Sign in to follow this  
Major Fubar

Real Life Photography/Photo Editing II - NO IMAGES >100kb

Nice to see someone still doing analog photography. I just unearthed my old EOS 300 (without a D) from the 'pile of forgotten things'. There was still a roll in it - half used. I wonder what I'll find on it (the roll is at least 4-5 years old, so the result will probably look quite 'interesting'... ). wink_o.gif

Also I'm starting to think I should scan our old slides (a few thousand). Any recommendations on how to proceed with that? Unfortunately I always used the cheap plastic frames, not the good ones with glass windows...

sad_o.gif

Hehe, I love it - It sounds alot like a hippie speaking, but analog really gets you thinking, and getting the right result at shooting time gets more imperative... There is nothing worse than dodging/burning a screwed up B&W image whilst copying.

I am probably not the best person for asking on how to scan slides, I scan and develop most of my colour reversal and slide stuff at my workplace - But I find using a flatbed scanner works decently for getting digital images out of negs and slides that are supposed to be viewed on screen, or printed out small size.

However, seeing as you have so many slides, I'd recomend sitting down with your family, significant other or whomever you share the memory of those slides with and cherry pick which should be scanned/developed and taking that, hopefully much smaller, number of slides down to your local minilab or problab and having them scan them for you. It's usually not too expensive, especially if you go over the magic number fifty.

Na, the slides were already heavily sorted after our travels, I want to keep them as they are. At the moment it looks like I'll buy a good Nikon film scanner (maybe the 5000 model at about 1000 Euro) and sell it again when I'm finished - the loss should be much less than the cost for renting such a scanner or sending the slides to a lab. My second problem with a lab is that I don't have any control over the quality - so far my experiences were mediocre at best. Of course there's professional services that offer very good quality - but those are prohibitive expensive considering the number of slides.

A small (incomplete)series in B&W;

hardcopy1.jpg

hardcopy2.jpg

hardcopy4.jpg

During develping I managed to drop the tank as I was agitating... The result are these dusty/scratched images.

Oh, and anyone who takes pleasure in watching images and reading about the photographers who create them should take a look at this following link, an interview with one of the most prominent Swedish and indeed European photographers still alive: http://www.lensculture.com/petersen.html

2808528709_5ddcc42fd7.jpg

View LARGE

Sony DSLR-A200 18-77mm lens with wideangle teleconverter

2771008096_99c251fbe1.jpg2771006934_0cd7b9b07a.jpg

View LARGE                                                                      View LARGE

Same camera, Tamron 77-300mm lens

Some photos from Italy  biggrin_o.gif

2449416677_c58815442b.jpg

Lufthansa Boeing 737 landing in Malpensa

2449405629_4cd264ccfb.jpg

2449410725_5ca488afab.jpg

MD-11 Alitalia Cargo

2449069941_5d98eaa59e.jpg

My Cat  biggrin_o.gif

2449517683_9dc197e8e3.jpg

Sunset in Malpensa

2924054405_d24653edce.jpg

UCI World Championship Time Trial Varese 2008: Gold Medal Grabsch

moon450d300.jpg

1:1 crop

EOS 450D, ISO 400, time 400, f 5.6

held in hand , lens 70-300

Nice Vilas wink_o.gif

Say.. What Canon camera would match Nikon D700, and which one would be the best choice? In for example: ISO noice/grain, speed, autofocus,

color rendition, weight, handling, settings/menu, RAW/JPG support, etc.

I've read some reviews about D700 and it sounds presicely what I'm looking for. Just that I'm not sure what's Canon's counter-part to the D700.

Don't worry, D300 is also on the "considering-list". Just wanted to get some infomation about the alternatives. There is mostly concern about ISO noise above 1600 which drags D300 down a bit.

Say.. What Canon camera would match Nikon D700, and which one would be the best choice?

Canons counterpart would be the 5D or 5D mk. II if you desperately need the latest kit - My personal taste and current Nikon ownership would dictate the purchase of a Nikon D700. But if I was starting fresh, logic and pricing (you can get a 5D for about $1000, leaving lots of cash for good, quality glass) would make me lean towards the 5D. The only drawback as I see it with the 5D is that it's slower than the D700, at least the original 5D is, I have no experience with the mk.II.

Here is a shot of my latest crazyass beyond my own means purchase, a 35mm f/2.0 Summicron;

summicron.jpg

Yeah its tricky to get good results if you don´t know how to use the tools properly but you can also get pretty funny looking results too.

Here is another example of my tests.

original

u2hdrs3jv2.jpg

way to dark (more like the day after tomorrow) biggrin_o.gif

u2hdrs2vn4.jpg

overdone looks more like a painting but still cool in its own way smile_o.gif

u3hdrspw1.jpg

Nice Vilas wink_o.gif

Say.. What Canon camera would match Nikon D700, and which one would be the best choice? In for example: ISO noice/grain, speed, autofocus,

color rendition, weight, handling, settings/menu, RAW/JPG support, etc.

I've read some reviews about D700 and it sounds presicely what I'm looking for. Just that I'm not sure what's Canon's counter-part to the D700.

Don't worry, D300 is also on the "considering-list". Just wanted to get some infomation about the alternatives. There is mostly concern about ISO noise above 1600 which drags D300 down a bit.

When you decide to buy the 5D (II), keep in mind that all those EF-S (crap) lenses won't work, so watch out that you don't buy one of them (those have different names for Sigma etc lenses!wink_o.gif.

I can't say anything about which one to buy, I never even held a 5D or D700. The 5D is very cheap, but it is way older than the D700 and does not have the sensor cleaning, has a small display etc etc. The new 5DII is state of the art, but well, not cheap. The megapixels don't matter anyway in that league, if you ask me.

I have taken the pic at the Wehrtechnische Studiensammlung in Koblenz maybe you have been there? It´s a great museum 3 or 4 floors packet with military stuff definitely a place to visit. thumbs-up.gif

I have taken the pic at the Wehrtechnische Studiensammlung in Koblenz maybe you have been there? It´s a great museum 3 or 4 floors packet with military stuff definitely a place to visit. thumbs-up.gif

No, never heard about that, but seems like it's definitely worth a look! smile_o.gif

BTW, technical question: Are you guys doing your HDRs with or without tripod? In general, I don't like HDRs too much, as they always are looking a bit artificial, but then, on the other hand, they're sometimes just amazing. I'll just start making some... (Here's a good german video comment about HDRs: http://kwerfeldein.de/index.php/2008/09/09/hdr-meine-meinung-dazu/)