Sign in to follow this  
Major Fubar

Real Life Photography/Photo Editing II - NO IMAGES >100kb

Some VERY STRONG work Sniper smile_o.gif I am impressed with the progress I have seen you make as a photographer since you started posting in these threads! Good work mate!

A mate of mine just got an old mini cooper and we figured it would be fun to go to the countryside and take a few shots.

mini1.jpg

mini2.jpg

mini3.jpg

mini4.jpg

Yep very nice, looks pro.

BTW supah, sounds like someone is trying to get some AR.

What do you mean with trying to get some AR?

Dont often step in here..

But glad I did, some really great pics guys smile_o.gif

Great pics joni, im loving the last one brah. smile_o.gif

yep, the shots are really nice especially the first picture looks very well.

I really like the mini copper too. A classic biggrin_o.gif

Somehow the 2nd pic had a "dwarf" effect on me... should be the reverse but suddenly my brains switched to thinking your friend was "dwarved". tounge2.gif Very nice pics. Also grats for Sniper for having such great stuff to photograph (with good results wink_o.gif) and cheers for Tovarish for the tutorial. smile_o.gif

Any tips for taking a group shot of about 15-20 people with the EOS 400D kit lense, btw? Classroom or possibly outside, dunno...

Love that shot of the F-16 Engine Nozzle Sniper smile_o.gif.

devmartiiy8.jpg

"I want the first law of the Republic of Cuba to be reverence towards the dignity of mankind" - José Martí

Guanabo, Havana province Cuba. December 2006.

Took a little spin in the ol' tumbledryer 172 to a airshow at a minute airfield near my homebase called Oostwolde. The weather was crap and this was the only shot I took that day that I personally like. It's a machine I have seen more in the past year then I have seen my grandmother, P-51D Big Beautifull Doll. Kinda stealing the BW idea from Sniper :P

doll1600bw.jpg

Click me for a bigger colour version that was too big for the boards!

Lucky bastards, you with your access to beautiful aircraft :P

Thanks for the kind words mates!! inlove.gif

Any tips for taking a group shot of about 15-20 people with the EOS 400D kit lense, btw? Classroom or possibly outside, dunno...

I would say, make sure to take advantage of having it on widest (that being 18mm). By doing so you get the aperture size to 3.5f. You'll need it wide to get everyone in the picture, and the 3.5f to keep the ISO level down as low as possible (this is indoors, on a sunny day outside one might even need to crank it up a notch).

If you have a tripod that helps (one can get the cheapest ones for not too many euros, obviously pro tripods are much more expensive).

And usually when taking portraits you need a fill in flash. The built in flash is probably not gonna be strong enough. But play around with it before you shoot (in the settings you can change the power of the flash)

Oh and if you really want to be sure to take a good picture, you could scout around like a few days before the actual shot, and try it out at the exact location, so that you have all the settings nailed down (you don’t wanna have to tune everything in when you have 15 ppl waiting for you)

Hmmmm... thought I'd need to keep the f-number a tad higher to avoid "concentration", in other words, blur around the focus point. And well, I doubt noise will have much effect on a pic printed in about a postcard size or less and in B&W. confused_o.gif

Hmmmm... thought I'd need to keep the f-number a tad higher to avoid "concentration", in other words, blur around the focus point. And well, I doubt noise will have much effect on a pic printed in about a postcard size or less and in B&W.  confused_o.gif

depends how far from the object you'll stand obviously. But shooting indoors generally means crappy lighting. So I would stick to a low f number as possible, maybe i've had bad luck, and bad memories from indoor shots : p

but since you'll be away from the object, and have it at widest.. im guessing it wont be your main problem. but not knowing how much light etc you have to play with, its much better to try it out and check in the computer what it looks like. =)

Well, actually I got an idea since I've spent the last 5 years in similar lighting, and have taken few shots... but yeah, it ain't very good. confused_o.gif

Gliding is a very good start in aviation though for my taste far too time consuming when you compare time spent to time in the air. Plus you never really leave the field, you can ... but you don't smile_o.gif

The other mustang present at Oostwolde, this machine apparently might be based there in the near future! smile_o.gif

damnyankee1small.jpg

Hmmmm... thought I'd need to keep the f-number a tad higher to avoid "concentration", in other words, blur around the focus point. And well, I doubt noise will have much effect on a pic printed in about a postcard size or less and in B&W. confused_o.gif

You should rather raise the ISO by one step than use the widest aperture. The kit lens is not the sharpest anyways, and at full aperture it's worst. Using an aperture of 8 or (if possible) higher will give much better results. Just use ISO 200 (or even 400 if the setting isn't too critical and you shoot in RAW mode) and make sure you've got enough light to get a shutter speed of at least 1/200 for good results (nobody's really standing still in any group of 3+ people).

The internal flash is only good for close shots in small rooms - for a big group inside you'll need a good external flash that is able to light the whole scene even at a wide angle and at the distance you'll need to capture the whole group.

