Sign in to follow this  
W0lle

ArmA is just ... disappointing

I'm not sure as to the actual numbers according to revenue, but these represent the top sellers.

UK Sales

TW TITLE PUBLISHER

1 COMMAND & CONQUER 3: TIBERIUM WARS EA GAMES

23 ARMA: ARMED ASSAULT 505 GAMES

Australian Sales

1. The Sims 2: Seasons

9. ArmA: Armed Assault

well, that looks pretty good! Just guessing - must be over a million?

Sorry mate, I suppose I quoted the wrong ones as they were not very recent.

Update - UK sales as of May 19th state it has fallen to the 28th position, and the Aussie charts as of May 24 no longer place it in the top 10. As to US sales I'm not sure.

The reason is in his sig "100% fanboy". But fanboys can't read and comprehend they are like preachers that must come everywhere and write everywhere that game is good and has no problems. This is the best approval for the fact that game is not good because then there would be no reason for fanbois to come in wrong thread explaining everybody how good the game is.

Damm, should´ave read that before loosing 5 minutes of my time.

well, you could use these 5 minutes to in fact play the game instead of dissing the wrong things.

I was refering to skullburner firsts frase, i should have delted the rest of it in the quote.

Anyway I´ve played the game for more than 5 minutes although as i said its hard to play a decent CTf. Its everything full of 32 persons C&H, coops and stupid hexenkesels CTF.

I have to say though i dont remember any CTD.

I remmeber though many Lod problems and some bugs.

BUT this inst what bothers me, what bothers me is the actual gameplay

Quote[/b] ]

FYI viewpoint is not attached to weapon anymore. But you must know better that we do, as obviously you test things before talking.... not.

Already tested before 1.05 the game has been in the shelf since then.

Any problem with  me storing a game that isnt bug free?? Or do you really think im going to play a game that i dont like??

They may have fixed that ( astonishing Btw ) but the other things remain as ivé read all along the boards

Quote[/b] ]

I particularly like the "Dont dismiss what is convenient for you in the discussion please" just after. Irony 101.

WOW! as if i didnt make that clear.

BTW this thread is about negative points. I could say how good the box is, or the logo in the box, or how nice is the HDR sometimes,  but that doesnt belong here.

Quote[/b] ]

ofc, I await the fanboy label, as usual. The logic of people on Internet, I don't even try to understand anymore icon_rolleyes.gif

Well turns out the logic is 14 pages right no... 15  in fact, and lots of threads throughout the boards.

Quote[/b] ]

EDIT because Mora edited tounge2.gif :

Where, anywhere, where did I say otherwise about gameplay and performance? Nowhere. I even start BTS reports about anymation issues, FFS!

BUT, when in the middle of a list of aknowlegable BAD points of ArmA, I see something wrong, I point it out (and others do, like DM did in my quote you used). It doesn't mean we don't agree with the other points, but as we DARE not say something bad about that game, we're immediatly put into the fanboy list, and whatever we write, it'ts fanboy crap. It's not only irritating, but utterly stupid and bordering to trolling sometimes (nota before angry reply : it doesn't necesseraly applies to this discussion)

Bad quote, explained below by whisper.

It is better in scale of the island, but it fails in number of objects/km² such as rocks, bushes and trees.

Not true, BI created ArmA and OFP islands both have similar base-object densities (ArmA's is slightly higher). ArmA gains the upper hand with its "clutter" generators, which add even more objects into the map.

ArmA is also capable of even higher object densities, we just dont have PROPER tools to do it yet wink_o.gif (The WRP hacks have proven that you can have a silly amount of objects on the map)

wink_o.gif

Mora, I was reffering to this wink_o.gif It was about island objects density. Case cleared wink_o.gif

That would stop the people complaing, stop a large amount of flaming and it'd go along in re-assuring our faith in BIS. I honsetly feel like selling Arma and putting my effort in to OPF2 or GRAW/R6 future - at least UBISoft & Codemasters listen (check the recent silent hunter 4 news)

Heya Mate,

These threads indeed prolly not get read by them and why should they, it's the threads where a whole load of ppl are spitting out frustrated opinions or "fan-boyed" opinions; no facts or at least no new facts... Hence there is little for them to seek in here other than personal-enjoyment (watching ppl argue).

http://bugs.armed-assault.net

That's where BIS 'semi-officially' acknowledges issues and that they are working on it.

Look for status:

Acknowledged

Assigned

Quote[/b] ]Your being labaled fan boys for a very simple reason; This topic is for people who have bad experiences with the game for whatever reason (Mainly due to graphical bugs) and your in this topic which is intended for people like me and mora defending the problems, trying to belittle us, de-railing the thread
And us "Fan-boys" (the fake ones, not the real ones), are trying to explain that all we try to do is put the record straight; we argue against your opinions, but until now we haven't denied the facts!

