Sign in to follow this  
W0lle

ArmA is just ... disappointing

It's sad that when ppl can't communicate by normal words, they have to shout, get aggressive and if you were in the same room; fight smile_o.gif

Aswell as getting political...

I agree btw that ppl who like the game, should not defend it in here. I know it's hard, because half of the time the things people report are fixable, changable, workaroundable, or are simply related to drivers, os, other programs etc. But in all fairness, this IS the disappointment thread smile_o.gif

Don't get me wrong, I no way in hell approve of foulmouthing as above smile_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]Lets give you a good example. I played the mission where you have to get up a water tower and snipe soldiers as they run away from a convoy of trucks that was just blown up. Those soldiers just ran around in circles, or led on the floor pointing their guns up to the sky. They didn't even respond to where I was

Durg78's new Mod that enhances AI fixes this bug.

dear Sickboy

we were talking some times about dissappointments and not

why other games - Stalker, COD2 don't make at my PC so much problems to run as ARMA ?

i was able to play ARMA after 1.08 patch !!!

not before,

NO OTHER GAME made such thing

ARMA is a game, product - it should work if PC fulfills requirements

many people are angry on this

as many are angry on other AI behaviours, collisions, etc.

BIS made OFP in 2000, RES was released 2002

ARMA was released few years after, but it was looking like not finished product on which we spent money

for me it looks like ARMA was not beta tested before release seriously (forgive my "english")

i comletly don't understand why i can play whole night long in COD2, Stalker without any problems, and for ARMA i have to add special big fan on my VGA and PC box to play more than 2 hours ?

i don't understand this

like i don't understand why till 1.08 release i couldn't play game more than some minuts (in 1.05 it was slowing down after 15 minutes comletly to zero FPS, no textures, models cartoon, in 1.07 after 20 minutes "cannot create surface 00000x7 ..")

many people suffered from this

if BIS is really seriouls want customers back - let they make bigger effort at testing before releasing ARMA2

this "disappointment" tread should be a lesson what to improve

because many people had fun with OFP for many years, but not have any fun with ARMA

i will not buy ARMA2 if i will see so many "disappointments" in forums

like i don' buy QG and wait for 1.09 or 1.10 patches to see what they will change , because i haven't touched ARMA for so long :P

your advices are sometimes very helpful but sometimes you "defend" to much I.M.O.

game is product - I am customer who want to get in hand "working", no problems making software to enjoy it, do You understand ?

i enjoyed OFP for so many years, other games too

and i wish BIS to make some more realism in game, AI shouldn't be killed after one shot in feet from rifle, bullet proof materials should be added, better path finding, less collisions of vehicles , of veh and environment, AI not "engaging" to suicide, AI obeying "not fire", AI not using RPG, AT4 at people, AI not using Stingers at tanks, better flying/driving possibilities, better HDR with ability to turn off

vilas, this is the disappointment thread about ArmA. Not your disappointment in me or my opinion.

If you read my above post correctly, you see that I do not defend anything here, just trying to tell ppl that like this game to actually quit posting in here because it's not their place. And sure I remain by my point; half of the time it's a problem on people's side themselves, it's good for you and others that "Other games and programs" seem to run fine, well ArmA needs some more system attention and usually in the end it runs a lot better, so be it.

We all have read your story about ArmA now a zillion times, im unclear why you post it again and kinda personally towards me. By now its burned in my memory and really doesn't need any more repeating.

You seem to forget often though, as when it comes to bullet proof materials I don't know anything else but that they are already in the game and working and im sure it has been said a zillion times before aswell. (Try firing on a BIS weapon or iron plate)

When it comes to why other games do not require extra cooling in your system; May I suggest you go into a technical forum and get your answers to that question? Also, I remember that it has been explained to you in all your threads, weird though that you still don't know why smile_o.gif

Anyway, look at my hypocrytical-butt, telling on the one hand others to stop defending in a disappointment thread, and here I am myself.  banghead.gif

I'm outta here  goodnight.gif

well if "other" games don't need special attention on PC, but ARMA does it means only one - ARMA is "bad" as software

other things are gaming related problems

bullet proof materials ?

haha

can you shot dead man in good vest using pistol and shooting at this vest twice?

