Sign in to follow this  
W0lle

ArmA is just ... disappointing

And that my friend is why game developers release products that are not finished. Because they know that there are always gullible people like you who are willing to wait around for months in the hope that a patch will make the game run in a way that any normal games player would think it should have worked when they handed over their hard earned cash for the product in the first place.

This runaround tactic of 'cut the costs and release it now - ready or not' is simply wrong. What other product do you know that suffers from an early release? Do car manufacturers release cars that have faulty breaks? So that they can recall them several months later?

No my friend, you should be voting with your voice and your money. Games that are rushed to release are simply not worth buying, and as the guy said above, why should I have to fork out several hundreds of pounds to justify playing a game that, according to the game developers, should run on a system far below the standard of the one which I own?

How long are you prepared to wait for BIS to fix ARMA? They never fully fixed OFP and thats a 6 year old game.

You also got the wrong end of the stick. The soldiers running around comment was aimed at the shoddy ai, not online players.

I have been a part of the OFP community since 2001 and have seen the countless threads aimed at BIS by hardcore players (which I used to be incidentally) who wanted to see changes in this latest title. There are still many things that are still there which should have been fixed and werent.

You can slap a new coat of paint on an old cracked wall, but after a while the cracks reappear!

And that my friend is why game developers release products that are not finished. Because they know that there are always gullible people like you who are willing to wait around for months in the hope that a patch will make the game run in a way that any normal games player would think it should have worked when they handed over their hard earned cash for the product in the first place.

This runaround tactic of 'cut the costs and release it now - ready or not' is simply wrong. What other product do you know that suffers from an early release? Do car manufacturers release cars that have faulty breaks? So that they can recall them several months later?

No my friend, you should be voting with your voice and your money. Games that are rushed to release are simply not worth buying, and as the guy said above, why should I have to fork out several hundreds of pounds to justify playing a game that, according to the game developers, should run on a system far below the standard of the one which I own?

How long are you prepared to wait for BIS to fix ARMA? They never fully fixed OFP and thats a 6 year old game.

You also got the wrong end of the stick. The soldiers running around comment was aimed at the shoddy ai, not online players.

I have been a part of the OFP community since 2001 and have seen the countless threads aimed at BIS by hardcore players (which I used to be incidentally) who wanted to see changes in this latest title. There are still many things that are still there which should have been fixed and werent.

You can slap a new coat of paint on an old cracked wall, but after a while the cracks reappear!

1. Thanks for the gullible comment.

Trying to talk to people like you isn't worth it. And that's all I'll have to say in this thread, and to you, Just keep those insults to yourself.

There are far better army simulations than this that absolutely wipes ARMA's ass - Americas Army for one, which I am downloading right now and which is FREE.

.... rofl.gif

How do you know its better if you ain't played it yet? You're only downloading it................................................... whistle.gif

Cos I've played it before.

Anyway, I'll step out of the argument so other people can write about their experiences.

I hope your game gets fixed - but somehow I doubt it.

Toodle pip tounge2.gif

Like the topic title and first post says:

This thread is for people which want to post (constructive) criticism about ArmA.

This thread is not for discussions about game platforms or how good (or bad) other games perform. Neither Bioshock, NFS nor AA has anything to do with ArmA. Discuss this in private or in forums dedicated to these games.

I'll hand out WLs or PRs if the constant offtopic discussion continues.

Grodin, Marshal consider yourself warned.

At the end of the day, you get for what you pay for.

So what if ArmA was unfinished...

They dealed with somewhat-issues all the way up to 1.08.

Paying for the game supports the company and business.

My brother doesnt play arma. But when he see's me playing it. he was impressed with the patches that BIS released.

Ok - I'm gonna start with a request:  Mr W0lle - I realise you must be a busy person but please do your job - get into this MESS of a thread and weed out all the POINTLESS discussion and FANBOI SPAMMING - I have some very (IMO) legitimate comments to make - many of which will be reiterating no doubt what others before me have said but that's largely the point - in my dreams someone at BIS might do a statistical analysis of this sort of topic and go "OMG! we REALLY need to improve the AI eh?"  