But it doesn't matter for "anti-fan-boy fanboys"... When they make complaints with unfound opinions, without real facts, or wrong facts, and we try to explain those things, we're suddenly "fanboys", anyway. I really didn't want to continue this and I hope you see it as a friendly reply, an explaination as you seem a nice guy and try doing good and all, but if you want to call someone else a fan-boy then please get the definition of a fan-boy right, it's as Whisper said, look at the BTS and made posts; Noone says that nothing is wrong, we just say that it usually isn't as black/white as it is described, and opinions/facts that ppl add up are many times just unfound guesses.

But as I stated earlier today, I will not join into the discussion of opinions again, but please leave me out of the fan-boy row.

And as I explain, if you read my posts, I don't deny the bad points (in fact I support them in the BTS), I try to avoid wrong things reported to BI. And to help people.

BTW BI not reading this thread doesn't mean AT ALL that your problems won't be solved anyday : most of them are in the BTS and often acknowledged. Did you count the number of patch already? It's not an abandonware we have here. Not the best, sure. But not abandonned.

These threads just fuel the "leave this ship" mentality, if you ask me.

Here's some more contribution to this thread:

Although I was critical of ARMA pretty much from the day 1, I've decided to let it go.

ARMA even with its patches cannoT live to its predecessor without patches. Already ARMA has pretty much the same amount of patches as both OFP and OFPres combined and you guys have yet to see some real results.

Patches will fix minor flaws, and bugs, but it won't fix what destroys this game. And that is the feeling which you get as a result of the robotlike commands. It just doesn't feel right playing ARMA, the commands are so unnatural. Play OFP and ARMA and compare the feelings (due to the commands) and see which is better... I refuse along with many others to play a game that has much much worse controls than its predecesor. I know many clans, old OFP fans, and even respected OFP modders that gave up on ARMA. The amount of people leaving the community should be a sign to the community as a whole.

Everything that you could do in OFP feels much worst in ARMA. Flying a plane, driving a tank, even walking. It just doesn't feel right. They included annoying features like fixed center cameras in vehicles which just ruins the game.

BIS is the only one that knows the magnitude in lack of success of this game. Sells is the biggest sign along with why so many stores who don't really want to buy it.

The number of populated servers is a sign to us all how good ARMA really is. The fact that pretty much every game mode other than coop is pretty much dead is also a sign. (OFP had coop and pretty much every other game modes you can imagine, and was quite popular for at least 4 years after released)

I don't see ARMA in a good spotlight in a few years, but thats just my opinion.

In terms of campaign quality and even quality as a whole, I see more effort put into the FDF mod than into ARMA. notworthy.gif

Quote[/b] ]Although I was critical of ARMA pretty much from the day 1, I've decided to let it go.

yay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gif

It took some time mate but you did it ! you are leaving is it true ?

that is a good decision mate, nobody here will miss your wise comments or modding capabilities.

ciao !

yay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gif

edit : please don't spoil the fun, do not reply.

Isn't this the reason behind 2 threads, so that those who like the game can post in the other thread and not argue the point with people here.

Im not posting about liking the game or not, just facts smile_o.gif .

I understand that some people may find the game disapointing and im interested in knowing their reasons but i expect arguements that can be backed up, not stuff pulled out of a magic hat.

I have my personal disapointments too.

Damage/hit model for example or missing vehicle interiors, steerable chutes, etc.

Well alot of people have mentioned Multiplayer and the lack of it. I have played this game since November and i can tell you there isn't alot of servers running CTF.

Now that isn't somthing i have pulled out of a magic hat, its a fact, but yet you don't seem to have a problem finding MP success. If you would like me to post a screen shot of all the CTF servers i will. I can tell you its not often they reach double figures and they are never full, far from it.

So my final thoughts. If the servers are not full, not many playing CTF. This tells me alot of people don't like the game, or have never heard of Armed assault.

Fair enough smile_o.gif .

Adversarial gameplay needs promotion... and better missions.

I think many mission makers are sitting back waiting for the next final patch since code that might break missions is still being tweaked by BIS. The idea of a large scale, objective based, persistent adversarial mission with lots of activity makes me drool notworthy.gif .

I like Arma's improved gameplay over OPF's any day, maybe its because i have good frame rates or dont touch ordinary shooters. I can have a great time playing anything with Arma, from long coops to small MP5 deathmatches.