can you destroy M113 or BMP using M4, AK, M249 rifles ?

in ARMA yes (350 5,56mm bullets to destroy APC), in real NO

there is no bulletproof materials, there is only "damage" value for parts of models, there is no something like "hit barrier" in materials to simulate penetration

otherwise you could kill cargo in BMP using 0.50 caliber not dammaging all vehicle

you haven't understand what i said

i am customer, i want BIS product function as other companies products

my voice was answer to You because you talk about compture related problems aiming not in ARMA but in users PC's

if you have 10 new games which work perfectly and 1 which work horrible, than what is "bad" PC or game ?

changing requirements by BIS is also in my opinion "disappointment"

it all means - game was not seriously tested before release, for sure they haven't been testing this game on enough number of PC, someone said - if he will see BIS on box it will be too late

i was long waiting for ARMA before release, but i am not waiting on ARMA2, till i will see some sirious step forward in "engine"

many OFP users care more about "realism", AI, destruction models than graphics - i am in this group

i still play RTCW , OFP - because it gives me fun from time to time, but i haven't touch ARMA for some months

Ok, one more, then im really out of here. (Concerning the thread, im sorry to go a tad off-topic here)

[*] First of all, I said that half of the time the user has a finger in it too. That simply says what it says, half of the time. A perfect example is running ArmA on Vista: http://community.bistudio.com/wiki/ArmA:_Troubleshooting_Vista  Half of the problems are caused by Microsoft (Vista)/Nvidia/ATI/Creative and become apparant also in other games, and sure the other half is the non-compatibility from Bohemia's side.

How many times more do you feel the need to repeat?

[*] Game was rushed, we all know it since almost the start. Most of us also have a pretty good guess on the reasons (and it was confirmed by Maruk in an inteview, something in the liking of: "Sometimes you must do something, or not do anything at all forever, we had to release ArmA and we're very sorry it was in this fragile state"). And the fact that they keep fixing it for us, shows they do care, and they do support their product. Why do you feel the need to constantly bring this up? Do you get off on repeating and repeat and repeat and repeat?

[*] ArmA does have it's shortcomings when it comes to stability and compatibility, agreed. So i'll repeat now for you this what has been said already to you, once more: but ArmA also puts in some areas more stress on the system than other games due to it's large scale nature and what not. This translates in power consumption and heat, and there you got your explaination why you might've needed an extra fan, don't forget to mention you had your system fans tuned down for extra low sound production IIRC. (And, Boy, an extra fan, we better call the Police)

[*] We all know now because of all your repeating, that you can blow up an APC with 350 bullets. (Which IMHO is not an important issue, and simply only an issue for ppl that are eager to find inconsistencies in the game to add up to their repeating "Disappointment Rant". I mean, which one of us is able to pump in 350 bullets into a manned APC with gunner,  keeps alive and fight off surounding troops with the rest of his clips? Again, nothing better to do?). Anyway, doesn't change the fact that there are material settings now that you can define where bullets passthrough or not passthrough, which is basicly what "Bulletproof material" (your words), mean. Like I said, shoot at a rifle, and there you find your first bullet proof material, now up to you to implement this to more things, like possibly a vest, and if it's not in your nature to invent and research new things, then leave it up to someone else to figure it out.

[*] Changing requirements on Queens Gambit, not on ArmA, but on Queens Gambit, has been explained by them, aswell as brought up by you aswell multiple times, same thing here; repeat, repeat, repeat, repeat. Is there really nothing better to do? (Like finishing ur addons and mods etc?)

Anyway, you are boring me to death vilas, and I know it's my own fault for reading your posts and actually responding to them, i'm only human too.

I'll probably get the famous fanboy remarks to my head now, but think what you like.

Trying to be part of the solution instead of the problem, aswell as having a positive insight does not make one a fanboy. Says me.

So my real contribution to this thread, my disappointments of ArmA;

[*] No built in properly featured Network Service. Altough overcomeable by own scripting and has been done.

[*] No properly functioning voicechat. Altough they say they are fixing it for 1.09, and one can use alternative voice programs altough this complicates things and is not nearly as immersive as real ingame voice.

Radic - For blatant disregard of moderator guidance and 3 posts worth of flaming..

