Sign in to follow this  
cl10k

ArmA Modelling Basics

@ June 29 2007,10:52)]Another way would be making a hipoly version and using the program to make the normal map by comparing them.

But for that you'll need a "pro" program to make hipoly version.

How about blender?

Last time I checked it's price was Zero.

@ June 29 2007,10:52)]Another way would be making a hipoly version and using the program to make the normal map by comparing them.

How about blender?

Thanks for the tip, I'm trying it out right now.

Blender seems to be pretty advanced software indeed. And the interface looks promissiong.

@ June 29 2007,13:32)]

How about blender?

Thanks for the tip, I'm trying it out right now.

Blender seems to be pretty advanced software indeed. And the interface looks promissiong.

No i wszystko jasne. wink_o.gif

@ June 29 2007,22:52)]The problem with specular map is: it needs two channels to work!

The texture is 2D, so one channel supplies only information on how the light is applied along one axis.

@Panda[PL]... Thanks for your input. I realize that...

What  I was wondering, is if anyone has attempted to use a Shader IDE for producing specular maps.

In theory, I don't see why we can't define a geometry plane in FX Composer, give the appropriate material properties, specify the normal map (which would have already been produced) and then 'capture' a specular map and then probably 'tweak' it up a bit in Photoshop. I'm sure this is doable. I'm looking into this anyway, but thought I'd ask if anyone new of a method for specular mapping that wasn't as labourous as the 'by hand' that blackjack[VS] detailed. (appreciated btw - will play with that a little - cheers)

Is anyone a Shader guru? (And, by Shaders, I mean HLSL or CgFx shaders)

Normal Mapping is not a concern.

Regarding your question...

@ June 29 2007,22:52)]

Can anyone propose a good method for converting meshes from Oxygen to normal 3D formats? I tried 3DRipper but the models are deformed in the process...

Oxygen doesn't have unwrapping tools, as everyone is aware.

(lol, modding tools I hope...)

The reliable method I use for going from O2 -> Modo/Max/Maya is...

1. p2ms.exe - The output being milkshape files.

2. Import the .ms3d files into LithUnwrap and then export to .obj format.

Is there a way I can set up 3ds max, so i don't have to scale model few times before i get it to the correct size, after its imported to O2, and then to ArmA? Or scale of model is basically trial and error?

If my memory is correct i guess o2 grid is made of 1mX1m squares.

My advise is to draw a simple cube of 1m in o2 then after conversion with p2ms, open it in max. then in max, use the measure (ruler) tool and take note of the cube dimension=X

Then in max grid proprerties, make 1 max grid unit = X .

U can try the oposite method..make 1 unit cube in max(make sure grid settings are set to meters) then export the 3ds (scalling of 1:1). open in o2 and measure the cube. that way u will exactly know what's the scalling factor that max is doing by default.

then everytime u want to export something to o2, just scale it by that value, and voila...

Hope i could hlep, good luck

Modeling is a headache, are there tutorials for starters?

my first simple addon crashes the game after preview!

any help?

I found no problem making RVMATS, so normal maps and specular ones... it's just like configuring in a CPP, but this time in a single file implemented into the model... smile_o.gif

OK here is my question about some LOD's in O2,

1) What is View - Cargo - Geometry? Also, What is the purpose of View - Cargo - Geometry? in Wiki its just blank space without description confused_o.gif

2) Is Geometry lod is jsut a box around an object, for example if i have an object that bends do i drag a box around the whole object or try to follow shape as closely as possible.

3) Is Fire Geometry lod made same way as Geometry Lod? Dragging a box, or i have to follow the shape closely?

OK, getting errors in LOG file when binirazing addon....

Would be glad to fix it but i dont know what is ST?huh.gif

Here is exact error:

"VIEW_GUNNER Error while trying to generate ST for points"

Hey guys.

I've got a question about textures.

Let's say I'm making an infantry pack with 10 models in it. For the most part, they'll be using the same texture - which I've put on a 1024x2048 texture similar to how BI did it.

Now, the 10 models will have some variations on them...some will have more pouches, some berets, etc. Would it be better to map all the different pieces on one 2048x2048 texture? The reason I ask if because I'm not sure if the game will then load only 2 textures when all ten different models are in game, or if it will still load 20 (ie: 2 per model)...

If it saves video card memory to re-use one large texture, I'd rather do it that way. Any help on the subject is greatly appreciated.

Abs

Perhaps my previous post was a little long-winded. Allow me to shorten it:

I have two models: Model A and Model B. I map them to one 2048x2048 texture. When the engine loads both of these models, does it load that 2048x2048 texture twice (once for each model), or once?

