Sign in to follow this  
W0lle

ArmA is just ... awesome!

The old comunity was just... awsome, OPF ran bad and had lots of bugs while not having the best graphics, MP didnt even work but the old comunity was... awsome.

The reason why OPF grew so much... people embraced it and the devs worked hard to make it better.

Life changes, people change and move on, many stoped gaming, etc. Its a cycle... some stay, some leave, new people join.

The new comunity is... a disapointment!

It doesnt request... it demands!

It doesnt discuss... it bitches and whines!

It doesnt like anything... it hates everything!

Arma is a great game and BIS is a great developer and supporter. I love the game but im turned off by the ambiance of this once great and constructive forum.

For some Arma is not diferent enough, for others its too diferent.

For some its not realistic enough, for others its too realistic.

For me... best game ever, every other military shooter is a mediocre and poor atempt smile_o.gif .

sorry for my bad english.

i couldn't agree more both with sniper_skull and heatseeker but...

@sniper_skull, the truth is that the reason i LOVE ArmA is exactly the same reason as you do, in fact i never finnish OP campaign i quit at mission "after modignac" then i discover MODDING then i got amazed by OFP capabilities, now i have never played even a single mission, i continue my modding work for about 4 years. But you have to consider the fact that most of all for BIS to manage stay alive, this product has to have some game features and less-bugs. cause if it was a product only for me and you (and other people like us) then BIS will probably closed (we are too few), that's why all these people who whining all day about ArmA this.... ArmA that.... their opinion really does matter, so we have to be patient with them, and help BIS to come out of this difficult situation, till ArmA shows it real face to all these people (patches), and off course we as modders do our best to make better and better addons.

@heatseeker, In fact i haven't see a lot of new members staying here and defending ArmA or discovering what powerfull tool they have in their hands. most of them are acting like simple gamers, if you notice the majority of the complaints are coming from newer members we (the old days community) are already know well what wonderfull piece of art we have in hands.

Now the bottom line.

I don't care about the RVMATS (specular, normal etc), i bet those vehicles with baes textures would be really beautifull even without all these..

I don't care about the bigger terrain, personally i loved Nogova size, even that was quite big (although i understand that for a military simulator bigger landsize maps are better).

But I do care for the MULTYTURRET system! that's a thing that i like, and makes my addons better.

I do care about the improved scripting commands.

I do care about the better way of doing animations with skeleton structures

All these and many more isthe things i like in ArmA, that's why i'll stay in this game and into the next....

why most of the people say bad things, and few the improvemets, they are ALL AROUND US!

Arma is a piece of art.

Nothing came close to OFP in terms of dynamics/scale/immersion.

Now nothing comes close to Arma.

I just hope nothing bad happens to BIS. Couldn't live in a world where this engine wasn't getting further revamps.

I realy don't see how the "dissapointing" thread can be so long. To be "disapointed," the game has to fall short of expectations... what sort of expectations do these people have? What are they measuring it against? The last realistic shooter was released ages ago. It's head-and-shoulders above OFP, and no other game comes close. ArmA stands alone, that's for sure. smile_o.gif

Maybe it's cause they're arguing over who's the most disappointed whilst we're simply saying what we like about it. tounge2.gif

I really just love looking at the water out of the window of a chopper sometimes. Can't wait till the next patch brings everyone into line, and I can't wait for the tools to come out. biggrin_o.gif

Its because we're living in a parallel universe where someone get the game and think it is a updated OFP and kind of like it while someothers get the game and think it differently

It is awesome notworthy.gif

And even more now that I can fully enjoy it at 1024x768 @ 20FPS :P

Yes, it has its bugs and needs some fixes, but oh well... didn't OFP travel the same route? And you saw how 1.96 ended up wink_o.gif

I love this game and it is the ONLY one I play and will play for a long long time! thumbs-up.gif

I realy don't see how the "dissapointing" thread can be so long.  To be "disapointed," the game has to fall short of expectations... what sort of expectations do these people have?  What are they measuring it against?

Simple answer is well known in the service and support industry:

If someone has a bad experience with a product (be it a perceived or actual bad experience), the average person will tell 10-12 other people. If the same person has a good experience with a product, he will tell two or three. (Needless to say these are average figures from statistical research).

Human nature (and modern social tendancies) lead to your average man in the street being quicker to complain than to praise, so if you have two threads as we do here, one for positive and one for negative feedback, the negative one will always be the longer of the two, even if the number of unhappy customers are in the minority. Those that are happy with the product are too busy enjoying their purchase, those that are not enjoying their purchase have more time available to complain about it.

All that being said there are problems that need to be addressed in ArmA. The devs know this (as evidenced by the bug tracking that's going on), and are working on it (as evidenced by the fact we're now up to a beta of version 1.07). How loudly certain community members will complain will depend on how badly they are personally effected by these problems.