+2WL & a 2Week PR your account will be under review for that lengthy tiriad.

[*] We all know now because of all your repeating, that you can blow up an APC with 350 bullets.

I wonder, by the way, which is more unrealistic: blowing up an APC with rifle bullets, or the similar "cumulative" effect of RPG's. I think, that an RPG either penetrates the armour, or not. If not, then it does little or no damage to the tank, and then, the next RPG does not destroy it any easier. But like you said, this is probably not the worst flaw of OFP/ArmA.

cumulation

of course

cumulation RPG, AT4 rocket blow tank at first shot

BUT !!!

in ARMA we have general dammage like in OFP

rocket takes away some parts of armor of vehicle

if vehicle is "weak" and RPG "hit" is bigger, than this vehicle is destroyed

if vehicle is much stronger, than you need some RPG

of course it is unrealistic too

but maybe this should be also theme of "bulletproof" properties

as RPG shooting at group of man wink_o.gif

cumulative rocket will not do so much dammages in large area like fragmentation rocket, antipersonal

if there were "bulletproof" properties working as they should - than one bullet would be richochetting while other would penetrate

of course it is hard to do

if i were "voting" "realism" vs. "graphics" i definitle take 1

when ARMA was released i thought it will be big step from OFP, but i haven't expected big step in graphic

which of cours i can "vote for" too, because i think ARMA has super look, super looking environement, all looks super

but after OFP i expected more battle field simulation than super lookig trees, buildings, landscapes

i don't know how much CPU power would be given by disabling HDR by developer, but maybe such CPU effort should be used by "engine"

like i would like to see some model parts independant - i mean

when i shoot at doors, this shouldn't cause dammage and explosion of car

if i shoot from 0,50 in car engine - i think in 99% car should stop because of destruction in engine parts

edit: i really think ARMA looks super as "graphics" models, environment, most of textures

Hello Vilas,

my opinion regarding the afford better spend in other things than graphics is very much the same as yours.

But on the other hand, it is understandable as the random customer buys a game because he likes the screenshots on the box and not because the text says "LAW are single-serving launchers and you will have to dispose it after use."

Quote[/b] ]

if i shoot from 0,50 in car engine - i think in 99% car should stop because of destruction in engine parts

This behavior is simulated by assuming that the most important parts of a car engine are in the tire's rubber. Just shoot the tire and pretend it is the engine. It will even corrode. rofl.gif

Quote[/b] ]Durg78's new Mod that enhances AI fixes this bug.

Any link to this? Checked the forums and found nothing on the forums or armedassault.info

As im never a "fanboy" (just posted in the opposite thread to this) ... I agree on AI with nearly everybody thats posted about it.

I would like to just see a little more less "bot on a mad one" and see some self control with the AI when taking cover etc.

Pathfinding for commanding your own AI team is comedy value in built up areas, you either micro manage or simply work around that scenario when making missions.

Optimising a bit more on bush areas (as been said before).

Thats about the only things that hit me as "hmmmm I see what they are on about on the forums" when I first started playing and learning it all (only had a month).

I'm wondering why a Geforce 6 would be a minimum requirement when it runs games such as Bioshock absolutely fine?

Geforce 6 (Which one BTW, 6600GT, 6600, 6800)? Is pretty old now. You can't run ArmA on high settings with that.

Of course it runs Bioshock fine, the most you ever see is a single room

Anyway, you don't even have ArmA now. So enjoy your arcade shooter games.

And if you're such a console fan, why buy the PC version of Bioshock on a PC with a Geforce 6?  

Quote[/b] ]This thread is for people who want to whine about the game. I really have to laugh at people who don't like whiners then still come into the thread and read the posts.

Well what is the point of posting on a forum if you don't want people to reply to you? Do you like telling people stuff and having them ignore you? It's a FORUM!

Anyway, enough wasting my time with this thread. I have better things to do than talk to people who want to be ignored and who are full of crap

Well my friend, if you had read what the Mods said about this thread. You would know, Its not for giving answers to, its simply so that people can have a moan about what they don't like about the game. Infact the thread is totally usless in my opinion. Why! Because alot of the things written here are not going to be fixed for this version of the game.

