Sign in to follow this  
W0lle

ArmA is just ... disappointing

I say we just Boycott ArmA2 when it comes out, it's probably going to be another sham as ArmA1, since the creators for ArmA havent really done much to fix and enhance some already adressed bugs and annoyances in ArmA1. We should just make due with what we have in ArmA and wait for OFP2 to come out. Unless ArmA2 is just an addon for 10 to 20 dollars, I'm not going to buy something for 50 that probably promises the same problems as ArmA1.

Aww don't get too upset about it mate. It could be worse.

But I agree, if ArmA2 does not deliver then we should leave BIS to f*ck around on their own wile we get OFP2.

As much as I enjoy ArmA (yes I know this isn't the thread for it) I will say that it took time to get it to this level and a number of terrific community built addons to make it what I consider to be a "mostly complete" game. I did expect more out of the game which is why I dl'd a Morphicon version as well as had a friend of mine in the Netherlands ship me a retail version as I live in Canada.

Some people here whine about their copy of ArmA, well folks, I have two copies so I guess that makes me twice as dumb in some areas sad_o.gif The good part is that the community is so full of talented people that ArmA will eventually be a really great game and I wonder if that will be the official release day for ArmA II? As much as I think BIS does it right, the staggered release dates, number of bugs, lack lustre original playability and general online experience have made me not so much fall off the BIS wagon as much as get dragged behind it.

What keeps ArmA at the top of my most frequently used software is the addons, not the original version of ArmA. Also, I don't have a top of the line rig but an E6600 and 8800GTS should be more than adequate to get consistent frame rates (fluidity, not environmental FPS spikes) with decent eye candy so I'm a bit bummed about the hiccups I experience, especially when flying low in a chopper.

I do know from all the above mumbo jumbo that I have reached one conclusion; I will not blindly jump into ArmA II until the community has assessed the game. If they give it a thumbs up then I'll definitely pick me up a copy but if not, I'll pass.

Sorry BIS.

now with a 1.08 "gold" version (which should have been the initial release), this halfbaked queens gambit "addon" sold (2 new islands? more like 1/10 new island) and already an announced arma 2 (wtf) BIS has lost most of its former reputation.

armas main island, sahrani, sucks. its an irregular unreal place.

armas main sp content sucked horribly. queens gambit should have been free for those who already bought the bugged alpha release aka 1.00.

so far i have lost any interest in arma2 or any other bis product.

But I agree, if ArmA2 does not deliver then we should leave BIS to f*ck around on their own wile we get OFP2.

As they'll gave a fart about it if this (the boycott) happens after they'll harvest the money from ArmA2. They'll simply move on and continue to make the games they like (car racing games ...).

I am dissapointed in arma. But mainly in the sp aspect of it.

I was plain smart not to buy the game on its release ( ohwell enough dumbasses around who do and they will complain and that way moment Ill buy a game its not so full of bugs smile_o.gif )

However im pretty sure every person that buys this game for the offline aspect bugs or no bugs will be deepply dissapointed. I mean the orginal campaign of ofp was super and altough red hammer was not that super i finnished it also and really loved the story and scripting of the resistance campaign. But then you start up arma campaign and well damn( you guys all tried it no need to explain )

A friend of mine doesnt have internet so all he has is the 1.08 ( from me ) with campaign and I can tell you he is not that happy with it. biggrin_o.gif

Hi

Has anyone had a problem with the game save? Just got QG and first rhamadi mission you have a radio. But if I save the game and then get killed, I reload my save and I have no radio.

Has anyone else experienced this? its really annoying because you cant finish the mission without the radio. This has happened on other missions for me where you have a radio.

Honsetly, with a variety of decent war based sims/games coming out, its make or break for Arma, I've got my copy around my clan, nice No-CD & Hamachi, does us over at least till Opf2. I suggest you do the same untill BIS listen to there community and get something done.

