Sign in to follow this  
adumb

WIP: stuff you are working on!

i totally respect her knowledge. but a lil bit criticism has to be allowed. tounge2.gif

edit: oh no! another page of this shit...i'm sorry...really

A girl playing arma, creating content for arma and knows what she's talking about? *head explodes*

Otherwise on the topic of the 'leather' buildings, I would say they look leathery but not like leather. My only suggestion would be to try and break up that crumpled pattern with some smoother sections as well as rough protruding cracks etc. Also perhaps try to add some colour variation around areas such as edges like at the bottom of the structure where there would be more dirt/sand build up.

_44167533_416_1kabul_ap.jpg

610x.jpg

guys i need your opinion

if i can get oxygen working

instead of using the stryker tow turret

should i use a hummv tow launcher?

so my racs version has an AT function

guys i need your opinion

if i can get oxygen working

instead of using the stryker tow turret

should i use a hummv tow launcher?

so my racs version has an AT function

Yeah, sounds good.................

Gives the AT facility for a force on a budget........

Otherwise on the topic of the 'leather' buildings, I would say they look leathery but not like leather. My only suggestion would be to try and break up that crumpled pattern with some smoother sections as well as rough protruding cracks etc. Also perhaps try to add some colour variation around areas such as edges like at the bottom of the structure where there would be more dirt/sand build up.

I agree with tank commander on the visuals of the buildings, however being a n00b I will still keep my observations to what I know.

Such as the mud walls;

The wall can have cracks or they can be smoothed out. The longer dwelling is standing without up keep the more cracks appear. (Duh)

Most of the building of the Qalats in Afghanistan take place in the spring to early summer. There are a group of builders that have the know how to construct these mud wall structures. My interpreters would tell me that there use to be many of these builders, but just like everything else, the 30+ yrs of conflict have diminished the  knowledge base to a small select few in each province.

Now, I have read some comments from some and I 'think' that some are basing their judgments on what they know, with little knowledge of what is on the ground there, except for a few.

The Qalat walls can be very high, some times over 5 meters. They are also very tough. Unlike the buildings I encountered in my tours in Iraq, which the buildings were not that tough, were our munitions did not work like advertised, due to the munition being designed for European or US construction standards, work arounds had to be made. In Afghanistan, the Mud walls of the Qalats at first look weak, but they are very thick at the base and our experience of Iraq did not play out. Such as a simple burst of fifty would go through a wall or open a loop hole, etc. In Afghanistan, that is not the case.

Point being, those that make the walls for the compounds need to have the walls made with this in mind for the game.

Going back to the 'look' of the walls of the structure, I would say a Benson's walls have more of a 'correct' looks than most give him credit. I have sent him a link to more photos and as this old dog figures out how to post a smaller 100 kb pic to the web without making the detail to small I will post it here to illustrate what I mean.

Picture of a qalat in Paktika province

Allot of Qalats (and their mud walls) DO stand out against the terrain.

Finally, Benson's Qalat towers are fine and better than the ones that came before. The ones that come later will get better as time goes on. As the first ones were square and his are round (better) and the later ones will have all the different shapes and more importantly -sizes.

I do have to point out that my time in Afghanistan is in the Paktia, Khost, Paktika, Ghazni provinces and I cannot say how it is, looks in the other location in Afghanistan.

Robert the n00b

Admin - IF I violated any rules, please inform me of such so I can post this reply in the proper manner and place.

k guys. after all that talking i started a new texture from scratch. i'll now add dirt and detail step by step. for now the most detail is in the normalmap (as neph adviced) which looks pretty good i think. if u get closer it looks a bit plain but i'm gonna find a balance.

i also added more poly to the tower (thx to plaintiff for the advice) to make it look more like that http://i163.photobucket.com/albums....ess.jpg more edgy not just like a tube.

http://i582.photobucket.com/albums/ss263/BadBenson/1.jpg

nice work

reminds me of ross kemp in afghanistan tounge2.gif

Incredible mate - STUNN-ING! biggrin_o.gif

Very good job everybody, nice to see something new for Missions Editor smile_o.gif Keep the good work on wink_o.gif

Fast Bulldozer preview of the new model of KH29T (AS-14 Kedge) Air to Ground missile.

While we already have ingame the L version, the Kh-29T is the TV-guided variant and has a top speed of Mach 1.0, with a range of 12 km.

I remade all the seeker, trying to give it a more realistic look, also filed away some un-needed polys and made a new texture. It's a work in progress, I'm finishing the material maps, and also texture will have some more decals and a lil bit of weathering.

Enjoy smile_o.gif

KH-29T2.jpg

Very good job everybody, nice to see something new for Missions Editor smile_o.gif Keep the good work on wink_o.gif

Fast Bulldozer preview of the new model of KH29T (AS-14 Kedge) Air to Ground missile.

