Sign in to follow this  
-Puma-

GPS is useless

like the title says, u can't really do shit with GPS because, it shows

only a small area. I bet modern day gps, would give a broader view of the area, so that u could actually navigate with it.

now that minimap seems to be gone in future patches, BIS could polish the GPS usage, and make it zoomable.

i like the old instead map better, dunno why BI change it through, it used to be a simple overlayer in ofp isnt it?

i also got the impression that the map in regular mode is kind of like the real LWS too(well i got these impression after watch discovery future weaopn ep about the LWS so i maybe talking ballocks)

I think the GPS as it is now is incredibly useful, especially in Aircraft.

However, you might be right inasmuch as it would be realistic to add a 'Zoom In' and 'Zoom Out' button to the unit that would zoom between different levels - like 500% zoom, 250%, 100%, 50%, and 10%.

i'm using GPS in two available modes: toggle and show. Toggling means that you have small gps on left side of screen, but showing is a big GPS on screen' middle.

Actually second option is better for me, it obstruct view only when I want it to, its big and gives me alot information about surroundings.

I can even land a chopper between trees using gps and instruments.

I dont think adding zoom buttons or keys will be faster, maybe in toggle mode, but not in simple show mode.

The zoom is determined by speed I think and I think it gets the job done. Certainly not shit.

Agreed that it's not 'sh*t', but the ability to zoom it out manually would be more than useful. When flying in helos, the GPS is a pain without zoom. Used to press 'esc' and use the option-menu map for times when I needed to see what was going on, now that option is gone (why?).

So I agree that there needs to be a couple key-bindings to zoom the GPS screen in/out.

The GPS is far from useless, alright the grid areas are a bit big, but then to find out your exact location you use the reverse Azimuth technique.

Please dont add the zoom function I only have like 6 Keytings left to assign tings to, that includes double tapping.

I also tink its perfect now, you have a little map of your surrounding area and when you need to see more you use the map.

Its not like the loading time is that big since 1.05

one really important thing about the GPS they need to change or add..

please give us the option to move it around.. i play on a 16:10 disply, and the GPS is like 2inches from the screen's edge, i really find it obstructive and avoide using it.

either make it so it is always on the edge of the screen, or remove it compleatly and give us back the minimap/esc function.

I think its kind of silly to add GPS but make the zoom controlled by speed. i know why they did it, because it would negate the server difficulty setting to not show your position on the map screen. Maybe when im flying ill find it more useful. It would be nice if you could toggle it on or off and move it around the screen and maybe add double click small version (like with the watch, compass etc).

The faster you travel the more you need to look ahead. The GPS is a great tool in situations where it is dangerous to use the original map, such as flying low and fast. You really don't need a zoomed out GPS when you're on feet. Then you just need it for the coordinates and can use the original game map to study all other details.

Can you please show me a screenshot or something of this "GPS" you're talking about?

The only thing in ArmA I know as GPS is the little green tool on map screen when available, showing nothing more than map coordinates.

I assume the thing they are talking about is the one you get when you press CTRL+M, could be right-side CRTL at that.

why do you need a gps? a compass and map works just as well.

Its most useful on servers where your player Icon is disabled on the main map.

yeah thats why you need a compass to read a map...

but tbh soldiers use GPS now don't they?

What's the most useful is the ability to use a blank map, a compass, and your brain to navigate. It never runs out of batteries or gets dropped too hard. It really isn't that hard. You can drop me anywhere in Sahrani with a blank map and a compass and I'll be home for supper. It really isn't that hard and practicing those skills really helps your battlefield awareness, but I digress.

The player-position-on-map is the wussiest feature I know. Honestly.

Military GPSs are not standard issue to regular infantry, and even then they work in numbers most often, not pretty color moving map displays. If BIS gave ArmA players a realistic military GPS, 99% of players (including myself probably, at least right away) would be unable to use it. There's a SSG (US army, deploy sometime in june) in 4IB and he's told me he's seen an army GPS unit and couldn't make heads nor tails of it

A large number of soldiers bring a commercially-available backpacker's GPS with them from home. Again, they have very crude displays with little to no mapping feature.

A full color, mission-equipment-integrated, mapping GPS is:

1. Heavy

2. Expensive

3. Tough on batteries

A realistic GPS would be very appreciated by me and probably a few others. It would be:

1. All text

2. Be able to store and retrieve entered waypoints/routes

3. Do time/speed/distance calculations

4. Be subject to LOS with satellites

5. Have altitude and lat/long errors consistent with real life equip

6. Have a visual NAV mode along the lines of a "virtual highway"

7. Possibly have a breadcrumb trail system

Can you please show me a screenshot or something of this "GPS" you're talking about?

