Sign in to follow this  
W0lle

ArmA is just ... disappointing

Hmmm. "arma is just awesome" has 5 pages, and "arma is dissapointing" has 20 pages. Says alot of what the state of the game is. And now 1.08! The problem-thread for that has also past 20+ pages.

And what; some 1000mB of pathes!! Thas a hole game for some. Not good.

Maybe because those of us who enjoy the game would rather play it than post useless crap in forums whistle.gif

The unhappy people and attention seekers are always more vocal.

Well how nice then that you are playing it instead of beeing here flaming us who cant.

And with what right do you say that ALL uf us who cant play because of various bugs etc. are posting "crap"? Says a lot about you!

I'd say we go back on topic now, you can still sort your private stuff by PM or somewhere else. This topic is about negative experiences with ArmA and not about which posts are trolling or flaming.

Well how nice then that you are playing it instead of beeing here flaming us who cant.

And with what right do you say that ALL uf us who cant play because of various bugs etc. are posting "crap"? Says a lot about you!

What bugs are preventing you from playing? There is a troubleshooting section for people having problems.

If you are just posing "ArmA sucks" type comments instead of actually trying to get your problem sorted out, then how can it be anything but crap?

What use do you think a post like this is:

Quote[/b] ]Hmmm. "arma is just awesome" has 5 pages, and "arma is dissapointing" has 20 pages. Says alot of what the state of the game is. And now 1.08! The problem-thread for that has also past 20+ pages.

It's just an attempt to insult people, it doesn't do any good. If you would rather insult people than actually try get your problem sorted, well that says a lot about you!

whistle.gif

Edit:

W0lle, I only saw your post after I posted this by the way, so I'll stop posting here now.

@maddmatt:

you should read the post, then think about it and then write a answer. If you and similar posters here would do that then you would see that it was rethorical.

I am not insulting nobody here only giving my opinion on the state of the development of the ARMA as a product. Or is the fact that arma is buggy and I have lost my confidence in BIS and rest of my post insulting BIS? What is BIS some godlike institution which is not allowed to be criticized and everything negative is a blasphemy? biggrin_o.gif

@wolle:

I also just read your post and I will stop further arguing.

What bugs are preventing you from playing? There is a troubleshooting section for people having problems.

If you are just posing "ArmA sucks" type comments instead of actually trying to get your problem sorted out, then how can it be anything but crap?

What use do you think a post like this is:

Quote[/b] ]Hmmm. "arma is just awesome" has 5 pages, and "arma is dissapointing" has 20 pages. Says alot of what the state of the game is. And now 1.08! The problem-thread for that has also past 20+ pages.

It's just an attempt to insult people, it doesn't do any good. If you would rather insult people than actually try get your problem sorted, well that says a lot about you!

whistle.gif

Edit:

W0lle, I only saw your post after I posted this by the way, so I'll stop posting here now.

Well it says what I`m (and obviously so many others) dissapointed with. Patch 1.08 doesnt even apply etc.

And I have every rigth to reflect on what comes up in these forums.

And the graphical issues that is HINDERING me to play (´cos I cant see anything) are nowhere to be solved, so dont go there when you dont know. THAT is flaming.

And what makes your "people with gameproblems suck" any better then what you accuse me of?

Edit: I to have read your post moderator, but since I belive I have a right to meet any kind of accusation i will do so. And dont start a thread about what is dissapointing if we are not allowed to express just that. Thank you!

Ok, I know people play for the multiplayer, but my God, I just have to say.. Currently playing "Direct Hit" for the second time round (1.5, now 1.8) and, it is the most frustrating experience I've had in a long time.