Again, thanks in advance.

Abs

Abs i'm not 100%sure of this, but i guess the video card will only call that texture once. This is an hardware subject i guess, so maybe someone who knows this subject can explain us.

I'll go further and ask (i think this subject was discussed earlier) to plp here about this...

Situation A-16models in scene using 16 unique 128x128 textures

Situation B-16models in scene using a common2048x2048 texture.of course that texture is a baked textured of 16 128X128.

Who is the winner? equal? have this doubt for a while...

Thanks for the reply, Blackjack. smile_o.gif

I think I'm going to go with two textures, and just place the different models on one large texture.

Please let me know if you find out any information as to why this isn't the best method, k?

Cheers.

Abs

@ Nov. 18 2007,04:50)]Situation A-16models in scene using 16 unique 128x128 textures

Situation B-16models in scene using a common2048x2048 texture.of course that texture is a baked textured of 16 128X128.

Who is the winner? equal? have this doubt for a while...

Well, it's like this:

1) on v high settings:

Situation A - 16x 128^2 textures.

Situation B - 1x 2048^2.

2) on High settings:

A = 16x 128^2 tex

B = 1x 1024^2 tex

3) medium settings

A = 16x 128^2 tex

B = 1x 512^2 tex

You catch my drift? The texture settings in ArmA affect the top possible texture size, so in case A the resolution will not be changed (and thus it is less friendly for medium/low end PCs).

Situation B seems to put less strain in the moment the texture is loaded. It takes less time to load if there are few big textures and the difference is visible when object first appears.

However, from what I see BIS didn't bother to merge textures for buildings, so it can be less meaningfull for map objects/static objects.

Quote[/b] ]Abs i'm not 100%sure of this, but i guess the video card will only call that texture once.
This is correct and it's testable - pick up two weapons from crate that are using same textures, the loading time for second one is shorter.

Thanks for taking the time to respond, Panda. smile_o.gif

I'm definitely going to stick to a minimal number of textures for the pack.

Abs

hi,

I'm having problems with my building model in game, which I assume is connected with the geometry.

It is a large building, but basic and is about 55x55,.. though I have tried making it much smaller so its not a size issue.

Anyway, what happens is that when you stand on it and run, you keep sliding about 10 metres across the ground after you let the key go. It does not matter which direction you ran, you keep sliding along at the same angle.  

Vehicles seem to slide less, which would suggest it something about weights?  

I ran a search and the only thing I found was about a plane which was sliding, because it was too light.  I have tried changing the weight from 50 to 70,000 and it makes no difference.  

Everything is covex and closed and I am certain the area is flat because I have even re-layed it two times.  

The area is a large square about 35-40 wide, however I have tried cutting it down into four different ones and even  tried cutting down the entire model to 20x20 but none of it has made any difference.

If anyone has any suggestion, I would really appreciate it as its starting to become very frustrating.. and I don't really have any ideas on what to try left. help.gif

Do you have a RoadWay LOD in which you have a upwards facing single plane that represents the actual floor the soldiers or vehicles would drive on ?

This face typically sits a fraction above a GEO LOD mass that you may be using as the "floor".

Edit: Thanks very much for the help Gnat, that was the problem smile_o.gif

And the BI water tower did have one, so I guess I must of missed it.

xmas_o.gif

hope this is the right place to ask this...

I only just started modeling in 02 and I'm really sarting to get the hang of it, but I got a problem and I can't seem to find the solution anywhere, lots of related stuff but not exactly what I need so heres my question:

when I use the creat box to make the box model I can easily add textures to it, but when I make a box by myself, puting in the indiviual points and making the faces, I apply the textures exactly as I did the first box, but when I preview it th texture is only some random blured color, what am I doing wrong?

That sounds rather odd.

How are you adding a face to your points? Selecting 4 point that are IN THE SAME PLANE and pressing F6 ?

Just in case ... a simple version of one way you should be applying textures.

- Select 4 points only that form a face (that are in the same plane)

- Make sure 1 face is selected (it says down bottom of window)

- Use the view that you can see the whole face (not side on)

- press A and with the mouse click above the top left corner of the face and drag a window pas the bottom right corner

- right click within this "highlighted" area and select Load Texture"

- select your texture file

- press M to map the texture to the face

- right-click the texture area again and select "Unload texture"

- press A again and your done.

There should be no reason that face should now have a distorted texture.

I think something goes wrong when I try to map the texture, if I understood this right the texture should be seen in the texture list to the right and instead of the screen saying, texture: (null) its should get me the texture name instead of the null, but none of that happens