The only thing in ArmA I know as GPS is the little green tool on map screen when available, showing nothing more than map coordinates.

Only Pilots and SF forces carry the GPS.

why do you need a gps? a compass and map works just as well.

Its most useful on servers where your player Icon is disabled on the main map.

thats we're it gets difficult. I can hardly navigate at all without icons on map, and I have to rely on my general knowledge of the island, to see where i am (1 good moment of invetion I got in arma that really got me thinking of what the game is, when I was lost in south sahrani, and no map icons, so I ran to the nearest town, and read the road sign to see wich town im in inlove.gif )

anyways, the esc was really convinient to use and I can't understand why they took it off, so I'm kinda asking could we have zoomable gps, wich is fast to use(i'm really annoyed with the normal map as it blocks my view, and takes ages to load crazy_o.gif )

I find the GPS extremely useful, especially for aircraft navigation and the occasional "where am I" on foot.

I find the GPS extremely useful, especially for aircraft navigation and the occasional "where am I" on foot.

the problem for me is that, i dont understand the coordinates ingame and GPS shows so small portion of the map, that only landmark u can spot is 10 meters of some road. I quess modern army's use gps to quickly navigate, in battlefield, without the need of pulling a 2mx2m map, and compass and figure out where u are.. banghead.gifbanghead.gifbanghead.gif

OKay, picture this. Your in a blackhawk, deep in enemy territory, tons of AA lurking just over the brow of that handy hill that you're creeping along behind, snaking between the trees. Suddenly the mission plan changes, your CO orders you to an alternate destination, giving you only a map reference and informing you that he's placed a marker at the new LZ.

Now, without totally memorising the entire topography of the islands, and given that a half-competent pilot should know at least where he is without the use of a GPS system, how will you plan your new route from where you are now, to the new destination, without at least a cursory glance at a zoomed out map. that's what I used to use the old 'options' map for, however I would be happy to use the GPS instead - but it really needs to be able to at least zoom, preferably move screen-position, and even better be able to pan around. The GPS and the old minimap were great tools to use while flying, as they don't obscure the entire screen. The GPS could be much better than the old 'options' minimap because it doesn't freeze your controls the way that the old minimap did.

When flying low and slow - try using the GPS for routeplanning, lol - no way you can see further than the next ridge at those speeds, thus at the moment the only option is to try using the full-screen map in a very hazardous situation. Hence my agreement with the opinions voiced of needing better facilities, in order to make the GPS useable in helicopters operating within a battlefield environment.

WarWolf @ June 04 2007,10:55)]OKay, picture this. Your in a blackhawk, deep in enemy territory, tons of AA lurking just over the brow of that handy hill that you're creeping along behind, snaking between the trees. Suddenly the mission plan changes, your CO orders you to an alternate destination, giving you only a map reference and informing you that he's placed a marker at the new LZ.

Now, without totally memorising the entire topography of the islands, and given that a half-competent pilot should know at least where he is without the use of a GPS system, how will you plan your new route from where you are now, to the new destination, without at least a cursory glance at a zoomed out map. that's what I used to use the old 'options' map for, however I would be happy to use the GPS instead - but it really needs to be able to at least zoom, preferably move screen-position, and even better be able to pan around. The GPS and the old minimap were great tools to use while flying, as they don't obscure the entire screen. The GPS could be much better than the old 'options' minimap because it doesn't freeze your controls the way that the old minimap did.

When flying low and slow - try using the GPS for routeplanning, lol - no way you can see further than the next ridge at those speeds, thus at the moment the only option is to try using the full-screen map in a very hazardous situation. Hence my agreement with the opinions voiced of needing better facilities, in order to make the GPS useable in helicopters operating within a battlefield environment.

1. Auto-hover, bring out map. You won't crash.

2. Have your human co-pilot plan a route and give vectors.

ok here it is on the concrete:

normal map:

kartta1.jpg

GPS:

kartta2.jpg

like where the hell I'm at???

come on -Puma-, you are not flying only with your eyes on GPS?!

Make an screenshot from cockpit at landscape too wink_o.gif

Guess... modern army has maps, compass too and they don't believe only at electronic stuff. In basic training they should learn a little how to orientate oneself without GPS.