Sign in to follow this  
W0lle

ArmA is just ... disappointing

It's getting harder and harder for me to keep liking ArmA.

Mostly because of the lag.

I can play BF2 and BF2142 on Medium/High settings but as soon as a load up a mission with more than 4 squads in ArmA I get mad lag even on very low settings and don't even remind me of trying to fight in a city.

It feels a lot more clumsier than OFP.

You can't jump!

[this] addaction ["Jump","jump.sqs"]

jumping1 = [];

Jump.sqs

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">

_p = _this select 0

?(_p in jumping1): goto "Cant"

jumping1 = jumping1 + _p

_i = 5

#Jump

?(_i == 0): goto "Finish"

_i = _i - 1

_p setpos [(getpos _p select 0),(getpos _p select 1),(getpos _p select 2) +0.1]

~.1

goto "Jump"

#Cant

hint "You cannot jump now."

exit

#Finish

~1

jumping1 = jumping1 - _p

exit

You could add a fancy playmove/switchmove to make it more legit then you flying up while moving/standing still, and you could do a check so others can't make you jump. (Run the script privately to the player online if in MP.)

Also, ArmA is great, fix a few bugs, and we're rocking. Don't like the Ai? Fine don't play against it, play a Coop VS. Two teams working cooperatively in a 5KM zone, on foot, nothing beats it.

i've used that script it usually ends up killing me from the jumping

ROFL, kind've off topic, but how? (Spose it could be a 'dissapointing fact of ArmA' rofl.gif

I think its not an argument over what the engine/game has to offer.. its Realistic Gameplay Vs. Arcade gameplay. It's just your style.

HUH? A trained soldier that can't jump over a pickett fence or sand bag, can't shoot or throw nades/c4 out of a chopper. yeah I forgot that's in the arcade version.

where exactly is the realistic game play? that must be in all those buildings you can enter. In a city of hundreds of buildings you can enter what, three mabey,four. It doesn't matter cause as soon as your indoors you get shot in the eye bye that realistic AI who spun around two blocks away saw you through a stained window on the third floor three rooms deep in the dark behind a door, One shot at light speed..

That realistic game play could be hidden in that tight urban combat where you just ran out of ammo and you go to strike your opponent with the butt of your gun or run him thru with your bayonnet, O sorry thats the arcade version.

That realistic game play is painfully obvious when attempting to climb ladders and enter/exit vehicles, btw don't attempt that while under fire, surley you will get shot in the eye.

The AI radio voices are for real, I heard them my self when I called dell customer support,Must be where the vets of arma find employement when they retire.

The one realistic thing that's my personal fav in arma is the way you can walk or run with binocs or a laser marker in your hand,If you don't have any weapon's on you that is. Its just like when I throw my AR over my shoulder and look thru my binocs at the range, amazing how I can't move, I have to put my AR down before I can go change my targets...amazing how realistic it is. And wouldn't you know, Its like someone was there recording my 223 while I was actually shooting it wow ! Have you ever heard a firearm being used in real life?

It sounds to me like BI used a jiffy pop machine to get some of thier audio.

aaahhhhh the way those tanks bounce up and down for no freakin reason,looks like actual combat footage doesn't it?

and I would be remiss if I didn't give a shout out to the bananna song! wish they made that one as a ring tone, I forget it wouldn't be very realistic if someone got fraged, that never happen's in real life.. But that's they beauty of arma we can fix this stuff with a simple script right EMC2;x21=suck=true;enter this in your ini line...opps it won't work unless the server has it to and its a full moon and you face meca while surroundingr the whole thing with a trigger.

Please save the "ITS a SIM not ARCADE" bs!

apparently if you want the SIM from BI the basic disk is 1500.00 usd ,that dosen't include the add ons at what 250 or so a disc. hey but they will sell you the original version for with all add ons for about 600.00usd check it out,its called

VBS2. so spare me please!

The fact that I spend more time and have more fun on this forum is proof enough that this game aint all that! at least the "arcade" games I spent my time playin and not flaming them!

Here's a reality check for ya, Its 43 to 11 go figure?

