Sign in to follow this  
Sand Flea

Despite the rampant disgust of BF2...

... I have to say that I am seeing a lot of BF2-isms in multiplayer currently. It is really ticking me off, I thought we had a more mature gaming community. I.E., I was flying round trips in the helicopter, and I come back for a landing to pick people up, and a player walks up to the nose of the aircraft and shoots me. That has also happened many times from people who didn't want me to drive the hummer, but they never ask to drive. Otherwise I would let them, I'm a pretty reasonable person.

And it doesn't end at TK-ing. Many aspects of the gameplay are too similar to BF2's disorganized rabble. ArmA has an ungodly potential for squads and teamwork, but I have never seen anyone operate in a squad (on the US servers). It is just a big free-for-all that gets boring too quickly because everything is so far away so dying really takes its toll. I hope this lack of emphasis on teamwork and squad formation is just because that ArmA only came out in the US recently and realism communities haven't fully formed.

If the current unecessarily-modded servers (each side can get all weapons, etc) and BF2 like gameplay continue to dominate all multiplayer servers, I think I may have to go back to Red Orchestra.

No worries mate.

I'm an old OFP mapper/modder (modded Flashpoint from the first day it came out) and have been patiently waiting for ArmA.  Just getting my feet wet again in terms of mapping/modding and I will transpose some of my better maps/missions from OFP into ArmA.  I also have a gaggle of ideas for new maps in ArmA, all of which will limit weapons, spawns, vehicles, and will focus entirely on squad-play.  My OFP maps were hugely frustrating to the rambo-one-man-style crowd of players and immensely satisfying for the squad-play realism fans.  I plan to help boost the NA ArmA community in the same way.   smile_o.gif

Oh by the way, Red Orchestra is the shit!!!!   My sons and I play it almost every weekend.  It's what COD/COD2 should have been!

Also, my dedicated server "the_Monk's [PROVING GROUNDS]" will never allow the type of game-destroying behaviour you described above. Whenever it's up, feel free to join. (you'll also get the first taste of any new maps/missions I've got on the go... biggrin_o.gif )

"the Wise learn to swim, by watching Fools drown."  -- the Monk

"thank GOD for the multitude of Fools."  -- the Monk

You seem to be describing 90% of the public TDM/CTF servers. It can be better when in an organized clan vs clan match.

Or try Coop, the objectives dont immideatly fly out of the window and depending on the server you may spent more time talking then shooting. tounge2.gif

(Btw, is there a ZEUS server up for ArmA? Maybe im just completely blind but i havent seen it.. tounge2.gif )

Try joining a clan mate, this will give you teamwork ... unfortunately you'll be hard pressed to find Teamspeak with a bunch of public members.

22 Regiment

Another shameless plug tounge2.gif

Yeah I agree.  Usually admins ban those who TK, but sometimes admins arn't around!  That, and unfortunately admins can't ban people for not working as a team.. huh.gif

I was playing on an evolution server recently and some guys were teaming up, so I joined up and got on TS and all that.  It was just awesome.  We weren't super ogranized since we just met, but it really gave me a taste of what clans do.  Even though it was a very small taste, that's what really motivated me to look for a clan.

So, like above poster/posters said, try looking for a clan. thumbs-up.gif

Edit: Hm..I think you already have a clan? If you do...next step is to stay away from pubs I guess.. confused_o.gif

The 9th Infantry Division has a teamspeak and 2 servers for ArmA.1 server is for 1.05 and runs missions most of the time.The second server runs 1.06 and is mostly used for Evolution 1.5a  .

Back in Feb. We had one server going with v1.05 .There weren't very many people coming in that played in squads.As soon as the recruiting picked up and I was allowed by those in charge of the 9th to open up teamspeak the number of people coming on to play ArmA and use the 9th Infantry Teamspeak took off.We've had as many as 20 people on teamspeak and out of those 20 7-10 of them were from the Arma gaming community.Almost all of the people that have joined our teamspeak as non 9th members have since joined the 9th Infantry.The teamwork and comms are great alot of people are looking for .This experience and we have it pretty much every night.

If you filter 9th you will find both or our servers in the list.

What i know from experience is, that less people mostly play better coop ( or c&h/ctf etc).

Best thing is to look for a server with TS/Ventrilo and ask to join. Makes more fun and better teamplay.

MfG Medicus

I think ArmA's community is worse than OFP.. a lot of hardcore OFP fans have not made the switch due to the negative views of ArmA...

And a lot of people have bought ArmA expecting it to be another BF2 clone... but they eventually get filtered out... the problem is, the release dates are spread across a large time scale... and so everytime the game is released somewhere else, a new batch of 'bf2'ers are shipped in.

I have no problem with peopel who play BF2, i too palyed it for a short while, i just dont like the way people come over to the game expecting it to be the same and think its right to shoot you in the face, it annoyed me enuff in BF2 but u get used to it, but i aint having it over here on ArmA at all.

Best way to get around it, find a good passworded server and a good community/clan to play with. thumbs-up.gif

I come back for a landing to pick people up, and a player walks up to the nose of the aircraft and shoots me.

Lol, I had that the other day. Some moron wanted to take my Little Bird to fly side missions in Evolution and was mad at me because I was shuttling people to attack cities.

At first he wasn't clear why he wanted it and just kept demanding that I give him the helicopter. I asked why and he kept demanding it. Then he swore at me and threated with his gun pointed at me in the cockpit "I am this close to shooting you in &%^$&@ head".

It was the oddest thing!

