PMC forums got me past that final step i was having trouble with.

BIG_des.jpg

Just a basic terrain with all objects stripped atm,not sure what to do climate wise yet!

Terragen/L3DT,wilbur & wrptool will definatly be getting a hammering this week smile_o.gif

Looking forward to your future updates

BiGGiBs

Very nice to see this kind of big areas complete so well in ArmA biggest OFP island that i had was Uwar_Desert whit 10000km2 so in arma we could get alot of bigger.

Nice huge maps. Now I've got somewhere for seven-day LAN battles.

Daniel @ June 03 2007,15:47)]...I definately can't wait to get my hands on a DEM of the Lake District.

I have seen a program called Memory Map which uses .qct quickchart files for maps, and uses .qed files for the elevation - one of their releases covers the Lake District. Unfortunately the data is Ordnance Survey Crown copyright (who charge a great deal for their data) but at least the files exist on the market. I have no idea how to decode a .qed file. Anquet Maps make a similar product.

It's all very frustrating - if anybody knows of a free database of UK elevation please speak up.

Very nice to see this kind of big areas complete so well in ArmA biggest OFP island that i had was Uwar_Desert whit 10000km2 so in arma we could get alot of bigger.

10000km^2 ?!?!

10000km^2 = 100000000 km

you joaking? huh.gif

10000km^2 ?!?!

10000km^2 = 100000000 km

you joaking? huh.gif

10000km^2 is a 100km x 100km map

I think that you're right that as a tech demo of what is possible it's a good indication. If ArmA can indeed handle massive maps in a playable way, then it makes sense to say that someone will do it smile_o.gif Kudos to you for being the first wink_o.gif

It does look like a lot of work to do though, road, building, garden, fence, wall & hedge layout is going to be a nightmare smile_o.gif looks like what is needed is either a series of jigsaw-like "templates" of urban areas, or some sort of MS-style autogen editor to place down believable objects in the right places.

Anyways, I will be watching this development, I got my own little projects in mind (as I wrote in Frugalswold as DM) so no doubt I will be picking your brains as I get a handle on it all smile_o.gif

Because these are using the old WRP Format, which does not support the streaming technology

What kind of facts you have to back up this claim?

ArmA doesnt support streaming for the OLD wrp format, which you are using for your islands.

When you look at the format, you find its an unsorted object list, how would you go about streaming such data?

Guess what streaming engine means... indeed, the terrain is only loaded as needed

Actually all the elevation data is loaded at start, so ArmA does not have full terrain streaming.

Following from the quote above, how do you know that all the elevation data is loaded at start? Is that for both the old wrp format (which you're using) and the new wrp format? And what facts do you have to support this claim?

DAMN! Me and a friend had a sniper team mission going yesterday..omg I think we ran about 40km all together dogging enemy mechanized infantry patrols to get to our main objectives.

I love the terrain, is so deceiving... one minute you think you're completely safe, the next you're just about to mount a hill when you're faced with a freakin' BMP coming straight at you, and you just run like ****!!

I love it! These types of maps is awesome for people like me who like to navigate across vast amounts of space and really put your map/compass skills to the test biggrin_o.gif

Spotting patrols at several kilometers out, having to estimate where they'll be in the next 20 min, maneuvering around mountains just to avoid contact and all that stuff, it's just amazing! biggrin_o.gif

Ohh and there's no lag too!

yay.gif

WOW! I say again.. WOW! I'll be dl'ing this as soon as I get home. Can't believe I haven't this noticed before. Thanks for pushing the boundaries and understanding of ArmA, even before the tools come out.. Awesomeness.. wow_o.gif

Now all we need (magic wand time) is a converter from USGS and Urban usage maps to place foliage, buildings and roads in a proper manner.. Damn those islands are big!!! notworthy.gif

Does this work with 1.08?

Yes but the CTD issue is still here. No clue what the problem is here. Only happens on the really big islands..

I love the terrain, is so deceiving... one minute you think you're completely safe, the next you're just about to mount a hill when you're faced with a freakin' BMP coming straight at you, and you just run like ****!!

I love it! These types of maps is awesome for people like me who like to navigate across vast amounts of space and really put your map/compass skills to the test

If you're interested of trying this on MP, we could plan a date/time for it?

Yes it works just fine.

Yes but the CTD issue is still here. No clue what the problem is here. Only happens on the really big islands..

I think its because when you fly a Jet the terrain loads too fast causing the crash. Ones the right tools are used (terrain streaming) I bet the maps will work fine.

Like it alot...

Would also like to see som "tweaks" like rebuild the

infrastructure on EVERY island. New citys, new roads

1 airfield/BASE per island or more. I took a harrier and

flew around for like 15min with VD10000. ITS AWSOME.

KEEP WORKING.......PLEASE

notworthy.gif

PS: I was talking about the PMC_aec Island...

The big one yay.gif