I play BF2 because its more fun than Arma, the fog issue really irritates me and it seems like all the servers are running evolution which I think sucks, I dont want to spend 4 hours trying to climb the ranks everytime I join a server, would be much better if Arma had stats like BF2 and so your ranking was held but also gave access to different vehicles because noobs can use them in BF2 which also sucks.

Overall Arma has been a big disappointed for me, I was so looking forward to this game and though I would spend years playing it but all I've done is a couple of month of testing/tweaking and hardly played it online at all, maybe I will come back to it in a year or so when there is plenty of coop missions to play but the dream of huge mp battles is lost.

sad_o.gif

Hate the AI they dont' shoot barely at all and when they do the first shot will hit you and kill you. OFP they at least shot more and missed. That's mainly what I don't like in ArmA it changes the immersiveness a lot.

No female civilians? That is a big let down. I want to shoot women.

Yeah. You sound like SexCheese at ArmedAssault.net. Proactively searching out poor-taste mods for who-knows-what.

You know why I hate ArmA today?

ArmA Used for Islamic Fundamentalist Propaganda

Welcome to ArmA: The Jihadist Version.  banghead.gif

*lol*, you can't really blame ArmA for that.

America's Army trains with VBS2, Taliban can only afford ArmA.

Guest Ti0n3r
Quote[/b] ]Welcome to ArmA: The Jihadist Version.

Omg, you feel insulted by that crap!? rofl.gif

Edit; and calling that propaganda is just fucking stupid.

@SappShrot

How many Arab/Muslim killing videos have you seen VBS1/2 used for?

In a way you can, the mod community needs to show restraint when designing mods aka Arab/Insurgent mods. It's just piss-poor taste.

@Tion3r

I'm not insulted by that. I'm disgusted the game is used for this purpose. As should you.

Guest Ti0n3r

What purpose? Creating crappy vids? Cause, I see nothing political or religious in that vid. (I don't think screaming 'God is great' counts really).

I don't really give a damn. All I see is some retarded video with armed civies killing US soldiers. There will always be people who make poor videos and then post them on youtube. No big deal for me.

Cause, I see nothing political or religious in that vid. (I don't think screaming 'God is great' counts really).

You've gotta be kidding me. icon_rolleyes.gif

No female civilians? That is a big let down. I want to shoot women.

Yeah. You sound like SexCheese at ArmedAssault.net. Proactively searching out poor-taste mods for who-knows-what.

You know why I hate ArmA today?

ArmA Used for Islamic Fundamentalist Propaganda

Welcome to ArmA: The Jihadist Version.  banghead.gif

That is a reason to hate ArmA? I can make a mod/video where children are raped in ArmA, but thats not ArmA's fault.

About the vid itself: I think the author did a pretty good job on capturing and recreating the 'feeling' of such video's. Also i dont see why a video where arab's are killed is 'ok' while a video where US soldiers are killed is 'disgusting'.

Why thank you Mr sphere! I was feelin that rant.

I almost forgot The exclusion of the "shot gun" In arma. what armed force would have a shot gun,pump or semi in thier arsenal? But I do have pretty colored smoke grenades that just help the AI shoot me in the eye! If I drive a truck next to a battle damaged vehicle. get out and do a dance while painting a crop circle the vehicle repairs itself. wow,thats's keep'n it real. you just would'nt find that type of immersion in an "arcade" game. you know the one where you jump out of the vehicle if you survive. take your magic wrench out to fix the damage, how arcade is that? Yeah man flash suppressors on all the AR's that don't hide the flash, sweet! There's more reality fact's in arma,help me out what else am I forgeting.

Team America F yeah! ALLLAHH ALAH LALALALAduk duk!

btw 44 to 11 pistols.gif

Also i dont see why a video where arab's are killed is 'ok' while a video where US soldiers are killed is 'disgusting'.

I didn't say that. Nobody else did either. wink_o.gif It's not.

I guess it's not ArmA's fault, but it is disappointing that ArmA was used.

