Sign in to follow this  
adumb

WIP: stuff you are working on!

@ June 21 2008,18:59)]The main question now is whether or not use AS map.

I was using AS maps for weaps but have since shied away from it. Yes, resources is one issue but I think better results are obtained from shading the model properly on the diffuse and by having a good spec map.

As a change of topic, in keeping with the KAC theme, here is an M110. There's something about it I don't like. I think especially the stock but I'm not sure what to do since its plastic.

Anybody have suggestions?

m110v1zb1.jpg

Personally it looks like 5 or so different objects from different weapons placed together.

As in the varying shades of tan (I'm not sure if this was your intention or not, my knowledge of US weapons is poor) make the whole thing look like its not one whole weapon, but 5 different parts, which isn't aesthetically pleasing.

The buttstock looks strange because it looks as if it has one matt colour applied, and in comparison to the much better upper receiver and very very nice fore grip/rail thingy, its quite bland.

As a change of topic, in keeping with the KAC theme, here is an M110. There's something about it I don't like. I think especially the stock but I'm not sure what to do since its plastic.

2 points

A bit of dirt and some scratches should help tie in your diffrent tones and shades of tan.

I think its often good to realize that there are quite a lot of things in this world that are astheticaly a little 'off '. And that as a creator its OK to let it go sometimes, especialy if the creation is true to its origin. So if thats how you think it looks then thats how it should be. Besides its a killing tool. Who cares if its a bit butt ugly?

dscn0158fr3.th.jpg

I belive this is how it should look like.

You made the mesh too flat. Save yourself with normal map now maybe (I wouldn't)? Or modiffy the mesh (never too late, that's what I keep dooing all the time sad_o.gif ).

Unless there is a new version which is flat on the sides.

Your grip also seemed too flat to me but now it lookis just fine.

And add some variation on specular for the stock, the surface is kind of rough.

PS: there is a lot of M110 high definition pictures here:

http://www.militaryphotos.net/forums....&page=4

You can find it usefull when adding detail to receiver (the split line) etc.

Although it seems to have different catches etc.

the stock looks as it doesnt fit on the weapon..

the lower part of the stock where it meets the reciver isnt lined up (its off by a mile litterally), take a look at the pic posted by Panda..

and also as panda said.. make the sides of the stock a bit rounded and not as flat, i think that would make it look a bit better.

other then that i think it looks quite nice smile_o.gif

These are some great points everyone.

I'll work on the model and textures a bit more and post the improvements.

I still want to add some details to a couple places and some tweaks to the normal and spec maps but as far as I'm concerned, its pretty much finished.

m110v1yz3.jpg

The "pieced together" look is intentional and in my view is true to the real thing. Its ~7k tris so its on par with the BIS M107 and it has 1 section (1x 2048^2 tex), whereas the M107 has 3.

There is an unsuppressed version as well with mostly the same statistics.

I may complement the M110 and SR25k with an SR47 and maybe an SR15 and we'll call it a KAC pac smile_o.gif

Also, we're debating now whether or not to include a "weapon attachment" script that would allow detaching a suppressor during a mission.

dont those "spots" on the front end of the suppressor meant to face inward /concave instead of facing outward/convex?

looks like a dildo ...

looks like a dildo ...

thanks neph... spat my coffee over the keyboard at work... and also some very horrible imagry too biggrin_o.gif

dont those "spots" on the front end of the suppressor meant to face inward /concave instead of facing outward/convex?

Someone forgot that Green channel of normal map should be reversed?

looks like a dildo ...

thanks neph... spat my coffee over the keyboard at work... and also some very horrible imagry too  biggrin_o.gif

Just did the same... crazy_o.gif

hey what.. i cant help it..

you have to admit the likeness is....

it looks like.. uhm well.. i guess we have underaged people around tounge2.gif

naughtytr8.jpg

Quote[/b] ] Messiah : ... and also some very horrible imagry too

it gives CQB a complete different meaning doesnt it yay.gif

penetration must be impressive

They don't taste good, besides the coffee at work is for free tounge2.gif

Indeed, there should be dimples in the supressor rather than pleasure dots.

Also, would it be possible for you to texture the black line on the receiver marking where the upper and lower receiver components are separated.

I'm sure you can see what I mean on these two photos:

http://photos.imageevent.com/smglee/ss2008/huge/DSCN0156.JPG

http://photos.imageevent.com/smglee/ss2008/huge/DSCN0157.JPG

There's also some detail stamped into the back of the dust cover (the metal plate that covers the extractor port) that the textures would benefit from, rather than keeping it as a flat plate.

@da12thMonkey

Are those pics of a Airsoft, or the real deal?

It looks like the scope would get in the way of cocking it if it were real, I have a single shot Sabre Defence M4, and you need to really pull the lever out with some force to cock it.

Cheers

GC

wow is that for arma! crazy_o.gifcrazy_o.gif

Awesome textures! wow_o.gif

edit

What is that ring for, arround the barrel at the front? huh.gif

to get the cleaning rod out more easily.

a friend told me that this is quite common.