The topic is the topic - it is for expressions of disappointment - as such it is OBVIOUSLY going to contain a fair amount of just dummy spitting - but overall it should serve a purpose - to give an idea of what people do see as negative about the game - I didn't see any mention of becoming targets for fanboi's or having to justify opinions...

- I think there are definitely cases where a curt "that is evidently a technical issue - try xyz topic" comment is NEEDED - but the amount of R-U-B-B-I-S-H in here is just shocking!!! - and doesn't say a lot for the quality of moderation BTW....

I tried to do the right thing and read everything before posting but by about page... what? 16 or so I think there's about ONE legitimate post per page vs the rest being FANBOI CRAP so I gave up and just jumped here to the end to put in my observations per the topic title: (feel free to mod out all above - all to follow IS relevant to topic - thankyou)

My disappointments:

1. AI is dreadful - poor pathfinding - poor combat savvy etc.

2. Default sound is just awful - addressed more than adequately by addons but surely we could have expected better straight up?.

3. Helicopter flight model - huh.gif? - what can I say - Codemasters already did this for BIS in OFP - it was good, it was right, it worked - (sigh,... what more can one say).

4. A small thing but important to me: - bushes not being able to be moved freely thru - was a lovely feature in OFP - I miss it in ArmA.

5. Various oddities that CAN be fixed easily enough by tweaking configs but it's disappointing to have to do such things to make the game engaging and enjoyable:

* Excessive recoil.

* Player fire dispersion too much.

* Enemy AI dispersion not enough.

All I can say is that I never had cause to even think about these things in OFP - the general gameplay ballance was just so much better....  is ArmA really supposed to be the sequel??? - I'm personally really hanging out to see what OFP2 delivers - but I would be thrilled if BIS could fix the AI and Helicopter FM's in ArmA.

is ArmA really supposed to be the sequel???

Quite simply, no. It's a game from the developers of OFP, not the sequel. It even says so on the box. Also what's wrong with the recoil? Seems fine to me.

2 points concerning weapons:

1) sniper rifles: what's the point of being able to shoot someone 1000m away when they (ai) just turn around and know exactly where you are and can follow you no matter where you go? bas "fixed" that in ofp by making the m24 silenced (until jam... but i won't flame that here wink_o.gif ) which is not good either because under 500m ai should be able to know the general direction but everything above 600m should be a lucky guess... (human players are left out of this because with them it's "just" a matter of the sound which has been adressed often enough)

2) g36: the g36 is a plastic pellet gun and it shoots like one, except that the pellets pack more hurt. it has almost no recoil. but in arma it feels like firing a mg from your shoulder while standing.

and why is it that you cant even use the real 3x zoom crosshair? the circle itself is almost useless, but the real crosshair contains so much more like a second ring for leading your shots or lines for long shots...

I believe the markings on the G36 scope are from the original model before the "E" with improved scope. Don't quote me on that tough. I guess they just went with what they already had as they didn't have the time or something.

Dude your gripe is with the gaming industry not ArmA specifically... as much as ArmA shits me I still love it because there is no game on the market like it and I know if it was released by someone like EA it would be 100x worse.

Americas Army... you compare Americas Army to ArmA.... dude go away you don't know what your talking about... icon_rolleyes.gif

I hope through being screwed into beta testing this game 1.5 that game 2 will actually work, and I'm quietly confident Arma2 (game2) will be what ArmA was meant to be.

America's Army? The game that was fun to play about 7 versions ago?

Wanna talk about a game with bugs galore - download AA. I just recently unsitalled it. I played it since the day it was released in 2002. I was in top ten ranked competition for the past 3 years in that game. Believe me when I say that ArmA is so much more than AA can ever be.

The only thing that AA has over ArmA is that AI are not a standard in that game. The two missions that involve AI (they are the enemy) are so easy to defeat it's pathetic.

ArmA has it's bugs (and different vehicle physics is not one of them - that was a change, not a bug), but it's still far more expansive than anything else out there. It does not have an arcade feel to it and it's not a fragfest in a shoebox.

Unfortunately, that's why it's not popular at all.

is ArmA really supposed to be the sequel???

Quite simply, no. It's a game from the developers of OFP, not the sequel. It even says so on the box. Also what's wrong with the recoil? Seems fine to me.