@SappShrot

In a way you can, the mod community needs to show restraint when designing mods aka Arab/Insurgent mods. It's just piss-poor taste.

@Tion3r

I'm not insulted by that. I'm disgusted the game is used for this purpose. As should you.

I can't believe you can actually take it so personally. I think the video was well made and I don't see what's so disgusting in it compared to what happens when you actually play the game yourself. The same guerilla (nowadays called "terrorist") tactics apply in ArmA missions, direct combat is avoided if staying hidden is more effective.

What would you change in the video so that it would be tasteful and proper to you? Perhaps insurgents being killed instead of Americans?

@SappShrot

@Tion3r

I can't believe you can actually take it so personally. I think the video was well made and I don't see what's so disgusting in it compared to what happens when you actually play the game yourself. The same guerilla (nowadays called "terrorist") tactics apply in ArmA missions, direct combat is avoided if staying hidden is more effective.

What would you change in the video so that it would be tasteful and proper to you? Perhaps insurgents being killed instead of Americans?

Dont be retarded.

Imagine the shitstorm if one of us(from Western aligned countries) made a video killing a whole bunch of 'middle-eastern' people.

I mean, combat is one thing, executing prisoners while mimicking a present day conflict and real-life video, is just piss-poor taste all around.

For the record, I posted the same kind of comment to the guy who made a remake of the Apache taking out 'Insurgents' in the field. Piss-poor taste as well.

Be careful about condoning this kind of thing, because once you make this stuff fair game, it'll spin out of control.

It's definitely creepy.

Dont be retarded.

I'm sorry, I was born like this.

Imagine the shitstorm if one of us(from Western aligned countries) made a video killing a whole bunch of 'middle-eastern' people.

The movie biz is full of arab killing and I don't see any shitstorm clouds.

I mean, combat is one thing, executing prisoners while mimicking a present day conflict and real-life video, is just piss-poor taste all around.

For the record, I posted the same kind of comment to the guy who made a remake of the Apache taking out 'Insurgents' in the field. Piss-poor taste as well.

So you don't like certain themes in videos and declare that they are done in poor taste, a grounds for not releasing them at all. How does their existence make your life miserable other than wasting a few minutes of precious lifetime?

Be careful about condoning this kind of thing, because once you make this stuff fair game, it'll spin out of control.

It's definitely creepy.

While I'm flattered that my condoning of "this kind of thing" would make a difference, I'm happy to say that freedom of speech and expression do that for me. If a thing on a video didn't happen for real, it's art if you want to call it that, and art's purpose is to create feelings and I guess it succeeded in your case. In my opinion it was a very nicely made "propaganda" video. There's a difference between real propaganda and a depiction of it you know.

An excerpt of your text in the comment section of the video:

Quote[/b] ]You've polluted our fucking Armed Assault with this shit. It's about combat, not mimicking present-day grotesqueness. If you want to see the true reciprocation of how bad it can be...keep this shit up. I'll personally show you a 'real' video of the reciprocation of hostile forces against 'your' side.

Armed Assault is about whatever you modify it to do. Your statement only shows that you need to train your 6th sense, the sense of humor.

What's the worst that can happen when a "piss-poor taste" video like that is not banned like you would want it?

They All say that Battlefield 2 "sucks" compared to Arma.

Here's the Competition -

Battlefield 2 -

sounds - As Real as you can get.

Setting - Around 2010, USMC vs MEC (Middle East Coalition) and PLA (China)

Weapons - Real Weapons, Awesome.

Reloading in a heli or jet by going over the Carrier or airfield.

Effects - Extremely Good

Voices - Realistic

AI - Just OK, Not made for single-player though.

Graphics - Top Notch

Islands/Maps - 40+ Maps in all size's for all computers.

Arma -

Sounds - High-pitched, Unrealistic, Disappointing, All From OFP.

Setting - 2007?, US Forces VS SLA (Sometimes RACS)

Weapons - Real Weapons, Pretty good, But the loading sounds are way off... duh!!

You need to land in a jet or heli to reload, This stinks because if there's no ammo truck your screwed.

