Sign in to follow this  
W0lle

ArmA is just ... disappointing

I installed the latest forceware (162.50) and Rivatuner and under Direct3d settings then in the Vsync tab, you change the "Prerender Limit" to 0 (mine was on 3) and performance has improved quite a bit. I still experience some input lag, but not as much as before. Thanks for the tips Madmatt

hello, I suggest you to reinstal your game or whole operating system. you may also try to check virtual memory or defragment your disc drive.

and btw: the topic is "ArmA is just disappointing" not "Troubleshooting". I don't know why moderators allow this thread here. maybe they have enaugh complains about ArmA...? smile_o.gif

Hello Sash! Yes, same thing here; too much lag. I've got the 6600 duals, 2 gig of ram and a ok ati card, cannot run Arma.

BTW Sash, remember us taking snap shots of each other doing flybys upside down in the A-10?? Got pretty low there a few times; the good days of OFP.

While we appreciate all the input and suggestions, some discussions are more appropriate for the Troubleshooting section than in this thread, thanks. wink_o.gif

Hello Sash! Yes, same thing here; too much lag. I've got the 6600 duals, 2 gig of ram and a ok ati card, cannot run Arma.

BTW Sash, remember us taking snap shots of each other doing flybys upside down in the A-10?? Got pretty low there a few times; the good days of OFP.

Hehe wow, blast from the past! Yeah how could I forget those times?! biggrin_o.gif

You ever play online anymore? I recently started playing ArmA online. We should meet up on the battlefield again sometime! pistols.gif

And to keep with the topic :

I'm disappointed with the targetting system, compared to what it was in OFP... Just locate your target and assign it with right mouse button. Now there isnt a cursor anymore and you have to press space to 'freelook' around while blindly clicking, hoping to select your desired target, unless I'm missing something?

any coments to my post at page 48? what do you think about it? do you experience the same bugs/feelings?

Shashman, I hope you exhausted your thread and now enjoying OFP together with your friend...

any coments to my post at page 48? what do you think about it? do you experience the same bugs/feelings?

Shashman, I hope you exhausted your thread and now enjoying OFP together with your friend...

Many of your complaints are valid. However many seem to pertain specificly to user created maps such as Evolution.

Seperate your dissapointment of BIS issues and Evo issues into the 2 threads that deal with each topic.

Mixing them takes away from the good points you make.

game shops know me as the real ofp fanatic

well i got to say the only change   thats been made  between ofp and  arma are the grafics

there is  no real game beside a CTF or DM C&H  that are completly unfiinished even those made by the devs

its a  simulation of army but there is no  real instrument working

ET: quake wars even wolvnstein works like a  complete multiple  batailon  instrument

in arma u got to play ctf and then sometimes  the sound when u take the flag doesnt work

where is the realism u intend in your game  playing CTF

really lack of objectives and and these realism factors

its not cuz the game looks like watching  bbc worldwide with war news for someone with glasses that its looks realistic to me

there should be  multiplayer scenarios

i hope to see mmo factors in this game cuz why  having so huge map if  there only  been used  1square km of it for a ctf

and the new expantion all i hear about is a laughter havin some rabits  running on the plains with that mofication u guys doing i only see stpid mp games la  hunt the rabbit the one that has the most score  becomes master hunter **** please

its allready crowd by  coops

u cant find neither  start a ctf with out the  mass cheaters

so untill i dont see any change  realistic gamestyle no ctf and all that unrealistic doing

u see me on ET QW and ye devs check the game out plz u might get some  inspiration out of it

and with the  engine u guys running u might maybe  have 5 % of the content that ET QW has so whats top technologie  it aint  arma anymore  norr ofp it get  old the only thing that can make u proud is maybe u bank account  with all the retail boxes but most part all leave with the same opinion as me

and i dont wanna hear  another fan saying it aint tru  cuz i  will start thinking u paid   by bis to calm the mob and persuade players keep playing it

anyway i know no arma fan *** will agree  and see what it has brought u bis they like to fool on the  baby editor for nubs but they scared to get rolled in a fight  versus players  that doesnt even looks  like something  great u guys need a  new advisor and inspirator ..im available for 2000$ a month u got my mail  if u want succes before and years after rellease for some mass warfare like irl in a game none solo but in MP

gl  u know where to find me

ps :its not cuz a comunity says so that the worlds says ...so im with world

u guys making games to   be the best ...or to make the game for your comunity and let them destroy it whith them silly short thinking ideas

and no i dont want  bf style games norr CSS i want arma but not like  arma i know now

Could someone translate that, please?  huh.gif

He says he sells succes for 2000$ a month. biggrin_o.gif

...and you must be tempted.

Anyways, to add my 2 cents and not to repeat all the whisdom spilled over this thread I'll add that I see ArmA as no improvement (yet) in relationship towards OFP, in many segments quite contrary.

im glad they have improved on ofp's limitations etc like tank commander being able to shoot, swimming etc

But im pissed they kept the BS AI bush shooting skill and smoke nades dont block their vision ether. Also locking onto a target with choppers is a bit harder without a x-hair. :S

Next spammer gets +2 WL and a months PR.

Is that clear enough - Shashman, funkee, ofpforum - I'm talking specifically to you.

