Sign in to follow this  
cef71

Steady

Maybe it's just me but my aiming seems a bit unsteady. Are there any game options I can change to ease this? Like what's that 'Floating' slider underneath the mouse sensitivity?

Also, I play on a notebook and do not have a separate number pad. How do I change from 1st to 3rd person view?

well use a mouse for one.

change the settings from first to 3rd person by re-mapping keys in option/controls to maybe space key and remove the other space assigned key or use a 4th button on you’re mouse

and you’re laptop may not have a Powerful enough video card to run the game. so it seems like it is jaggy slippery like skipping frames

I am using a mouse. And I have looked in the 'game control options' and I cannot find the control for 1st to 3rd person view. I also read in the manual about 'concentration mode' in which you control your breathing to aim steady....yet it doesn't say how to enter 'concentration mode'.

-Put that slider all the way to the left

-Reduce your mouse sensitivity until you get comfortable with it

-3rd person view is bound to the 'V' key by default I think

-The concentration is actually called 'hold breath' in the controls settings and it is bound to the right mouse button by default if I remember correctly, I suggest you bind it to another key.

-RTFM wink_o.gif

If you are talking about the aiming 'drag', do a search for 'render frames ahead' or 'flip queue size' on this forum.

Thnak you for that input Highlander. We were all noobs once and I noticed he joined in 2002. smile_o.gif

HIGHLANDER @ May 19 2007,03:40)]i alwyas said to many noobs play this game whistle.gif

Many "noobs" dont know that if you "Run" or are "Wounded"

your aim is basically screwed!

Rest for a second or two or get healed and your aim will

be O.k....

or in my case just a bit better icon_rolleyes.gif

stonewall

Maybe it's just me but my aiming seems a bit unsteady.  Are there any game options I can change to ease this?  Like what's that 'Floating' slider underneath the mouse sensitivity?

Also, I play on a notebook and do not have a separate number pad.  How do I change from 1st to 3rd person view?

Floating zone deternines how much mouse drag there is between moving the rifle and your POV. Try putting it to max or min.

Enter (Numberpad) - Toggle 1st/3rd Person View.

V - Using sights/optics.

I am using a mouse.  And I have looked in the 'game control options' and I cannot find the control for 1st to 3rd person view.  I also read in the manual about 'concentration mode' in which you control your breathing to aim steady....yet it doesn't say how to enter 'concentration mode'.

Consentraion mode = hold breath in controle settings.

Now that was a very informative post you made [-DST-] HIGHLANDER. I'm sure that if would could all provide people with that level of help, this game is soon to be very popular...

Regarding the unsteady mouse thingy - In arma the sight is never 100% steady. So if you compare it to games like CS and BF2, it will allways seem unstady to you.

But wounds, and Sprinting does make it worse.

HIGHLANDER @ May 19 2007,03:40)]i alwyas said to many noobs play this game whistle.gif

And too many immature kids reading forums when it's past their bedtime it seems!!

I always said too many ignorant fools play this game huh.gif

There is little point provoking each other further smile_o.gif

In answer to the thread, the aim is always slighty unsteady because its a realisitic game, and if you've ever held a rifle you'll find it always moves slighty as people can't hold their arms that steady.

Its also due to other factors like of course the condition of the player, but its best to be prone when firing or on one knee ... it is possible to shoot well in ArmA standing up ... but it just needs practise wink_o.gif

In answer to the thread, the aim is always slighty unsteady because its a realisitic game, and if you've ever held a rifle you'll find it always moves slighty as people can't hold their arms that steady.

Yes there is the trembling of hands, it's just that in real life it isn't as scripted, consistent or predictable but you still have more control of your aim IRL, and your gun does not lag behind when you sway it horizontally

crazy_o.gif

EDIT:Even with floating zone slider all the way down it still lags behind a bit, like the gun isn't one solid object or something...

I'm sure a mod might sort this out....

and your gun does not lag behind when you sway it horizontally  

crazy_o.gif

I'm sure a mod might sort this out....

If you are talking about the aiming 'drag', do a search for 'render frames ahead' or 'flip queue size' on this forum.

Maybe i should just stop posting it, people who dont read dont deserve to aim well.. tounge2.gif

Just do what i said.

(Seriously, next time a person whines about aiming/mouse lag/drag/whatever the only thing im going to post is 'Haha, you cant read!' )

self smuggery aside, please understand that i am not referring to the floating zone at all, I mean the way the sight lags behind slightly too long even with it all the way down...

I know, now just do what i said and find the solution..

(Or wait an eternity for a mod to fix this, which cannot be done trough mods, its a driver setting icon_rolleyes.gif )

[-DST-] HIGHLANDER, da rat

+1 WL for flaming each.

Is it possible to change the config so that the hold breath button works a bit better?

Right now I can't really tell whether It does anything or not.

I understand that snipers take a few deep breaths to oxygenate their blood before holding their breath before a shot. It would be great if snipers and marksmen had this feature too. It could be done with a sound file. Just make the effect more noticable in general though and I'd be happy.

Holding right mouse button (default for Hold Breath) when in scope mode does steady the aim.  It gets less effective the longer you hold.

Note: you will hear yourself breathing more heavily as if you were running.  Funny since you are supposed to be holding your breath but tells you if you are holding too long.

To answer the last two posts, the way the default key binds are set up, the right mouse button does two things when you keep it pressed :

-it zooms

-it holds your breath

Now it is all nice and well if you just zoom for like 2 seconds, but if you hold the mouse button for longer than that, the fact that you are holding your breath will make your aim worse.

So bind hold breath to another key.

Someone correct me if I am saying somthing stupid, it's 4 am and I am way tired.

I hope this is useful.

To answer the last two posts, the way the default key binds are set up, the right mouse button does two things when you keep it pressed :

-it zooms

-it holds your breath

Now it is all nice and well if you just zoom for like 2 seconds, but if you hold the mouse button for longer than that, the fact that you are holding your breath will make your aim worse.

So bind hold breath to another key.

Someone correct me if I am saying somthing stupid, it's 4 am and I am way tired.

I hope this is useful.

Kwato makes more sense at 4am than most of you do at noon. wink_o.gif

Try binding "hold breath" or "breath control" or whatever it is to a different key and watch the white crosshairs "squish" closed when you press it. It's rather profound!

One second is all you need, just don't rush it.

Stalk your target, find a good position, go prone and relax your breathing. Observe your target through the telescopic sight, estimate range, correct elevation, lead the target if moving or follow it till a better opportunity arises. Notice how much your sight picture moves, now press 'hold breath'. You can steady your aim while holding your breath for about a second, before your body starts to react and affect your shot. Releasing breath will take you 2 to 4 seconds to recover your aim.

Remember even though the majority of ArmA sniper rifles uses a fixed scope, where you don't use right mouse button to zoom, you must assign 'hold breath' to it's own unique key. As Kwato says 'lock and zoom' and 'hold breath' are by default bound to the same key. ArmA's wide distances forces you to use the zoom in key, whenever you move, observe or orient yourself. If you play with the default setting, you will continuesly exhaust yourself and lower your accuracy.

Again, correct elevation, lead if target is moving, stready on center mass, hold breath and squize the trigger.

P.S. Please reassign also 'reveal target' to a seperate key. So you don't spam the radio with enemy reports. whistle.gif