Effects - Depends on what you shoot, Just OK.

Voices - extremely annoying, Very slow, Oh.....No....Two....is....Down!

AI - Stupid....

Graphics - Pretty good

Islands/Maps - 1 huge island that lag's really bad, and 1 small one that lags more than the bigger one....

There you go, I think you know who the winner is.

(I Do like both games so don't say "your just saying all the good stuff about BF2 because you like it" - Well, they are all facts up there aren't they?.) smile_o.gif

I have not the slightest idea what you're trying to achieve here.

I mean, apart from the briliant idea to compare an arcadish shooter to one with an emphasis on simulation, which is a doubtful thing to do anyway, it just shows that you're about as objective as a Sony CEO.

I'll give you that most of the sounds in ArmA are pretty bad, the rest of your comparisons imho ranges between arguable, oppinion and downright stupid.

You want examples?

-Ok, it's a bad thing you have to land in ArmA to rearm, but good if you don't have to like in BF2? Yeah, that surely would have improved ArmA a lot and made it so much more realistic!

-The weapons in BF2 sure are a big achievement in simulating real weapons, yeah. ArmA would be so much better if we only allow low distance fights, we don't want to shoot further than 200-500m, where the realism enhancing fog of the top notch graphics starts, anyway. Oh, and nobody should die before at least three shots to the body are achieved (ok, for a 0.50 caliber, two will do).

-40 maps where you can play conquest and ctf all day long surely beat out a big one where you actually can have *gasp* miriads of objectives to fulfil apart from watching that flag. What did BIS think??

See the problem? You're not looking for something like ArmA, what you want is an arcadish shooter like BF2 (and it's good at that). Play it, be happy and especially don't start writing ridiculous wannabe comparisons that nobody can take serious.

Edit: So, I'll just add further stuff in this post because I don't really like to further highten the postcount of this thread that contains about 80% off-topic talk anyway.

Well i just got "mad" after what i saw on youtube so i put a comparison, also i only play bf2 for like 1-2 hours.... every other day. I also dont "really" see anything realistic, everything was brought from ofp. Dont beleive me? play arma then play ofp and do the same stuff you did .

Your point being? Everything that was in OFP doesn't count as being in ArmA or what?

My point was just that, if you're gonna compare Armed Assault to another game on these boards, then you've got to include elements that enhance realism, and not write things like the land to rearm stuff as a negative point for ArmA and positive for the other game, that doesn't give the other game the slightest advance regarding to what type of game ArmA wants to be.

If you understand that, I'm fine, I have not the slightest problem with the Battlefield series myself, as a matter of fact I've played it for thousands of hours and I really liked it when I did (else I wouldn't play, simple as that.). It's great at what it does, no doubt, but to me it's just too different of a type of game that such a comparison really would make sense.

psycosmos,may I quote
Quote[/b] ]realism enhancing fog of the top notch graphics

What game are you playing? arma is no more or less arcade or sim than bf2. For what its worth bf2 looks just as good and plays awhole lot smoother. I'm baseing that on actual hours of game time with both titles. You can argue that bf2s weapons don,t have the range/takes to many shots to kill,that's fine,but in the same instance its ridculous to say that there isn't any close quarter fighting in real combat either.

The second sentence doesn't make much sense to me, sorry, but whatever floats your boat. I've never said there isn't any close quarter fighting in real combat, what I've said is that you can't have "real" long range combat in BF2 because you look at a wall of fog, which is a negative point in said comparison we were talking about.
Quote[/b] ]

To eliminate hand to hand combat totaly sucks the fun factor right out of the game IMHO.

Lets talk weapons,No shotgun? well that just goes with the no shooting under 300m or what ever, Thats all good, But there's awhole lot of urban enviroment in arma,which = close quarter combat. I don't recall seeing "Sniper Sim" on the box. why can't I enter any buildings? c'mon COH and RO you can enter every building. Those titles are just a bit older.COH has an awsome desructable enviroment! btw just atad bit better than arma, ask anyone here who has played it.,

Yeah, no shotguns (that btw can be modded anyway and, to my knowledge, are against the Geneva Convention in a "proper" war, but it's not like the US likes to care anyway, point given) and no knifing totally eliminates the possibility to engage an enemy below a distance of 300m.

