Sign in to follow this  
Major Fubar

Real Life Photography/Photo Editing II - NO IMAGES >100kb

thanks for the wonderful comments on my pics Killage...

when you say they are awsome it really feels great..

your photoes ar as usually world class quality, i suppose it will take me a few years to get to that level... but considering i have only had my dslr for about 6 months i think i have come a long way...

I have that exact same lens. It's quite good at all the things you want but keep in mind that due to the crop factor on most dSLR's the 28mm lower boundary isnt that wide any more smile_o.gif All in all a fantastic allround lens but if you want a wide angle lens I'd go with something more towards 18 - 12 mm lower limit smile_o.gif

Thanks! smile_o.gif Have you got any examples of photos you've taken with it?

About 2500 smile_o.gif It works as advertised ... trust me.

Awesome yay.gif It sounds like a good lens and its within my price range so I may just go for it! I went to the Outsider festival at the weekend and took lotsa pictures, I'll upload them later! smile_o.gif

3.5 - 5.6 isn't really good enough for low light even if the lense has got IS. A 2.8 lense (or better) is a mustfor bad lighting conditions - IS helps but is only really usefull when making still pictures (i.e. nothing involving humans or movement) or when using a large zoom (200+). The IS just allows you to skip the tripod in many occasions. For everything else kick up the ISO and use a wide aperture lense.

Ok, here are some of the pictures from the Outsider festival, please comment! smile_o.gif

Peatbog Faeries

And again!

Guitarist

Peter-Piper

And again!

2 Guitarists

Whole Band

Capercaillie

A ghost!

Capercaillie again

Fine day for the ducks!

Clap your hands say yeah

Willy Mason

Idlewild, I think this one is pretty good.

And again, I like this one too!

And again!

Yep, you guessed it - Idlewild

KT Tunstall

More KT

KT Again

Last one!

Haha, woah... thats a lot, but please have a look if you have time!

My favourite of the "concert" photos are the ones of KT Tunstall and Idlewild. You can see them all here - http://www.flickr.com/photos/soul_jacker/

Verry nice bob! And KT is nice ofc whistle.gif

only thing I could comment is that the close-ups should be a bit more close (gives more atmospehere imo) but that depends on your posistion and zoom I gues...

Thanks. I couldn't really get any closer and it was hard to get a good angle for close ups. Still, some of them are at 210mm! smile_o.gif

A few shots from "Kieler Woche 2007" (biggest Volksfest in Northern Europe, largest sailing event in the world).

kielw_04.jpg

kielw_05.jpg

kielw_08.jpg

What do you do when you come home from work at 1am to an appartment with no electricity, because your roomate didn't pay the hydro bill on time?

Well, you obviously take a moment to reconsider your living situation, but, gotta give credit when due - at least he did pick up some candles - so at this point I can't vent my day's frustrations by shooting up some Nazis in Red Orchestra, but at least I can read, play my acoustic guitar, and try out photography by candlelight:

flamebythecubanspyji7.jpg

atomeatunebycandlelightkp5.jpg

blackcatbythecubanspydi7.jpg

Ranger Bob: Great pics! A good trick for concert shots is to set your camera on spot meter , - 1 ev , and meter off the face, scratch board of a guitar etc so that way you get them properly exposed and the back ground all moody, plus you can have your shutter speed a little faster smile_o.gif

Tovarish: The third shot is off the hook! How did you do that?

Sniper UK: Is that some one placing an earth line to the tail of a big aeroplane? I am confused... Great shot

AfrographX: Nice photos. Good use of DOF. Very Naughty-cal... Thats not really funny is it... confused_o.gif

Yeh it is, my favourite plane, I took 200 or so photos when I got the flight in it.

Tovarish: The third shot is off the hook! How did you do that?

Thanks killagee, it's an HDR - 5 exposures, metered at +3.0, +1.5, 0, -1.5, -3.0, combined with a freeware program called qtpfsgui. Photoshop CS2 also has the ability to render HDR's.

Been playing around with HDR's for a while, and it seems like 5 exposures is the magic number -I've tried with 3 and 4 with most others, but they haven't ended up as nice as this one.

3.5 - 5.6 isn't really good enough for low light even if the lense has got IS. A 2.8 lense (or better) is a mustfor bad lighting conditions  - IS helps but is only really usefull when making still pictures (i.e. nothing involving humans or movement) or when using a large zoom (200+). The IS just allows you to skip the tripod in many occasions. For everything else kick up the ISO and use a wide aperture lense.

Perhaps you should go and try some low light photography. I have with the exact same lens and the aperture settings are quite enough. Try finding a 2.8 lens with this magnification range and then good luck finding the funding.

Your ideas about Image Stabilisation are false. Image Stabilisation is quite usefull for taking pictures of people too. It allows you to use a lower shuttertime and still get sharp images of ANYTHING, even humans, then you would have without it. For action photography (Sports and aviation) some canon lenses have a switch between modes of Image Stabilisation (1 - 2) the second is more usefull for panning. Image Stabilisation if anything is usefull for almost everything except still pictures, in that region nothing will really replace a tripod especially once you get into shutter times of more then 1 second.

About upping you ISO, never ever shoot at anything but the lowest ISO setting your camera can handle. Using anything else introduces way to much noise. If you need to shoot at a higher ISO you are wasting your time and need to get a tripod or more light. Most dSLR's are allready limited to 100 ISO as the lowest setting which I think is rediculous. I don't want a automatic sensor cleaning system (which doesnt really work better then keep your body upside down with the mirror up and hold a vacuum cleaner underneath it) or 12 megapixels (O wow billboard sized prints .... yeah I really do a lot of those) I want 54 ISO. My old Olympus C8080 consumer+ camera had that and it produced the most wonderfully noise free images. To this day I regret not keeping that camera as a second camera. It's image quality can't be beaten, not even by an expensive 5D which still has more noise.

Right, I've got some money and need a new camera.

I'm looking at an EOS 400 kit that has 2 lenses (18-55mm/55-200mm) Battery grip, etc.

I also need a decent lense for taking pictures of planes, 300mm seems good for that, but most lense with that are fairly expensive. Cheap lense sugestions are welcome.

I was looking at the Tamron 28-300mm lense as its resonably priced, but I'm not sure on the quality of it. So again any sugestions of a decent priced 300mm lense would be great.

I'd take the Sigma (70-300 DG Macro APO) over the Tamron. BUT, having used the Sigma at an airshow (see a few pages back) I'd say it was really a bit too slow. (Hence I'm looking at getting some faster, but more expensive, Canon glass)

Cant comment on the Tamron, but I hear its similar performance wise.

Tamron is releasing a new 28-300 lense in October-November sometime with Vibration Reduction...

i guess the prise will be a bit higher then the current 28-300.

im waiting for that one, then i´ll probably replace my Sigma 70-300 APO..

then im looking for a replacement for my kit 18-55 lense... anyone got any reccomendations?

i use a Nikon btw wink_o.gif

I've been using the Sigma 70-300 at the last 2 airshows I was at and it was abit slow.