1. It's pitch black, everyone can see you clear as day without NV goggles

2. The AI scores hits straight away, converging on your position with sickening precision

3. The "Silenced" rifle seems to attract attention just as much as a non-silenced one

4. The opfor helo always crashes. Lame.

5 It being night, you can't see who killed you, which piles on the frustration

Now, I've seen loads of people saying "Oh like i did that on vet with my hand tied behind my back", but I'm really having trouble believing it. It seems to have got harder on 1.8. At least with Flashpoint, you had a chance at fighting back, but with Arma, the aiming is wobbly and the grass stops you seeing those pinpricks in the distance who immediately kill you.

Ok, maybe I'll try multiplayer...

Personally I don't find ArmA disappointing but rather frustrating because it has a lot of potential that often goes unrealized.

All I can say about the M4SD is that the sound is unrepresentative of what's happened. The M4SD is simply suppressed, the bullet is still super sonic and is by no means "silenced."

spent hours making an addon for units and now with 1.08 the config dosn't work so the units fire out of their chest. Not backwards compatable with my work.

I know, I know... it'll be because of a bug with the previous version... still annoying though because it wasn't pointed out where the solution is for anyone who's slip up with this bug.

spent hours making an addon for units and now with 1.08 the config dosn't work so the units fire out of their chest.  Not backwards compatable with my work.

I know, I know... it'll be because of a bug with the previous version... still annoying though because it wasn't pointed out where the solution is for anyone who's slip up with this bug.

Villa's rifle addon also does it too..

I had to get rid of addons that do it...

tis a shame..

confused_o.gif

Sorry if any of this has been said, but I stopped reading when sickboy got snobby...I lost a lot of respect for you mate.

Been playing for about two weeks now, never played OFP so I have not been "tainted", so to speak. My loss, though it appears...

My issues with the game have been said, but I will echo them again for the record.

Quote[/b] ]not much in the way of support for server Admins who are new to the whole opf/ArmA style...

Every single post I made on server topics has gone unanswered...calling all fanboi's!

Quote[/b] ]jester said...I've seen plenty of number two on these forums...

you said it brother...piles of it.

Quote[/b] ]Skullburner said...There is almost no communication with customers...

Couldnt agree more, where are the devs? Why arent they represented here? and addressing these complaints?

Quote[/b] ]patching is taking so long and giving almost no progress and even introducing new bugs.

Check...

Quote[/b] ]Heatseeker said...Well, you wont enjoy the game if it runs bad, even in low details. Aiming and shooting with poor FPS is frustrating so you need a beefy PC. If it runs great with decent FPS you are much more likely to love it. I think this is where much of this disapointment derives from, many people come up with excuses and pick on everything because they cant run the game well enough to enjoy it..

I personally dont blame the developers--in software, bugs happen, get over it--but how the heck does Q/A miss the armored vehicles punting all over the battlefield? Or Friendly AI that wont cross a bridge, even though there are like 5+ strategic bridges in the game map? Whatever the issue, the problem is most of them seem obvious, which is why I think ppl seem to be angry about the quality. I tend to agree with them, but I can also see the potential, as well as what is already good, in this game.

Quote[/b] ]Vilas said...parashootes for cargo of BMP ?

haahaha

lol, that I would like to see...

If Iwas going to make a war game I would not have it on a sun-kissed, tropical, holiday island, would you? I would prefer a full on desert island, like Iraq type setting, or a full on snow/bleak island, as if it was set in Bosnia or the depths of Siberia, like kolgochev or what ever it was called from OFP.

What is the story with the buildings, when they just fall down, that is such a bad effect (without swearing) I would rather the building never fell down, bits should just crumble off when they are shot at, Does BI know how strong Buildings actually are!

I think the most stupid thing in the whole game is when you shoot at tires and they just go black/burnt. I don't understand why they even bothered doing such an effect, if they were struggling for a popped tire effect why didn't they just keep the old effect from OFP, where it just deflated!

Little things like the one Above totally destroy the game experience for me I wish they would fix simple things like this in the patches

Who agrees with what I've said, If you've read this far?

well this new island lag indeed on lower computers.

the ofp islands converted to ARMA work very good even with some bug to fix..

but dont worry, there will be addons for those maps you desire and we all desire. wink_o.gif

"Villa's rifle addon also does it too"

no, no, no

maybe old version

after 1.07 all my packs were updated !