To the others checking the top 10 charts... i dont go with the flow and i could care less about how many play the sims or BF, etc... im an individual, not a sheep smile_o.gif .

testing , i finished my mission second time , and nno CTD with newest DX9C (february) instead of this from game disc, details on middle i hope it will be working now , before i couldn't even get to the middle of mission

software of VGA memory - i do not use network f-something, so ...

i am learning Linux to get rid of M-S

of course my resolution (i forget to say ) is 1280*1024 because of large size LCD monitor, i cannot have lower resolution, because LCD

i will play more mission and see what will be

Quote[/b] ]They included annoying features like fixed center cameras in vehicles which just ruins the game.

Can you give an example?  And what version are you playing? I noticed this once in tanks, and after patching, IIRC, it has been taken care of.  Can someone confirm? (I'm at work)

Edit: and simba.. that is flamebaiting.

Quote[/b] ]They included annoying features like fixed center cameras in vehicles which just ruins the game.

Can you give an example? And what version are you playing? I noticed this once in tanks, and after patching, IIRC, it has been taken care of. Can someone confirm? (I'm at work)

Edit: and simba.. that is flamebaiting.

Drive a jeep in OFP and then drive a jeep in ARMA and you'll see exactly what I mean. Same with planes.

Drive a jeep in OFP and then drive a jeep in ARMA and you'll see exactly what I mean.  Same with planes.

Yep. Confirmed. I have version 1.06 Digital Download from Direct2Download.

I can't do mouselook while in a vehicle. I have to use the numpad 1,4,7,8,9,6,3,5 to look around from back-left to back-right. and center.

I can't do mouselook while in a vehicle. I have to use the numpad 1,4,7,8,9,6,3,5 to look around from back-left to back-right. and center.

Hold the ALT key on the keyboard. you can then use the mouse to look around. It is a bit clunky but it works. The best alternative would be to use TrackIR I guess but I tried that and just couldn't get used to it.

Hold the ALT key on the keyboard. you can then use the mouse to look around. It is a bit clunky but it works. The best alternative would be to use TrackIR I guess but I tried that and just couldn't get used to it.

I assigned look to my mouse#4, which is a perfect substitute.

Once again, and for the very last time before I start PR'ing people:

This is no troubleshooting thread, this also not the place to discuss mods, addons or whatever.

The only thing that goes in here are reasons why you're disappointed with ArmA.

Is it really that hard to understand such a simple rule? Take the personal issues to PM or whatever.

Not relevant posts will be deleted again, so don't wonder when your postcount goes down or you can't find your flaming post here anymore.

@FriketMonkey

A dutch friend of me, got ArmA online from

BOL.de

On topic:

Let me quote myself from page no.6

Yup .... turn everything into a mess, sooner or later..

So now..

What would make people happy?

- TexView 2

- Oxygen 2

- Visitor 3

- Linux server

- fixed animations (smooth and fast like in OFP)

- fixed & better sound

- working setpos commands for static objekts TT 2166

- no flying objects TT 2229

- no ugly pulsing HDR

- shadows which not disappear after 90m (visible up to 1000m would be cool)

- a T80UM or T90S

- working crosshair in helicopter & planes (OFP like) ..

a) to lock on targets with mouse,

b) for a smoother flight example on youtube

*update*

I miss the crosshair not only in choppers and planes, also in groundvehicles, or let me say in all vehicles tounge2.gif

so i hope moderator won't be angry biggrin_o.gif

ya, this was problem of DX9C from game disc

newest DX9 and game looks better, faster, no CTD after some hours

mine main issues are:

- bad performance

- difficult aiming - even when fraps shows 40FPS my iron sight seem to be refreshing on much slower FPS, I have high res mouse but I am having hard time to aim. This gets worse when using optics (scope) as the FPS drops in half

- extremally long load time. Single player is just long, but multi player - takes forever. I mean sometimes after 2-3 minutes I just hit "escape" and I pick another server. You can say "server issue" - well, whatever, I play FEAR Combat quite a lot and all servers transfer the data in seconds. I have 5Mb internet connection

- the starforce (or whatever it is - I have the USA version) is not a big deal, but it still annoys me, I have to sometimes restert the computer because the disk is not being recognized. Just for the heck of it I will try to Daemon it tonight

- and, as many mentioned, the "shoot me from 500 meters with one shot from AK74 in the total darkness AI" really annoys me.

It took some time mate but you did it ! you are leaving is it true ?

that is a good decision mate, nobody here will miss your wise comments or modding capabilities.

It sounds like you want to leave.