Bis may not have had so many complaints, had they not associated Armed Assault to OFP- When the only things these two games have in common now, is that they are played out over a large map.

The gameplay has changed to dramatically to call it a follow on to Ofp. Animations/Transisions/Vehicle movements, aswell as the whole feel to the game, has now changed. You might just aswell call Bf2 a follow on to ofp.

What ever possessed Bis, to take Ofp and turn it upside down, I'll never know. Last word to those who keep comming into this thread to defend the game. Doesn't the server count tell you somthing? You would also be aswell to spend your time posting in the positive thread aswell. That way you could make the game look more positive- Instead of trying to convert use whiners that you like to call us.

I don't know what's the point of defending the game they surely know is bugged. We are 'whining' to just give BIS a better image on what they should fix or make better.

Hi, about the Queens Gambit:

The Campaigns are much better than the default ArmA campaign;

harder, more worked and with less bugs; even when in booth new

QG campaigns, there're some scripts error messages.

A clear sign of don't have looked too much in the bugs fishing.

The "special characters" (Contractors aka Mercs and the spy) have

something wrong with the side weapons (pistols) and this happens

too with the addon weapons (my M1911-A1 & the HK Mk23's 1.1)

is as if the sight of the unit was missplaced or displaced or whatever

to the rigth, instead be looking as they should, to the aim point.

But somehow the bullets still flying straight to the middle of the

side weapon's back sight; i don't know why this happens but sucks.

Other thing... the medic of the Partisans... the medic of the

partisans don't have side weapon slots, so no GP25/30, M203

or BS1 grenades for him; no side weapon for the medic too.

I haven't try it with the default weaponry of this unit, aside than

in the default campaign with the Mercs; where it works. But if

in the Editor you remove his weapons with the: removeallweapons this;

command... and rearm him with whatever you want, addon weapon

or BIS weaponry... he don't heals no more.

Also, there's something wrong with his skin; is like as if in the O2

his uncovered skin... had been setted up to: shine. in the texture/model

properties; you can see how he "brights" at night at 250m without

NVG's. This is very bad, at least in my opinion; what if you play

in MP and you've an AI that's a Partisan medic, and you're playing

versus other human players?; they'll spot you at 500m with the

NVG's so they can concentrate all they're fire in the arch of

the path of your squad. Very very bad... this thing with his skin

don't seems to happen when you use a custom face (a .jpg) i

haven't try it with a .paa, but i repeat... very.. very... bad. Let's C ya

let me guess JPG (face) texture problem with ATI cards/drivers ?

Hi, no; i have Nvidia, so can enjoy the custom faces that i do without

any problem. But the problem in the Partisan's Medic, is there with

the BIS .paa (default, setted up by the game itself) faces; i think

that with the custom face (in .jpg) it dissapears, but i should try

again, because belive me; it's a very noticeable thing. There's no

way of miss it. Let's C ya

I'm not gunna quote anyone here tounge2.gif

The dammage values or hit values are the single biggest disappointing feature of the game right now.

It is basically not even worth getting into a vehicle of any kind as it becomes an instant death trap!

Version 1.06 values seemed to be good but in 1.08 they

seemed too have changed something drastic.

I love the game and have no problem with running it.

But for now I will only make and play "Infantry only" scenerios.

stonewall

Hi, this is what i meant with the "medics skin that shine by night":

partisanmedics.jpg

As you can see... the O2 properties of his skin, are wrong; are set

to: Shine. When they shouldn't, a partisan medic is a lampost in the

middle of night, booth units displayed there are medics, one with my

own custom face (a .jpg) and other in the back with the default

set by the game, .paa face. A very bad thing. Let's C ya

I haven't played in about 2 months and still no fix for when you go from driver to gunner and the tanks does 360s till you stop it by that time your normally dead, and the engine still runs even after you turn it off and switch to gunner. Where is the support?

Looks like the torrents will be busy in ArmA 2 because I don't know too many that will go out and buy a game when they don't support the ones they already have out. mad_o.gif

I haven't played in about 2 months and still no fix for when you go from driver to gunner and the tanks does 360s till you stop it by that time your normally dead, and the engine still runs even after you turn it off and switch to gunner. Where is the support?

