Sign in to follow this  
W0lle

ArmA is just ... disappointing

I have found 2 interesting free games in the net True Combat:Elite and Urban Terror they are not so big like ARMA and don't have so big scale as ARMA but they are functional. True Combat:Elite is very interesting and realistic CQB modern combat game. So if you are into some fun in the time you are waiting for ARMA to become more functional and "mature" perhaps you should try one of this games in the meantime.

I hope this thread has a point to it, if it doesn't i just don't see the point in adding to it. Hopefully one of the Mods can verify that it does have a point or not. My bitch about this game is as follows bellow:

1 Lack of mulitiplayer players (CTF)

2 Shitty attack aircraft controls

3 Player animations

4 No available jump, or climb over small walls

5 Degraded in performance after a time

Fix the above and i would love this game.

They said on the 1.08 patch thread that they fixed around 500 issues. However, neither of the ones you mentioned are listed. A real shame...

I think this should fit in here... since it might shed some light on those who havent understood why the game was released early and with a considerable amount of bugs.

I also think that by now most people were able to understand why Arma was released early and not in the best possible shape.

If you read what im quoting bellow and understand it you might reach somewhere.

From Maruk himself:

Quote[/b] ]Spanel: We released the game before Christmas in eastern and central Europe. The reason for this was simple: we ended up on our own with regards to everything. We're not a big company, and we had to release in order to get some income, it's as simple as that. There are sometimes not many choices you can make, it's either 'do something or do nothing'. We're completely independent developers and we didn't find a way to agree with any big publishers. A year ago, nobody believed in the game at all.

Source: http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=164427

Arma is not the only game to be released in the not best possible state, its also a very large, open ended game using BIS unique proprietary graphics engine.

Since release BIS have been able to improve and implement lots of things. This means investing income and work/man power on the product instead of moving on..

Have you played any recent PC games published by industry giants? GRAW, R6 vegas, SHIV... these have been released in terrible shape and some were even abandoned early after release, these companies actually have the funds to develop and support better but they are all about consoles...

I thank BIS for every single fix, every single patch and for taking comunity feedback into acount, cant wait for 1.08 smile_o.gif .

ARMA had so much potential, its sad to think about it. If only the animations and controls were the same as OFP, if your character didn't feel like a retarted robot.

Even with all the bugs, lack of features and crappy missions and campaign, it had the potential to be a very good game, if only BIS didn't change what made OFP enjoyable.

Because of such bad decissions in ARMA regarding control smothness and the way things act, most multiplayer game modes other than coop are pretty much dead.

Whats funny is that Red Orchestra simulates war far better than ARMA and nobody brags that its the ultimate simulator.

In RO you have/can:

-Open hatches

-See the inside of a vehicle

-Realistic looking tracers (Not every tank round is a tracer like in ARMA and sniper rifles don't have tracers)

-Much better realistic sounds

-Tank combat actually simulates tank engagement

-Tank shells can deflect off other tanks like in real life. How often does that happen in ARMA?

-You can jump small obstacles but you can't jump on and on and you can't bunny jump. In ARMA, the solution to bunny jumping was no jumping at all

-Vehicles act like vehicles, they get simulated much better

Seriously, if I feel like playing a war simulation, I get into seriour RO server with 64 people and feel much better than playing ARMA coop with retarted AI.

ARMA could have been one of the greatest all around game ever. But OFP still holds that place.

thats all well and good, and I agree that those would be excellent additions, but untill RO stops simulating war in a space the size of my bedroom, then the openess of ArmA wins my vote every day.

I think this should fit in here... since it might shed some light on those who havent understood why the game was released early and with a considerable amount of bugs.

I also think that by now most people were able to understand why Arma was released early and not in the best possible shape.

If you read what im quoting bellow and understand it you might reach somewhere.

From Maruk himself:

Quote[/b] ]Spanel: We released the game before Christmas in eastern and central Europe. The reason for this was simple: we ended up on our own with regards to everything. We're not a big company, and we had to release in order to get some income, it's as simple as that. There are sometimes not many choices you can make, it's either 'do something or do nothing'. We're completely independent developers and we didn't find a way to agree with any big publishers. A year ago, nobody believed in the game at all.

Source: http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=164427

Arma is not the only game to be released in the not best possible state, its also a very large, open ended game using BIS unique proprietary graphics engine.

Since release BIS have been able to improve and implement lots of things. This means investing income and work/man power on the product instead of moving on..

Have you played any recent PC games published by industry giants? GRAW, R6 vegas, SHIV... these have been released in terrible shape and some were even abandoned early after release, these companies actually have the funds to develop and support better but they are all about consoles...

I thank BIS for every single fix, every single patch and for taking comunity feedback into acount, cant wait for 1.08 smile_o.gif .