Also you should think about using a focal length of about 35mm instead of 18mm. That would be about 50mm equivalent on a non-crop camera, which results in less distortions.

So my recommendations: ISO 200, focal length 35mm, f8 or higher if possible, a good external flash or enough natural light to get a shutter speed of at least 1/200sec. Use a tripod.

The kit lense is a low quality lense. Good (and cheap) for a start, but for anything serious get some better lenses (Tamron 17-50mm f2.8, Canon 17-55mm f2.8 IS USM, Canon 17-40L f4,...). I've stopped using the kit lense completely since I got my Canon 50mm f1.4 USM. It has no zoom and with the 80mm equivalent focal length only it is sometimes hard to get a good shot, but the difference in quality (sharpness, ambient light photography, bokeh) is more than enough to compensate for that.

Hmmmm... thought I'd need to keep the f-number a tad higher to avoid "concentration", in other words, blur around the focus point. And well, I doubt noise will have much effect on a pic printed in about a postcard size or less and in B&W.  confused_o.gif

You should rather raise the ISO by one step than use the widest aperture. The kit lens is not the sharpest anyways, and at full aperture it's worst. Using an aperture of 8 or (if possible) higher will give much better results. Just use ISO 200 (or even 400 if the setting isn't too critical and you shoot in RAW mode) and make sure you've got enough light to get a shutter speed of at least 1/200 for good results (nobody's really standing still in any group of 3+ people).

The internal flash is only good for close shots in small rooms  - for a big group inside you'll need a good external flash that is able to light the whole scene even at a wide angle and at the distance you'll need to capture the whole group.

Also you should think about using a focal length of about 35mm instead of 18mm. That would be about 50mm equivalent on a non-crop camera, which results in less distortions.

So my recommendations: ISO 200, focal length 35mm, f8 or higher if possible, a good external flash or enough natural light to get a shutter speed of at least 1/200sec. Use a tripod.

The kit lense is a low quality lense. Good (and cheap) for a start, but for anything serious get some better lenses (Tamron 17-50mm f2.8, Canon 17-55mm f2.8 IS USM, Canon 17-40L f4,...). I've stopped using the kit lense completely since I got my Canon 50mm f1.4 USM. It has no zoom and with the 80mm equivalent focal length only it is sometimes hard to get a good shot, but the difference in quality (sharpness, ambient light photography, bokeh) is more than enough to compensate for that.

F8, ISO200 and shutter speed of 1/200 indoors in medium light sounds..  DARK. even when cranking up the exposure in pp of the RAW.

at least with my version 18-55 kit lens.

thumbs-up.gif

I've orderd the Tamron 28-75mm 2,8. I've heard mostly good things about it on the canon forums. =)

@supah

You're right the time spent flying versus the time spent on the airfield isn't really balanced. But for me it's the only affordable way of flying. And when you have the right weather flying with a glider is so much better than engine powered flight. biggrin_o.gif

Some beers, a lazy afternoon at the pool, a mini that is ready for hunting season, some wire and the looks worth 10.000 Euro when driving through the village whistle.gif

minipimp.jpg

@supah

You're right the time spent flying versus the time spent on the airfield isn't really balanced. But for me it's the only affordable way of flying. And when you have the right weather flying with a glider is so much better than engine powered flight.  biggrin_o.gif

You should fly more General Aviation smile_o.gif Soar flying is nice but in the end it is VERY limited smile_o.gif I agree on the cost part though!

Well, i guess it cant be too bad for me to put in my two cents in:

This is a John Deere Model 40 (made in 1953 i think):

http://img516.imageshack.us/img516/4210/winter1rszrq0.jpg

Nice pic of an ole fashioned bell in the snow:

http://img530.imageshack.us/img530/3782/winterrszzo2.jpg

And funny "charlie" stick figures on some light armored vehicle (cant remember what) at the United States Air Force Museum... dont ask me why it would be there either i'm still scratching my head on that one too.

http://img527.imageshack.us/img527/627/airforcemuseum2rszlt9.jpg

F8, ISO200 and shutter speed of 1/200 indoors in medium light sounds.. DARK. even when cranking up the exposure in pp of the RAW.

at least with my version 18-55 kit lens.

Jupp, inside you'd definitely need a good external flash - maybe even with a slave, just as I wrote. The Canon 430 Ex would be a good choice as the reflector adapts automatically to the current focal length (and even adjusts for the crop factor). In your original post you wrote about possibly shooting outside, tho - with enough sunshine you'd be quite fine with the kit lens.

Quote[/b] ]I've orderd the Tamron 28-75mm 2,8. I've heard mostly good things about it on the canon forums. =)

I'd rather have gone for the Tamron 17-50mm f2.8 - it's cheap, really sharp, and 28-75mm on a 1.6 crop camera is (imho) just a bit lacking (equal to 44-120mm - almost no wide angle, useless inside! ). The 17-50 on the other hand equals a 27-80mm lens, which is just perfect for a good alround lens (indoors and outside).

Edit: reviews for the Tamron 17-50mm f2.8 and the Tamron 28-75mm f2.8