Sign in to follow this  
W0lle

ArmA is just ... disappointing

I have to say that this topic is absurd. This thread, I assume was put up as a tool for BIS to get a feel for how the "Dissapointed" community feels and why.

But I see (constructive or not) about 30% of the comments are on topic. 40% is "off topic" defense. 25% is pointless and 5% is tech support.

I dont see people with ArmA issues going to the "ArmA is awesome" Thread and arguing with the peple that say so.

I have no idea why the Moderators dont delete any posts that have nothing to do with this topic. If BIS does really use this as a tool, its too bad they have to waist their time reading 70% crap to get the info they want. This thread isnt a tool anymore, its a pissing contest.

Agreed, some of the comments do really belong in the Awesome thread.

I can understand being disappointed with the campagin, or accuracy of the modelling textures, bugs, armour ratios or lack options in the game and so forth.

But if someone is disappointed for a reason that is not really the Game's fault and is more to do with their PC, then i think that it's not unreasonable for the other members of the community to try and shed a little light on what the real issue that's causing the distress with the game might be.

The game is far from perfect but need people to take time to enquiry if they are able to solve technical problems that are causing them untold grief.

Funny how anything that the forum gods like is just ignored while swatting the "whiners" like flies on....

Then again how can you enforce the rules you break.

So for the next person who gets lost and wanders in here oblivious to the concept of the thread.

Click here then begin your reply.

As to follow the "rules" and submit something on-topic.

I'm very disappointed with some of the problems that players are having with the Atari copy. This is not BIS issue..there I said it so don't get your panties in a bunch.

Two people I played OFP with often have given up because the fixed .exe that was released was for 1.06.

I don't even understand what the problem is...so I'm disappointed two more friends have written off BIS and ArmA for now. sad_o.gif

Funny how anything that the forum gods like is just ignored while swatting the "whiners" like flies on....

Then again how can you enforce the rules you break.

+1 WL & 48 hr PR for publically commenting on how the forum is moderated.

Next.

Seriously, everyone needs to drop this fanboy/whiners stupidity NOW! Is it really so hard for people do disagree on things without resorting to childish namecalling?

I am also sick of a select core of forum troublemakers constantly complaining about "unfair moderation" when things don't go 100% as they would like them to. If the forums are so horrible, you are all free to leave at any time. Go start your own OFP forum, then you can discover what a "joy" being a forum moderator can be. icon_rolleyes.gif

By constantly challenging the moderators, especially in public (which is clearly against forum rules) you are fast-tracking yourself to a perm ban.

I would really like to have enough faith in our community that you can discuss differing viewpoints without bickering and namecalling like undisciplined toddlers - we really don't enjoy being babysitters...

"But I see (constructive or not) about 30% of the comments are on topic. 40% is "off topic" defense. 25% is pointless and 5% is tech support"

i agree, totally agree

if someone of us will say something like "not awsome" on awsome topic they will make many many post against this opinion

when we say that some things in this game are dissapointing than they start saying "stop this" or that we have no idea about games or we cannot use PC

what is meaning of word DISAPPOINTING - as far as i know this word means - i am not happy with thing i bought, it doesn't fulfill advertised quality and etc.

and in fact ARMA is like that, but when i will say WHY is like that there will be some well known voices like "oh don't tell this once again" "it is only your problem"

OFP was so big revolution in gaming that we expected much more than we get, so back to topic:

- even if PC fulfilled recommendations listed on box in many cases people couldn't play

- althought in some countries it is advertised as most/total realistic battlefield symulator it is not relaistic in many areas and very basic areas like hit/dammage of man units and vehicles

- OFP had camera effects in editor usefull to missionmaking

if i could say about thigs that are "awsome" - graphic quality and beautyfull environment, but this is offtopic here biggrin_o.gif

maybe in othere games there is more beauty environment - i don't know, i don't care, i am not interested in not-realistic games, i prefer war-simulators (omg, if VBS 1/2 was much cheaper and avaliable to the public, not only for army, i would be perfect game),

i think people who played many many OFP or like me ONLY OFP were satisfied even competition of BIS made games that look better

because there was other kind of gamers playing OFP than gamers playing usual (i call it "stupid" shoters game - just run and shoot) RTCW, MOHAA, Stalker, COD2, DOOM, Half Life2, Max Payne2 and etc.

and i think most dissapointing is that we expected another revolution like OFP, personally i expected more complicated dammag/wound effects to soldiers

but i received things like in OFP even with some bugs - like firing from RPG to people, soldiers that cannot hold fire , waste ammo on empty car, or waste AT rockets on other soldiers and when tank is near they don't have anything to shoot,

AI has god knowledge , as in OFP you are spotted and killed by some shots from far distance, to high grass sometimes makes you blind and you die killed by man, that you couln't see because of grass

i was launging when in early OFP soldiers were moving through the wall, well... yesterday i observed the sam in ARMA, base in Obregan on North :/

ARMA is game that has very big possibilities to become best game in the world like it used to be with OFP for few years, but it requires many changes

ARMA is game that has very big possibilities to become best game in the world like it used to be with OFP for few years, but it requires many changes

Or... to undo some of the changes  icon_rolleyes.gif .