I agree with you Alfish and add everything I already said in this thread. I also miss more of realism, it says "most realistic simulator" in most parts ARMA is not realistic at all.

Look at this very old UT mod called Infiltration and you will see what I miss in ARMA and this game is old. Graphic is not so important for me OFP graphic is good enough for me, what I need is better realism and removing all this small anoyances and bugs that made me stop play OFP, but now ARMA made almost no important progress compared with OFP. Yes it has better graphic and big island but with the costs on performance and quality and no important progress is made towards better OFP.

I understand and share the loyalty of this community. What I dont understand is....

1: Why the finaticly loyal feel the need to come to the defense of BIS and slam the other loyal people who are here not to slam the game or BIS, but are here in hopes that those in BIS actually are affected by these forums and can make the game better.

Yes there is a small persentage of people who will come in here just to be negitive. That how the world works. But I believe most people are here because they do believe in the company and the game. We are just trying to make it better. Why is that soooo bad? Do we go to the positive thread and tell you all you're morons for liking the game?

I dont know about anyone else but the lack of maturity I see isnt the people who are trying to improve things.

2: To the people trying to make a difference.... The negitive posts and whining will get you nowhere. I understand the frustration, but if you want people to listen to you, you need to make an inteligent arguement. We do need to remember that the creators of this are human beings and Im sure are not without ego. Would you listen to someone telling you that something you worked on for years was junk? Or would you get defensive and ignore them?

If you want to make a difference you need to be inteligent and unemotional and state your case so it will be heard.

To all at BIS, I do think as Ive said before that you guys have some amazing talent and I truely believe that the ultimate game isn't very far from what you have now. There are some good suggestions in here even if they are not worded very well. Sugestions that even the finaticly loyal would like if they had them.

Wolle I know this isnt exactly on topic but Im hoping it will help everyone!

If Iwas going to make a war game I would not have it on a sun-kissed, tropical, holiday island, would you? I would prefer a full on desert island, like Iraq type setting, or a full on snow/bleak island, as if it was set in Bosnia or the depths of Siberia, like kolgochev or what ever it was called from OFP.

What is the story with the buildings, when they just fall down, that is such a bad effect (without swearing) I would rather the building never fell down, bits should just crumble off when they are shot at, Does BI know how strong Buildings actually are!

I think the most stupid thing in the whole game is when you shoot at tires and they just go black/burnt. I don't understand why they even bothered doing such an effect, if they were struggling for a popped tire effect why didn't they just keep the old effect from OFP, where it just deflated!

Little things like the one Above totally destroy the game experience for me I wish they would fix simple things like this in the patches

Who agrees with what I've said, If you've read this far?

- island, well, matter of taste, I quite like them, but other sceneries can't hurt anyway. Add-on will come, at least.

- buildings, I think BI explained that making building crumble off bit by bit would lead to severe multiplayer synchronization issues, they've gone the easy way in this matter. I close my eyes during the crush and when I re-open them, the fact that buildings CAN be taken down adds to the possiblities the game offers. I'm not too fussed

- definitely agree about the tires. The overall sudden burnt textures, in fact. Not to badd result after a full vehicle explosion, but shooting small arms at cars and seeing them suddenly turning all rusty banghead.gif

My main disapointements so far :

- Server crashing around 60+ players. 100+ were advertised.

- performance.

- animation oddities & annoyances.

- vehicle target reticles missing and/or lock issues

- AI doing ... well, sometimes I wonder what they do. They can do amazing things and moves, but only sometimes, in the middle of too many idiotic decisions. They are mindless rushers 80% of the time (attack chopper handling is confused_o.gifconfused_o.gifconfused_o.gif ), can stand around deaf and blind and useless, look straight forward and don't even see that ennemy 5m to their left, etc.... This is a kind of strange issue, because otoh, I see no other game offering what ArmA can bring in terms of AI. But if these AI fights are too often destroyed by general AI behavior, what's the point giving large fight capability?

