Sign in to follow this  
W0lle

ArmA is just ... disappointing

Hi, i've seen this serie of 4 videos showing the VBS2 and i just can't

find a reason by BIS to don't add part of the content, to the ArmA:

For example, those tracers, the sights and moving slide of that Glock

17, the weapon sounds, the bullets piercing through slim/soft materials,

the aparently good performance... and some of the Editor options,

like that cycle command, waypoint or whatever.

The only reason that i can find, for BIS don't giving this content

to us, is that the VBS2 costs 1802$ and the ArmA 49'65€.

Is very very sad for me see the difference in what looks like almost

the same engine. We bought a caped game and we don't knew it.

Let's C ya

the VBS2 vs ArmA talk really get too old i think, aint there something newer? goodnight.gif

Well I just gave up Armed Assault. As a former OFP fan I am very disappointed about the current state of ArmA. I don't even know where to start complaining. But here's a try:

-The sound effects suck. They sucked in OFP and they have used exactly the the same sound effect.\s which in 2007 suck even more.

-The A.I. or horrible dumb (mostly in case of your teammates) or insanely clever (mostly in case of opfor).

-Voices while better then in OFP sound stil mechanical

-Dull storyline (who gives a fuck about sagrani?) even worse the island layout is almost identical to to OFP.

-Stupid unrealistic 'lone wolf missions'.

-Overall the gameplay feels overly mechanical and immersion is hampered by unrealistic soundeffect, dull mechanic voices, stupid uninspiring storyline.

-It's a Windows only title no Mac or Linux. Come on it's 2007 for crying out lout.

Fortunately there is a light at the end of the tunnel and it's called: Combat Mission: Shock Force

http://www.battlefront.com/products/cmsf/index.html

I can't wait to sell ArmA to some poor sucker in order to finance this game.

sorry to say, but CM:SF is a round based tartical game(which have no trigger happy finger in it)

Hi, i've seen this serie of 4 videos showing the VBS2 and i just can't

find a reason by BIS to don't add part of the content, to the ArmA:

For example, those tracers, the sights and moving slide of that Glock

17, the weapon sounds, the bullets piercing through slim/soft materials,

the aparently good performance... and some of the Editor options,

like that cycle command, waypoint or whatever.

The only reason that i can find, for BIS don't giving this content

to us, is that the VBS2 costs 1802$ and the ArmA 49'65€.

Is very very sad for me see the difference in what looks like almost

the same engine. We bought a caped game and we don't knew it.

Let's C ya

OMG seeing that vid really pissed me off crazy_o.gif. That does it I am going to sell my game. There is absolutely no reason at all why bis is denying us some features of VBS2.

VBS2 implements features casual gamers don't want or need. Like After Action Report for example. And recording simulation sessions for reviewing purposes.

However there are features we casual gamers do want. Like proper realistic sound effect instead of the recycled garbage from OFP. Motion caption movement instead of these mindless zombies in your squad.

And what up with the price? An increase of 1800%?! Are they nuts??? banghead.gif The best tanksim (Steel Beasts Professional) in the market in use by several armies costs only $125.

Update

Tried to sell ArmA but the price offered was to low. I guess I just put this game away and install it again in a year or so to see how it has (or hasn't) evolved.

well to be honest it just is

vehicle control is harder aircraft control even with the 1.07 path (wich improves it ) is really hard i keep crashing with a chooper even on the most basic turns when i use the mouse to turn need a combo of keyboard and mouse to get it done and altough infantry path finding is improved vehicle path finding especially in cities bridges etc' is worse or at least the same as ofp without patches and fixes (original ofp  ) the campaign is really hard even in regular mode and aiming is terrible as an ex solider i can definetly say its easier to aim in real life with one hand behind my back then it is in this game i find myself not using the sites and just use the cursor to aim a rifle doesnt jerk that much in the hands of an experienced solider and thats what this guys are supposed to be

not to mention special forces wich sould be tweaked to be better marksmen then regular ones i knew a SF guy who could shot a target from 300 meters with spaces of 2-4 CM between hits in less the 20 seconds in a a target not larger then 50 CM beutiful (i saw him do it) they are higly trained operatives not just guys with guns and this is not reflected in the game

if you tweak those i can even deal with the mechanical voices that sound like you are talking to arnold shwartsenager in terminator

i was expecting a hell of alot more then a preaty game

they adressed some issues and made some even worse

I started thinking that EDGE rating of a 5 out of 10 was right. If only I listened and didn't pay attention only the positive reviews.