As a side note, but totally on-topic  wink_o.gif and unless BIS proves otherwise, I think it is time for the dissapointing feeling to mature, and become final. No big things are going to change in my opinion. So whoever likes ArmA will enjoy it, and the rest could move on and stop asking for things that are not going to happen  confused_o.gif .

Guest Ti0n3r

Got something to rant about...

The mission Counterattack (campaign) is a fucking insult to me. You take out the two shilkas. Marines air support let's you know they're on their way. At the same time the three strykers start to move in on the enemy armor position (2x T72, 1 BMP, 1 BRDM) They get massacred of course. About a minute later two Cobras approach the enemy base and armor position. They both fly at a height less than 50 meters, and get shot down by the tanks before they start to engage them...

Shit shit shit. This is insulting BIS mad_o.gif

the things you wrote about mission are cause by wrong waypoints, synchronization of waypoints in mission editor, so you can make such missions by yourself better

ArmA is getting more and more disappointing for me.

If i start a CTF mission in the evenings it doesnt take long till the player numbers reach the 20, but if that happens, then the cheaters are not far away.

Today was one of the worse days ever.

Every CTF mission got blown up by one guy today.

After banning this one guy, it took 15mins till he came back with new nick and id.

I stopped playing after the 3rd time of blown up buildings on the mission, was watching a film and then i thought: lets see if something is still on at ArmA.

I found a full CTF server and 5mins after i joined and played, guess what happened...a guy with the same nick like the blowup-cheater from before connected and has blown up the buildings again.

Thats really annoying!

Its no longer possible to play any public rounds, cause there is always someone coming to blow up the buildings on the mission.

I see only one chance now and that would be to play on passworded servers, but with that way, we end up with player numbers of 5vs5.

I even have started OFP after all that bad stuff and there were more running CTF and other PvP servers than in ArmA, with full servers and no cheaters.

ArmA got far more cheats now than OFP ever had.

BIS really needs to do something against this cheats or ArmA is a secondhand game before the expansion pack comes out.

I really hope that its not already too late for doing something, but if its taking longer than there wont be anyone left to buy any expansion pack.

So its ok for you to whine about cheats, but nobody else to to whine about anything. Cheats have been around since the days computers were born, so i could quite easy tell you, like you tell me " to get used to it".

Do you really think BIS will fix this? Well if you played ofp my bets that they don't.

CTF is dying in anycase in AA, so before long you might just be playing a 5v5 in an unlocked server. Infact for the few CTF servers there are left 5v5 is already a reality for most of them.

Arma Singleplayer campaign is a mess, unengaging, nothing compared to OFP campaign.

ArmA damage values for soldiers and vehicles are getting to the point where they arent realstic. Example: tiny little 9 mm round killing a soldier wearing a Level IV mil-spec ballistic plate inside his body armor(designed gto stop SVD dragonov bullets), which can already stop the 9mm easily.

Arma Performance isn't optimized as much as i hoped. Absoluely no dual/quad core support and foilage is terribly draining of the fps.

other than that, good game!

ArmA damage values for soldiers and vehicles are getting to the point where they arent realstic. Example: tiny little 9 mm round killing a soldier wearing a Level IV mil-spec ballistic plate inside his body armor(designed gto stop SVD dragonov bullets), which can already stop the 9mm easily.

Ya I agree. The dammage values seem way out in left field.

seems too have happened with the 1.08 patch. I hope BIS corrects the values in the next patch.

(IE:Stryker being taken out with 10-15 shots and brewing up before I can bail

by a MG UAZ .)

stonewall

people, people, people

i wrote this many times

but as i see or you are new or don't remember

in ARMA like in OFP there is no "bulletproof" materials

no working vests

no metal sheet that stops one bullet, but pass other

you can destroy M113, BMP using 2 boxes of 5.56 ammo from M249

if you will shot more rounds /boxes you can destroy T72,

it is nonsens, but dear players - it is such engine :/

i am disappointed with this also, but... what can we change, BIS must change whole structure :/

Well,

I have played it for a week now, approx 24 hours of playing time.