If you missed the point (as it seems), I was talking about a comparison between BF2 and ArmA. RO and COH can do what they want, it just doesn't matter regarding my post.

Quote[/b] ]

So do you think by driving a truck to a damaged vehical and by getting out of said vehicle ,doing a dance while painting a crop circle that magicaly repairs said vehicle is some how more "sim" than using a magic wrench to fix it?

What I said is that it's not a positive point for BF2 that you don't have to land to rearm, like USMC NEEDER wrote, period. I wouldn't have said much if he brought up this, but, as a matter of fact, he didn't.
Quote[/b] ] Having to assume the karate kid stance on a rock pose to get to the menu to choose to climb down the ladder ,after the running around the room annimation is somehow more immersive and some sort of top noch graphic. Compared to just being able to go down the f'n ladder?

Having to point your firearm all over the place to get the "enter" menu to get in a vehicle is some how considered more SIM than just being able to get in in one smooth motion?

Yes, these things imho should be worked on, agreed.
Quote[/b] ]

ITS A GAME that's why its only $40usd not $1500. Take a look at VBS2 if you want "SIM"

If arma is all that then why isn't there 45 pages of people

posting on 'bout how great it is?

I very well know that it is a game. I also know there are limits on how far you can go regarding realism and that a game is supposed to be fun anyway, hence you will have to put further limits on the realism part. Additionaly, I can see that there's a difference between the type of game BF2 is, and the type ArmA is, while you somehow don't. Do you play ArmA like you play BF2? Well, I can see then why you're not having fun...

Also, you realize that this thread contains about 80% off topic talk and the other doesn't even contain near that percentage?

Quote[/b] ]

It seems to me that for all the "real detail" they attempted to add to arma, They droped the ball on the playabilty side of things. I bought this game for just that immersion/detail/online play, it just falls short of the mark for me. Is it just me or is anyone else sick of playing against the AI. Evo is a great mission, But imagine if you could play on either opfor or blufor, then you might turn the fun factor up in this game. Look no matter what ,your fighting the enemy,Be it for a flag/city/radio tower/pow/airstrip whatever,But one thing is for certain the ai cannot take the place of going against other humans and thats one area bf2 wins hands down

Don't even come at me with the whole "arma is so much more real than" cause the last time I checked this plastic box didnt automatically load my clip and this mouse can NEVER replace the feel of trigger squeeze on my AR!

Now we're falling into the oppinion part. Personally I play ArmA in a small community on a passworded server and I'm having loads of fun. Good for me I guess, and no, I'm not getting sick of it at all. As a matter of fact I haven't even reinstalled the game after my OS crapped out on me 2 weeks ago, because I would certainly spend more time gaming than it's good for me, with such nice weather outside and all that. I've also never played Evolution, lucky me.

About the last sentence: Yes, because it's a game, we (should) know.

See, ArmA does have faults, more than enough of them. The same goes for USMC NEEDER's comparison. I can correct the faults in said comparison here, but I can't really do the same for the game. That comparison is what my post was about and nothing more.

Anyway, I'm already stretching my luck by editing this post as this possibly leads to further off topic posts, so let's just all be friends. I'll bring beer, can you bring something to bbq? tounge2.gif

They All say that Battlefield 2 "sucks" compared to Arma.

Here's the Competition -

Battlefield 2 -

sounds - As Real as you can get.

Setting - Around 2010, USMC vs MEC (Middle East Coalition) and PLA (China)

Weapons - Real Weapons, Awesome.

Reloading in a heli or jet by going over the Carrier or airfield.

Effects - Extremely Good

Voices - Realistic

AI - Just OK, Not made for single-player though.

Graphics - Top Notch

Islands/Maps - 40+ Maps in all size's for all computers.

Arma -

Sounds - High-pitched, Unrealistic, Disappointing, All From OFP.