Looks like the torrents will be busy in ArmA 2 because I don't know too many that will go out and buy a game when they don't support the ones they already have out. mad_o.gif

Maybe the engine runs because it needs the power from the engine when you move the turret? It stays shutdown until you start moving the turret.

Maybe the engine runs because it needs the power from the engine when you move the turret? It stays shutdown until you start moving the turret.

There's something called Silent Watch Mode where's the turret runs on an auxiliary battery to traverse the turret, also there's Manual Traverse, but since BIS screwed features such as: FCS, reticle scaling with incremental magnification, manual range entry, TIS, GAS, CITV, TC override, proper ballistic simulation, unity sights etc etc. I see no reason why they should have bothered with that feature. AFV's are basically useless.

Quote[/b] ]... when you go from driver to gunner and the tanks does 360s ...

Unlikely to get fixed in ArmA1 ... banghead.gif

The source might be in the model. So custom tank models could

fix this (means addon use).

Quote[/b] ]... the engine still runs even after you turn it off and switch to gunner ...

The engine gets reactivated once you move the turret.

It is defined that way in the config.

The PROPER Gameplay - Vehicle StartEngine Disabled addon fixes that big annoyance.

Also please check this out:

Very buggy sprint (fast forward) transition..., What about a workaround?

You might be interested in these too:

<ul>

[*]PROPER UI Gear Dialog Redesign

[*]PROPER UI No ActionIcons

[*]PROPER Gameplay Sound SupersonicCrack Effect Removed

[*]PROPER Gameplay Vehicle All White Radar Signature PvP

[*]PROPER Gameplay Vehicle InsideSoundCoef

[*]PROPER Gameplay Vehicle No Lock PvP

[*]PROPER Gameplay Vehicle No Alarm Sound

[*]PROPER Gameplay Vehicle OccludeAndObstructSounds

[*]PROPER Gameplay Weapon No Dexterity

etc

Please read the PROPER Mod BIKI site to understand what they are doing.

There are screenshots and small demo videos to visualize the

change for each addon.

BigRed, old friend and opponent. wink_o.gif

If you are interested in the stuff, please send me a pm or

contact me in icq / msn.

Quote[/b] ]... when you go from driver to gunner and the tanks does 360s ...

Unlikely to get fixed in ArmA1 ...  banghead.gif

The source might be in the model. So custom tank models could

fix this (means addon use).

I thought it was that when you eject/jump to another seat the tank will just keep moving in the last driven direction. WHen you get out or move to another seat when the tank stands still it wont move.

(Now ive never driven a tank, but the handles* would just stay in the same position right? Altough maybe tanks arent steered like that, i dont know. tounge2.gif

AFAIK it was introduced in 1.05 and its a feature, but i may be mistaken)

*I dont know the word, i ment like a joystick that would stay in the same position once you release it.

I have just reinstalled Ofp, to see if all my moaning about AA was justified, or if i had somehow got confused about another game and its mechanics. I'll start straight away by saying- Ofp beats Armed Assault by along way when it comes to gameplay. I honestly feel all armed Assault has going for it atm is the graphics, but that said. Thats the only thing alot of other games have going for them.

I tell you what really makes me laugh about this game. When i play Armed Assault online and speak to other players involved. They all want the Ofp animations back. And its only when i bring the subject up in these forums that there is a difference of opinion. I play alot of CTF. So it maybe the coop players putting there comments in aswell. But havn't they moaned enough about the ai. Maybe if they had a better Animation/Transition they could kill the boring ai.

I wish i hadn't reinstalled Ofp now. It has shown me what i am missing (gameplay wise) and why the servers numbers are so low on Armed assault.

Finally. Are we ever going to see a game that has Ofp gameplay and Armed Assault graphics. Please add your name if thats what you want to see. Maybe then Bis will do somthing. Comments only from CTF or PVP. Also no sniper camper comments plz.    

@Blake. I expected a silly comment from you like that (last post closed). Please explain why its useless when i have spoken to so many people who feel the same, And if its simply because you belive it to be a flame. Then hasn't it become big enough to be a topic of conversation.

@Hoz. Because is anybody really listening to what people want in the game. Looks like i'm wasting my time again speaking for other people. If 1.09 patch is going to be the answer plz tell?