Sign in to follow this  
Major Fubar

Real Life Photography/Photo Editing II - NO IMAGES >100kb

No, all pictures were taken using a normal Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 USM IS lens. I didn't include the lense specification in the image this time, but you can see the focal length used for the image next to the copyright note.

I don't find it too hard getting good macro shots with a normal zoom (before I bought the zoom I managed quite well with a 50mm fixed focus lense). I simply try to get as near as the minimum focus distance (~1.5m) allows me to, also cropping helps (though most are still at least 50% of the original size).

yeah.. that was my guess that you had cropped the images...

myself i have a Sigma 70-300 (as i said in my post) wich has a minimum distance of 90cm i think... but still i have never managed to get a desent macro shot with it..

but im guessing you use a tripod or monopod right?

Some photos i took last night (was my first try on nightphotos)

Camera used Olympus E500

The beginning

beginqj6.jpg

Nice Lightshow

lightshowyw8.jpg

Strike

strike1qx8.jpg

Wow scary close

strike2tb6.jpg

Greets

hey bionic, good timing on that flash! wow_o.gif

yeah.. that was my guess that you had cropped the images...

myself i have a Sigma 70-300 (as i said in my post) wich has a minimum distance of 90cm i think... but still i have never managed to get a desent macro shot with it..

but im guessing you use a tripod or monopod right?

No, all images were taken without the use of a tripod or similar help. But the high shutter speed (1/400s in full daylight) in combination with the image stabilizer build into the Canon zoom really makes such shots easy. Also the lens' optical performance is very impressive. Even with the 12 megapixel EOS 450D everything's perfectly sharp at 100%, giving a lot of room for cropping.

Here's the uncropped image of the third butterfly pic I posted above:

JB20080726_0571_nocrop.jpg

full size - carefull: > 5MB

and here's a 100% crop (no sharpening except the default Lightroom settings for RAW image export):

JB20080726_0571_crop.jpg

yeah, guess i shoudlnt have any problems getting shots like that with my D300 either...

though the optical performance of my telezoom is not as good as yours and it doesnt have vibration reduction as your have...

i´ll try it out during the weekend...

just tested on my watch too, absolutely no problems at all...

now i´ll try and get some nice bug shots durinmg the weekend wink_o.gif

Some more photos i took this morning

i like the colors on this one looks like a painting

p8017473ow4.jpg

also nice

p8017481am9.jpg

coming in from left

p8017482ol6.jpg

best one so far

p8017480sz3.jpg

a closer look at the last one

closeupvh2.th.jpg

Greets

Some of my favorite pictures of Baghdad I took.

oif15zo5.th.jpg

HUGE MOSQUE

oif16wy7.th.jpg

SOME BLOWN OUT BUILDING AT CAMP LIBERTY

oif17wq0.th.jpg

IRAQI TOMB OF THE UNKNOWN SOLDIER

oif32ai6.th.jpg

SOME LARGE BUILDINGS I'M ASSUMING WERE APARTMENTS

oif33lk8.th.jpg

LARGE MOSQUE AND CEMETERY

oif36cl9.th.jpg

SOME LARGE MONUMENT, HAVE NO IDEA WHAT IT'S FOR

In which region of this nice little world is Nowra?

Sadly, it's about 14 hours drive from where I am : Nowra on Google maps

I just spent a week climbing there, and now I'm back at work sad_o.gif

HDR attempt with an old crappy camera and photomatix.. Clouds were a bit fast..

TestHDR.jpg

I updated my labeling & resize tool. It now features a GUI, complete with live preview and all options (except presets) from the old command line tool. Also some additional metadata tags and some small fixes were added. The command line tool is still included.

LabelWinToolScreen01.jpg

You can download the tool here or using the link in my signature - Microsoft .Net 3.5 required!

Note: this link always points to the most recent version!

Edit 11.8.2008: Fixed a bug: quite a few tags were read from XMP instead of the EXIF metadata, making them useless to anyone not using an Adobe product like Lightroom or CameraRaw. Most of these tags are now read read from the EXIF metadata block instead, which should work whatever camera/software you use. There are a few exceptions, tho: some tags (like lens type and camera serial number) are defined in the EXIF MakerNotes which differ from camera to camera - as I don't have the time to add support for each and every camera type these are still supported only when the respective XMP tags are available.

Edit 13.8.2008: Fixed some more bugs and improved the gui (e.g. available font styles, stretches and weights are now limited to those supported by the currently selected font, textfield now accepts TAB input) and the preview. Added support for the smaller client framework introduced by .Net 3.5 SP1.

DSC00404.JPG

Tilburg - The Netherlands

After 15 minutes the clouds were gone without any rain.. crazy_o.gif

Hey everybody

I have got back to NZ from the last tour of europe, so I will start posting up some of the pics smile_o.gif These are from the Red Bull Air Race I had the pleasure of photographing on a day off in london...

_GED1995.jpg

_GED2008.jpg

_GED2067.jpg

_GED2106.jpg

_GED2131.jpg

Had an annoying wasp on my cake yesterday. Good oportunity to retro-fit my 50mm lens and try some macros. The big disadvantage with using a retro-fitted lens is the very, very narrow focus depth. It took quite a few shots to get the beast right while it was crawling through our sugar and all over the cake!

JB20080816_1112.jpg

JB20080816_1117.jpg

JB20080816_1121.jpg

Just when I was writing this, this small fly landed besides me - and was nice enough to hold still for me to take a shot:

JB20080817_1139.jpg

100% zoom:

JB20080817_1139_100pCrop.jpg

Long time no post. But anyway, here are some images to join in and pale in comparison with all the excellence that's in this topic!

anna.jpg

Polaroid EE-100 special with 667 film

nadja2.jpg

Polaroid EE-100 special with 669 film

6x6.jpg

Hasselblad 500C loaded with (I think) Kodak Portra 400VC

mancrossing.jpg

Nikon D200