Sign in to follow this  
ThePredator

Realistic Tracers

I found that the performance issue is back again. The tracers disappear at lower FPS (under 20) so the only capping I could do was in .1 acctime.  I found that this performance bug was related to the parameters in the script and not a performance bug. I had the original tracers running while frapping at 7-8 FPS consistently before all the modding began.

The tracer itself is looking rather good. A little long. But much better. It needs to be a little shorter, a wee bit brighter and have more drag. Arc seemed to make it more realistic imo.

For those who want to see the tracer on YouTube: I could not FRAPS on my super computer no matter what video settings or detail levels I turned down (other than slow-mo):

AWESOMENESS! ARMA TRACERS!

Edit: Reducing the view distance to 1200meters and lowering object detail to Normal kept the FPS at/above 25FPS for the demo mission in the Beta4. Watching the tracers without night vision is awesome.

In ver. 1.05 no infantry had tracers. Only vehicles. Running in the latest 1.07 Beta w/Cent Tracers fixed that issue. There is a definite performance hit though.

Question: When you use the game logic to launch cent tracers (1.15 6th) the old tracers had no problem running in a low FPS environment along side BIS tracers. Could you try to figure out why the new ones do?

All in all, outstanding.  yay.gif

Wooohaaaa!!! yay.gif

Man sickboy!!!!! inlove.gif

AWESOME Job!! Thumb up thumbs-up.gif

Look's 1000 times better then bevore.

im sorry if this has been asked already but iv skimmed through this thread and didnt see it, is there a way to get these tracers workin in MP or the original SP missions?

I dont get it, arent tracers real bullets ? That behave like other bullets.

I didnt try the last betas but from what I read it seems that you make tracers having different trajectories than normal bullets.

Thanks mates! I'm happy you guys are excited as I am smile_o.gif

ArmAVids - Big thanks for the Vid, please read my post above thePredator to read my ideas about the performance, what I really need is the current effect we have but then as 1 particle instead of many of them to create the line smile_o.gif

I wanted to add to it, that I need to do some tests with the waitUntil{!alive _projectile} part, as it seems that that causes the tracers not to show up at times (too many instances running prolly, though this was not a problem with the lightballs).

Btw, 1.05 was untested, 1.07's fine and since the 1.08 will soon be here I guess... it shouldn't be too problematic smile_o.gif

Could you do some more vids somehow? biggrin_o.gif (Without NVG they rock too biggrin_o.gif)

DarthRazorback:

That ReadMe part is the changelog between cent_tracers and my optimized version, all you need is simply the few ways of implementation.

Still you are right, I am not a ReadMe writer and I find it especially hard to write it in a level where it is understandable for all, I guess it's no problem as there should be enough ppl around that actually CAN do this, all raise hands ... welcome.gif

Quote[/b] ]I dont get it, arent tracers real bullets ? That behave like other bullets.

I didnt try the last betas but from what I read it seems that you make tracers having different trajectories than normal bullets.

AFAIK, a tracer round is fosfor on a bullet. It ignites when coming out of the barrel and since it's 'on' the bullet it should travel far with it. I think Simba means that the Tracers stop burning earlier possibly? I could really use some proven facts on these parts smile_o.gif

CPUforbrain:

I sen't thePredator details on how to add the tracers inside a config-mod, if he doesn't release anything in the next days i'll see if I find some time to set it up biggrin_o.gif

this is one hell of a sick job you have done sickboy!!! yay.gif

Well the previous video didnt show much i hope that someone will add a video in daylight and in dark so we could easily spot the real thing.

Something like the VBS2 trailer so we can compare.

smile_o.gif

It is a waste of time to add tracer WIP to a config mod as long as there are performance drops and somesuch issues.

And starting a config mod before 1.08 has been released is waste of time, too.

The whole cfg stuff is dependand on the vanilla config, so I can't predict changes to the config classes. With 500+ fixes/changes, I bet there are new things to consider.

It is a waste of time to add tracer WIP to a config mod as long as there are performance drops and somesuch issues.

And starting a config mod before 1.08 has been released is waste of time, too.

The whole cfg stuff is dependand on the vanilla config, so I can't predict changes to the config classes. With 500+ fixes/changes, I bet there are new things to consider.

The CENT_Tracer addon is a mini-config mod on it's own. We could simply add the units and vehicles inside and do the eventhandler stuff and voila smile_o.gif

Still you are right... though I believe that in a mini-config-mod it's not too problematic to accommodate for the changes from 1.07beta to 1.08 (as it's 500 changes/fixes/features since 1.05 biggrin_o.gif).

No worries, i'm sure we can optimize the effects in the next days and at the very least i'll update the cent_Tracer config for including the tracers etc :P

Recorded videos taken off-line, new tracer test shoot will follow.

These are very good, a very nice evolution of Cent's work. The only suggestion I could make it to perhaps make them a little bit thinner, though I also do believe this can be done by the mission maker, ya?