Setting - 2007?, US Forces VS SLA (Sometimes RACS)

Weapons - Real Weapons, Pretty good, But the loading sounds are way off... duh!!

You need to land in a jet or heli to reload, This stinks because if there's no ammo truck your screwed.

Effects - Depends on what you shoot, Just OK.

Voices - extremely annoying, Very slow, Oh.....No....Two....is....Down!

AI - Stupid....

Graphics - Pretty good

Islands/Maps - 1 huge island that lag's really bad, and 1 small one that lags more than the bigger one....

There you go, I think you know who the winner is.

(I Do like both games so don't say "your just saying all the good stuff about BF2 because you like it" - Well, they are all facts up there aren't they?.) smile_o.gif

I have not the slightest idea what you're trying to achieve here.

I mean, apart from the briliant idea to compare an arcadish shooter to one with an emphasis on simulation, which is a doubtful thing to do anyway, it just shows that you're about as objective as a Sony CEO.

I'll give you that most of the sounds in ArmA are pretty bad, the rest of your comparisons imho ranges between arguable, oppinion and downright stupid.

You want examples?

-Ok, it's a bad thing you have to land in ArmA to rearm, but good if you don't have to like in BF2? Yeah, that surely would have improved ArmA a lot and made it so much more realistic!

-The weapons in BF2 sure are a big achievement in simulating real weapons, yeah. ArmA would be so much better if we only allow low distance fights, we don't want to shoot further than 200-500m, where the realism enhancing fog of the top notch graphics starts, anyway. Oh, and nobody should die before at least three shots to the body are achieved (ok, for a 0.50 caliber, two will do).

-40 maps where you can play conquest and ctf all day long surely beat out a big one where you actually can have *gasp* miriads of objectives to fulfil apart from watching that flag. What did BIS think??

See the problem? You're not looking for something like ArmA, what you want is an arcadish shooter like BF2 (and it's good at that). Play it, be happy and especially don't start writing ridiculous wannabe comparisons that nobody can take serious.

Well i just got "mad" after what i saw on youtube so i put a comparison, also i only play bf2 for like 1-2 hours.... every other day. I also dont "really" see anything realistic, everything was brought from ofp. Dont beleive me? play arma then play ofp and do the same stuff you did .

<span style='font-size:17pt;line-height:100%'>Armed Assault</span>

<span style='font-size:11pt;line-height:100%'>The ultimate combat simulation.</span>

Lets start out with some of the things in Arma.

Each section will be devided into three sub-sections.

Starting with subject, followed by human experiance, and then AI interactions with them if at all possible.

<span style='font-size:11pt;line-height:100%'>1: Buildings</span>

Human:

Nice, doesn't create as much lag as they would have done if they were in another game. And they could be used for cover, and or taking better firing positions on your enemy.

AI:

These poor fellows doesn't know how to go around them most of the time when travelling by helicopters, and or sometimes vehicles.

Helicopters crash right into them, vehicles finds a sweet pixel they want to interact with and gets stuck.

Especially difficult to pass are the added fences and things which are added to the game for reality feelings.

[edit]i.e. soldiers will have difficulties passing these fences. [/edit]

Not to mention that the script added building types are treated like "friendlies" and can not be shot over.

Houses with ladders.

AI can't be bothered to get over the edge of the ladder, instead they are stuck in the "climb ladder" animation on the last "step"

Take the guard towers and the like, the AI standing on those in the campaign and etc are "setPos:d" there.

<span style='font-size:11pt;line-height:100%'>2: Roads</span>

Human:

A neat detail is that your vehicle will go faster or slower depending on what surface they are driving on.

Dust roads are slower than regular asphalt roads.

They tend to be a bit slippery, but thats a matter of game physics, more about that later.

AI:

As long as they find a route to where they are supposed to drive, AI works ok with roads when driving an wheeled vehicle, only "ok" as AI tend to swirl out of the roads sometimes, even if the road is straight and nobody is near.

Don't get me started on the pathing, because thats where the AI truly fails...

<span style='font-size:11pt;line-height:100%'>3: Terrain</span>

Human:

Added reality feeling with grass, more bushes and more dense forests.

