Sign in to follow this  
5133p39

Stripped down, OFP-like graphics, anyone?

A feature I'd like to see is less CPU intesive trees and forests. I have a mid range pc (or what ArmA considers to be mid range). The thing that makes me die with laughter is that i can have the view range to 10k, with 'high' settings for models, textures and AA, with low Postprocessing and shadows and shaders. With these settings i can get 35+ Fps with very litte effort. But as soon as i hit a forest it dies. I've try to tweak the settings to get better performance but with no luck. I'd like to see some new trees that dont kill your machine. smile_o.gif

Let me explain what minimum requirements mean:

If you have these specs, the game will load.

It makes no warranty as to how well it will play or if you will enjoy it. It strictly a legal thing. When you look at the minimum requirements, think double as to what you see. Also another good rule of thumb is when you bought your pc and how powerful it was when you bought it. A top of the line pc from four years ago will run the game. A midrange pc from 3 years ago will run the game and a crappy pc from today will not run it.

--Ben

@benreeper:

Yes, you're right. If you read my post again I said that "10 FPS doesn't mean running the game IMO". It's just my opinion.

However I never had problem running game, where I fulfiled minimal requerments closely, at least a bit smoothly.

Actually my PC is a bit above ArmA's minimals.

@all:

It seems that I might be able to replace the original trees and bushes for performance improvement.

Well, it'll take me some time and I can't promise you anything wink_o.gif .

Do you want see your FPS going to stratosphere? Just download sgtAce's Everon with OFP trees. You have slight stripped down graphics and huge fps boost. It's the vegetation and trees in Arma the cause FPS can be not so high. If modders like sgt_ace change this, fps will not be a problem anymore.

how about swinging trees, i dont need swinging trees

maybe a reworked bush model which have less poly count and less shading needed?

nah the low fps arent caused in the swinging trees...the real problem is the ability to chop them down. It is a huge effort for the cpu when there are 200+ entities on you screen. On everon the forest is a static one but you can see that there is an inprovenmet compared to ofp because the islands is much smoother than the ofp one.

So if all trees, houses, fences and co were static objects, you would get a very massiv fps increase i think. This would only be able for some singleplayer mod to tweak the configs of the houses and to convert ofp forests onto sahrani... whistle.gif

regards, telejunky smile_o.gif

@benreeper:

Yes, you're right. If you read my post again I said that "10 FPS doesn't mean running the game IMO". It's just my opinion.

However I never had problem running game, where I fulfiled minimal requerments closely, at least a bit smoothly.

Actually my PC is a bit above ArmA's minimals.

@all:

It seems that I might be able to replace the original trees and bushes for performance improvement.

Well, it'll take me some time and I can't promise you anything  wink_o.gif .

yay biggrin_o.gif

@all:

Well, it'll take me some time and I can't promise you anything wink_o.gif .

This would be great! With the huge bust in fps due to the trees and vegetation replacement, people like me with a medium-low computers could rise the graphics options a lot.

OK, I'm sorry guys, but it seems that I've bitten more than I can chew.

I can get some experimental models ingame, but I found the biggest problem with collisions.

I just don't know how to make it flatten down on impact.

Hopefully when someone manages to do fully working decoder of ODOL .p3d's then I'll be able to continue.

Once again sorry, I've overestimated my abilities confused_o.gif .

Yesterday i had a thought. How about deleting the normal map? Just edit the .paa to a flat, monotone texture so there isn't any edge or bordering more. To all low end gfx card, there must be a definitve fps increase or? Or just down sizing the textures ? wink_o.gif

Maybe i give it a try...

Yesterday i had a thought. How about deleting the normal map? Just edit the .paa to a flat, monotone texture so there isn't any edge or bordering more. To all low end gfx card, there must be a definitve fps increase or? Or just down sizing the textures ? wink_o.gif

Maybe i give it a try...

Setting shader detail to very low should disable normal maps.