Great, good, fine! I didn't know this! But, why devs don't be honest and post this here? Are we supposed to search at all game web sites to find such information? Just create a new open topic to comunity saying the reasons. I am sure almost everyone will understand. What I miss is this. If they start to talking and tell us the reasons, everybody will like to know! I am so disappointed with ArmA, but I can understand. I like BIS and will support them! I bought 3 copies of OFP in the past and will buy two ArmA (I already have one, euro version), but I am waiting for American release here in Brazil to buy it again! Despite all problems, I believe in what BIS can do for us. Long life to ArmA/OFP/BIS/community !  wink_o.gif

@Heatseeker - I do understand and it's crystal clear why the game was released early (on this place I do grant them that they had balls to admit it), but is this (the 'crisis' of theirs) still the excuse to act like this? Now, here we begin to differ; I don't see this as an excuse to cheat - or you can (try to) cheat but on the end you must also to bear the consequences - and I think BIS sooner or later waits this faith; I think because of this step now they're almost totally dependent from (this) community, beleive me, the 'ordinary' custumers are gone after this bad expirience with ArmA.

I agree, there's (almost) no game anymore on the market that is published in 'ready' state. Where's hiding the reason for it? As I see it in the fact that they think they can 'go away with it'; the 'market', but mostly the communities with their 'fanboy' posture gaved them that (false) feeling. But I think this is now ending and it's turning around; many dev groups already paying the price to such a policy; the last 'victim' is Piranha Bytes (the creators of Gothic series); they're on a nice track to bancrupt and to ceise to exist, and they're solely (with 'cheating' the custumers) to blame for this, and sooner or later even big companies waits this faith if they'll continue like this.

And as NetWalker says I am so disappointed with ArmA, but for the difference from him I still can't understand and can't support such a policy, and I will not support it like this, giving them my money for something I think it not deserves it. Despite my grundges over ArmA I am(still) and I tend to stay -I hope a satisfied- BIS custumer ,,, or I will not, they had not grown on my heart.

@Heatseeker - I do understand and it's crystal clear why the game was released early (on this place I do grant them that they had balls to admit it), but is this (the 'crisis' of theirs) still the excuse to act like this?

As far as we know, they had the choice of either releasing it early and unfinished or not at all.

What would you have preferred? Not at all?

Without a doubt i'm glad they decided to relese ArmA, but the fact that not releasing the game was even taken into consideration should tell you something about its original state.

Also if this trend continues i fear for the future of game2... sad_o.gif

Game feels slow, weapon reloading animations suck, even for a realistic game they could do better.

AI sees you threw walls, buildings, ect, and has to awsome ability to snipe you out of helicopters with AKs.

Vihicles dont act realisticly, and are slow as crap.

Planes and helos turn like half their tail was blown off and its difficult to stay on target for any amount of time.

No wind/elevation adjustments for the sniper rifles, or regular rifles for that matter.

Aside from that its a great game, and all of the stuff ive listed can be changed in a patch.

Without a doubt i'm glad they decided to relese ArmA, but the fact that not releasing the game was even taken into consideration should tell you something about its original state.

Yeah but if they didnt release it they did not have the funds to contuning making it, and they knew if they released it in unfinished state people would still buy it anyways lol which allowed them to get cash to continue there development.

Which brings on the fact will there even be a game2?

@Heatseeker - I do understand and it's crystal clear why the game was released early (on this place I do grant them that they had balls to admit it), but is this (the 'crisis' of theirs) still the excuse to act like this?

As far as we know, they had the choice of either releasing it early and unfinished or not at all.

There has maybe also been some other 'way out', every (especially economically releted) situation is more flexible than this; personally I don't beleive it was such a black - white, 'do or die' situation, but if it was, then ,,, I'm afraid no Game2, Matt. wink_o.gif

Well its good to hear that its taken half a year to fix 500 bugs. Just wondering how long its of to take to fix the rest of them. I'm just really surprised this game made it to the stores with that amount of bugs. Maybe in another year i just might get the game i paid for.

However, still no mention of a fix for the shitty flight controls, player animations, and crappy performance issues. Maybe when these things are fixed we might see more then 3 or 4 CTF servers with people on them.

Hi, i'll like to know in what BIS have been loosing they're time, fix

useless crap like the insects LOD is... well... i can't tell what i think

of "that". Instead of fix real bugs, like that the AI's can shot through

floors and walls when they're inside buildings, or that you can't see

the AI's inside the hotel throught the windows... but they can see

you perfectly... or the game performance, or add more content to

the game; like add the A-10 to the campaign, or make the M4 Aimpoint

semi & full auto, they waste they're time fixing something as pointless

as the insects LOD. Also something that really annoys me; the SF's

with protec helmets!? ppfffftt.. man... only the combat divers use

those helmets, the rest of the SF units use the standard helmet

of they're section (army: Mitch, USMC: Mitch or the standard one)

also fix the anmis will be good, or reduce the stupid dispersion

of the bullets; that makes me think that im playin' to some Monty

Phytons game, 20 or 40cm of dispersion in 700m from the place

that you're aiming at, is reasonable... but 1m of dispersion in 300m?!

how may shots that weapon have!? 300.000...!? is like shoot through

the damn Katrina hurricane. Also the thing that don't be able of

look the GPS (aka minimap) in vehicles like tanks, that's just...

ppffftt.. the flight model... other thing that's pointless.