I too find irony that the most played mission "Evolution" is as close to BF2 game play as one could get.

So far I've found good results with:

1. Teamspeak communication

2. Doing what other people want

3. Not insisting on leading

4. Helping your teammates above your own score

You will find some very good experiences in ArmA MP along with the bad ones. I have not noticed being TK'd out of MH-6s to be a big problem with me. One tip is to avoid things that bad and disruptive players like.

I think ArmA's community is worse than OFP.. a lot of hardcore OFP fans have not made the switch due to the negative views of ArmA...

And a lot of people have bought ArmA expecting it to be another BF2 clone... but they eventually get filtered out... the problem is, the release dates are spread across a large time scale... and so everytime the game is released somewhere else, a new batch of 'bf2'ers are shipped in.

I have no problem with peopel who play BF2, i too palyed it for a short while, i just dont like the way people come over to the game expecting it to be the same and think its right to shoot you in the face, it annoyed me enuff in BF2 but u get used to it, but i aint having it over here on ArmA at all.

Best way to get around it, find a good passworded server and a good community/clan to play with. thumbs-up.gif

Im going to agree here. I have always regarded BF games to be noob games ... afterall the only skill necessary is throwing grenades, spray and praying and bunny hopping across the map as your throw grenades in every direction ad BF2 was the perfect example of this nonsense on Karkand.

IMO the players that are shipped over from Joint Operations are much more mature and better when it comes to teamwork.

I too find irony that the most played mission "Evolution" is as close to BF2 game play as one could get.

So far I've found good results with:

1. Teamspeak communication

2. Doing what other people want

3. Not insisting on leading

4. Helping your teammates above your own score

You will find some very good experiences in ArmA MP along with the bad ones. I have not noticed being TK'd out of MH-6s to be a big problem with me. One tip is to avoid things that bad and disruptive players like.

No it isnt...

Ever played Bezerk?

Evolution is a COOP, BF2 is Capture and Hold.

Berzerk is Capture and Hold.

Where the hell is all the players i come on a saturday to play some big fun maps with lots and lots of players and the largest bezerk map is 12 players.. hardly fun and the map with the most players was only a 20 player evo.. where is all the players gone, bis what has happned this is playing 1.07

Does seem pretty low, but remember at the moment the worldwide community is split up into loads of different versions of ArmA. We're all waiting for the next official patch release to bring everyone back into line.

Evolution is a COOP, BF2 is Capture and Hold.

Berzerk is Capture and Hold.

...and Joint Operations had both Coop and Capture and hold/secure and advance.

I have found that Evolution has both types of players and it really depends on the server. I have had some great coop games with people that worked as a team playing Evolution. Any time you join a public server it really is a roll of the dice.

I really like the Berzerk maps when you have good people playing. I haven't played the evolution maps because they freeze every time I try to join a server.

I've played some really fun and enjoyable Berzerk matches on the Beer Drinking Assassins server. Almost everybody on my team was in TS and talking. The BDA admins do a pretty god job keeping the riff-raft in line or out altogether.

But when there are no admins around and its the weekend the server fills up with a bunch of kiddies with no sense of respect or decency. They post map markers with profanity, spam TS with fart noises, and dive bombing aircraft into hold points. Not to mention, shooting anyone who dares to pilot THEIR vehicle. These type of people need to be dealt with harshly. There is no want for them in the Arma community.

The 9th Infantry Division Able Company has 2 servers and one of them runs coop all the time.I have to agree that the Berzerk missions IMO are as close to BF2 as you're going to get in ArmA.

SlipperyJim your name sounds familiar I think you've been on the 9th Infantry server for ArmA.If anyone would like to play Evolution with very good teamwork and comms filter 9th

in ArmA join the 9th Infantry server running 1.05 .There are at least 10-12 people on everynight.We move in convoys once Pariaso and Samato are cleared.We've cleared everything on the south island in about 2 hours using teamwork,comms and good tactics.

You seem to be describing 90% of the public TDM/CTF servers. It can be better when in an organized clan vs clan match.

Or try Coop, the objectives dont immideatly fly out of the window and depending on the server you may spent more time talking then shooting. tounge2.gif

(Btw, is there a ZEUS server up for ArmA? Maybe im just completely blind but i havent seen it.. tounge2.gif )

Last time i checked they are still waiting for linux server ArmA

Try BF2 Project Reality mod... that's great gameplay.

Unfortunately ARMA is severely plagued by both cheats and gameplay issues making the "simulator" seem a lot less real than it could.

i agree, that when you're in a server wich you do not know. its less fun to play. Once formilarized with the other regular returning players, then ArmA is truly a great game to play.

I play alot on the Armaholic server and i like it there.

Why? more or less older/mature people who play there,

it's played by dedicated to arma players.

The use of voice communication (Ventrilo)

And the ability that loners or a$$wipes, will be kicked or even banned for ruiining the game

We play only on the locked servers, usually once per week where we have a squadnight that lasts up to 7-8 hours (usually mini campaign aka operation...).

Its all about organizing and putting together ppl that love teamwork smile_o.gif doesn't matter if its PvP or Coop - we always have a lot of fun!

I've been playing Evolution on 1-8 hellkitchen. so far the server was blessed with reasonable amount of "sane" ppl. Quite a few folk join in and are willing to play squad-type game. My call sign is "Alpha One" in case your were at 1-8 hellkitchen u might have come across me. I'm really hoping crCTI or MFCTI will be released soon. TK-ing idiots are sorted out very quickly on "1-8". So far "1-8" was the most stable, teh most populated server.