This topic is here for a reason - it's not a joke thread for you to post idiotic musings in. mad_o.gif

im glad they have improved on ofp's limitations etc like tank commander being able to shoot,

Maybe a minor thing, but i expected two MGs ontop of the turret being able to fire. I was reminded of this after seeing a VBS2 video. Just another limitation were forced to accept even though its not realy a limitation anymore... confused_o.gif

First off, It's been a long time since I posted here, loved OFP. The guys at Bohemia Interactive are truly talented. I just recently picked up ArmA US version. I love it for the same reasons I loved the original years ago. It's a proven great game concept.

The only real problem I have with the game is this:

I have a purpose built gaming machine (albeit not top of the line) with an Intel Quad core Extreme cpu, dual 8800 GTSs (640 mb) running in SLI, 2 gigs of corsair Dominator ram (DDR2/800), running Vista32 and DX10, and all the latest patches and updates for software and hardware.  My framerates are just...... poor. They jump from 75fps to well under 30fps depending on the action. And no matter what in game settings I change, I still get sub par results. My PC screams through every game I own, and that's with max settings.  But I when I play ArmA, it's like a cpu/gpu stress test.  Even the opening scenes of the island (as the camera pans over the landscape), my framerate jumps all over the place.

Now don't get me wrong, I know it's a trade off. There is a ton of great things about this game, and I'm sure I'll see some marginal performance increase with the release of various patches and drivers. Also theres more to do in the tweaking department on my end, but I'm still disappointed.    

I remember all the tweaking, and editing configs, and upgrading components I had to do to get the original OFP running smooth and at a constant framerate years ago.  I really don't want to go through that headache again. I guess I'll have too.

Multiplayer Co-opbugs:

If your squad AI memeber is your pilot and you are pessenger then be prepare to die painfully. Your AI pilot won't land where you've pointed on the map (Right Shift+map click). Rather it will keep flying in the enemy territory. banghead.gif

Don't assign an AI squad member as your tank commander. They may skip a T-72 tank => death banghead.gif

Destroyed vehciles should be able to respawn. Rather they are marked as damaged on the map (even choppers) banghead.gif

Enemy Kamov will fly over you and won't say a single thing unless you shoot at it.  banghead.gif

AI enemy soldiers can find you even you're behind the bushes.

banghead.gif

Enemy Su-34 does a little too much aerobatics. Shoot us damit!

Your AI squad members don't shoot on target beyond 250m (less than max range of many assualt weapon) even though they are asked to "engage at will".

No chaff and flares in planes from Bohemia!  mad_o.gif

Why do enemy soldiers respawn if radio tower is not destroyed? Why don't they come in Mi-8? banghead.gif

No Mi-8 in action banghead.gif

@Foxtrot

Those are all matters pertaining to the Evolution mission by KilJoy, and are purely a matter of mission design. Just a head's up smile_o.gif

Regards,

Wolfrug

@metalslug

The problem just might be that you're running Vista which is not officially supported by the game... icon_rolleyes.gif

Eek, Foxtrot most of what you've written there has nothing to do with the actual game, just how one particular mission was made. You're better of going into the custom missions section and listing complaints there. Only exceptions are the AI probs you mentioned, such as the pinpoint accuracy shooting through bushes and the ropey landing/targeting skills. Though I must warn you, prepare to be ridiculed if you're relying on your AI to fly you, if you're playing Evolution you're better off learning to fly yourself or waiting for someone to give you a lift... wink_o.gif

My main gripe is the AI.. They are simply shockingly bad at times. There are many more, but don't have time to go into it..

Example...

Ok, we've landed in our blackhawk about 20 meters from the waterline.. get out and dismount the ai.. Set formation.

Set AI to return to formation..

Damnit...Return to formation...

NO... dont go for a f*****g swim in the bl***y water and lose all your gear.. Get out and RETURN TO FORMATION.. AAAGHHHH.

Repeat ad nauseum. banghead.gif

They also have a tendency to wreck vehicles by trying to drive through trees.. Yeah nice one.

Their accuracy is ridiculously good at times - though this isnt a massive issue for me.

They have difficulty navigating around some objects or buildings - Big problem especially in CTI.

Suggestion...

Can we maybe have a toggle for our AI units so we can set them to be able to go through water or not - via radio command maybe (default - NOT ABLE)? It seems that since we can now go across water (since OFP) the AI see it as a perfectly reasonable route to be able to take - with the stupidly inevitable consequence that they lose all their gear.

Aaagh...

#C

Hehe, I can see why there aren't any rivers on Sahrani... biggrin_o.gif

Thing is most of the AI was developed on the basis of the original OFP environments, which were nice big open fields and whatnot. Nothing complicated like bridges, large towns, swimming etc to get in their way.

Now what BIS has done is introduce all these things and adapted the AI to fit them, with some rather peculiar results. I'm not sure if a lot of this stuff is even fixable without rewriting some of the core foundations of the engine (not just the AI), I'm assuming it is and I'm assuming it can only get better.. xmas_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]Ok, we've landed in our blackhawk about 20 meters from the waterline.. get out and dismount the ai.. Set formation.

Set AI to return to formation..

Damnit...Return to formation...

They do just what you tell them. They return to formation. It´s not their fault if you are not able to select an appropriate formation first.

User error, not game bug.