While we already have ingame the L version, the Kh-29T is the TV-guided variant and has a top speed of Mach 1.0, with a range of 12 km.

I remade all the seeker, trying to give it a more realistic look, also filed away some un-needed polys and made a new texture. It's a work in progress, I'm finishing the material maps, and also texture will have some more decals and a lil bit of weathering.

Enjoy smile_o.gif

KH-29T2.jpg

mmmmnice will look nice on the mig 31 firefox am working on wink_o.gif

Mig-31 doesn't use air-to-ground missiles, only air-to-air...

Mig 31 BM can carry antiradiation missiles like KH-31 or KH-58.

But this is a strike missile, similar to the Maverick smile_o.gif

Anyway, are you building up the fictional Firefox, from the 80's movie?

In than eventuality you can arm it up what whatever you want, lol smile_o.gif

Mig 31 BM can carry antiradiation missiles like KH-31 or KH-58.

But this is a strike missile, similar to the Maverick smile_o.gif

Anyway, are you building up the fictional Firefox, from the 80's movie?

In than eventuality you can arm it up what whatever you want, lol smile_o.gif

yes it is the fictional Firefox i wos thinking of doing two one for AA and one for AG work

Some of my upcoming units, Notice the greenish tint to the ACU's. That is what they actually look like.

Anywhoo

cff0e928482394.gif

d8ff9928482395.gif

c79a3d28482396.gif

Anyone who has ever used U.S. Army issue body armor with the molle setup would know that its pretty much impossible to mount magazine pouches at an angle like in the first picture. I would recommend mounting them in a normal fashion. They are looking good though, keep up the good work.

Anyone who has ever used U.S. Army issue body armor with the molle setup would know that its pretty much impossible to mount magazine pouches at an angle like in the first picture. I would recommend mounting them in a normal fashion. They are looking good though, keep up the good work.

Was actually just changing that as I read your post, so that's fixed, thank you.

Anyone who has ever used U.S. Army issue body armor with the molle setup would know that its pretty much impossible to mount magazine pouches at an angle like in the first picture.

Wrong.

Actually with a Tactical Tailor MOLLE 45 degree panel you can. However most guys are using a chest rig or harness instead of mounting it to the IOTV.  I know guys in my Afghanistan tour (07-08) that had those panels added to their chest harnesses but usually for mounting pistols.

http://www.tacticaltailor.com/45degreepanel.aspx

Hey Monty67t, since you were deployed as a fly boy, maybe you could suggest for a work in progress the air warrior kit for ARMA. Say pictures etc for the air crews, etc.

Now that is a missing kit, that an air jockey can talk about! You can help one of the modelers gt the kit right!

Guest RKSL-Rock

He's refering to the fictional Mig-31 Firefox...

firefoxph_title.jpg

[/img]http://hsfeatures.com/images/firefoxph_title.jpg[/img]

tounge2.gif yup thats it i think iv got it looking all most like it  god ma modeling is comeing on good in O2 biggrin_o.gif

just one thing do i go with the all black from the film or have a go at doing a  camouflage for it  huh.gif wos thinking of do a Digital Camouflage for it  confused_o.gif

Anyone who has ever used U.S. Army issue body armor with the molle setup would know that its pretty much impossible to mount magazine pouches at an angle like in the first picture.

Wrong.

Actually with a Tactical Tailor MOLLE 45 degree panel you can. However most guys are using a chest rig or harness instead of mounting it to the IOTV.  I know guys in my Afghanistan tour (07-08) that had those panels added to their chest harnesses but usually for mounting pistols.

http://www.tacticaltailor.com/45degreepanel.aspx

Hey Monty67t, since you were deployed as a fly boy, maybe you could suggest for a work in progress the air warrior kit for ARMA. Say pictures etc for the air crews, etc.

Now that is a missing kit, that an air jockey can talk about! You can help one of the modelers gt the kit right!

U.S. ARMY ISSUE, not aftermarket. If we're talking aftermarket then there is a ton of stuff you could create.

As for the air warrior, if someone was interested I could provide tons of pictures and information. The group I play with already has some custom ACU air crew units but we haven't taken the time to model the proper air warrior gear yet.

Here's a pic of me in first generation air warrior in Iraq, 2005.

AIR WARRIOR

tounge2.gif yup thats it i think iv got it looking all most like it  god ma modeling is comeing on good in O2 biggrin_o.gif

just one thing do i go with the all black from the film or have a go at doing a  camouflage for it  huh.gif wos thinking of do a Digital Camouflage for it  confused_o.gif

Very good idea to build a firefox thumbs-up.gif

I love the fictional stuff in ArmA.  smile_o.gif

Cheers,

mike