I bought a new computer mainly for this game and just recently started playing. What disappointed me the most is the mouse autocenter feature in vehicles which is incredibly annoying. Steering with a mouse and keyboard in OFP was smooth and much better while in ArmA it's jerky and you constantly need to move the mouse when taking turns. As a result, driving a motorcycle is almost impossible with a mouse. I can't believe that auto-centering hasn't been made at least optional yet. I had heard about controls in ArmA being worse than in OFP, but didn't expect them to be this bad.

The autocentre "feature" has to be the most annyoing bug while controlling Arma. There is a community bugtracker topic about it for months now with 28 votes and none of the BIS dev´s ever even felt to comment on that showstopper.

I guess it´s a bogus remain of the OFP Elite version and I somehow doubt that BIS is willing to change it, even if it´s totally nonsense and makes controlling vehicles with mouse and keyboard a horrific experience.

Still, they don´t seem to care. banghead.gif

Vote for the issue here:

Mouse autocentering makes steering and flying hard

Not that it would change anything, but at least they can´t say, that they didn´t know... icon_rolleyes.gif

It's a real showstopper indeed. ArmA looks so nice that I wanted to just sit in a car and explore the island but with controls like this, driving around is a torture. It's a shame they aren't willing to change it but I'm gonna vote anyway, thanks for the link.

I really wanted to like Armed Assult but at the end of the day it's left me disapointed. The graphics are the only significant improvement over OFP.

It has the same unwieldly interface as OFP. A menu totally controlled by the mouse is needed.

The AI is rubbish, seeing a squad attacked reminds me of a Ants nest stirred up as they run around in circles. They make no use of cover and happily walk down the middle of the road. Leading a patrol I really want detonatable explosives on each of my squad members so I can respond approparitey when they get lost.

Playing just feels like an effort with little fluidity in movement or changing posture. It feels much smoother and playabe in GRAW.

The animations are not detailed enough, they still look like robots but a least that suits their voices. Full body swiveling on the spot while lying down is unforgivable.

Really things have moved on since 2001. I just hope Arma2 is better but I certainly won't be preordering.

A menu totally controlled by the mouse is needed.

You're JOKING right....

huh.gif

A menu totally controlled by the mouse is needed.

You're JOKING right....

huh.gif

Err no? I guess you haven't played any modern tactical shooters. Ever heard of a mouse click radial or drag down menu?

Hi.

I'm very disappointed from Armed Assault.

I was a fan since OFP version 1.0 so you can be sure that you don't chat with a noob here. I created missions and campaigns for OFP many years (german community).

In ArmA I noticed that the ai knows everytime about you and your mates after spotting you. So far no problem. But if other ai's know your position over the entire island - after you were spotted once then I guess it's really unrealistic and seriously an issue!

I hope you BIS guys will take care of that issue otherwise Armed Assault was my last game from you people. Note too that I'm not a kid. So take it please as constructive critism.

If you don't know what I'm talking about... I speak about the knowsabout level which increases but don't decrease ever!

...If you don't know what I'm talking about... I speak about the knowsabout level which increases but don't decrease ever!

You misunderstand what the knowsabout level is. It just means that the AI is aware of an enemy presence, it doesn't mean that they know where you are. There was a whole topic about it with explanations from the developers here, do a search.

You really think the AI system in ArmA relies on that number? It doesn't.

The other AI knowing your location could be explained simply. They radiod to the rest to tell them. They have systems like that in reality you know? Militaries spend millions if not billions on systems that give their entire force the locations of the enemy when one unit has spotted them.

Update on the mouse autocentre "feature" that is bogging alot of Arma players.

Suma commented on the BTS issue:

Quote[/b] ]Unfortunately fixing this will probably be quite hard. Currently we use mouse only as a relative input (reading speed), never as an absolute one (reading position), which would be needed for this.

Going back to OFP system is not possible, as it was severely limited, it was necessary to code special paths for different input devices (keyboard, mouse, joystick, gampad, TrackIR), while with the new system we have one system which is flexible enough to handle all of them.

I would not expect this to be fixed for ArmA, though we will definitely consider improving it somehow for ArmA 2 (most likely by introducing absolute mouse readings as well).

mad_o.gifsad_o.gifgoodnight.gif

One of the biggest showstoppers in vehicle controls will not be adressed.