Sequel: -..... erm... you ARE joking,.... right??  As the next similar game in the SAME genre and executed in a very SIMILAR fashion I've certainly taken it as implicit that ArmA can be considered BIS's sequel effort in relation to OFP... and evidently I mean sequel in a broad "game-type" sense - not as a literal "our story now continues..."  

Recoil:  - well fair enough, it's a very subjective issue - but having fired many rifles (tho not M16 or M4 - but I have fired Mini 14 which uses same ammo so i have SOME idea of the kick power of 5.56 NATO - as well btw as 7.62 NATO by virtue of firing SLR) and watched soldiers on TV using those rifles - they are either wildly spraying several shots for each aimed one or they are NOT copping the same recoil effect ArmA gives - which makes it impossible to make more than one aimed shot per 1.5 seconds or so instead of a more realistic IMO figure of nearly two per second.   My DISAPPOINTMENT is that in OFP this was all addressed and dealt with entirely effectively - I never even thought twice about it - but after about the THIRD shot with an aimpoint M4 in ArmA I was hunting the net to find how to edit the freaking configs!!!

BTW the tone of these forums is so very clear here - ie. fanbois do whatever you want and anyone else just get fucked.

Oh, and I just looked again at the first post - and CONTRARY to some crap comment made a few posts back about this topic being only for constructive criticism: the title does NOT suggest any requirement to be constructive - and likewise there is no conditional instruction to that effect in the intro post... This topic is for COMPLAINTS - so if you don't like people complaining then PISS OFF and give each other virtual hand jobs on the PRAISE topic!!

It's more a case of having manners. You shouldn't have to be told and forced to be nice and not resort to insults and offensive statements. Common courtesy.

Try the 6th Sense mod, the recoils in that are changed a bit and maybe you'd prefer those? It's toned down slightly (more evident on the M249).

I'd say the fact that you CAN edit these annoyances if you don't like them is testiment to BIS. Most other games will have these values locked or hidden away where it's difficult to get to. It's impossible to make everyone happy, and a lot of the "dissapointments" are more related to personal preferance than bugs or short comings. You hear less complaints like these with other games because less is expected of them. People seem to expect BIS to cater for our every whim, which just isn't going to happen is it? The closest we'll get from them is the tools which they've kindly given to us and to let us tweak it how we want.

if you don't like people complaining then PISS OFF and give each other virtual hand jobs on the PRAISE topic!!

There are clear rules about flaming and flame baiting, rules which your post bumps head with, please tone down the aggressive posting manner.

Oh plees. huh.gif

Is the HDR improved over the 1.06 demo? I just tried it.. and disappointed. Image quality is good only when watching your feet, and even if I don't look to the sun... it's just ruined. Too dark/washed out image because of that damn HDR. Which lowers FPS too.

And the other thing I hate is the floatiness of the mouse... just plain stupid. I don't like my sights lagging behind me, CQB situations seem hopeless. AWW! mad_o.gif

Oh plees.  huh.gif

Is the HDR improved over the 1.06 demo? I just tried it.. and disappointed. Image quality is good only when watching your feet, and even if I don't look to the sun... it's just ruined. Too dark/washed out image because of that damn HDR. Which lowers FPS too.

And the other thing I hate is the floatiness of the mouse... just plain stupid. I don't like my sights lagging behind me, CQB situations seem hopeless. AWW!  mad_o.gif

Have you tried changing the HDRPrecision in your ArmA.cfg file from 8 to 16? Fixed the HDR problems for me.

For mouse lag, read topics like these.

Lately I have seen myself turn much more to OFP, been playing Revolt campaign again and even though I still run across some small things wrong with the game I still prefer OFP well over ArmA.

Combat is more fun, easier to command tanks, easier to command and fly choppers and jets, driving is much better since the screen doesnt center.

There is a lot of effort lacking from ArmA, you can definately tell it was rushed.

I know people will end up saying "but... OFP 1.0" I dont care, I remember when I didnt know how to patch OFP (yes I was that dumb tounge2.gif ) and was on 1.0 OFP, I still loved it, I would come home from school and be straight onto OFP. I just dont feel this with ArmA.

That tweak completely changed the way of shooting in ArmA for me! I can actually aim and hit now, after the excess mouselag is GONE.