Some trees you can shoot through, as you could in RL, some you can not, I dunno why.

AI:

It doesn't care about trees, nor does it care about grass.

They uses their "Super Man"-powers and sees right through them.

And kill you the stupid human accordingly.

Not that they seem to care about rocks either.

Fog and bad weather isn't a problem for them either.

AI live in a world with no fog or rain.

Same goes with night, its day in AI-land 24/7 too.

They don't need NVG's to see at night, using them would blind them as its sunny...

<span style='font-size:11pt;line-height:100%'>4: Vehicles</span>

Human:

Cars could go a bit faster, but that’s ok.

The feeling when driving them however is far from good.

And I fell of the chair laughing, when I tried one of those motorbikes out.

As the Arma world is a bit "edgy" the cars jump around on the roads, it seems none of the cars in Arma has any kind of suspension either, but are instead stiff like a go-kart.

The lack of physics in this game would explain that.

Helicopters, it’s nice that they behave according to their size and etc.

Airplanes. LoL?

Tanks, its ok, the UI when commanding them when populated by AI could be better tho'

AI:

As long as the AI has to drive from place A to place B without passing any obstacles its ok, same goes with helicopters.

However you can not set the AI to drive their cars anything faster than in "grandma speed".

Now if you thought that the AI pilots could fly their helicopters below 30 feet you are greatly mistaken.

Why? Because they don't see trees remember? And not even the hill west of Corazol as obstacles which could damage or even destroy the helicopter they are flying.

So if you want them to fly as you want them too, you need to script them.

Tanks, oh the pure joy of seeing them driving through confined spaces such as towns, with the gun stuck in an doorway of an house, trying to drive down the house, which they utterly fail at whilst trying. Sometimes they even turn over, and the crew disembark.

<span style='font-size:11pt;line-height:100%'>5: Guns</span>

Human:

The AIM point is not close to RL behaviour, I do not know how the M4 version works, but I would be surprised if it differs from the AK4B Aim point.

But where's my artillery?

I can not be a good infantry man if I can not get to be cannon fodder one way or the other!

Where’s my ballistics, where are they?

Sure, the scripters tries to "fake" all of this, but why isn't it a part of the game to begin with?

AI:

You define how far the AI could shoot with their iron-sights and how far they can see by using the AI skill slider in the settings.

Even if you turn it down to 0.0 the AI would one shot you with his AK74 iron sights 250+ meters away.

Having its origins from the AK47 which was a "carry able machine gun" this would seem rather impossible.

<span style='font-size:11pt;line-height:100%'>6: Missions</span>

Human:

Ye, the campaign.

The MP missions are etc are as OFP done by the community.

Rely on such factors will sooner or later snap back at the developers, not in particular BIS, but you know what I mean.

AI:

n/a

For me, Arma is an "upped" OFP.

Not that it added much more than some hot graphics, but still its OFP. And I could write four pages how much I like the graphics, the motion captured movements of the characters.

BUT, as we all know.

Beauty comes from the INSIDE!

I've played many "pretty" games, but they didn't add much value and or they generally sucked, so I put them on the shelf and forgot all about them.

As the graphic engine has been enhanced the missing physics aren't noticed as much as in OFP when the world was even "edgier"

Same AI, same voices, some added scripting commands.

Still no artillery, still no ballistics...

Armed Assault is a good game, and would be a great one if BIS sorted the AI out.

And I would be surprised if BIS sold one copy of that "government simulation" they are developing alongside this game(wonder what is financing all that, might it be a game? ), if the AI is as stupid/not working in that program.

Please BIS, fix the AI, you know that some guys are actually scripting everything they want the AI to do in their missions?

From driving to picking flowers?

The only thing they need is a puppet which acts as an character. And that puppet comes in p3d format.

And finally.

IT IS NOT an SIMULATION.

It doesn't simulate anything besides a small fraction of the infantry combat.

Perhaps my definition of simulations is by others off, but IMHO Arma does not fit into this category.

So what about?