Me not happy.

That's very bad news. Not only it won't be fixed in ArmA, it's not certain whether it will be improved in ArmA2 either sad_o.gif

The old, "severly limited" system was so much better. How could they mess it up that much is beyond me. I really like the game otherwise but honestly, I've never played a game with worse vehicle controls, ever.

That's very bad news. Not only it won't be fixed in ArmA, it's not certain whether it will be improved in ArmA2 either sad_o.gif

The old, "severly limited" system was so much better. How could they mess it up that much is beyond me. I really like the game otherwise but honestly, I've never played a game with worse vehicle controls, ever.

Have you tried the TracIR system that ArmA supports? Clears that problem right up. Unless they had gone this way, the TracIR system never would have worked.

Have you tried the TracIR system that ArmA supports?  Clears that problem right up.  Unless they had gone this way, the TracIR system never would have worked.

Nah, I haven't. I could be wrong but I think majority of OFP/ArmA players only use mouse and keyboard to play the game so controls being as they are right now is a big problem IMO. The old system of vehicle control although not perfect was pretty good. In ArmA, controlling vehicles annoys me to the point that I don't use vehicles unless I really have to while in OFP I actually enjoyed driving around.

Very disappointed it won't be fixed in ArmA. Hopefully they will do something about it in ArmA2.

Quote[/b] ]Nah, I haven't. I could be wrong but I think majority of OFP/ArmA players only use mouse and keyboard to play the game so controls being as they are right now is a big problem IMO. The old system of vehicle control although not perfect was pretty good. In ArmA, controlling vehicles annoys me to the point that I don't use vehicles unless I really have to while in OFP I actually enjoyed driving around.

Very disappointed it won't be fixed in ArmA. Hopefully they will do something about it in ArmA2.

Imo it is among the biggest flaws on the Arma-list and I can certainly agree with you 100 percent as I feel exactly the same way whenever I enter a vehicle. The controls for keyboard+mouse are simply broken, no matter what the technical mumbo-jumbo behind all this may be. For me it´s broken and it makes flying+driving a pain in th a**.

Of course it´s cool to have new support for TrackIR and such but seriously, how many Arma users do have such an expensive system in use ? I guess this doesn´t justify the limitations for the majority of Arma players who don´t own such.

I had hopes that BIS would actually fix that or offer an alternative, selectable in options, but now that Suma has stated that it most likely will not be fixed at all with Arma and only possibly with Arma 2 I have lost a big part of my trust in BIS.

It´s a big problem, it makes the game hard to interact with and it´s taking away a lot of fun and on the other hand creates a lot of frustration.

I would have hoped for a more convinient solution than the one offered by BIS for now and I guess I´m not alone.

I am disappointed about the dead-end feeling ArmA gives me.

Now with the support phase virtual ending and so much open issues.

Somehow I expected ArmA to be maturing over a much longer time. With upgrade packs (like Resistance) and patches alongside on a regular basis.

I am sad there is no smooth progression but only big leaps every 2-4 years with nasty compatibility issues every time.

I will make sure the next game has everything working well/server&such released before I pull out money. Because I can't rely on the developers to fix it soon, what I (sillily?) hoped they would. Reading some statements in the QG thread, I have the impression quite a lot of the community changed they awareness in this regard.

Hearing about the upcoming ARMA2 is a bit of a slap in the face when despite a lot of enhancements from OFP, ARMA is very disappointing in so many respects. The control issues including supporting only one controller, inability to use dual cores and incredibly poor sound effects and lack of variety in civilans are my biggest beefs. Other issues like AI, annoying single player missions and the ease at which people can exploit online bug me. The textures are totally amazing and graphics are fantastic. But despite all the graphics enhancements in ARMA and great animations, OFP felt a lot less clumsy and is far more immersive and enjoyable.

Expecting users to put their faith in ARMA2 after ARMA is a big ask. Please amaze us with ARMA2.