ArmA is developped by Bohemia Interactive (Czech)

VBS2 is developped by Bohemia Interactive Australia

A guess:

BIA takes the ArmA engine in license from BI. In the VBS2 fork it's probably allowed to take ArmA features, but it's only 1 way traffic; BIA can take parts of ArmA as it has the engine in License, but the other way around it's of course not done smile_o.gif

Possible reasons why ArmA can't be like VBS2:

[*] VBS2 Probably has a huge budget

[*] BIA is a software company that creates professional software for professional usage. Not a software company that create games for the Consumer market. The market is different, the wishes are different, the 'power' of the company is a lot different.

Possible reasons why VBS2 isn't € 129,= like some of the best Simulation GAMES:

[*] Because VBS2 is a broader simulation software

- There are many games that specifically simulate Tanks, or Choppers, or Cars, or Boats... Or ...,  none of them include the massive list of VBS2

- Probably because many other reasons that escape my imagination smile_o.gif

Why can't VBS2 features simply be ported from VBS2 to ArmA, if BIA already made those features for VBS2??

[*] Probably because the VBS2 features were built by BIA, a seperate company, maybe even pre-funded by the Military. The guess is that they are not allowed to include stuff from VBS2, unless taken in License.

ArmA has many bugs altough they are being worked upon. VBS2 will probably not have those problems as it is/was derrived from the ArmA engine and developped upon for the Professional Software Market with larger budget.

ArmA was simply released in it's pre-release state due to money problems at the Developpers.

ArmA, just as VBS2 gets updated along the way, bugs are squashed, features are added... though at VBS2 you will need to pay for these while with ArmA you receive them for free.

ArmA already came a long way in amounts of fixed bugs, added features, changed features (for instance the aiming was horrible for CQB in 1.01/1.02 and they changed it to a different handling system). If you have too many problems right now, maybe check back at one of the upcoming patches.

BIA is probably a lot more powerful than BI, which translates in Development Time of the Software, Updates, Expansions,  Size of Manual etc. etc.

changed features (for instance the aiming was horrible for CQB in 1.01/1.02 and they changed it to a different handling system).

This was the most stupid change ever.

The aiming till 1.04 was 1:1 OFP style, and No1 had any problems with it.

Only a bunch of guys with Track IR had this "pink dream" of an bullshit acrade CQB aiming. mad_o.gif

http://www.myvideo.de/watch/1130390

band.gif

WTF? i have been playing FPS for far too long and TBH the ofp style aiming have created far more problem i have in ArmA 1.05, with/without TIR(and the video are trying to compare an MG to AR.......TBH which part of the 2 different kind of weapon are the same?) mad_o.gif

Your problem was the stupid overpowered recoil and the not very sharpe sight.

Recoil has an effect on the whole overbody, so the head never stands still while you shooting, even with such tiny recoil of a AK74 or M4.

But what do we have now? .. 0.00% effect on the body while shooting the gun, stupid arcade crap. banghead.gif

A soldier would never hit anything if he would hold his gun like a ArmA soldier does it now.

Your problem was the stupid overpowered recoil and the not very sharpe sight.

Recoil has an effect on the whole overbody, so the head never stands still while you shooting, even with such tiny recoil of a AK74 or M4.

But what do we have now? .. 0.00% effect on the body while shooting the gun, stupid arcade crap.  banghead.gif

At least you can now use the iron sights when moving, it may not be really accurate but its better then shaking your face all over the place.

yep the M4 recoil is rubbish, but i think atless they did the SAW and the MG just right

At least you can now use the iron sights when moving, it may not be really accurate but its better then shaking your face all over the place.