Personally, although my rig can hardly run it, I'm enjoying ArmA immensely. There are things I'd like to see that would enhance the experience, but nothing that I feel is vital to making the game playable.

The forests around Bangango (However it is spelled) are beautiful.  

I particularly liked the vinyards.

Loving it! Graphics look great on my system, game plays well, and draw distance is amazing, also think netcode has improved loads from the laggy days of flashpoint. If you wanna run arma well, get a nvidia 7900gs with 3 gig of decent corsair ram and a nice Amd athlon 5200 x2 minimum of cash and fuss! nener.gif

Loving it! Graphics look great on my system, game plays well, and draw distance is amazing, also think netcode has improved loads from the laggy days of flashpoint. If you wanna run arma well, get a nvidia 7900gs with 3 gig of decent corsair ram and a nice Amd athlon 5200 x2 minimum of cash and fuss! nener.gif

I would love to get that, care to lend me some cash?? smile_o.gifsmile_o.gifsmile_o.gifsmile_o.gifsmile_o.gif

It's like that dream I've had all these years playing crappy unrealistic FPS game come true!!

Really, I've waiting so long for that "special" one game that simulates the level of detail and realism I've always craved,

ArmA is that game!

I seriously felt like a little boy again at Christmas the day I walked home from the PC store with ArmA in my hands!

Sure ArmA has it's flaws and lack of certain features, but try to compare it to other games of a similar genre, then you'll see how inferior all other games are.

ArmA is THE king of realistic combined arms shooters!

It's like that dream I've had all these years playing crappy unrealistic FPS game come true!!

Really, I've waiting so long for that "special" one game that simulates the level of detail and realism I've always craved,

ArmA is that game!

I seriously felt like a little boy again at Christmas the day I walked home from the PC store with ArmA in my hands!

Sure ArmA has it's flaws and lack of certain features, but try to compare it to other games of a similar genre, then you'll see how inferior all other games are.

ArmA is THE king of realistic combined arms shooters!

OFP is the king of realistic open end combat sim, ArmA is kind of like his young son, powerful, yet not fully trained and not really good in shape

OFP is the first of its kind, and we are lucky as its not the last smile_o.gif

I recently played some MP games on public server, and experienced very little problem. I'm really satisified with this product. yay.gif

I realy don't see how the "dissapointing" thread can be so long. To be "disapointed," the game has to fall short of expectations... what sort of expectations do these people have? What are they measuring it against?

Simple answer is well known in the service and support industry:

If someone has a bad experience with a product (be it a perceived or actual bad experience), the average person will tell 10-12 other people. If the same person has a good experience with a product, he will tell two or three. (Needless to say these are average figures from statistical research).

Human nature (and modern social tendancies) lead to your average man in the street being quicker to complain than to praise, so if you have two threads as we do here, one for positive and one for negative feedback, the negative one will always be the longer of the two, even if the number of unhappy customers are in the minority. Those that are happy with the product are too busy enjoying their purchase, those that are not enjoying their purchase have more time available to complain about it.

All that being said there are problems that need to be addressed in ArmA. The devs know this (as evidenced by the bug tracking that's going on), and are working on it (as evidenced by the fact we're now up to a beta of version 1.07). How loudly certain community members will complain will depend on how badly they are personally effected by these problems.

Personally, although my rig can hardly run it, I'm enjoying ArmA immensely. There are things I'd like to see that would enhance the experience, but nothing that I feel is vital to making the game playable.

Despite your good expertise, I think that there are many people that are ignoring the reality and accepting everything that they get only not to be disappointed or frustrated and play good optimists(like you), saying it is not performing good but I am lovin it, or I can only play with 20 FPS on 800x600 but it still awesome or it is BIS they will solve everything although they didn't solve even all annoyances from good old OFP.

On the other hand there are people that don't lie to themselves and expect to get decent game for which they have paid for and they are expressing it on the forum(like me).

Just FYO Skullburner, the comment that I made that my rig "can barely handle ArmA" is not a comment on the game's performance, but on the fact that my rig only barely meets the game's minimum requirements.

As such I bought ArmA with probably somewhat lower performance expectations than those who went out and blindly spent 2000 (pound sterling) on a brand new PC without first confirming that there'd be no conflicts between ArmA and their new hardware (or in some cases without even investigating the current state of driver release for certain hardware).

This being the case, while I'd never deny that ArmA has it's flaws, or say that it couldn't be improved upon, I think there's more than one member on this forum voicing his frustration at ArmA  as a form of transfered responsibility (ie: blaming a 30(pound sterling) software product for their own stupidity in shelling out large ammounts of money on hardware before finding out whether or not their newly bought hardware would give them the unrealistically high results they desired). Unfortunately those that are doing this are drawing attention away from those that actually have genuine problems.

So from my point of view I'd agree with you that yes there are indeed people on this forum who've been "lying to themselves." Unfortunately you're pointing the finger at the wrong man.

