Sign in to follow this  
swtx

Microsoft Surface

Watch this video and post your comments below.

(This is some crazy sh*t)

The units are available for $10,000 U.S.

Bill Gates stated the other day that the price will drop considerably over the next few years.

i saw that on G4. that is pretty slick. especially where you can upload and d/l things to mp3 players and memory cards. although i don't know if i would want to use it as a coffee table and put any drinks on it.

for more videos of usage see http://www.microsoft.com/surface/

it's hard to believe it took less than 1 year to this get on retail market since idea was published ...

TED 2006

and even better news several other MAJOR companies are working on theirs versions too ...

so MS is not the only one (competetion = price drops)

IMHO this stuff increases gaming potencial for RTS gamers

(no more need for mouse/keyboard thus benefits both PC and consoles)

and try imagine ArmA editor and realtime editor used with smile_o.gif

Wow

This is the kind of thing that will make computers so much more accessible to people.

Once the price gets hammered down.. this will be quite the revolution.

I was about to say, remember that fictional interactive panel that was used in the movie Minority Report? Looks like (oops, edit) reality keeps up with science fiction quicker then we think.

Guest Ti0n3r

Lame as HELL if you ask me huh.gif

considering there exist already variants able scan fingerprints and it's sensitive to pressure it can be used nearly for anything

from shopping thru design and art to gaming and multimedia manipulation...

try bit more imagination smile_o.gif

This post or the Microsoft tool?

The particular one is not suited for design purposes, as non-standard drawing and modeling will cause RSI pretty fast, you can see how the hand constantly has to be pulled back in order to see what you're doing, also you'd have to be leaning over the table in order to work accurate, which damages your neck and back. The platform would need to be tilted, which then brings in the blood circulation problems of having to keep your arms on an abnormal level for extended periods of time.

Guest Ti0n3r

This post or the Microsoft tool?

Please don't flame... I just stated my opinion for pete's sake

No, this tool. I can't see myself using this, not next year and not in 5 years. This looks just like track IR and similar newer tools to me. Sure, it may work good. But do I need one? No. Can I afford one? No.

The visuals are very obviously Windows Presentation Foundation, and lend to accelerated development very easily. I just started working with it and man is it weird - but this coming from someone who made it as far as GDI+ and never touched DirectX. I have used a tablet-PC that has similar functionality (Asus RF1) and yes, the having your hand in the way seems like it would cause a problem, but it is far more comfortable to use that method (with the stylus) than a mouse. even if it does hamper vision... it is only temporary and the increased movement prevents what I call "mouse arm" where my arm from elbow down feels like a stiff board.

@JdB

I liken it not very different from working at a light-table. Something us in the printing industry work with very often (as might engineers) (Light Tables). AFAIK, no one at our company has had problems working on one of these (and ours are flat and not tilted as in the examples). In fact, it feels good to be on your feet rather than strapped to your desk all day. I think your theory is contridictory of real world examples.

i fully agree that Surface needs lot of improvements but it's definitely step in right direction ... (full integration with OS, optical and IR scanning cameras, Wireless systems etc)

maybe You are aware that Jeff Han develops for military and big corporations solutions which are in all possible angles (vertical, horizontal, sloped etc) ...

in fact i saw somewhere short demo of one vertical multitouch panel used by commanding officers ...

A Microsoft Surface like interface has made it into the latest Tom Clancy RTS. You can check it out right here

First impression: "cool".

Second thought: "It must have a billion usefull applications in military and business environments."

Third: "After all these years of hardly moving my wrist more than two inches on my mouse, I wouldn't want to be waving my hands like that all night long on a screen. That can cause some severe trauma on my puny muscles".