And what about the spanish translation?, don't we deserve a good

enought translation?, some of the names of the objects are in english...

others have wrong names... others have mistaken names... why?,

we don't deserve a good translation or what, because i don't get

it... is a 90% Babel Fish translation, the other 10% of the "translation"

is in english, so... what kind of translation is that?. And well, that's all folks.

Let's C ya

Look guys, Im not saying that ArmA is junk. I am saying that...

1: If you advertise it as something, Make it that something.

2: I do believe in BIS. I think they have some amazing talent and minds. That is why I made the post. I believe they can give more. If its a sim, then make it a sim. If you have to patch it, take the time to patch it right. Dont break things that weren't broken in every patch.

3: And finaly the thing I have the biggest issue with is the release. To publish all the hipe and build the game up, and release what they did was wrong on any level. As these forums show this is a very loyal community. If they had OUT RIGHT publicly said... Look guys, the game isnt quite ready for release but we are short on money and we would like you to buy it and help with the beta testing and developement.

This community would have jumped all over that and the expectations would have been very different. But the state of the game cant be put off on publisher demands. BIS was very public about wanting to release it and hunting for a publisher. All I want is the same respect we give them.

I am disappointed of ARMA besides numerous bugs, performance issues and conceptual misconceptions also while ARMA lacks for some basic military sim concepts that could be found in even some very old mods like in Infiltration mod for UT. It is very old game with outdated graphic but all other concepts in game are more advanced than in ARMA. ARMA looks almost like some arcade shooter compared to this very old mod.

Look at this cool review Infiltration Review to see what we are missing.

I think that BIS should first implement all this cool handling stuff in game and then after focus on making large scale islands and cool graphic. Large islands are useless anyway when servers can only handle up to 40 players without laging, for proper utilization of the 20 km^2 island bigger amount of players in MP are needed at least 100 and more.

But what I am writing here there are still plenty of bugs that must be corrected until BIS can start to actually improve the game now they are only recreating OFP in 1.96 state with cooler graphic, bigger island and other useless stuff instead of improving

OFP and making a true sequel. But whatever perhaps Codemaster will do better job with Operation Flashpoint 2 who knows. One is sure for me I won't buy any new games from BIS in the future because I don't see any useful progress in quality and content of the games they are making, and I lost confidence in BIS in recent times.

Hmmm. "arma is just awesome" has 5 pages, and "arma is dissapointing" has 20 pages. Says alot of what the state of the game is. And now 1.08! The problem-thread for that has also past 20+ pages.

And what; some 1000mB of pathes!! Thas a hole game for some. Not good.

It is a general rule that complainers complain 10x more than happy people cry their joy wink_o.gif

I'm rather happy with ArmA, but you won't see me in "ArmA is awesome" thread. I don't see its purpose, tbh.

Hmmm. "arma is just awesome" has 5 pages, and "arma is dissapointing" has 20 pages. Says alot of what the state of the game is. And now 1.08! The problem-thread for that has also past 20+ pages.

And what; some 1000mB of pathes!! Thas a hole game for some. Not good.

Maybe because those of us who enjoy the game would rather play it than post useless crap in forums whistle.gif

The unhappy people and attention seekers are always more vocal.

One quick question:

When you are happy with the game why don't you go play the game instead of making the disappointed thread becoming even bigger filling it with useless statements?

One quick question:

When you are happy with the game why don't you go play the game instead of making the disappointed thread becoming even bigger filling it with useless statements?

Because I'm at work just before going home, if I really need to justify myself.

Kind of like yourself spamming the "ArmA is awesome" thread with useless statements, tbh. "Do what I say, not what I do?"-kind of guy?

Why don't you play Infiltration?

One quick question:

I thought you liked having threads filled with "useless statements", especially since you just posted one in the " ArmA is just ... awesome!" thread nener.gif

That is just pathetic coming from someone with 4 WLs who comes to these forums to insult people and the game, and post loads of useless crap.

Edit: Oh and I was just playing the game, just wanted to have a quick look at the forums nener.gif

I never said I am never posting something useless and the question was rethorical so it is not meant to be answered but if you wish just go on.

If you are at work then do your should work instead of posting useless statements on the forums, I never said I am never posting something useless and the question was rethorical so it is not meant to be answered but if you wish just go on.

Aww, this was just trolling? ok, my bad.

I never said I am never posting something useless and the question was rethorical so it is not meant to be answered but if you wish just go on.

Well how are we suppose to know that the question is rhetorical? You asked, so you got an answer.