Sign in to follow this  
blackdog~

Children?

I think that the inclusion of civilian children in ArmA would be awesome. What do you all think?

Of course one could debate the fact that Sahrani's population consists of 99.9% men, with one woman reporter, thus making it almost impossible for any children to exist, but I think that through some kind of biomedical engineering I'm sure the Sahranians could easily clone them.

Discuss! pistols.gif

Having a forum thats 80% 12/13 year olds, you'd think by now someone would be adding them ingame.

You'd have thought, wouldn't you...

Still, this opens a HUGE can of ethical worms, child soldiers, child expliotation and whatnot. Personally I think if adults can be killed in game, then so should children. They ARE still people afterall...

[Edit] To clarify - People suck [/Edit]

I guess the biggest problem is the animations (like in OFP), while most of you people can probably make a model that resembles a child in less then 5 minutes, making all the animations would be a crapload of work... tounge2.gif

EDIT:

Quote[/b] ][Edit] To clarify - People suck [/Edit]

I agree.

And TBH, you are not supposed to shoot civilians in the first place, but if/when they somehow die it doesnt really matter if its a man, womand or a child, and its a game anyway.. icon_rolleyes.gif

It would look funny, but just give them adult animations.

I guess the biggest problem is the animations (like in OFP), while most of you people can probably make a model that resembles a child in less then 5 minutes, making all the animations would be a crapload of work... tounge2.gif

If you understand the animation format (which is essentially a collection of matricies) you should be able to write a command line tool which batch re-scales them. Problem solved smile_o.gif

If BIS released kids for Arma, Arma would be taken out of shelves in a lot of countries.

Apart from that, no, I do not need to have children in Arma.

I can´t see how this should improve gameplay.

If you understand the animation format (which is essentially a collection of matricies) you should be able to write a command line tool which batch re-scales them. Problem solved smile_o.gif

I wish someone came up with that when we wanted kids in OFP... tounge2.gif

(I never spent much time animating, just took a look at the very basics)

ArmA is not even on the shelves in most countries... but I see what you mean, maybe it would be best if the children were invincible perhaps, that way any potential psycho-mass-murder-pedophiles cannot use ArmA as a training simulator...

However, in conflicts children have always seemed to be victims as well, and in a war simulator, I think that it is important to show this.

I can´t see how this should improve gameplay.

Not gameplay per-say, but atmosphere. I mean, its bad enough that the island seems to be populated entirely by men, let alone the fact they're all adult men. It becomes somewhat samey after, ohh, 5 seconds...

ArmA is not even on the shelves in most countries... but I see what you mean, maybe it would be best if the children were invincible perhaps, that way any potential psycho-mass-murder-pedophiles cannot use ArmA as a training simulator...

In that case they would just use the adult models.. icon_rolleyes.gif

(Adult models.. Now who wants those in the game? tounge2.gif )

I have no issues adding quite a bunch of females to Arma and I hope BIS will do it, but children imo should be left out of Arma.

I just don´t feel comfortable with it. Of course this is just my opinion.

Quote[/b] ] maybe it would be best if the children were invincible perhaps

I´m pretty sure this would be changed very, very fast by some "cool dude" and spread as an addon that has wound textures and kids screams when the "unit" is hit.

I can already see "Corazol kidsoldier CTF", the latest blast for mindless drones.

Apart from that the press coverage of such would be a definate harm of BIS and their product(s). There are some no-go´s here in europe. One of them is adding children to a shooter.

(Adult models.. Now who wants those in the game? tounge2.gif )

I suppose it would depend on two factors:

1. Your definition of an adult, age-wise.

2. Your definition of a model.

Wasn't Jahve making some new animations? we could just use them.

I would make DM Warchild faster than you can say "kid" if BIS makes such an addon. I would do it just for the commotion's sake to see people stand up to defend the rights of 3D models in a computer game.

Something i would like to add from an older topic, and has a great point to it.