- no linux server yet.

IMHO the main ArmA advancement is in scale. But at the moment not really usable (or not to the extend I expected), because of performances, lack of large MP support, and AI issues.

Id say the biggest problem in ArmA, for me anyway, is the "uber sniper bots". I can understand giving them good accuricy, but when people get sniped OUT OF A HARRIER i think its gone a little too far.

And no, there were no Shilkas, Tanks, APCs, BMPs, AA guns, nothing sept a squad of 5 guys that was spotted in the area.

Why is it that the ARMA AI is inferior to the OFP AI?

-In OFP, AI never had problems with the only bridge (Nogova bridge). In ARMA, they have problems with bridges....

-In OFP you will never see AI's shoot RPG's at soldiers (and in the process waste all ammo and maybe even kill your own team).

That sort of stuff just didn't happen in OFP.

If you want to see very well scripted AI, and what the OFP AI is capable of, take a look at some of the user made campaigns for OFP. ARMA is lacking that.

Some of the old school OFP campaigns with awesome AI:

-Hawk in shadows

-Hawk in nest

-Operation Peacekeeper Retaliation

To name a few out of dozens.

Why is it that the ARMA AI is inferior to the OFP AI?

-In OFP, AI never had problems with the only bridge (Nogova bridge). In ARMA, they have problems with bridges....

There was an issue with AI and bridges in OFP, search and you will find.

That sort of stuff just didn't happen in OFP.

I am sure u havent played too much OFP coz this was exactly a bug in OFP. So many times AI went to drown when I told em cross the bridge.

I've added to this thread already but heres more. AI cant drive, compared to OFPs AI. What changed? Doesnt matter if you put em on SAFE mode.

Tires dont screech when you make a sharp turn, theres no burnt rubber either.

Units in general get drawn too late, hard to fly over a town with heli or airplane and actually killing anything (unless you use guided).

after a few months of solid arma action, the game is already slowly starting to wear out....

I've been waiting for this huge update 1.08 and now its arrived I find that many bugs are still not fixed and even old bugs have reappeared (switching to gunner or ejecting from a tank will send the tank into an endless spin icon_rolleyes.gif )......ammo crates, bunkers are immune to direct shelling from tanks.....RPG's do little or no damage to foot soilders....trees fall like paper with no sound or effect on vehicles.....repetitive and predictable ai....flying vehicles.....there's more but I guess you know what I mean.

I guess the above annoyances mean nothing to a newcomer to this type of game, but for the ex-pat OFP players it's hard to dismiss.

Quote[/b] ]I think the most stupid thing in the whole game is when you shoot at tires and they just go black/burnt. I don't understand why they even bothered doing such an effect, if they were struggling for a popped tire effect why didn't they just keep the old effect from OFP, where it just deflated!

I agree alfish...to look at the attention to detail and animation effects of the mosquito's and leaves and compare it with damage effect to vehicles huh.gif

The graphics and detail of models in arma are awesome but I have to say that sadly it is lacking in gameplay and feels more like a shootem-up battlefield type of game.....I won't say I'm totally dissappointed, It's obvious alot of time and programming skill has been used to create arma but I guess a few more updates are in the pipeline before it gets to OFP status wink_o.gif

Hmmm. "arma is just awesome" has 5 pages, and "arma is dissapointing" has 20 pages. Says alot of what the state of the game is. And now 1.08! The problem-thread for that has also past 20+ pages.

I'm not gonna get into the flamey side of this, but I will post some food for thought:

Complaints thread is now 22 pages

Likes thread is 6.

Photography thread is 60.

Videos thread is 153.

Draw conclusion from that what you will. wink_o.gif

(I like to think those of us who enjoy the game express it in ways other than posting in an "I like/dislike" thread)