Now having said that, let me stress: I am NOT saying that ArmA has no faults, nor am I saying that ArmA can't be improved (both from the point of view of content and performance). But this game had a demo. If you played the demo you should have been able to make a rational decision as to whether this was the game for you and whether it would run on your PC hardware with a performance you'd find acceptable. If someone bought ArmA without trying the demo, or didn't like the demo but bought the game anyway then I'd suggest that those would be the people you'd be better pointing the finger at for lying to themselves. You'll find most of them in the "ArmA is disappointing" thread.

(edited due to the forum software not liking the English pound sign).

Skullburner, I never called you stupid, and if from my post you got the impression that I was doing so then I apologise.

The transferred responsibility comments may have been unfair (and even though not intentionally directed at either you or any other specific forum member), re-reading it I can see how it could have been taken that way. I was simply outlining a type of behaviour I've seen many times before (not only in relation to internet forums and PC software, but also in the context of everyday working environments).

But as far as the demo goes, I feel those comments are still absolutely valid (especially from prior to the 505 release). I was under the impression that an ArmA demo had been available for the origianl release, however if you say this wasn't the case I'm more than happy to take your word for it.

Personally, if I buy a PC game and after six months I'm still unhappy with it, I shelve it, bin it or give it away and move onto something I can get some satisfaction out of. All I can say is that if by this stage you still don't see any sign of ArmA becoming what you would personally want it to be, then maybe you should look for something else (at least in the interim till the next patch or two is released, then try it again).

ARMA Is awesome because its made by BIS which is derived from Operation Flashpoint

Which brought out the creativity in me and showed me skills I never knew I had.Unlike any game in the history of gaming.

Like a free adonmaking school

BIS is so generous

Assumtions is the mother of all **** ups.

I assumed this would be the fanboi thread and that any broken hearted outburst about how BIS mislead us into thinking we've get a completely new game, when they claimed ArmA would be OFP1.5 and not Game2, belonggeed in the "other" thread.

So back in november why did I buy ArmA. Why? When I knew exactly what I was getting. I was getting a german version, CTDs and other bugs? I ended up paying $100 for a game that wasn't even a completely new game why? I think probably because BIS was the only ones on the market catering specificly to me. Noone else wanted to make an immersive and realistic coop game.

Frankly I was tired of OFP, when I installed I still enjoyed the gameplay and the outdated graphics, but OFP had become an annoyance to get into a decent multiplayer game. You'd have to be in a clan, DL gigs of addons and install various mods to be able to play with other people. ArmA offers me a chance to start from scratch, Sahrani is still young and free to explore, the content still offers enough entertainment and coop just blows me away. Whether I taxi people, drop my payload over Ortego or have to do the legwork myself, teaming up with like-minded people on Sahrani, makes it not only possible to ignore bugs, but also provides me with hours of intensity, beauty and laughter.

ArmA and ArmA are the two only games I've bought in the last 12 months, bugged or not there are simply no alternative games to coop lovers.

many thanks to all at BIS for this software.

from multiplayer co-op to mission and addon making i have had so far probably a few hundred hours of fun with this software. by far the biggest improvement to my mind is the netcode at last we can do the things that we could only dream about in OFP.

looking forward to the release of the tools so the addon community can get to the serious work and start producing those gems we saw in OFP.

all in all arma can only keep getting better.

money well spent!

Cant wait for the new patch so everyone can get on . Ive got three servers running on my dedicated box two 1.5 servers and a 1.6 server .

Ive spent hours just flying around in the helo's.

For now I am just getting everything in line and hopefully soon all three servers will be 1.7 .

Ive got 1.5 as I was a day early and even though I am in the us I have 1.5 . cant even get on my 1.6 server.

This is going to be one heck of a game ive had to shut down my cod and bf2 servers to be able run this but its worth it.

Yeah, the new patch should make things better for everyone online. Right now are tougher times since everyone's split between three versions. wow_o.gif

I really do enjoy this game like no other, I hope to see even greater things spring from it in the future. smile_o.gif

Hello

The freedom. The choice of completing your mission anyway you choose.

You can walk/crawl/crouch/run/drive/fly/swim anywhere you want to go.

Rgds Tom

I have purchased ARMA 2 months ago. Patched to 1.05.

The game was too slow even with my 8800 GTS, full of bugs, FPS drops and CTD.

Was not impressed and I didn't use it anymore

Then, I have upgraded it with the latest beta 1.07 and for the first time I CAN PLAY ARMA and it is great.

At last.

AND a new tracers mod is coming soon. ARMA is getting better every day, just be patient.

Btw, something what i like to see:

ArmA is still 'UNDER DEVELOPMENT'. And although they are updating the site quite slow, looking at the ArmA page itself reveals that the last time it has been updated was between the 505 and the US release. smile_o.gif