But still, I am disappointed for it not being able to run just about decently on normal settings. 8800GTS 640Mb, E6750 @ 3,2GHz, and 4gb of ram. 1 Gig disabled for arma 64-bit bugging, that might drop fps some, and BIS ain't gonna fix it. goodnight.gif

It's more a case of having manners. You shouldn't have to be told and forced to be nice and not resort to insults and offensive statements. Common courtesy.

Try the 6th Sense mod, the recoils in that are changed a bit and maybe you'd prefer those? It's toned down slightly (more evident on the M249).

I'd say the fact that you CAN edit these annoyances if you don't like them is testiment to BIS. Most other games will have these values locked or hidden away where it's difficult to get to. It's impossible to make everyone happy, and a lot of the "dissapointments" are more related to personal preferance than bugs or short comings. You hear less complaints like these with other games because less is expected of them. People seem to expect BIS to cater for our every whim, which just isn't going to happen is it? The closest we'll get from them is the tools which they've kindly given to us and to let us tweak it how we want.

huh.gif? - WTF - you CLOWN!!  yes a deliberate INSULT - I don't give a SHIT that the recoil values can easily be edited or a mod exists that has more acceptable values - I simply wanted to say what i thought of the default values - why don't I have the simple right to do that - even when FUCKING INVITED TO DO SO - WITHOUT replys from fanboi fuckheads??? - the topic asks for comments - doesn'r imply it's about troubleshooting or some such  - can you not see the ORWELLIAN double standard being applied here - in this topic of all topics where we SHOULD feel free to air grievances (a USEFUL situation I should really think from the devs - point of view) - any negative comment - and I reiterate that the topic ASKS FOR FUCKING NEGATIVE INPUT!!!!!!!! - is RETALIATED against by FANBOI SHIT!!!

I don't give a FUCK what you think - I was asked what disappoints me about the fucking game and I TRIED to address that request.  

PLEASE GET A FUCKING MODERATOR IN HERE - PREFERABLY WHO ISN'T A FUCKING ONE EYED FANBOI and sort this MESS OUT!!!

Deep breath,..... rational thought - calm voice - what I expect when I read this topic is to see a contiguous listing of people's DISAPPOINTMENTS with the game - I don't want to see fanboi responses - I want to try to get realistic guage of what other CONSUMERS might be feeling about the same product I have just paid nearly $100 for....  - my utopian DREAM is that BIS might also get an idea of what we CONSUMERS / CUSTOMERS / $$ PAYING CUSTOMERS think....

EDIT + PS - mate I am a 130KG fucking PISSED OFF Aussie - if I was toe toe with one of you fanbois I'd LOVE to give you a decent fucking "talking to" - PLEASE just get someone in here to remove the fanboi rubbish and make this topic what it's SUPPOSED to be - ban me forever if you wish - or delete the entire topic but please cut the double standard as I'm afraid I just can't cop it!!!!!!!!!!

- and I WILL KEEP going until something is done... most of you fuckers are from former Eastern Block countries aren't you? - maybe it's just that I'm used to actual freedom of expression - not the FUCKING ILLUSION OF IT!!!!!

There are clear rules about flaming and flame baiting, rules which your post bumps head with, please tone down the aggressive posting manner.

Can you not read Radic? confused_o.gif

Oh plees.  huh.gif

And the other thing I hate is the floatiness of the mouse... just plain stupid. I don't like my sights lagging behind me, CQB situations seem hopeless. AWW!  mad_o.gif

Have you tried changing the HDRPrecision in your ArmA.cfg file from 8 to 16? Fixed the HDR problems for me.

For mouse lag, read topics like these.

THIS is a USEFUL post - not FANBOI SHIT like MOST!!!  Well done old chap - if you're anywhere near Cairns, Qld Australia I will shout you a beer and buy you a meal!!

Can you not read Radic? confused_o.gif

I read it..... now ask me if I give a FUCK!!!! - and BTW - how about YOU actually READ what I said - it's not actually just all pointless vitriol..... can you not SEE what I'm trying to say here?huh.gif

Wow Radic, you sure sound alot like Novusordo, he was about as fouled mouth as you.

Yeah, I have reverted back to OFP lately, at least until CSM is done, then I will be playing ArmA alot more again.

Again, boycott ArmA2.