Sign in to follow this  
adumb

WIP: stuff you are working on!

Could it be the Geo lod is too big?

Hm, I doubt that considering this building is smaller than the BIS hotel.

Ana01.jpg

Ana02.jpg

ANA prepare for a patrol on Avgani Village.

Retexture of the Armed Hilux.

Opteryx the interiors are very nice smile_o.gif

Nice inspiration you had.

HEY ALL

im starting again on my addons

and now im working on a new soft shelter

SOFTHAS.jpg

SOFTHAS2.jpg

SOFTHAS_3.jpg

SOFTHAS_4.jpg

cya

eddyD

Those look very nice!

I take it your doing both doors opened also right?

Have you thought of doing the same shape but with camo nets?

cool! smile_o.gif

I had this dream about an abandoned asylum so I tired to remake it, but my modeling skills are far too limited to get the same amount of detail.

[imghttp://i232.photobucket.com/albums/ee219/Opteryx_album/asylum.jpg[/img]

the interior is pretty basic, I intend to add some random crap laying around and maybe some blood splattered mattresses.

[imghttp://i232.photobucket.com/albums/ee219/Opteryx_album/asylumcopy.jpg[/img]

However something weird is happening, I am unable to shoot through the windows for some reason, also objects on the outside are being occluded when looking through the windows. The geo/fire/view LODs are identical and as they should be, I can't figure out why the model is acting like this. Here's the geo LOD.

[imghttp://i232.photobucket.com/albums/ee219/Opteryx_album/geolod.jpg[/img]

It's all convex, vertices  weighed, closed, named components etc. so I can't figure out what's wrong, got any ideas?

I think your problem may be an rvmat issue but I'm not sure...

The primary reaon I'm writing is to say that I think that that looks very good. The external texture tiles look a bit repetitive though. If you can, you should shake it up and make some variations, and then make random ones different. If your texture is small enough, you can double it's size and make 3 different variations, then scaling the uvs back will be very easy. Otherwise you can try to make different sections. As there won't be 10,000 of these objects on screen at the same time, it shouldn't be a problem.

Making things detailed is more a matter of time, resolve, and reference, I think. Your modelling skills seem more than adequate.

However something weird is happening, I am unable to shoot through the windows for some reason, also objects on the outside are being occluded when looking through the windows. The geo/fire/view LODs are identical and as they should be, I can't figure out why the model is acting like this. Here's the geo LOD.

I have come across a similar situation before.Unfortunately I had to conclude that something with the p3d was corrupt or broken and remodeled. Though I actualy exported all my meshes out of O2 then reimported them to save myself some work. Though its also possible that it was the proccess that allowed me to pick up the error while checking the re-imported mesh

All I can sugest is to double check for textures, and non convexities. And it may pay to ensure that there are no shared verticies between geo components.

Was thinking another simple way of adding a bit of variation to your asylum walls is to randomly place a decal with a bit of grafiti or tatered pin board etc.

@Panda[PL], Thanks for the offer of help, wll certainly keep it mind for when the time comes.

The primary reason I'm writing is to say that I think that that looks very good.  The external texture tiles look a bit repetitive though.  If you can, you should shake it up and make some variations, and then make random ones different.  If your texture is small enough, you can double it's size and make 3 different variations, then scaling the uvs back will be very easy.  Otherwise you can try to make different sections.  As there won't be 10,000 of these objects on screen at the same time, it shouldn't be a problem.

Making things detailed is more a matter of time, resolve, and reference, I think.  Your modeling skills seem more than adequate.

I'm trying to be very economical with this stuff, I don't know if this is effective use or texture space, but here's the texture for the entire structure:

block8_b.jpg

texture map is 1024 x 1024 px, model is 4618 faces and 1 section.

I have come across a similar situation before.Unfortunately I had to conclude that something with the p3d was corrupt or broken and remodeled. Though I actual exported all my meshes out of O2 then reimported them to save myself some work. Though its also possible that it was the process that allowed me to pick up the error while checking the re-imported mesh

All I can suggest is to double check for textures, and non convexities. And it may pay to ensure that there are no shared verticies between geo components.

Was thinking another simple way of adding a bit of variation to your asylum walls is to randomly place a decal with a bit of graffiti or tatered pin board etc.

I fixed the problem with the collision LODs, not sure what, but I think it might have been what you described about components sharing vertecies. So, what is a decal?

Anyway, here's some more pics:

asylum-1.jpg

asylum2.jpg

asylum3.jpg

asylum4.jpg

asylum5.jpg

I'd like to add more interior, but that would require an additional texture map, I guess raising the component count to two wouldn't really hurt as long as the rest of the resolution LODs go down to one.

Hi, to me what he means with "decal", it's a plain with a texture

mapped on top (with alpha channel) and placed in front of any of

the interior walls of the building; like the BIS bullet impact holes.