Its the FPS that coulda,shoulda,woulda. Its missing something,maybe alot of little things,can't quite put my finger on it.

I bought the game for the online multiplayer show.

I have found that at any given time there are only approx 12 or so servers with 8 or more players,Of the 12 servers ,10 of them are "coop" where the humans play on one team the ai on the other,So much for online "human" opponents....Just read the many happy threads about the ai.

Anyway the next thing that added to the suck factor for me was on these coop games you can't fly or drive anything but a used toyota or a humvee with no armament, until you reach some rank that I just don't have the patience to reach.

The load times for some of these servers is insane aswell..

The sound, or lack there of.

If you had a world of fun with titles like bf42/bf2/cs/cod/codII/ro,

and thought like myself that this was the next step in the world of fps IMHO save your money... banghead.gif

Nobody ever said this was the next step in FPS.

Infact many members of the community have stated point blank that if you come from the type of gaming such as battlefield 2, counter strike, etc. Then you should steer clear of this.

What happens in multiplayer cannot be controlled, that is all due to people, not the game. Now don't be a smartass and take this to a bug level, I'm talking about cooperation, ranks, etc.

By default the game has none of this, in truth a server can be started with missions where you can access any vehicle without the need of rank, that is an evolution trademark.

Well he must have picked up the idea from somewhere.

It's pointless to argue against what someone has been through. He comes here to say he's disappointed or that he just doesn't like the game, and you tell him what? Nobody will feel different for whatever you say. What people here say are conclusions based on experience, they are not speculations open to debate.

But honestly sounds like he just jumped on some mp games.

One of the best aspects of BI games is the ability to make a mission the way you want.Make the best mp mission

It is hard ,considering it didn't come with mission editing manuals directly.

And something that would be easy for people trying the game

Please everyone, let people state their complaints here.

Unless you have some constructive advice that may help them get more enjoyment out of the game, keep it restrained to the "ArmA is awesome" thread...

dear ht-57 for the second time i will defend ARMA biggrin_o.gif

you just bought game that you expected to be another stupid FPS shooter game

ARMA is advertised as military simulator, but you expected something else

what concerns mission, ARMA like OFP has mission editor, you create your own mission and play on it with friends, ARMA is game for creative people, thats why it has editor, it has more open engine than other games to add own weapons, islands, units and etc.

i had and still have many claims to ARMA (for dammage system, no bulletproof properties , for others) but missions and MP is due to players, not engine

if you buy truck you cannot expect it to drive fast, because truck is for heavy loads, not for fast driving like sport car

the same goes to ARMA

if i have claims , than that ARMA is not so realistic as advertised on it's box, book and other biggrin_o.gif

you are not happy with Toyota, maybe if were using mods, you can drive Trabi or Sherman or other things, it just depends on mission that someone created

After finally getting the graphical artifacts sorted out, I have been playing through Arma and sadly I have to say that the missions and the story is a long way from OFP. Something is missing but i cant (as someone said above) put the finger on what it is. I think that maybe a game of this complexity should have a main caracter (Armstrong in OFP or Troska from Resistane) that one can relate to. Now it feels like a bunch of random missions.

And I dont buy into the "make your own missions then" argument because that is not an (time-)option for me as for so many others. I admire those that can take the time and have the skills to do there own missions, but dont tell the rest of us that`s what we should do to.

Just my thoughts!

Well he must have picked up the idea from somewhere.

It's pointless to argue against what someone has been through. He comes here to say he's disappointed or that he just doesn't like the game, and you tell him what? Nobody will feel different for whatever you say. What people here say are conclusions based on experience, they are not speculations open to debate.

I love how you ignored the rest of my post, you must not have read the rest at all considering what you are saying.

Nowhere in there did I argue with him about what he's been through, I simply stated the facts. Multiplayer missions can be made where you can access any vehicle, evolution is not the only gamestyle, though most will go to it.

By "steer clear of this", was not meant as an insult but moreso a warning of truth if you will. Obviously people who come from deep with the fps genre, will have and we have seen it in the past, have trouble coping with this game and feel its not quite right. Therefore they feel they wasted their money, this is what I tend to warn them about.

I do not recall jumping his ass, I do not recall saying anything negative to him about how he may dislike the game.

The "smartass" comment was moreso directed to the community, I know had I left the window open, several people would come in and state how bugs can effect their multiplayer gameplay.

Well since 3 day's i'm back in OFP.