OMG ... goodnight.gif

Thats bu****** ,.. well however ... BI plz add an alternative option to lock the weapons sight view so it is like in OFP.

For those who like this more .... we had it for more than 6 years.

well from what i saw for the past 10 years, i am sorry i have to say:

"One country, Two system" simply doesnt work.

We speak about a game, not about country, wise boy.

I'm really loving the game and I have faith that most of the troubles will be addressed but here are my pet peeves...

Most of the sounds are okay but the one that makes me want to pull my hair out is the sound of the jets. Who on Earth thought they could get away with using the sound of a vacuum cleaner as the sound of a modern jet aircraft?!

Voice sounds are very sloppy. They're jerky and robotic and in my opinion are far worse than OFP. Like for instance they took shortcuts with things like "2, watch...at four o'clock." They've re-used that bit when saying something like "2, take that...rifle from...helicopter...at at four o'clock. Jerky, broken speech made worse by the double 'at'.

Re-arming/refueling is a totally frustrating abortion of an operation. I've actually lost ammo while trying to rearm. If you run out of ammo, you're vehicle is completely useless because you cannot re-arm. Also, if you use up a magazine of ammo in a vehicle like M2 hummer, then you'll fill up on the ammo in current mag but never get those lost clips back. Sometimes you drive a fuel truck for 25 minutes to reach the empty vehicle and....it REFUSES to refuel. (even if repaired)

AI doing stupid things - like not getting in choppers. They're complete idiots if you issue them a sidearm (they won't use the primary weapon half the time and refuse to stand up or move or do anything until you literally dump ALL their kit and re-issue their primary weapon WITHOUT the sidearm). The not-holding fire bug is a biggie here too. My AT soldiers are nothing more than pack-mules carrying my AT ammunition and launcher. I keep them FAR away from any possibility of doing anything stupid like even spotting an enemy unit. When I see something worthy of being AT'd, I go to the map/group, dump his ammo, pick it up myself and do the job. All for fear he'll either go Rambo and disobey my orders to hold fire or he'll simply use the precious ammunition on infantrymen running away at 500m.

I'm really enjoying the choppers but it still drives me nuts that machines like the littlebird and even the cobra have such pathetically slow pedal response. A helo like the littlebird should be able to spin on a dime when in a hover. Also, the choppers, when moving relatively slowly (like 60-80km/h) have zero ability to keep the nose pointed in a direction other than the direction of motion. This makes rudder corrections whilst on FFAR attacks almost futile when moving at more than 20km/h because you simply cannot correct your aim with rudder input.

Having ranted a bit here I must say that aside from any BS, this game has me hooked and I'll be patient to wait for fixes.

I'm really loving the game and I have faith that most of the troubles will be addressed but here are my pet peeves...

Most of the sounds are okay but the one that makes me want to pull my hair out is the sound of the jets. Who on Earth thought they could get away with using the sound of a vacuum cleaner as the sound of a modern jet aircraft?!

Voice sounds are very sloppy. They're jerky and robotic and in my opinion are far worse than OFP. Like for instance they took shortcuts with things like "2, watch...at four o'clock." They've re-used that bit when saying something like "2, take that...rifle from...helicopter...at at four o'clock. Jerky, broken speech made worse by the double 'at'.

Re-arming/refueling is a totally frustrating abortion of an operation. I've actually lost ammo while trying to rearm. If you run out of ammo, you're vehicle is completely useless because you cannot re-arm. Also, if you use up a magazine of ammo in a vehicle like M2 hummer, then you'll fill up on the ammo in current mag but never get those lost clips back. Sometimes you drive a fuel truck for 25 minutes to reach the empty vehicle and....it REFUSES to refuel. (even if repaired)

AI doing stupid things - like not getting in choppers. They're complete idiots if you issue them a sidearm (they won't use the primary weapon half the time and refuse to stand up or move or do anything until you literally dump ALL their kit and re-issue their primary weapon WITHOUT the sidearm). The not-holding fire bug is a biggie here too. My AT soldiers are nothing more than pack-mules carrying my AT ammunition and launcher. I keep them FAR away from any possibility of doing anything stupid like even spotting an enemy unit. When I see something worthy of being AT'd, I go to the map/group, dump his ammo, pick it up myself and do the job. All for fear he'll either go Rambo and disobey my orders to hold fire or he'll simply use the precious ammunition on infantrymen running away at 500m.