Have you though in add some BIS rubbish pile in some of the rooms?

like those ones that can be seen here and there by Avgani?, i think

that resized to fit into the rooms and made walkable or even "ethereal"

may look good and add the wanted atmosphere without consume too

much in resources. Let's C ya

Hey Opteryx, thats looking really cool, you should definitly up the texture size to 2048 for a building that size though, I'd go for pixel density of the existing texture over variation personally, but more variation would be good too.

Are you gonna do a normalmap?

As suggested by wipman, a decal is a smaller textured face that sits in front of any walls in random locations that you map "stuff" (other smaller textures like skuff marks or graffiti or shell blasts etc) to break up the repeat textures. Makes it look like they arn't repeat textures.

Just make sure you space them a little bit off the wall (not too much that its visible) and "MOVE TO TOP".

This reduces the "flicker" at a distance they may get.

With several LODs you can simply delete these random textures on bigger distances.

Bloody nice building, looks fun to race round inside of ... armed wink_o.gif

Looking really good, you could make the texture 2048 × 2048 and just get the plasterwork parts on the new area and give that some variation. some missing plasterwork around the windows and wall edges, quite understandable for a empty building in a warzone. wink_o.gif

The building could also use some kicked up dust on the lowest part that hits the ground. Makes the building look more blend in with the ground.

Right, I bumped up the texture to 2048px, looks better naturally, the .psd was this size originally so I didn't scale it down. As for normal maps, I'm not really fond of these, maybe in ArmA 2.... Also I added a little more detail to the texture and interior, it doesn't really give the 'full' feel I want, but it's good enough for now, maybe I'll make some variations with more stuff someday later. Actually while working with this building I've been inspired to maybe make a ghost town a'la Silent Hill with quite a few enterable buildings... but I need to finish what I'm working on right now, starting too many projects and not finishing them is a BAD habit I'm working on getting rid of.

Here's some high-res pics, it's nothing amazing, but I had fun working on this building and it has given me some cool ideas.

http://i232.photobucket.com/albums/ee219/Opteryx_album/1-17.jpg

http://i232.photobucket.com/albums/ee219/Opteryx_album/2-16.jpg

http://i232.photobucket.com/albums/ee219/Opteryx_album/3-14.jpg

http://i232.photobucket.com/albums/ee219/Opteryx_album/4-8.jpg

Gnat @ Jan. 04 2009,16:16)]Lovely!

BTW, are you using proxies to do the furniture ?

Much easier that way.

Nope, raises the component count from what I've been able to figure out, also I can edit the individual object to create some minor variation.

-edit-

Okay............ I couldn't resist :/

I tired adding a normal map, I'm not very familiar with how to do normal maps for objects, I am using the shitty Nvidia plugin.

http://s232.photobucket.com/albums....orm.jpg

Any tips?

Also, should I bother doing this for most or all objects? I imagine Avgani would lag to death.

when you use the nvidia plugin, dont just do it all in one go, make several copies of the colour map, desaturate them and seperate the large details from the fine details before you run the filter on each, so that you have say; copy 1= fine detail like fine grains, noise and cracks(set scale quite low), copy 2= large detail like whole bricks, large shapes (sometimes try bluring a bit). and then overlay the two together and then you can adjust opacity of each layer to your liking. Otherwise you end up with all your fine details mixed with your large detail like in that pic.

edit: yeah, that tutorial's pretty much what im talking about different means to the same end, kind of.

That building looks like great fun to attack and defend from. Does it have building positions and AI paths?

Economy is great. I'm just saying that the repeating wear pattern on the walls is the first thing that I saw. You could make the pattern more generic by taking off any obvious variations in shape, like there are some horn shapes jutting out at the top left. Or, you could make some different tiles for them. Or, I guess, you could leave it as it is and live with the face that it looks like a pattern.

That building looks like great fun to attack and defend from. Does it have building positions and AI paths?

They are the same thing, yes I'm working on it for all buildings that are enterable.

Anyways, does this normal map look better?

http://i232.photobucket.com/albums/ee219/Opteryx_album/norm1.jpg

I'm not really sure what I should be aiming for... also here's the normal map:

http://i232.photobucket.com/albums....ohq.jpg

Good? Bad? What could be improved?

The normal map is looking good! Keep it up like this biggrin_o.gif

The cement render is set into the bricks, see how the edges are being lit upside down?, actually everything is upside down, you can fix this by inverting the green and red channels on your normal map.

Also looks like you could go in and erase some of the large detail in some selected area's, like for the cabnet you've brought out that stain in the normalmap, when it should be flat.

mikebart is right the normals are inverse. Rule of thumb: if your normal map looks the way it should then its wrong :P invert it.