If you have kids (like myself)...that might make you not want to have children in your game. <s>To me, it's just wrong, so I wouldnt d-load any children type addons. (my opinion)</s>

But small people like elves as mentioned up above are good to go. pistols.gifbiggrin_o.gif

i also think women and children shouldnt be hurt, killed in movies, books or any other media....... come on, seriously. Sure some people would kill babies ingame if they could but personaly it just adds more.

Speaking of killing and civillians and stuff, had a multiplayer game when were going very fast in a wheeled APC and well, i drove over her, it feelt so bad but the thing is that my friends still reminds me of the incident and this is YEARS AGO.

I also made a afghanistan cti game thing with suicide bombers that walked around in cities among civillians and killing civs was very costy for the team (lost alot of money) so you couldn't just kill all. I always want to add Rules of engagement things, in another coop the objective was to provide health care to civillians in Provins on Everon.

Having a forum thats 80% 12/13 year olds, you'd think by now someone would be adding them ingame.

Pardon ?

Have a look at the bottom of the main forum page where there is a list of people who have birthday on this very day.

You will notice that far over 80% of the members here are 20+ (in fact between 20 - 27) years old.

To be on-topic.. I dont see the reason why we should have children in the game .... we neither missed them in OFP, so what is the advantage of having them in ArmA ?

Speaking of killing and civillians and stuff, had a multiplayer game when were going very fast in a wheeled APC and well, i drove over her, it feelt so bad but the thing is that my friends still reminds me of the incident and this is YEARS AGO.

This actually made me laugh...

The great thing about running over civilians in OFP, especially during CTI, is the fact that their bodies flew such long distances. Especially when you hit them with something like a bus. I did quite enjoy hurling their body across the desert into one of the airport hangars. Good times...

Edit: That being said, it was enjoyable running over soldiers (enemy and friendly) too but you always ended up getting shot sad_o.gif Hence the enjoyment of running over people that do not shoot back.

Brings back memories of Goldeneye 007 on the "St Petersburg" level where you got to drive the tank around, running over Russian soldiers and hearing their bones crunch. That mission was great.

If you do it it would be seen as a provocation and nothing else. Your 15 minutes of fame. You could just troll these forums for the same effect.

Personally I like controversial games and film and such, but I think children in violent games are pretty pointless. You might be able to get a message across if that was ones agenda, but generally games are made for fun, not for pushing morals. So, my personal fear is they do very little but help gather a rather perveted crowd somewhere.

WTF is the aninimals...

Oh Kids, i guess we need more woman first but it would make the game awesome, teenager sees his mother die. goes out for revenge = great mission lol..

Who cares about those questions.. If you see children with guns in real life, then you should see it ingame too. confused_o.gif

Now where r those little bas7777 pistols.giftounge2.gif

We can already "kill" other men in game (soldiers or even civilians!), and that is ok - nobody is running campaign against it, so what's the big deal.

Insects in game: yes!

Animals in game: yes!

Womens in game: yes!

Childrens in game: yes!

Make them all killable: yes!

If someone wants to make the addon - don't ask, do it.

If someone needs a help to make the addon - don't discourage him, either help him or leave it be.

If you don't like it then don't use it, it's that simple.

To me it is more sicker to have in-game world without women and children, than with them.

As far as ArmA character models go - I would like to see women.

My GF plays too (believe it or not) ..and what's a little distracting is the fact that she has the rather feminine 'amy' voice with a stubbly grunt's body to accompany it. Yeech. crazy_o.gif

Give us ladies! More...all the time....anytime! tounge2.gif

I agree with Balschoiw, it would both hurt BIS's reputation and make the game uncomfortable for a lot of people (me included).

If people has such an urge to shoot kids in video games you could always make an addon because nobody is stopping you... I just don't see anything constructive or positive about it.

I can however agree on adding women because they are engaging in combat all over the world (yes I know kids do too, but that's another story..) and it's not even close to being as controversial as kids.

It will never get added officially.. too much commotion by people and some people will make some utterly retarded 'maps' with children + women etc

Though ive had a mission in mind based on a book which uses a child.. But i guess i'll have to wait for an addon :P Plus im crap at mapmaking biggrin_o.gif