I'm really enjoying the choppers but it still drives me nuts that machines like the littlebird and even the cobra have such pathetically slow pedal response. A helo like the littlebird should be able to spin on a dime when in a hover. Also, the choppers, when moving relatively slowly (like 60-80km/h) have zero ability to keep the nose pointed in a direction other than the direction of motion. This makes rudder corrections whilst on FFAR attacks almost futile when moving at more than 20km/h because you simply cannot correct your aim with rudder input.

Having ranted a bit here I must say that aside from any BS, this game has me hooked and I'll be patient to wait for fixes.

the voice acting are simply crap, now this is one thing that i want it to go back to OFP days icon_rolleyes.gif

Quote[/b] ]My AT soldiers are nothing more than pack-mules carrying my AT ammunition and launcher. I keep them FAR away from any possibility of doing anything stupid like even spotting an enemy unit.

You forgot to mention the times an AT decides to fire a rocket on an enemy soldier and ends up by killing half of his own squad because he didn't see there was a small elevation between him and the enemy soldier biggrin_o.gif

Well... not really disappointed, but I still can't find a shop in Holland that sells ARMA! confused_o.gif

[offtopic]

Hi,

Order ArmA smile_o.gif

[/offtopic]

As for topic, only two points makes ArmA bit of letdown:

- Overal Performance

- Campaign

But it is still a very good multiplayer game for long co-op sessions and many mods will make their arrival. smile_o.gif

oooo i found one more think not improved since OFP

weapons now have geometry, so with long rifle you cannot turn in small corridor - okay, super

but also if i shoot from 12.7 mm M107 in the AK or M16 it should destroy this rifle

if 2 shots in kneel or arm can kill why 12.7 mm cannot make rifle nonfunctional

mines are indestructible - nonsense, but destructible guns could be nice candy or is it just in VBS ?

i wonder IF BIS can do real working vests on that engine

vests that are not passing 9mm bullets from pistol, but 7.62 rifle bullet without any problems

I agree with Col.Flanders about the choppers. It is almost impossible to use FFAR's because if you are flying with the mouse and try to move the mouse to point your crosshairs at the target, that function just tilts the chopper on the axis, but doesn't point the aircraft. We already have tilt function with A and D buttons, what's the purpose of TWO tilting functions when there is no stearing function? This makes FFAR's so useless, especially if you are flying the plane!

Those sounds of broken words in the commands is absolutely rediculous! "move TO that tree at FIVE o'clock" sounds so lame! So much like a cheap answering machine. Also the commands are so loud, even when the AI is trying to sneak in as specail forces, you can hear them barking those commands from far away!

1.SP (campaign and missions) they didn't use the whole potential of their own game huh.gif Realistic missions can be boring sometimes, but those from ArmA are boring AND not realistic = no motivation to play.

2. It's not as realistic as we/I wanted it to be (look below), still there are mods from ofp that are more accurate than things from core ArmA (but well, that's the purpose of mods I suppose).

3. Bugs and stuff we were moaning about since ofp (It might not be such a big drawback since it's getting better with every patch)

I love ArmA but alot of OFP problems still shine through...

1. Climbing ladders is clumsy

2. A soldier has to finish his action animation first before dieing

3. Cant cancel a movement (bino's to weapon)

4. Cant reload while walking (cant remember if OFP had it, still annoying though.

5. Building navigation is weird.

Otherwise, all good biggrin_o.gif

Well, I've already returned to "Joint Operations" playing whilst waiting for repairs but here's one of the things that annoys me:

When making missions in editor one thinks "ok , here's a good story and nice action" and one is ready to transfer it into a multiplayer pbo......then comes a new patch....and some of the command lines in triggers have been mysteriously changed and I'll have to do all the triggers again. Then comes yet another patch and it changes once again some command line into a non functioning one.

I mean, come on...make up your mind! crazy_o.gif