Nice job Sick!

right now it looks like GRAW tracers, but one good thing about ArmA is that it is config able smile_o.gif

@Cameron, ty mate.... am working on different variants that will reduce the lag significantly, I just hope we can get the same-like effects as we have now.

right now it looks like GRAW tracers, but one good thing about ArmA is that it is config able smile_o.gif

Try to check the earlier posted pics and videos of REAL tracers, then you will prolly agree with me that we're very very close and tracers really do look like lasers smile_o.gif

Try to check the earlier posted pics and videos of REAL tracers, then you will prolly agree with me that we're very very close and tracers really do look like lasers smile_o.gif

i know how the tracers looks like, i see them b4 smile_o.gif

and GRAW tracers are not too bad too, just a bit too.....thick

The current problem is the particle system. If the tracers are correct in size, only the shooter and bystanders really close to the muzzle will see the tracers. You can clearly see single particles drop now and then.

Increasing the thickness will give you the dreaded light sabre and we don't have any permission from Lucas Arts Ltd whistle.gif

So what we actually need is some model for the tracer, a lengthend line.

There is still much to do, but I have no doubt sickboy will work this out. If performance and look are top notch, the config changes I made will give specific tracer ratios and sizes to each type of ammunition, so the script can use those values instead of user generated values.

It's all about realism after all biggrin_o.gif

agreed, but we might need proper tools to do that? no need to rust things, as long as the game still needs fix

Might be possible to use tracer.p3d by BN880 (with his permission)?

Thanks mates! I'm happy you guys are excited as I am smile_o.gif

ArmAVids - Big thanks for the Vid, please read my post above thePredator to read my ideas about the performance, what I really need is the current effect we have but then as 1 particle instead of many of them to create the line smile_o.gif

I wanted to add to it, that I need to do some tests with the waitUntil{!alive _projectile} part, as it seems that that causes the tracers not to show up at times (too many instances running prolly, though this was not a problem with the lightballs).

Btw, 1.05 was untested, 1.07's fine and since the 1.08 will soon be here I guess... it shouldn't be too problematic smile_o.gif

Could you do some more vids somehow? biggrin_o.gif (Without NVG they rock too biggrin_o.gif)

No problem. After messing with these Beta4's for a bit and adjusting "my PC" for the setting (night and many infantry) I found the sweet spot for FPS so playing was awesome.

I had to make a vid better than the previous one! Here's some entertainment for you fellas with the Beta4's.

<span style='color:blue'>On YouTube</span>Awesomeness! ARMA TRACERS

<span style='color:blue'>Full Res Download</span>AWESOMENESS! ArmA Tracers Beta4's

pistols.gif

ARMAVIDZ

Thanks ArmA Dude! Wicked Video!!! Really Cool.

I see btw that I have the M240 colors setup wrong (yellow instead of red :P).

About BN880's tracers; I have full permission to do anything I like with them. But I did not get any results that were near the current ones smile_o.gif

Also, Garlay who also did the M14 SopMods's for 6thSenseMod, is working on tracer models for me now, tonight when i'm home i'm gonna look what he did for me and see how that works out in game biggrin_o.gif

thanks for the reply.

Awesome work, I hope to have really tracers soon.

They seems better in version 3 than in fourth (for me)

@ArmAVidz: With thinner tracers this would look perfect, but I encountered some problems with that.

You could at least use some decent weapons sounds in those videos biggrin_o.gif

Go into the cent_tracer_fired.sqs and change the tracer size to 0.03 for small arms and 0.05 for MBT weapons.

Go into the cent_tracer_fired.sqs and change the tracer size to 0.03 for small arms and 0.05 for MBT weapons.

0,05 for MBT's??? Don't you mean the MG setting, (the first one at the top?)

BTW, 0.03 small and 0.05 mg did give nice results in:

- At night

- At Night+Nightvision

But at day time etc they were too thin to properly follow if im not mistaken?

How about try the middle settings biggrin_o.gif

0.05 Small Arms

0.08 MG

0.15 MBT

biggrin_o.gif

@ArmAVidz: With thinner tracers this would look perfect, but I encountered some problems with that.

You could at least use some decent weapons sounds in those videos biggrin_o.gif

LOL I've been shooting a Saving Private ArmA scene and between your awesomeness ModWar sound pack, the 1.07 Beta, my newb hat and all the addons I got in, I'm finding the assortment of "goodies" conflicting.

Next one I'll put the hammer down with the Modwar Soundpack and Cent Tracer  biggrin_o.gif

With the tracer size, I know, but when you're shooting these vidz often times (for effect only in video) many things need to be adjusted for it to come through in video form.  crazy_o.gif  

Seriously though, these tracers are better than ever. It's like freakin Christmas for me man! Okay, now off to work!

goodnight.gif

Yup couldnt agree more here with whats been said. I threw together a quick a COOP Hold the Base mission last nite in about 30mins for me and a few lads on our Teamspeak channel and using the new Sound Mod and the Tracers really did make our game time extremely enjoyable indeed.

Hats off to those responsible for providing us with great additions to the game. notworthy.gif