<span style='font-size:17pt;line-height:100%'>Armed Assault</span>

<span style='font-size:11pt;line-height:100%'>The ultimate combat game.</span>

(they should refrain of using ultimate tho’ if they are to make Arma 2)

<span style='color:red'>ArmaVidz, Ti0n3r, Celery and everyone else involved - you KNOW what this thread is for and I'll give you credit with enough intelligence to know your comments are completely offtopic and spam in relation to this thread.

NEXT PERSON I NEED TO WARN ABOUT ANYTHING IN THIS THREAD WILL GET A WEEKS PR, OR MORE

We have this thread here as a courtesy to the community to let them voice genuine complaints, not as a sandbox for children to wrestle in.</span>

psycosmos,may I quote

realism enhancing fog of the top notch graphics

What game are you playing? arma is no more or less arcade or sim than bf2. For what its worth bf2 looks just as good and plays awhole lot smoother. I'm baseing that on actual hours of game time with both titles. You can argue that bf2s weapons don,t have the range/takes to many shots to kill,that's fine,but in the same instance its ridculous to say that there isn't any close quarter fighting in real combat either.

To eliminate hand to hand combat totaly sucks the fun factor right out of the game IMHO.

Lets talk weapons,No shotgun? well that just goes with the no shooting under 300m or what ever, Thats all good, But there's awhole lot of urban enviroment in arma,which = close quarter combat. I don't recall seeing "Sniper Sim" on the box. why can't I enter any buildings? c'mon COH and RO you can enter every building. Those titles are just a bit older.COH has an awsome desructable enviroment! btw just atad bit better than arma, ask anyone here who has played it.,

So do you think by driving a truck to a damaged vehical and by getting out of said vehicle ,doing a dance while painting a crop circle that magicaly repairs said vehicle is some how more "sim" than using a magic wrench to fix it? Having to assume the karate kid stance on a rock pose to get to the menu to choose to climb down the ladder ,after the running around the room annimation is somehow more immersive and some sort of top noch graphic. Compared to just being able to go down the f'n ladder?

Having to point your firearm all over the place to get the "enter" menu to get in a vehicle is some how considered more SIM than just being able to get in in one smooth motion?

ITS A GAME that's why its only $40usd not $1500. Take a look at VBS2 if you want "SIM"

If arma is all that then why isn't there 45 pages of people

posting on 'bout how great it is?

It seems to me that for all the "real detail" they attempted to add to arma, They droped the ball on the playabilty side of things. I bought this game for just that immersion/detail/online play, it just falls short of the mark for me. Is it just me or is anyone else sick of playing against the AI. Evo is a great mission, But imagine if you could play on either opfor or blufor, then you might turn the fun factor up in this game. Look no matter what ,your fighting the enemy,Be it for a flag/city/radio tower/pow/airstrip whatever,But one thing is for certain the ai cannot take the place of going against other humans and thats one area bf2 wins hands down

Don't even come at me with the whole "arma is so much more real than" cause the last time I checked this plastic box didnt automatically load my clip and this mouse can NEVER replace the feel of trigger squeeze on my AR!

I think its not an argument over what the engine/game has to offer.. its Realistic Gameplay Vs. Arcade gameplay. It's just your style.

The same people probably don't like CS, or unreal tournament.. This is because of their arcade type gameplay opposed to realistic simulation. I am one of these people.

FPS's should be more than point-click-shoot.

Yeah but it also sucks that it has to be black or white.

For me Arma is the exact contrary of Quake 3.

For example Bf2 is also something in between but looking more at Quake 3

I would rather have something in between looking more at Arma like OFp was.

They just force it too much going the uber realistic way.

Despite the fact that for me it isnt realistic to be clumsy robot in a CQB because adrenalin hits soldier and they act fast, sprinting,they dont do long animations that cost around 4 seconds to aim something cause that will kill you, etc...

And im not gonna discuss that that has change because in OFP aimign and playability was more user friendly and better, cause the lack of CTF servers and matches and maps speaks for itself.

And again im not referring exclusively to Hexenkesell and maps like that.