I started OFP and what happend's? I had a lot of fun.

OFP has that lot of Atmosphere everything feel's real.

Landscape looks way better.

Island geometry is just greate.

Vehicle steering is greate.

and so on... There are more then 100 thing's i like more in OFP then in ArmA.

Now ArmA is released since 8 month we have a 1GB patch and i still don't have the fun like in OFP.

ArmA is just disappointing. And i gave up the hope, that it someday will challenge OFP.

Too much thing's didn't work or are bugged in ArmA so no one in the world can fix all thouse things and BIS can't even do that.

I spend very very much time in editing, scripting stuff for ArmA but i think enough is enough.

If a game can't make you happy leave it.

So OFP welcome back and ArmA F... OFF!!

Mr Xno,

I,m just stating my opinon. Based on my personal expierience with arma. Sorry I don't feel the same way as you about this title.

I did post my DISAPOINTMENT in the right thread did I not?

The first thing I said to my self when I bought this game is "gee I need another stupid fps!" At least with those other "stupid" titles that are FPS I spent 1500 or 2000 hours, somtimes more playing and didn't spend my time on the games forums getting flamed! not after 24 hours of play time.

Just look at the two threads. arma is awsome- 10 pages

arma was disapionting-40 pages.That's 4 to 1.Seems like you are fighting a losing battle mr X.

That reminds me there's another little detail not included in arma. Hand to hand combat. That's what makes arma such an immersive sim running in circles trying to shoot your enemy.

For those who like human opponents you need servers with humans playing on them correct?Is that not the essence of online gaming?

In my thousands of hours playing war games that are FPS made by other company's. I have found [mind you this is only my OPINON ] The more people on a server the more fun it is cause you never know or can count on what's going to happen,that being said you really need more than eight people to get the party going. especially with the size of the place that is arma.But you really can,t find populated servers in arma, so I'll go with eight participants.

EX. last night I set the filter to servers with eight or more people , I came up with 14 servers.

the 14 server is actually the make or edit your own option.

Try # 14 if you like playing with yourself.

So that left me with 13. 13 was a pass word server, so now were at twelve.

10 of twelve servers were 'coop' type where you play bots.

server # 11 was the one where you drive a service truck to a flag so you can build a base to produce resources,Too much fun for my simple mind.

ahhhh #12 was almost the right thing, a ctf two teams of humans sluging it out on an island. an island so small giligan was rooming with ginger, by the time I got into the game I got booted.whoever started it reset the server .I know not armas fault,not looking to place blame.Just stating that there's not much game to be had if you like going against humans and not AI with all the trimmings that is supposed to be arma.

Again my apologies Mr X, That I just don,t care for thr reach a rank to unlock vehicles/weapons or whatever,when a bulk of the servers that are populated are set up in this fashion it just sucks,again that is not what one is led to belive when they buy this game.I have yet to see an apache attack chopper in the air in a multiplayer game.Come to think of it I haven't seen a single frag grenade thrown,again that kinda thing would take the sim out of the game wouldn,t it

You just haven't lived till you heard my favorite song yay.gif

I think that tune is the highlight of arma imho banghead.gif

Guest Ti0n3r

Hmm btw, what's up with BIS setting the friendly soldiers skill to ~recruit? That's RETARDED. During the whole campaign every single soldier in my squads were recruits. Wtf?

Also, the skill level bar in the difficulty menu was a really bad idea.

I'm too sad with ArmA.

So sad that I've uninstalled it after play less than 30%.

Like many here said, there is something missing.

Maybe I had get old, I don't know.

I look to the rack at my left side and there they are, the two amazing boxes from CWC and Resistance... the games that marked a time in my life, in my mind, an experience that I'll never forget, cause I lived there, inside of that virtual world.

There is something wrong, but I can't point a finger, like said here before by the others

So sad... it should be an amazing experience... too sad... too sad... sad_o.gif

Hmm btw, what's up with BIS setting the friendly soldiers skill to ~recruit? That's RETARDED.

Because whole conflict was so short that basically troops didn't gain very much experience. It's sim you know ( wink_o.gif ). You can't become veteran (term related to warfaring skills) without being in combat for relatively long time... No matter how well trained you are. That is stuff that i've read, seems that BIS did too.

Guest Ti0n3r

That's not my point. It doesn't matter if the campaign is short or not. The problem is that setting the skill to recruit will only help break missions where you don't control every squad, since the soldiers will act like... well, retarded soldiers.

Would 11 real life recruits walk right towards a T72 after it has killed their leader? Nope. But this is common in ArmA wink_o.gif