If you dont stop flaming I will help you on your way mad_o.gif

except vehicles collisions and other AI problems mentioned before good would be if BIS could add reload animation in few version, even for M24 after shot

holding anims, different for short weapon like UZI, different for M16M203

weapon class can define which anim add

this is a little disapointment if M24 behaves like selfloading rifle

i can suggest holidin anims like:

manholdshort (for UZIs)

manholdmagazine (for MP40, Hungarian AK, PPS)

manholdrifle (M16, AK, FAL....)

manholdgrenade (M16 M203)

also

manreloadAK for AK, closer on right side,

manreloadM16 closer trigger on rear of corpuss

manreloadMG - with puting ammo belt

manreloadUZI - with magazine in hand , like pistol

manreloadM24 - usefull for ww2 rifles

manreloadG- for MP5 , G3, FAL, closer triger on left side

manreloadBUP - for bul pup, L85, AUG

manreloadshotgun

and it can be in weapon class deinitions

or maybe right hand and left hand in memory ?

or 2 points of eye, something like osa_eye ?

now EYE is 1 point, so if i turn weapon in O2 to match hands, than sight is not working

or maybe since 1.07 there is eye and eye direction ?

i haven't heard about such thing

it was annoying in OFP, so i should be improved in ARMA, we as OFP community are used to it, but when i showed my friend OFP ha started laughing at such anims of man holding weapon inside of M203 or UZI hand in muzzle flame

such "candy" can make some things better

also i am missing for camera effects in triggers and waypoints like in OFP :/

ooo and rusty wheel after shot, in OFP dumper destruction was better, maybe class car should have -10 cm after destruction to simulate tire without air ?

Well, the ending to the campaign was certainly disappointing. Talk about anti-climatic. Just finished it...

That was terrible. >_>

I'm just supremely lucky that one of the tanks at the first SLA camp fell prey to the "Super Ball Effect." It got tossed up in the air and then the crew jumped out. I ran about 400 meters through fire to get to it. I guess the friendly AI took care of the crew. I jumped in and it was totally fine. Did the rest of the mission with that. I was expecting at any time a huge counter-attack but it was just... Plain run and shoot... Didn't even need my squad once I got the tank. Just rumbled around and shot up enemy soldiers with the MG. I heard some tanks near one camp, but I killed all the guys there and the mission ended. I was HOPING for a battle IN the city, not outside it...

Got the sprocket version.

MP didn't work.

Spent 4 months getting a refund.

Bought an Atari version. (less $ to BIS, well done!wink_o.gif

Now there are 3 different versions, and I'm here posting because I dont want to play Evolution 1.5a.......

What began in 2001 was a revalation for me in gaming. Greatest game I ever played, best people I ever played with.

I remember the first MP maps for OFP...I'll buy into that "give it time thing." But the decisions made by BIS astound me. It is as if they are truly TRYING to fail. One word Sprocket...my god do you hear the sucking sound. Even these forums have become an unfriendly place.

My theory is that we are all spending too much time in the FORUMS, and not enough time in the GAME.

Thankfully there are other decent games that have come out out to kill my 3 hours of free time per night...better than TV! thumbs-up.gif

in general i am very happy with arma. love it really.

however there are some negatives that i'd like to bring to the fucking table.

1st. controlling the squad is not intuitive. Especially for new players and in a situation like this you need AI around you even if it's to give the enemy something else to aim at.

2nd. OPFOR seems a bit short on weapons, specifically a LMG (RPK or similar) and maybe a few more distinct assault rifles (AK100 series, G3, AN94, etc). mods are great but for a long term consistent playing experience it's the built in weapons that get remembered.

3rd. need a mini campaign based on realistic combat scenarios rather than the main one which now doesn't seem to fit the ultimate combat simulator promise.

4th. mod tools are not out yet. this is the biggest complaint i have.

@FriketMonkey

A dutch friend of me, got ArmA online from

BOL.de

On topic:

Let me quote myself from page no.6

Yup .... turn everything into a mess, sooner or later..

So now..

What would make people happy?

- TexView 2

- Oxygen 2

- Visitor 3

- Linux server

- fixed animations (smooth and fast like in OFP)

- fixed & better sound

- working setpos commands for static objekts TT 2166

- no flying objects TT 2229

- no ugly pulsing HDR

- shadows which not disappear after 90m (visible up to 1000m would be cool)

- a T80UM or T90S

- working crosshair in helicopter & planes (OFP like) ..

a) to lock on targets with mouse,

b) for a smoother flight example on youtube

*update*

I miss the crosshair not only in choppers and planes, also in groundvehicles, or let me say in all vehicles tounge2.gif

That rather sums it up.

I would add fixing some huge FPS eater bushes. Some do, some don't, it would be way better if none were FPS crusher.

Animation fixes also have their TT : TT 2053