Sign in to follow this  
Jambo107

Conclusions of the dissappointed thread

After numerous people arguing for and against arma in the dissappointed thread I'm started this one to help BIS. Its a summary of what was said purely about the game.

NO OPINIONS FROM EITHER CAMP

If anyone does post an opinon then either close/lock this thread or delete there post.

Please feel free to add anything I may have missed.

Improved Ai In both Pathfinding, combat and CQB.

Reduce the Cheating CPU Ai The ai can see through bushes, are all crackshots with every weapon and can spot your in the dark even without night vision - A reduction in Ai accuracy, hearing, perception would go a long way. In real life thousands of rounds can be expended before it hits it target, in Arma it only takes a dozen shots before the battle is over

Team Ai The ai needs to use its roles better (eg machinegunners providing covering fire / suppression) Snipers acting a snipers. Team Ai needs to take cover, flank, skirmish/bounding overwatch, Retreat/Regroup, Fallback. At the moment at every shot they hit the ground where they stand, not seeking cover.

Broken Ai Pathfinding, RPGs shooting at infantry, gunships can't target ground units properly, harriers the same etc.

Close Combat Ai Ai dosen't use buildings or urban cover very well at all. They don't hide behind low walls or walls for that matter. They get stuck in buildings, spin in circles. The ai needs to use windows/roof tops etc In urban combat they should be a greater use of taking cover by droping to there knee in or around urban cover oppossed to going prone all the time.

Graphics Issues LOD and Texture issues are ongoing and need to be fixed ASAP.

The HDR issues are frequenet an option to turn it off needs to be impleneted however difficult it maybe it is killing performance of so many different computers.

CTD's need to resolved ASAP It's killing multiplayer.

Tracers are poor, Damage textures are poor (rusty wheels after being shot at?)

Performance Issues The map is to large and Northen end is completely unplayable for many many people. Suggestions have been to reduce the detail of trees and foilage (especially bushes & grass) or (and evidence can seen with Saharni Lite) Cut the map in Halve and present it as to two seprate 'islands' or terrains (At the very least for map editiors)

Streaming of data needs to be dramatically improvded.

Sound The sound is weak in almost all areas, Voice acting, radio's, weapons - these need to improvded.

Animations Alot of work needs to be done here to blend animations properly, to create new animatons for doors/getting in or out of vehicles. Animations transactions between being killed and last played animation greatly need improving (Kill a AT man in firing postion and you'll see what I mean) I'd even go as far as to suggest using an open source physics engine to implenet some really simple kind of ragdoll.

Reloading, changing weapons, running, walking while in firepostion need overhauling. (check out santacurys OPF animation pack for examples)

Gameplay Weapon ranging/accuracy & dispersion needs improving a great deal to the same level Flashpoint had. Localised hit damage (being shot in the arm should disable not kill me) Working body armour, Tanks need adjusting to the real life counter parts.

Multiplayer Not enough BIS/Publisher supported servers.

Again post if I've missed anything but no opinons

NO OPINIONS FROM EITHER CAMP

Impossible, some of those things are either completely wrong, done on purpose by BI, impossible, already in or quite ridiculous.

(Although the listed problems are more or less correct, there is a flaw in almost all your descriptions)

Sorry to point that, but to me this thread is oxymoronic at best, being that most of what's in you list is an opinion and not facts as you state it.

LOD and texture bugs are facts, but everything else listed with an adjective like "improved/better/bad" is based on your own perception.

You find most sounds bad ? I don't, but then again I've never (and probably never will) heard a real javelin firing.

You find animations bad ? I think they do the job most of the time.

Weapon accuracy/precision ? I think it's nice as it is. I'm no wanabe soldier, it's just a game not a military simulator like VBS. I enjoy it for the tactical aspect and freedom of action.

etc...

See what I mean ? Yes, everything can be improved, for sure. Screw ragdoll for instance, go virtual mocap like naturalmotion's morpheme for instance...

That's the only thing that can be said, I believe.

Oops, I think that was an opinion. Nothing personal, but one should better close this thread.

A better use would be to create a poll with all the topics you listed so that at least you have a ranking of preferences between opinions.

Please reframe from posting your opinon as this not the purpose of this thread. Its purpose is to collect what has been generally said in the complaints thread and list it here. Note I'm not presenting these as facts, I'm listing a clear idea of how some people feel could make the game better and I'm listing major game stopping bugs common to alot of people.

If you wish to argue to the point of the complaints / suggestions / grivences - Please feel free to in either aanother thread or using Private messaging

It'd be nice to see a conclusion thread of the good points so they can weighed against whats in here and the other thread.

While I understand and appreciate your good intent in starting this thread, and with all due respect, it seems a bit condecending to infer that BIS aren't able to filter the bullshit for themselves and draw their own conclusions from the "disapointed thread".

Plus I have a strange feeling that the "disapointed thread" is far from concluded sad_o.gif

Jambo107 thank you, I think you have done a good job concisely listing many peoples concerns with ArmA. I also find it a bit dissapointing that you are immediately flamed by fanboys. You obviously care about this game or you wouldn't have gone to this effort.

I appreciate the fact that you read thru the posts and made a summary.

I think as long as you keep the summary objective, without emotional attachment, and up-to-date it will be quite beneficial to BIS IMHO.

Keep up the good work Jambo.

Awwww....

Whoever said the streamming was the source of performance issues, I'm afraid is wrong. Well, I think he is. What is the source for this statement?

It's one of the major advance since OFP. At least now, helicopters have some meaning in game.

For support on animations issues, see here : http://bugs.armed-assault.net/view.php?id=2053, and vote for it

(BTW you are facing a company that reads your input, BTS is one of the tool to do it, use it wink_o.gif Not all company do that, we can at least give them (and BTS creators/maintainers) credit for it. Now ofc, what they do with our input can still be labelled as bad work tounge2.gif )

From what I read in the Complaints thread it was main cause behind the LoD / Texture flickering. Is there any conclusive tests to prove that? If not I can remove it but the LOD issue is a big problem.

The best to to inform BIS of these issues is simply to report them as bugs on BTS.

I'm closing this thread before it becomes a carbon copy of the negativity-thread.