Sign in to follow this  
AsRock+SD

For 7800 \ 7900

Here's some thing to try for those with 7800's and 7900's 7950's. The heatsink disign is really badly made.

I found with both of these that they block up with loads of dust over a 6 month time. The dust is normaly located right next to the fan on the fins.

The fins close to the fan are VERY prone on picking up dust.

I've helped a few people with this problem now. And if it is this whots making problems for you you will more likly see many flashing triagles on screen.

Expect around 10c - 25c temp drop.

i have passive cooling 7900 but my VGA temp is around 50-60 degrees celsius, VGA is from December 2006, no dust now, so i don't think thic can fix problems with graphical performance

in few months there shouldn't be problem of dust ?

maybe you know what to do to avoid pulsing HDR

my HDR behave like those on Youtube (few degree turn and all becomes too bright or too dark)

and when white object is near (like civilian in white shirt) all darkers

when man in black shirt is near, all brighter

when fire machinegun, HDR pulsing :/

HDR precision is on 16 (32 not able)

do you know how to fix this ?

VGA MSI 7900 GS 256 MB

Sorry for the late reply Vilas. When the stock NV cooler is used the dust builds up next to the fan right in front over the fins.

Tipicaly raising the temps to the 70's+.

As for HDR being a pain well i have only found it a pain in Arma so hopfully they fix it one day HA!.....

My 7950GT ran about 60*C idle and up to 75*C under load with stock heatsinks. I am now using an aftermarket heatsink and the temperature never gets above 55*C.

hi there

I just bought second hand 7900gtx graphic card and have problems with shadows with default setting and with obejcts with maximum quality setting - I used X800 before and it works well but not enough quick

I will be very appreciated if someone look on screen shots and tell me what setting wrong or tell me his graphic card settings or may be this is faulty graphic card.

I tryed operation flashpoint and it works perfect not defects.

http://ice-and-sugar.com/arma/arma-1.jpg

http://ice-and-sugar.com/arma/arma-2.jpg

http://ice-and-sugar.com/arma/arma-3.jpg

installed service pack 1 on my windows 2003 server and fix problems

eVga 7900 GS 256MB AGP

No dust problems, no overheating problems!

Try different drivers for the whiting out problem.

MSI 7900 GS here @600 MHz core... Temperature is 62 max.

I just aplied better Heat pads ti the stock Heat sink...AND high air dustfilters originaly designed for kitchen vapor exhaust hoods to my computer case...since not only GFX but anything inside is prone to dust.

It's down to the manufacturer of the card really. Lots of companies produce cards using the core nvidia chips then modify them and so on, and different companies use different cooling methods so it's not really a problem of the chip itself, but the 3rd party vendor who build the rest of the board around the chip.

The best idea is to get 2 120mm fans (don't get a dirt cheap one, although fans are pretty damn cheap anyway even for the kick ass ones). Stick one on the front of the case and one on the back. Front will draw cool air in, back will push warm air out. There's also some GPU coolers you can install which take up the adjacent PCI slot that will draw air from the card and out the back, and they also tend to reduce the overall case temp by a few degrees too (mainly because GPU's create a crap load of heat and that's being channeled away from the rest of the system).

The PCI solution is a little more pricey than getting some new good fans (bigger ones = more cooling with less RPM thus less noise).

Well it's ram modules on some that overheats too as a lot do not have a heatsink on them.

For the ram modules around 74c they will start to go bad GPU is not to far from it too.

My 7950GTs had heating problems until I purchased and installed after market heatsinks (at which point temperatures dropped 20* C, no joke)